AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2004-12-30, 15:33   Link #101
Sheriff lobo
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/041230/ap/d87a4sqg0.html

400,000 ? Wow.. 280,000 disappeared in thin air ?
im guessing the 120,000 are confirmed deaths and indonesia's 400,000 are just estimates.
Sheriff lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 15:54   Link #102
ff7799
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York
Age: 30
Send a message via AIM to ff7799 Send a message via MSN to ff7799
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff lobo
im guessing the 120,000 are confirmed deaths and indonesia's 400,000 are just estimates.
Well the thing is that 400,000 number is only a slight estimate, yah see 7 islands off the coast are now gone, some islands populated by more than 100,000 people, they only had ruff estimates at that since they don't keep a actual census, meaning more people died than they knew of, right now the losses are probably closer 3/4 of a million which is ruffly 750,000 people, and we aren't even counting other places, also official reports are starting to get pulled off the net it would seem meaning they are trying to stop havock from occuring, This thing will most likely rise above a million.
ff7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 15:58   Link #103
kuroitatsu
‹ber Alles
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to kuroitatsu
did you know that this earthquake actually speed up earths rotation.
South Asia Quake affects Earth's axis
Thursday, December 30, 2004

CALIFORNIA:The quake that set off the devastating tsunami literally shook the Earth to its core, scientists believe, accelerating its rotation and shortening days by a fraction of a second. It may be necessary to add a "leap second" in years to come in order to correct the change.

Meanwhile, experts said the quake, which measured 9.0 on the Richter scale, may have shifted some small islands in the region by more than 30 metres.

Richard Gross, a geophysicist with Nasa's jet propulsion laboratory in California, said he believed a shift of mass towards the Earth's centre caused the planet to spin three microseconds - one millionth of a second - faster. It also caused the planet to tilt around 2.5cm on its axis.

"[The forcing of one tectonic plate beneath the edge of another] had the effect of making the Earth more compact and spinning faster," he said, saying that the changes were too slight to be detected by global positioning satellite networks.

Mr Gross said the circular path of the Earth's poles normally varied by up to 10 metres. As a result, an added wobble of a few centimetres was unlikely to have any long-term effects. "The rotation is not actually that precise. The Earth does slow down and change its rate of rotation," he said. When the tiny variations accumulate, planetary scientists must add a "leap second" to the end of a year, something that has not been done in many years.

Geologists said changes on the Earth's surface were more noticeable, shifting the island of Sumatra 36 metres to the south-west. Ken Hudnutt of the US Geological Survey said: "Some of the smaller islands off the south-west coast of Sumatra may have moved to the south-west by about 20 metres."
__________________
Mobius 1, Fox Two. Mobius 1, Splash
kuroitatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 16:10   Link #104
Sheriff lobo
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff7799
Well the thing is that 400,000 number is only a slight estimate, yah see 7 islands off the coast are now gone, some islands populated by more than 100,000 people, they only had ruff estimates at that since they don't keep a actual census, meaning more people died than they knew of, right now the losses are probably closer 3/4 of a million which is ruffly 750,000 people, and we aren't even counting other places, also official reports are starting to get pulled off the net it would seem meaning they are trying to stop havock from occuring, This thing will most likely rise above a million.
Yeah i was going to say that 400k was a modest estimate at best if you take into account the aftermath of this tragedy. There are even a few islands unaccoutned for due to communication issues.
Sheriff lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 16:24   Link #105
elniro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London, UK!!
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to elniro
This is a tragedy beyond words, and i hope it will not live up to the estimates, but when i heard of previous disasters such as the 1970 cyclone in Bangladesh which killed 500,000 i just cannot believe these sort of disasters occur
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 17:44   Link #106
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by elniro
This is a tragedy beyond words, and i hope it will not live up to the estimates, but when i heard of previous disasters such as the 1970 cyclone in Bangladesh which killed 500,000 i just cannot believe these sort of disasters occur
Actually that one caused a million fatalities. The biggest EQ was in China , with about 900.000 deaths.

This one is well on it's way tho..

And im happy to anounce that the Dutch people have so far brought up 9,2 million euro's in donations. Damn aren't we generous.
__________________
hm....
Animizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 19:57   Link #107
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sol System
And now a new twist (sort of). India's PM announced that they will not accept any foreign aid or aid workers. Singh goes on to say that they have enough resources and manpower to handle their own problems. Of course, there's the est 13,000 dead and most people believe that this is an understatement. Hmm. Could this be that it's political? If I remember right the Hizbul separatists (in the Dravida Nadu region - southern tip of India) are in the region hit right? Can it be a form of retribution?

Well, I guess that there's more aid for other countries. There are many who will need a lot of aid and are more approachable.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-30, 21:17   Link #108
phoenixfire92983
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: California
Age: 30
Send a message via ICQ to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via AIM to phoenixfire92983 Send a message via MSN to phoenixfire92983
I'm rather surprised by India's decision, but at least more money will be put forth to other countries who have a greater need for aid.

In other news: Some doctors now fear the death count will increase exponentially due to diseases now Already traces of disease have shown up in a couple areas and a lot of hospitals were destoryed from the tsunami. Besides cholera, dysentary, and typhoid fever, they also fear that malaria and dengue fever will spread rapidly. There's a lot of stagnant water around right now which is perfect for mosquitos to breed and spread these diseases. Overall, its a really grim situation over there

Here's a article that talks more about it:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,142961,00.html
phoenixfire92983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 01:43   Link #109
sinistral
SOS団
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroitatsu
did you know that this earthquake actually speed up earths rotation.
South Asia Quake affects Earth's axis
Thursday, December 30, 2004

CALIFORNIA:The quake that set off the devastating tsunami literally shook the Earth to its core, scientists believe, accelerating its rotation and shortening days by a fraction of a second. It may be necessary to add a "leap second" in years to come in order to correct the change.

Meanwhile, experts said the quake, which measured 9.0 on the Richter scale, may have shifted some small islands in the region by more than 30 metres.

Richard Gross, a geophysicist with Nasa's jet propulsion laboratory in California, said he believed a shift of mass towards the Earth's centre caused the planet to spin three microseconds - one millionth of a second - faster. It also caused the planet to tilt around 2.5cm on its axis.

"[The forcing of one tectonic plate beneath the edge of another] had the effect of making the Earth more compact and spinning faster," he said, saying that the changes were too slight to be detected by global positioning satellite networks.

Mr Gross said the circular path of the Earth's poles normally varied by up to 10 metres. As a result, an added wobble of a few centimetres was unlikely to have any long-term effects. "The rotation is not actually that precise. The Earth does slow down and change its rate of rotation," he said. When the tiny variations accumulate, planetary scientists must add a "leap second" to the end of a year, something that has not been done in many years.

Geologists said changes on the Earth's surface were more noticeable, shifting the island of Sumatra 36 metres to the south-west. Ken Hudnutt of the US Geological Survey said: "Some of the smaller islands off the south-west coast of Sumatra may have moved to the south-west by about 20 metres."
wow.. i didn't know that.. impressive stuff u have.. i enjoyed reading your news.
sinistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 04:58   Link #110
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
And now a new twist (sort of). India's PM announced that they will not accept any foreign aid or aid workers. Singh goes on to say that they have enough resources and manpower to handle their own problems. Of course, there's the est 13,000 dead and most people believe that this is an understatement. Hmm. Could this be that it's political? If I remember right the Hizbul separatists (in the Dravida Nadu region - southern tip of India) are in the region hit right? Can it be a form of retribution?

Well, I guess that there's more aid for other countries. There are many who will need a lot of aid and are more approachable.
A similair event could be happen in Indonesia. The Indonesian goverment have been in war with Atjeh rebels for many decades. I would't be surprised if some people silently shrug it of that mostly banda atjeh has been hit with hunderd of thousands of deaceased and counting.
You can always bet you ass that even in the event of Natural Disasters politics play the biggest role in the aftermath.
__________________
hm....
Animizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 06:44   Link #111
elniro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London, UK!!
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to elniro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
And now a new twist (sort of). India's PM announced that they will not accept any foreign aid or aid workers. Singh goes on to say that they have enough resources and manpower to handle their own problems. Of course, there's the est 13,000 dead and most people believe that this is an understatement. Hmm. Could this be that it's political? If I remember right the Hizbul separatists (in the Dravida Nadu region - southern tip of India) are in the region hit right? Can it be a form of retribution?

Well, I guess that there's more aid for other countries. There are many who will need a lot of aid and are more approachable.

that's weird, they do have enough manpower, but they need the organisation and advanced technological help of developed countries. India are saying they can handle themselves, and they sent 2 warships with supplies and help to Sri Lanka straight after the tsunami hit.
elniro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 06:53   Link #112
ninja massacre
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: hidden byhŚla of Sweden!
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to ninja massacre
this sucks...
most of the tourists that died in thailand were sweds like me, so friends of mine have lost friends of theirs here. It's hard to believe.
I was gonna go on a vacation to khao lak where the damage is biggest in thailand but me and my family changed plans before and we changed date to the 4th jamuray, and that has now been cenceled, ofcorse
I'm a pretty lucky guy
__________________
Quote:
If you are a man, live it the way you won't regret. Protect whatever is important to you with these two arms, no matter how tough or sad it is, even if it costs you your life!
ninja massacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 10:01   Link #113
DwArD
mAnIaC
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Somewhere In This World
Age: 26
This.....is really very unexpected. I got a call from my grandfather, saying that one of my little cousin told him that a giant wave hit certain parts of Indonesia and Thailand. I don't believe of course, cos my little cousin is still a kid. I lived in Singapore, and Singapore was almost hit by the tsunami if not for Sumatra. I just read the news that Thailand already knew that a earthquake occured beneath a sea nearby, and that there is a possibility of the earthquake rupturing the sea. However, the particular station or centre was afraid that it'll be a false alarm, and that they'll be blamed for causing the decrease in number of tourists, as not all earthquakes causes tsunami. Really.......now many people in the affected are suffering. The spreading of disease is one of the main concerns now. I really can't imagine the living conditions there. Its tragedic. May the dead ones rest in peace..........
__________________
If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known.
George C. Marshall (1880 - 1959)
DwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 11:40   Link #114
StoneColdCrazy
Noumenon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Surrey, England, land of rubbishness.
Age: 34
Send a message via ICQ to StoneColdCrazy Send a message via MSN to StoneColdCrazy
COLOMBO, Dec 29 (Reuters) - Feared Tamil Tiger rebels appeared to offer an olive branch to their Sri Lankan foes on Wednesday, a month after threatening to return to war, as they struggled to cope with the aftermath of a devastating tsunami.

Appealing for aid as they cleared thousands of corpses from their northern and eastern strongholds, notorious rebel leader Velupillai Prabhakaran also issued a rare statement of condolence to the southern Sinhalese he warred against for two decades at a cost of over 64,000 lives.

"My condolences...go out to our Muslim and Sinhala brethren in the southern coastal areas, who have lost their kith and kin, and in deep sorrow," Prabhakaran said in a statement posted on the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam's Peace Secretariat Web site.

Prabhakaran's words were a far cry from his threat last month to resume the rebels' bloody freedom struggle, on hold after a three-year ceasefire, unless the government agrees to discuss granting them autonomy soon.


Latest news reports from the BBC say that aid teams and doctors from both sides of this conflict are now working together to treat survivors and locate bodies.

SCC
__________________
"There ought to be limits to freedom." - George W. Bush.
StoneColdCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 13:29   Link #115
AnimeOni
Raid-the-mods
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Sol System
It was just announced that US govt has now giving over $350 Mil. It's also est that private has raised over $100 Mil. Talk about being a 'stingy' country. This is welcome news for 2005. Start off a New Year on a positive note and hope more good news are coming.

Anyway, looks like the Sweds have really been one of the hardest foreigners hit by the Tsunamis. It doesn't surpise me. It is a major tourist spot. When I was there, I could have sworn that I was in Sweden. You sometimes see more European.
AnimeOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 14:29   Link #116
Testing321
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ???
Im wonder why we humains dont have that animal power. Ok our power is intelligence but are we sencitive ?

If only i was spiderman.
The big difference in humans sensitivity to the environment has come in the last 30,000 years or so, when...instead of adapting to their environment as all creatures throughout eternity have done, we instead began modifying our environment to suit ourselves.

Thus, genetic code that handled sensing and being in touch with one's environment became increasingly recessive, while genitic code that enhanced our brain's ability to develop problem-solving and tool-making capability became more dominant.

At any rate, back on the main topic: I am sad to say that the confirmed death toll is now at over 135,000 . I'm a bit of the starving student myself right now, only working 25 hours a week, but I'm planning on visiting the Red Cross site myself today, and making a small donation ($20 maybe).
Testing321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 16:38   Link #117
7thMethuselah
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Antwerp area, Belgium, Europa
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOni
It was just announced that US govt has now giving over $350 Mil. It's also est that private has raised over $100 Mil. Talk about being a 'stingy' country. This is welcome news for 2005. Start off a New Year on a positive note and hope more good news are coming.

Anyway, looks like the Sweds have really been one of the hardest foreigners hit by the Tsunamis. It doesn't surpise me. It is a major tourist spot. When I was there, I could have sworn that I was in Sweden. You sometimes see more European.
I may critisize Bush for some of his actions but when he decides to donating 350 mill $ then I must say : thank you mr Bush !!

About Sweden : about an hour ago they said that there are 50 confirmed dead, and that 6000 swedish citizens are still missing. I fear they will have alot more casualties too And Germany will most likely have alot of death too.

In Indonesia they no longer count the death, they are more concerned with the surviving people.

And now for some sattellite shots of the effect of the Tsunami

Spoiler for Before tsunami:


Spoiler for After tsunami:


I think words are not needed to describe these satellite pics

Not only is everything destroyed but the entire shoreline is just gone ...
__________________

7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 20:15   Link #118
KimboSlice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
death toll is over 100K

Please donate to help out.
KimboSlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 20:18   Link #119
DwArD
mAnIaC
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Somewhere In This World
Age: 26
Many countries have also scaled down their 2005 countdown celebrations. In Indonesia, the whole city have been transformed into a giant praying ceremony, where everyone prayed for the dead. In Thailand, they have the candle-lighting ceremony or something. It's really a very, very sad 'countdown' to 2005. 2005 will definitely be the worst year for those affected countries. Their whole tourism industires are badly affected, and it'll most probably take years to rebuilt everything. Tourism played a very important role in those affected countries, and now without the tourism industries, those countries are going to suffer in the long run. This tsunami really destroyed everything......and it's been raining here in Singapore for the last couple of days. Makes you sort of wonder if God is crying too....
__________________
If man does find the solution for world peace it will be the most revolutionary reversal of his record we have ever known.
George C. Marshall (1880 - 1959)
DwArD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-31, 22:11   Link #120
Kotoko
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
RIP Tsunami Victims......
Kotoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.