AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2006-01-05, 21:12   Link #21
Mazoku

I've only heard the stuff she did for Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell, but so far I haven't heard anything from her that I didn't like. She's a pretty good musician. Why can't we have music like that in our cartoons over here in america?
Mazoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 06:54   Link #22
Miacis

She's probably released several so-so mediocre background tracks, as most composers of soundtracks have. But for the most part, she consistently releases very high quality music in her works.

Of course, it really helps when most of the music you produce is for top caliber anime. (Wolf's Rain, Cowboy Bebop, GiTS, etc.) So even if she puts out a ho-hum bgm, then it's more than forgivable since the work it goes with is so stellar.
Miacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-18, 05:53   Link #23
ongakusuki

It's less a case of "has she made a bad track" (as people have said, that's subjective anyway) than a case of what I like to call the OMFG ratio - in other words, how many times a composer makes you go "Oh my (censored) God" relative to how many tracks that composer has made. Kanno has made a lot of music and a great number of those which I have heard have major OMFG potential. I thought that I'd heard the be-all and end-all of Japanese music when I came across (and personally met ) Nobuo Uematsu, but when Kanno is on top form she's possibly even a step above him.
ongakusuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-20, 00:38   Link #24
Kitty-Cat in Blanket
Leering Catgirl

Send a message via AIM to Kitty-Cat in Blanket
Quote:
Originally Posted by ongakusuki
...when Kanno is on top form she's possibly even a step above him.
I've heard a lot of both composers... and wow. That's a bold statement, but the fact that Yoko not only writes, but sings as well may just give that conclusion. The doubly talented woman is quite impressive, and my idol to be honest. Still, Nobuo has done a lot of things. His style doesn't appeal to me very much over Yoko's, though.
Kitty-Cat in Blanket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-21, 02:46   Link #25
play92

Location: Where do YOU think I live. . .just kidding. . .I live around the corner. . .
Send a message via MSN to play92 Send a message via Yahoo to play92
Well, I haven't heard all of her tracks, judging by her voice, I would say, she's not that good, and she's not bad at all. But I do like the theme song she sang for Ghost in a shell - Inner universe, but the language sounded kinda russian.
play92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 06:13   Link #26
Tempestuousfury
Continually amazed

Send a message via AIM to Tempestuousfury
Lol, Biswa you loser!!!!!!

I found you and will now torment you with billions of pms.

Well, minna, I am a "peer" that he was able to convert. Silly boy failed to mention me. *grr*

But there is Roger, his roommate *classified information!!!* who is a "peer", definitely. But I listen to GITS because this guy got me hooked, though I like the two movie osts as well, which, sadly Kanno did not work on. *sigh*

There are plenty of songs that I don't care for that she's worked on, but nothing I have ever disliked. I agreed with Biswa about the getting usedot the music, and in his car, I told him that Inner Universe wasn't that hard to get used to, though Bebop was another story.

All in all, I pretty much registered to pester Biswa, provided he's still keeping up, and to tell him that I told Sagar, who is probably asleep to tell you that Maaya Sakamoto was the voice actor for Aeris in AC? I'm sure you saw that, so I'll have to look through the credits.

*Off to fill up Biswa's inbox*
Tempestuousfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-09, 01:03   Link #27
xxaznnerd

wolf's rain op
xxaznnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-20, 03:55   Link #28
allexiel

The shocking truth about Yoko Kanno

I recently came upon some posts about her...
I'm disappointed, and for fans, If you wanna stay in the "Yoko-dream" Don't read it
It's about her, about inspiration...
And I wrote an article on http://www.fictionjunction.be

How are you feeling with this, guys?
Old 2006-10-20, 09:27   Link #29
Eurys
Crush me. ~Ringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by allexiel View Post
I'm disappointed, and for fans, If you wanna stay in the "Yoko-dream" Don't read it

That's...too vague! I'm sorry but first, there's no proof, second, if Yoko was just an image for marketing, they would have chosen someone younger and prettier (not to say she's ugly or old, but marketing is shallow). Plus, she's been in contact with so many people, we would have heard about it sooner.
Then, and the biggest offender IMO, it's just INSPIRATION, she's not ripping off other songs, there's quite a difference between "Dance of Curse" and “Carmina Burana", as well as between "Call Me, Call Me" and “Bittersweet Symphony”...

I don't buy it at all.
Old 2006-10-20, 10:26   Link #30
allexiel

Yes there is difference

I agree for the inspiration..

But some songs are really just a bad rip.
I'll prove it
Old 2006-10-20, 19:48   Link #31
Biswa

Well, the article itselt doesn't surprise me that much. I also know she gets a WHOLE lot of inspiration and kind of "copies" quite a bit? So what?? Does that mean we can't enjoy the music??

I've heard many of the original songs that she "copied" from, but many of the times I find myself liking Kanno's version better. This was even if i heard the original before i have heard her version.

Also the site is pretty vague and there was absolutely no proof to back it up. It sounds like someone just said it. As far as whether she has a TEAM to help her, then good for her! Then maybe i don't like Yoko Kanno, but i like the team, so it doesn't change anything except who I like. The music doesn't change at all.

Also, soundtracks are often not about "originality" at all. The point of soundtracks are to accompany a show and provide mood to certain scenes, and improve the overall show. Every soundtrack composer can be noticed to do this, as they take inspirations from many things they find will convey the mood of the scene best. The fact that the music CAN be assosiated in my mind with certain scenes that move me actually makes that music better, in my opinion. That's why I like soundtracks quite a bit (also because im not a huge fan of popular vocal music).

Anyway, that's my take on it. Your article is based more on opinion, so it really doesn't change a lot for "Hardcore Yoko Kanno Fans." However, it's still up to you whether you like it or not.
Biswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-21, 05:52   Link #32
samurai666
破壊大帝

Quote:
Originally Posted by allexiel View Post

There is no doubt that Yoko works with other people, I'm sure that she does not master her works (so she would need a mastering engineer), and she has had conductors conduct her scores in the past, but to claim that she hardly does anything is ridiculous. Also this blogger has no audio as evidence, and the stuff on the forum convinced me of nothing. I have heard some of this talk in the past especially concerning Ryuichi Sakamoto, but I listened to some of his work and not only sis I not enjoy it, but I could hear no link to any of Yoko's work. I am willing to bet that any interpolations are minimal at best and not simply re-works of entire songs.

With the exception of "Where Does This Ocean Go?" most of my favorite tracks by Yoko are not on that list, so I still hold her works in high regard.
samurai666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-13, 22:18   Link #33
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Yoko Kanno's work on Ragnarok Online 2

Well, I just got my hands onto about 55 of Yoko Kanno's tracks for the Korean MMORPG Ragnarok Online 2, to be released this year. I've been listening to it and I found it awesome. I've played only one game with Kanno's music before--namely Uncharted Waters 2 for the SNES, but audio quality was so low that it couldn't be really appreciated. But by just hearing this soundtrack and imagining playing a game with this... *drools*. Even more with RO, which was a game I enjoyed a lot until life got too busy

Have any of you guys listened to it yet? What did you think of it?
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-09, 13:53   Link #34
JC Denton

Come to Yoko Kanno's concert?!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/smell-of-su...ert-262772.php

Hope this isn't OT... but..

Anyone going to Yoko Kanno's concert in Korea?
It's gonna be on June 20th, apparently in celebration of Ragnarok Online 2's release on that same day.
The concert's gonna have a bunch of other songs from Kanno's other works, and when I heard that Cowboy Bebop and GITSAC songs were on the program too, I JUST HAD to sign up.

Unfortunately, tickets were gobbled up in less than an hour after ticket reservations started, and this was almost a month ago...

Seems a whole buttload of tenbuyers bought a bunch of extra tickets and are selling them online for at least double the price. That's sure gonna scare off a lot of people, but fortunately for me, I'm going to this concert no matter what, and I got in contact with plenty of jerks who're willing to sell me some tickets.

Yay! So I can get me some tickets!
But my problem is, I don't wanna go by myself.
Can't let anyone at school know about this either... "WHa, ANIMU concert? *giggle* what a dork."
I'd be labeled "Mr. Otaku" before I know it.
Yeah, and my best friend only "might" tag along. Such hesitance.. he's an avid anime fan too!

Yessum, so I was wondering if anyone else from this forum's going.
The fact that it's gonna be hold in Korea's gonna annoy some ppl, that's for sure though...
"Come shee za conshert??"
JC Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-10, 20:34   Link #35
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Oh, man, the envy!

This is the first time of my life I truly wished I was born as someone else :S

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-11, 17:36   Link #36
EusebioKun
OMG I go to college!

Send a message via AIM to EusebioKun
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolicon View Post
There is a huge difference between making a bad track, and releasing it. Every musician has tons of stuff thats just unfinished, ideas that were never developed, weird experimentation, and just plain bad stuff. I think most of Yokko Kanno's reputation comes from the fact that she won't release a track of hers unless it has a certain level of quality, and that she's also a very good judge of whether an idea for a song is worth working on or not.

I'm sure that she's had at least more than one completely generic background filler song, though.
Consistent with countless musicians, to start Conor Oberst.
Old 2007-06-12, 19:58   Link #37
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Didn't I post this already...hmmm guess not. Anyway Yoko Kanno is at the top of the heap when she composes songs without vocals, but once she gets that giberrish language going her songs can be incredibly annoying like Bad Dog from Macross Plus, or the Tribal Dance in Turn A Gundam. When her songs are in Japanese and have vocals though they still sound really really good like Yakusoku Wa Iranai from Escaflowne. I'm glad I haven't heard any of the gibberish language yet in Darker Than Black, hope it stays that way as I plan on getting the OST when it comes out.

It took me so long to convince my friend that she's good because it's really hard for me to prove it when she does the Enya stuff. Just this past week though he finally admitted it.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-16, 18:33   Link #38
Azurexsky
hyuu!

she's doing the RO II background music or is she just celebrating?
Azurexsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 05:10   Link #39
Mgz
Madlax fanboyz

Send a message via Yahoo to Mgz
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Well, I just got my hands onto about 55 of Yoko Kanno's tracks for the Korean MMORPG Ragnarok Online 2, to be released this year. I've been listening to it and I found it awesome. I've played only one game with Kanno's music before--namely Uncharted Waters 2 for the SNES, but audio quality was so low that it couldn't be really appreciated. But by just hearing this soundtrack and imagining playing a game with this... *drools*. Even more with RO, which was a game I enjoyed a lot until life got too busy

Have any of you guys listened to it yet? What did you think of it?
I 'm playing Ragnarok 2 Korean OB atm and the thing that strike me the most is not the graphic, the game[lay, etc but the music . Too bad my knowledge of Korean = zero so it prevents me from exploring more lands :/.

Really looking forward to a full release of ROII ingame music from yoko kanno
Mgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-20, 03:21   Link #40
JC Denton

Well, I'm off!

The Yoko Kanno concert starts in about 2 hours. I have to get there early and meet my tenbuyer for the tickets. If he pulls anything funny why I oughta....

Anyways, I'll try to take as many photos and stuff. Cya!
JC Denton is offline   Reply With Quote