AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2004-12-22, 02:06   Link #1
jondnew
Huge Member

Question Burning anime to dvd+r media

Hi everyone I have purchased a sony dual layer dvd burner....it works great however I have one beef...I havent been able to burn 4.7 gigs of anime or any file for that matter and be able to watch it on a dvd player....I can only burn the episodes as a data disc and thus can only play them on a computer....what I want to know is if there is some way to burn an entire series or what have you (totaling the entire 4.7 gigs of files) and watch them on a dvd player with menus etc.

Any help or suggestions (i.e. guides) will be EXTREMELY appreciated

Thanks
jondnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 03:35   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

No. There isn't any way to encode 4.4 gigs of anime to watch on a DVD player.

Here's the deal: DVD players can't play avi files. They don't know anything about DivX, XviD or the rest of the codecs we use. You need to encode them in the format DVD players use. That means only about 4-8 episodes per DVD depending on how much video quality you are willing to loose.

When you bought your DVD recorder it probably came with software that will enable you to do this. Otherwise you're probably going to have to buy software for that purpose since I don't know of any freeware DVD encoding software.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 06:52   Link #3
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

...or buy a DVD player which can play DivX. They're not common, but they do exist.

However I don't recommend it for anime as such players usually don't handle "TV overscan"
very well, which in practice means all the subtitles will fall of the screen, making it unviewable.

I use TMPEnc XPress 3.0 to encode AVI to DVD format btw.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-22, 22:13   Link #4
darkthought

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondnew
Hi everyone I have purchased a sony dual layer dvd burner....it works great however I have one beef...I havent been able to burn 4.7 gigs of anime or any file for that matter and be able to watch it on a dvd player....I can only burn the episodes as a data disc and thus can only play them on a computer....what I want to know is if there is some way to burn an entire series or what have you (totaling the entire 4.7 gigs of files) and watch them on a dvd player with menus etc.

Any help or suggestions (i.e. guides) will be EXTREMELY appreciated

Thanks
I've found that if add about 10% blackspace around the video, overscan is no longer a problem. It just takes a LOAD of harddrive and time to save the new file. I use VirtualDubMod to split audio and video and some subtitle tracks, not to mention other evil things. http://www.virtualdub.org/index is the homepage. I have yet to have a file that it can't open... OGG, MKV, various MPEG formats, AVI... it does it all. Did I mention it's free?
darkthought is offline   Reply With Quote