AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2008-04-03, 06:15   Link #961
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: \(_o)/
Well they've already got the unit model and animation for it, mine as well chuck it in the editor if you ask me, would be a quite waste if they didn't imo, especially considering as a number of you guys already mentioned W3 had some neat little SC extra too.

Anywayz a comparison vid that may be of interest to some here, using footage from the Zerg Release Video renacted with normal Starcraft, I don't think the creator had Broodwar as medics and lurkers were no where to be found when they should've been in it lol

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/player.html?vid=1725
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 11:29   Link #962
Cheezy
brrr
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sweden
Send a message via MSN to Cheezy
Blizzard has alredy confirmed that units that won't make it to the final game will be avaiable for use in the editor.

The Tauren Marine will also be included.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 12:20   Link #963
HaZzArD
Kenpachi FTW
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Send a message via AIM to HaZzArD
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
A quick off topic question:

Has anyone read the starcraft novels? and are they any good?
I'm interested at buying The StarCraft Archive and the Queen of Blades.

Need more Kerrigan (Can't find the right smiley)
my friend has one of there books dont remember which and told me it was horrible..
__________________
Currently Watching: We Got Married - Bleach - Clannad ~After Story~ - Toradora! - Kannagi - Chaos;Head - Kyou no Go Ni TV - Rosario + Vampire Capu2 - Yozakura Quarlet - Kemeko Deluxe - ef - a tale of melodies

Waiting on: Full Metal Panic! - Suzumiya Haruhi - Hana Kimi SP
HaZzArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 12:23   Link #964
Xellos-_^
Valentine's Day with Wife
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
Blizzard has alredy confirmed that units that won't make it to the final game will be avaiable for use in the editor.

The Tauren Marine will also be included.
Are the Tauren Marine's going to say "don't have a cow" or mad cow coming through. And will there be any Red Bulls


Quote:
Originally Posted by lilguy View Post
It's probably a unit in the editor, like the Space Fel Orcs in Warcraft III

Whenever i say space going orcs, i automatically think of the Scros form Spelljammer.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 18:17   Link #965
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZzArD View Post
my friend has one of there books dont remember which and told me it was horrible..
That would be Queen of Blades, since it flew in the face of everything canon.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 16:39   Link #966
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
That would be Queen of Blades, since it flew in the face of everything canon.
Which novels that don't suck do you need to read if you want to read more of/about Kerrigan?
chaos_alfa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 13:11   Link #967
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
Which novels that don't suck do you need to read if you want to read more of/about Kerrigan?
Order of the books chronologically:

Uprising, Speed of Darkness, Liberty's Crusade (ep 1 novelization), Queen of Blades (ep 2 novelization), Shadows of the Xelnaga (between SC and BW), Dark Templar trilogy (post BW)
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 13:36   Link #968
IHaveCrayons
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheezy View Post
Blizzard has alredy confirmed that units that won't make it to the final game will be avaiable for use in the editor.

The Tauren Marine will also be included.
They should have a unit editor! Then the possibilities of user created maps would be endless...
IHaveCrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 14:53   Link #969
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
If you mean by editing stats, that's a given.

If you mean as in creating units, then you can do that too, as long as you have the right programs to port them into the game and you know what you're doing.
__________________
Signature removed by a Moderator because it was too big
lilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 15:08   Link #970
IHaveCrayons
Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilguy View Post
If you mean by editing stats, that's a given.

If you mean as in creating units, then you can do that too, as long as you have the right programs to port them into the game and you know what you're doing.
But I mean, having the units be able to be downloaded with the map rather than a separate package for user-created maps.
IHaveCrayons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-05, 15:43   Link #971
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Order of the books chronologically:

Uprising, Speed of Darkness, Liberty's Crusade (ep 1 novelization), Queen of Blades (ep 2 novelization), Shadows of the Xelnaga (between SC and BW), Dark Templar trilogy (post BW)
But you did say the Queen of Blades was bad. So the Kerrigan parts aren't?
oke that was my last question, because I think I'm irritating you enough with all these questions.
chaos_alfa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-06, 13:47   Link #972
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Queen of Blades was very bad because it completely flew in the face of the first zerg and some of the first protoss campaign. For instance, in the campaign, Raynor never directly confronts Kerrigan as she opens from the cocoon. Second of all, it happens above ground, not in some underground passageway. Third of all, Zeratul is not characterized very well at all, ditto Tassadar. Fourth of all, Tassadar never confronts Kerrigan directly in the game. Fifth of all, near the end, Tassadar, Zeratul, and Raynor keep hitting and running the zerg armies and whittle them down quite hard when in the game, the exact opposite is true--Zeratul's and Tassadar's armies are both relatively destroyed and Zeratul has to retreat within an installation to hide from Kerrigan. Sixth of all, Tassadar kills the player character cerebrate before the Zerg campaign ends if I recall in the book. Seventh of all, when Aldaris and Artanis (Artanis was the executor--that is, the player character, for the first protoss campaign) arrive to arrest Tassadar, they find him on Char itself and Zeratul vanishes right then and there (stupid), when in the game, he was stuck on a space platform with only Raynor and one HT remaining there.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
Demongod86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 07:36   Link #973
Tokkan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Australia
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Blizzard changes the canon in their games all the time. I mean, they changed it so that Duke was promoted to General through the course of the first Terran campaign rather than having been a General "for 15 years".

On the Warcraft side, the Ereder were originally always evil and demonic and were the ones who corrupted Sargeras. With WoW they reversed that, the Ereder were once fundamentally good but Sargeras corrupted them with the temptation of power.

They even changed pronunciations a few times, Khadgar was originally pronounced "Card-garr", but with Warcraft III TFT the pronunciation was changed to "Kad-gurr". Same with "Draenor", originally it was just "Druh-nore", but it was changed to "Dray-nore" and "Drah-nore" (both are used, confusingly).

The point here is that Blizzard is never consistent, so novels not being consistent shouldn't matter.
__________________
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 08:54   Link #974
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
They even changed pronunciations a few times, Khadgar was originally pronounced "Card-garr", but with Warcraft III TFT the pronunciation was changed to "Kad-gurr". Same with "Draenor", originally it was just "Druh-nore", but it was changed to "Dray-nore" and "Drah-nore" (both are used, confusingly).

The point here is that Blizzard is never consistent, so novels not being consistent shouldn't matter.
I certainly agree that Blizzard isn't shy in reinventing their own game-lores.

However, the changes in pronunciations is probably the least significant of them all. After all, we can assume the words are not from human languages. So like how we can't agree on how to pronounce some Japanese names in English, pronunciation of Orc or Dark Elf tongues in English can be given some leeway.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-08, 21:32   Link #975
kgptzac
Summoner of the Third Eye
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86 View Post
Order of the books chronologically:

Uprising, Speed of Darkness, Liberty's Crusade (ep 1 novelization), Queen of Blades (ep 2 novelization), Shadows of the Xelnaga (between SC and BW), Dark Templar trilogy (post BW)
so books like Nova aren't canon? ._. i like the cover of that book...
kgptzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 00:15   Link #976
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: \(_o)/
It sounds canon enough, if wiki is anything to go by that is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft_Ghost:_Nova
Spoiler for wiki's plot summary:


Anywayz a new Q&A batch is up:

Quote:
Chat with the Devs: As of recent, the Dev Team has added a new ability to the Protoss Carrier that will give it a little more Umph! versus Zerg Corrupter attacks or Viking raids. In the past, the Carrier simply had a large swarm of Interceptor fighters which you had to build from scratch. Carriers now come built with 4 Interceptors already loaded (which is also the max number of Interceptors currently). They also have the new ability to have Escorts built for a temporary power boost to focus fire. Strike Fighter Escorts cost resources to build and last only 45 seconds, but add a decent amount of firepower to a Carriers attack. A Carrier can have a maximum of 4 Escorts. Escorts are given attack orders to focus-fire on whatever the Carrier is attacking and they can be destroyed independently of the Carrier or each other. The cost for these Escorts will be significant enough to where players will not want to just have the max number all of the time, as that would bleed your economy needlessly. Thus, players will have to pick and choose their battles in where they want the full force of the Protoss fleet present.

Q: I'm guessing these new escorts can attack both land and air, am i right?
A: The escorts for the Protoss Carrier in its current state, hits both ground and air. Furthermore, they take about 1 second to warp in to battle alongside your Carrier after you make the order to summon them.

Q: When Interceptors get destroyed do we have to manually rebuild them or do they get replaced automatically? Also, does it cost resources to replace them, and how long do they take to come back?
A: Building Interceptors can be toggled to 'auto-build' or be set to manual build. Like the original StarCraft, the Interceptors will cost resources to build (when you lose any from the original 4).
For sauce and the rest of the batch: http://www.battle.net/forums/thread....hreadID=851269
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 04:55   Link #977
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgptzac View Post
so books like Nova aren't canon? ._. i like the cover of that book...
He was talking about the chronology of the novels in the Starcraft Archive.

And because the novels are canon I think the novel of Nova is also canon.
chaos_alfa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-10, 09:58   Link #978
krisslanza
Sleep beneath the flowers
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Lording above all of humanity >;3
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Blizzard changes the canon in their games all the time. I mean, they changed it so that Duke was promoted to General through the course of the first Terran campaign rather than having been a General "for 15 years".

On the Warcraft side, the Ereder were originally always evil and demonic and were the ones who corrupted Sargeras. With WoW they reversed that, the Ereder were once fundamentally good but Sargeras corrupted them with the temptation of power.

They even changed pronunciations a few times, Khadgar was originally pronounced "Card-garr", but with Warcraft III TFT the pronunciation was changed to "Kad-gurr". Same with "Draenor", originally it was just "Druh-nore", but it was changed to "Dray-nore" and "Drah-nore" (both are used, confusingly).

The point here is that Blizzard is never consistent, so novels not being consistent shouldn't matter.
Blizzard officially says they only change stuff around if it makes more sense or something along those lines.

And realistically speaking retconning is something that is completely normal for things to go through... or I assume so since I doubt Blizzard every thought Warcraft/Starcraft would sell so well and people would be very interested in its storyline.
__________________
krisslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 09:57   Link #979
NervZero
RAWR!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: United States
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to NervZero
StarCraft 2

How many people are thinking of playing Starcraft 2 when it comes out?
NervZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 11:29   Link #980
Chaos2Frozen
Ano Waza...!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
And realistically speaking retconning is something that is completely normal for things to go through... or I assume so since I doubt Blizzard every thought Warcraft/Starcraft would sell so well and people would be very interested in its storyline.
Starcraft, maybe... Since it was their first attempt at a science-fic story (i think)

But Warcraft? After 2+ successful games ... Ever they got to know people love it...
__________________

~"EVERYTHING is vulnerable to destruction! "~
Chaos2Frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blizzard, rts, starcraft, windows

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.