AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2004-12-14, 02:15   Link #1
Shift_

PSP problems reported in... PSP = 0wned for now...:)

http://boards.ign.com/PSP_Lobby/b7205/74309462/?9

So not so unlike sony 1st revisions have TONS of problems.

And poor battery life. Ridge Racer single player lasts 90 mins to 3 hours depending on screen brightness, volume, and headphones or not.

Hopefully this will be fixed before I pick mine up in March.

But so far

I've heard no problems with the DS and they're almost sold out everywhere, one person I know got a dead pixel, Nintendo replaced it right away, and thew in a free game to boot (of his choice)
Old 2004-12-14, 02:25   Link #2
RedEyes
Beware of the Red

Send a message via ICQ to RedEyes Send a message via MSN to RedEyes
Speaking of ign read this
http://nintendonow.com/index.php?cat...15ebe04f1fcf7f
RedEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 02:48   Link #3
DarkCntry
Blue Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyes
Ironic that a site obviously bias to Nintendo talks about a site's bias against Nintendo

Anyways, the PSP's issues have been well documented and has stated that for the time-being, there were no planned changes until the first revisions of the PSP is completed, which will probably be either very late 2005 or early 2006.

The battery life thing, that's standard flair for Sony's portable products...I believe it's mainly due to the fact they use some sub-standard batteries to power a lot of their products.

It should also note, I guess I could be classified as a Sony fanboy since 99% of my electronic equipment is Sony :P But even I know that Sony tends to have good electronics after they work out the kinks
Old 2004-12-14, 02:59   Link #4
Shift_

http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4010

I really hope they fix it I WANT ONE.

I'm REALLY dissapointed at sony though, after more reading, sony only released 200000 units (that's 200 thousand) stores wern't allowed to PRE-ORDER, so people HAD NO CHOICE but to wait in line.

Fuck they used japan like a fucking publiciity stunt that's just low respect to the gamers man.

Nintendo atleast repects the gamers still.
Old 2004-12-14, 03:01   Link #5
RedEyes
Beware of the Red

Well they did the line up thing, I believe for the hype.
You know to hype the situation up. If you see 1200 ppl lining up for a system, wouldn't you want to blend in? I think that's their stratagy
Old 2004-12-14, 03:03   Link #6
DekaMaster
Banned

I love nintendo fanboys they are always so much fun. NINTENDO RULES
SONY RUINED GAMING
XBOX IS A STUPID PC

HAHAH You guys are all funny
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 03:06   Link #7
Shift_

but man, that's low limiting the systems so people would line up, then the people who waited GETS a faulty system which sony probally won't do anything about.

THAT'S LOW.

Like I said though, I'll buy one. It had better be problem free. Or else, I'll just have to buy another one when it IS problem free...doesn't that suck

Oh well I have my DS
Old 2004-12-14, 03:07   Link #8
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods

Wait in line? not me. I got someone else to wait in line for me :P I will have it in my hands in a week when she flies back. yay. Too bad that they only allow one PSP per person.

BTW, making people wait in line is a publicity stunt. It gets the news to report it and everyone beings to discuss/complain about it, free news coverage it, etc. What better way at FREE ADVERTISEMENTS! Capitalism.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 03:10   Link #9
RedEyes
Beware of the Red

Sony's reason is because they want to see how the system will sell as their first shipment.

But really, the whole thing is another marketing strategy, the irony is they only managed to sell 170k-175k units. So all those people lined up for nothing, they could have gotten a PSP anyway since there's 25k left in storage.
Old 2004-12-14, 05:24   Link #10
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift_
http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=4010

I really hope they fix it I WANT ONE.

I'm REALLY dissapointed at sony though, after more reading, sony only released 200000 units (that's 200 thousand) stores wern't allowed to PRE-ORDER, so people HAD NO CHOICE but to wait in line.

Fuck they used japan like a fucking publiciity stunt that's just low respect to the gamers man.

Nintendo atleast repects the gamers still.
Meh, even if they did allow preorders, there would still be lines as people waited to be the first to pick theirs up. Well as someone fully satisfied with his gameboy color, I have no intention of getting either a ds or psp until they come down in price, or a game that I must have comes out.
edit: seems like a lot of the problems are manufacturing issues, not actual design flaws.

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2004-12-14 at 05:40.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 09:07   Link #11
Archaic

Send a message via AIM to Archaic Send a message via MSN to Archaic Send a message via Skype™ to Archaic
As someone actually living in Japan, I only have this to say.

On the day of the PSP launch, I happened to be at the Bic Camera (Major electronics chain) near Nagoya station towards late afternoon, having just visited the nearby Animate and Melon Books stores. There were 3 PSP bikini girls standing outside the secondary entrance (This is the one directly outside the games section, as opposed to the main one, which opens into mobile phones, so that's not a bad thing in itself), though for some reason the huge Mario statue next to the door hadn't been moved, and so actually was in the way of their backdrop. Inside, there were many people crowded around the DS displays, a number around both the PS2 and Gamecube displays....and the only PSP related activity one could see happening was a few people at the front counter making various complaints (Disc wouldn't play, system wouldn't turn on, etc). There was a large stock of PSP's available, but honestly, the stack of boxs was more of an obstacle for customers trying to move about rather than anything else. Not a single person even picked up a box while I was watching.

Successful launch? Only if successful launch means having people line up outside cold wet stores from midnight when they could've come in later and bought it with no lines whatsoever. The only people who should be forced to wait in line like that are us fools planning on getting into Comike as it opens.
Old 2004-12-14, 09:39   Link #12
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
The battery life thing, that's standard flair for Sony's portable products...I believe it's mainly due to the fact they use some sub-standard batteries to power a lot of their products.
i guess sony will release/sell replacement batteries with higher amp after some time
so that might solve this problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCntry
It should also note, I guess I could be classified as a Sony fanboy since 99% of my electronic equipment is Sony :P But even I know that Sony tends to have good electronics after they work out the kinks
agree the first production of almost every sony device tends to be buggy (experienced few times myself)
i guess that is why people, like me, wait till most problems are sorted out, before they import such things from sony
this might also affect their launch sales... probably
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 10:19   Link #13
AnimeFangirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic

On the day of the PSP launch, I happened to be at the Bic Camera (Major electronics chain) near Nagoya station towards late afternoon, having just visited the nearby Animate and Melon Books stores. There were 3 PSP bikini girls standing outside the secondary entrance (This is the one directly outside the games section, as opposed to the main one, which opens into mobile phones, so that's not a bad thing in itself), though for some reason the huge Mario statue next to the door hadn't been moved, and so actually was in the way of their backdrop. Inside, there were many people crowded around the DS displays, a number around both the PS2 and Gamecube displays....and the only PSP related activity one could see happening was a few people at the front counter making various complaints (Disc wouldn't play, system wouldn't turn on, etc). There was a large stock of PSP's available, but honestly, the stack of boxs was more of an obstacle for customers trying to move about rather than anything else. Not a single person even picked up a box while I was watching.

Successful launch? Only if successful launch means having people line up outside cold wet stores from midnight when they could've come in later and bought it with no lines whatsoever. The only people who should be forced to wait in line like that are us fools planning on getting into Comike as it opens.
*wonders what Archaic is doing in Nagoya this time of year*
My brothers have been all over me with every single bit of bad news available about the PSP. As hardcore Nintendo lovers (dare I say fanboys?) they have been hit hard by IGN's betrayal and can't help gloating now that the DS is doing so well.
I don't think it's deplorable that Sony used those tactics to hype the PSP, these are all standard business practices. If you make it look like everybody wants one, more people will automatically want one. Nobody forced the people in the queue to line up, as far as I know. But still, I find it hard to believe there were boxes and boxes of PSPs going unsold. It may have its faults, but it's not really THAAAAT bad.
Old 2004-12-14, 10:42   Link #14
Gevurah
What you say?!?!

I never really liked IGN's reviews on anything. Back in the day they were pretty good, though. I did read that article on the DS and PSP launch though out of curiosity before reading this post and many others that followed, and I was kinda surprised at the supposed bias that they threw the readers. In comparison to each review of the system, the PSP definately has more coverage. I just find it funny how Ninty fanboys go apeshit over things like that though. Granted the flaming and whatnot was, in a sense, warranted, I still find it funny.

BTW, the DS plays just fine in my hands.

It does suck to hear all the glitches and whatnot on the PSP, especially when you slightly bend the system, the disc pops out. LOL! Uber excuse if you're getting owned in a multiplayer game.

"I appear to be a plushie, but my heart is that of a wolf." - Kon
Gevurah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 11:20   Link #15
hamiko_san
September Jellyfish

10 things more, you never know.

Last edited by hamiko_san; 2007-12-25 at 16:42.
hamiko_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 11:37   Link #16
LynnieS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic

In the Bic Camera stores near Shinjuku and Shibuya stations in Tokyo at around 2-3PM, it was the opposite. I saw more people around the PSP displays than in front of the DS one; I actually don't remember seeing a DS display in the Shibuya store (B1). They were completely sold out of the PSP and had to post signs to tell shoppers that no more can be found.

I did see one man getting a PSP put back into its box and into a shopping bag, though, but I'm not sure if it was a return or something else.

It definitely wasn't a successful launch, though, IMHO. Sony may have shipped all of the units for the first round, but it sounds like there were shortages in some places or extras in others. I saw a couple of boxes of DS'es behind the counter for people to buy in Shinjuku Bic Camera, so if anyone came in for a PSP, couldn't find it, and didn't already have a DS, he could have picked up a DS immediately instead.

The Comike? I don't think that I can wait in line all night for the show.

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 12:07   Link #17
Shift_

http://boards.ign.com/PSP_Lobby/b7205/74182504/?34

and

http://boards.ign.com/PSP_Lobby/b7205/74309462/?9

Sony fanboys = STUPID
Old 2004-12-14, 12:29   Link #18
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekaMaster
I love nintendo fanboys they are always so much fun. NINTENDO RULES
SONY RUINED GAMING
XBOX IS A STUPID PC

HAHAH You guys are all funny
This is different from Sony/X-box fanboys in what way?

At the end they are all the same, some are in denial some aren't.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-14, 12:40   Link #19
DekaMaster
Banned

Sony sold 85% of their shipped PSP's in two days. People lined up to get it you people need to get over yourselves. Nintendo fans come in two flavors:

1. Nintendo Rules everything and no matter what evidence I see to the contrary nintendo is making more money and selling more than any other company

and

2. Sony ruined console gaming. They STOLE the market from nintendo. Nintendo makes real games nintendo has 1 good game for every 20 bad sony games.

The above always happen reguardless what what forum or website you go to. If you nintendo people are so happy with the company you chose to support ( and not the games it makes) then be happy with it and be quiet. Do you see any threads slamming the DS? There is more than enough negative to say about the DS but the other fans are happier playing games than bitching about other companies.
Old 2004-12-14, 12:48   Link #20
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS

It definitely wasn't a successful launch, though, IMHO. Sony may have shipped all of the units for the first round, but it sounds like there were shortages in some places or extras in others. I saw a couple of boxes of DS'es behind the counter for people to buy in Shinjuku Bic Camera, so if anyone came in for a PSP, couldn't find it, and didn't already have a DS, he could have picked up a DS immediately instead.

The Comike? I don't think that I can wait in line all night for the show.
yeah selling 85% of their first shipment and having people lined up isn't succesful. And also Spider-man 2 making 500mil is a failure and you know what else the Star Trek franchise is a bomb they never made any money. And and you know what else Dragon Quest 8 is a BOMB in japan outselling any game ever for launch.

Get a clue