AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2007-01-25, 02:24   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

well.. it probably won't be 5 years, but it depends on who you're insured with ... but that is kind of depressing - just from the good history standpoint.

You might check to see if there's some kind of "driver's class" you can take to lop off 10% or some such option that many insurance companies offer.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 08:00   Link #22
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
I understand. Though at least you didn't get ticketed by those people we call "Officers". Though property damage is pretty much worse than and speeding ticket you get.

Your rates are just gonna increase.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 08:25   Link #23
phantom_ryder

really sorry to hear about your bad day mate.. maybe watching some azumanga daioh might help? if you're into that.. i know its only a slight consolation though, but it always cheers me up and yeah, its definitely a great thing no one got hurt. hope you have a few good days coming up!
phantom_ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 12:55   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah.. the Azumanga episodes that profile Yukari-chan's driving skills might light up your day
Old 2007-01-25, 13:28   Link #25
LSD-25
Psychedelic

I'll check it out but it'll have to wait until I'm behind something better than dial-up. I have to get my fix via a laptop and a friend's cable line atm. ;p

Quote:
I understand. Though at least you didn't get ticketed by those people we call "Officers". Though property damage is pretty much worse than and speeding ticket you get.
I've got one warning ticket in my time (for running 85mph in a 45mph zone). Don't ask me how I managed to get off with a warning, I still trying to figure that one out. Thankfully I didn't get another and that warning dropped from my record over a year ago.
LSD-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 18:26   Link #26
ImperialPanda

I remember back when I was learning how to drive, coming up to a decent-sized right turn that was also downhill. Didn't slow down and went clear into the other side and my right wheels felt like they almost left the ground.

My dad knew it was gonna happen and just let me do it cause he saw there weren't any cars going the other way. Almost gave me a heart attack the bastard. ><

Only ride the bus on campus so my driving record is clean. ^^ But I'm worried about when I start driving everyday lol.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 20:02   Link #27
Ending

Insurance companies are evil. You really have to wonder how they managed to worm their way into the position of "mandatory-by-law." Imagine, 1,000 € price every year (for nothing), spotless record for five years (for nothing), and after a single crash you gain the priviledge to pay them another 1,000 € every year.

Although, IMO, you can decrease the costs by striking a good deal with a repair-shop and keeping the issue out of record. And, of course, finding the cheapest possible insurance. Their terms are crap no matter what you do, since the law gives the companies a huge monopoly over your wallet.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 22:57   Link #28
Ewok

Send a message via MSN to Ewok
Since its not his car he can't do a non-insurance repair job, because it will affect the value of the car and just cause more trouble if they have an accident themselves later on with the same car.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 11:03   Link #29
Ending

That can be solved by negotiating with the owner, which shouldn't be a biggie if he trusted to give his car in the first place. The value of the car will not shift in any way if no one knows it has been tampered with. After all, it just needs a new paintwork and any half-decend repair-shop can do that.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 13:39   Link #30
LSD-25
Psychedelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
That can be solved by negotiating with the owner, which shouldn't be a biggie if he trusted to give his car in the first place. The value of the car will not shift in any way if no one knows it has been tampered with. After all, it just needs a new paintwork and any half-decend repair-shop can do that.
The car I was in doesn't need much paint, but I did put a few dings in the bumper and with these new cars theres no telling how much that will cost. Thankfully it's my roommates car and he's not going to turn it into insurance. I'm just going to pay him in cash for the body work.

The other guy I'm not so sure about. He's my brother's friend and I don't know him that well. He didn't get mad when I showed him the damage or anything. I told him I'd pay for it if he'd find out how much it was going to cost but he acted like he didn't care at all. Word is he isn't going to get it fixed. (edit: because of him I have a new fondness for stoner kids with rich parents. )

Maybe my rates won't go up after all.
LSD-25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 12:23   Link #31
Tiberium Wolf

Driving system

I just decided to post here since I couldn't find a answer in google.

I think most countries you drive from the right lane having the driving seat in left side of the car. Now why does GB has it completely the opposite? I think Japan also has GB system.

I find this system hard to accept. I mean it's like you use your right hand to write and then when you go to another country and there they say: "Sorry. In this country if you want to write anything you must use your left hand". WTF!
If you change an habit you are bound to make mistakes. Since driving is something serious you wouldn't want to make a mistake that would generate into an accident.
Old 2007-08-07, 13:06   Link #32
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post
I just decided to post here since I couldn't find a answer in google.
Perhaps if you tried Wiki
Quote:
Now why does GB has it completely the opposite?
You have it wrong, it's the other 66% of the world that has it opposite
Quote:
I find this system hard to accept.
In which case I'm sure the universe will ask your permission whenever another serious situation such as this arises...

BTW, interesting to note that "even though originally most traffic drove on the left worldwide".

Part of the reason can be found in the Wiki entry. "Today, just four European countries still drive on the left: Britain, Ireland, Cyprus, and Malta. These are all islands, and therefore have no land border with countries that drive on the right."
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 13:38   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I find the whole situation solved by driving directly down the center and weaving erratically from left to right .... actually, its not that I do that but it seems like most of the driving public does.
Old 2007-08-07, 13:41   Link #34
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris View Post
Perhaps if you tried Wiki

You have it wrong, it's the other 66% of the world that has it opposite
I did use it... didn't see that entry before... now I do.

Really interesting history facts in that entry. Never to late to know more about history.
Old 2007-08-07, 13:44   Link #35
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

~ Vexx

If there's no car in sight, there's no reason to drive on the left or right.
Why strain yourself if you have the hole road to yourself.

It's not that surprising if you think about it.
Old 2007-08-07, 13:52   Link #36
Tiberium Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I find the whole situation solved by driving directly down the center and weaving erratically from left to right .... actually, its not that I do that but it seems like most of the driving public does.
"weaving erratically" LOL.

The most dangerous ppl in Portugal roads are the ppl that drink, speeders and old timers. The laters well... you should see them going in the highway but in the left lane and even with cars coming at them doing light signals them don't even stop. Or the one a few months ago were a old couple ended up driving in the trains tracks and went they were stopped the old man said it felt strange the road. The car was being bumped all the way by the railroad. LOL. Anyway those old timers had only 50 or so years.

I find it very easy to have an accident with car. Too many things to pay attention. Changing your way to drive increases the odds a lot.

Last edited by Tiberium Wolf; 2007-08-07 at 14:22.
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 14:21   Link #37
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
I find very easy an accident with car. Too many things to pay attention.
...Which is exactly why I refuse to drive when unnecessary, and another reason why I chose SF to go to school to (wonderful transportation system). Whenever I drive, I can just feel years peeling off of my lifespan -- it's just too stressful for me to do all the time.
Old 2007-08-07, 14:37   Link #38
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
and being a learner driver myself it can be pretty scary seeing the car drift left or right especially at speed...@_@

there isnt a real answer to this question though...same problem for me if i had to go to america where they drive on the "wrong" side of the road

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 14:47   Link #39
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
The united States is the only Country in the world that uses the "Customary Units", it's so annoying converting miles into kilometers. *&(^%*(&#*(& don't even get me started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
and being a learner driver myself it can be pretty scary seeing the car drift left or right especially at speed...@_@

there isnt a real answer to this question though...same problem for me if i had to go to america where they drive on the "wrong" side of the road
In my sense "we" are not driving on the wrong side, ya guys are ^_^

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 16:13   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Probably the best argument for universal mass transit is that it doesn't require huge masses of hairless upright monkeys to comprehend basic physics and have eye-hand coordination --- it becomes actually OKAY to have a few drinks, teenagers have to find other ways to make fatal mistakes, old folks who shouldn't be driving don't have to, all the hidden costs of owning cars vanish, 40,000 people a year in the US don't die with all the secondary ramifications of that. sorry, I'll go have a quiet time in the dandelions now......