AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2010-06-06, 11:41   Link #521
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ paradox13 has it exactly right. The shichibukai and marines are two conflicting groups of equal power, and they only answer to the Gorosei (WG).
Old 2010-06-06, 12:31   Link #522
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
I think its more like:

Gorosei (WG)
|
Marine HQ------Shichibukai

The two organizations are separate entities and are both subject to the authority of the Gorosei (i.e. the World Government).
Did you even read it? lol. I don't blame you, its pretty long. I posted it awhile ago. But I pointed that out in the very first few sentences.

Quote:
That's not to say that the Shichibukai have power over the World Government, but the Shichibukai are specifically under the Orders of the Gorousei. So what if the Shichibukai are 'Agents' or 'Double Agents' of some sort, that collects intelligence for them or helps them (the Gorousei) expand in power and influence? Or engage in certain illegal activities for money or other gains?. And I'm not including ALL of the Shichibukai but certain ones in particular.
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 15:06   Link #523
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk View Post
So I say all of this to say that The Shichibukai (Kuma, Mihawk, Doflamingo, and Moria) were/are Agents of the Gorousei, but to what end is the Question. Maybe they are used by the Gorousei to conduct illegal activities such as Human Trafficking (Doflamingo's slave auction), among other things.
The shichibukai are pirates who have been given amnesty in exchange for eliminating other pirates and giving the WG a certain percentage of their earnings. By that definition, we could say that technically all of them are agents of the Gorosei. But they are quite the wayward group, considering their tendencies for insubordination. Ultimately in the end, both the Gorosei and Shichibukai are using each other for their own gains.
Old 2010-06-07, 07:37   Link #524
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
That's not to say that the Shichibukai have power over the World Government, but the Shichibukai are specifically under the Orders of the Gorousei. So what if the Shichibukai are 'Agents' or 'Double Agents' of some sort, that collects intelligence for them or helps them (the Gorousei) expand in power and influence? Or engage in certain illegal activities for money or other gains?. And I'm not including ALL of the Shichibukai but certain ones in particular.
Do you know what a double agent is?

What are you trying to say? That certain members of the Shichibukai are spying on the pirate world and masquerading as a pirate but are actually legit and loyal members of the WG? I think not. The only Shichibukai who is even close to loyal to the WG would be Kuma but that is only because he is allegedly braindead.

Quote:
that collects intelligence for them or helps them (the Gorousei) expand in power and influence?
What motivation would the Shichibukai have to help the Gorosei?

Specifically what motivations would Mihawk and DOFLAMINGO have?

Your theory doesn't make too much sense.
Old 2010-09-27, 17:19   Link #525
Gaara7171

The new Shichibukai are going to be more powerful I think. I think that when thay come out that at least one of them is going to be Buggy. And I think that the other 2 are going to be prevuis allies of Whitebeard.
Gaara7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 19:09   Link #526
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
The new Shichibukai are going to be more powerful I think
Quote:
I think that when thay come out that at least one of them is going to be Buggy.
These 2 sentences contradict each other. lol.
Old 2010-12-21, 17:36   Link #527
Blackbeard D. Kuma

My rankings for the shichibukai (current and former). This is subject to change as we see more in the future.

Top Tier
Mihawk - He's the Strongest Swordsman in the World, which indicates that even world renowned figures like Vista, Shiliew, and Shanks, are inferior to him.

Kuma - Highly resilient to physical attacks; his paw fruit enables him to warp, deflect ANY type of attack, and create massive air shockwaves that are almost impossible to avoid. He's also capable of expelling Kizaru's destructive lazer beams from his mouth.

Doflamingo - His "puppetry control" has shown no bounds. Not one person has been able to free themselves from it. Once his victims are subject to his control, they are at his complete mercy. Demonstrated incredible jumping ability when attacked by Oars Jr, and effortlessly cut off the behemoth's leg with what are speculated to be invisible wires.

Mid Tier
Blackbeard (without Quake fruit) - Easily defeated Ace. Possesses monstrous physical strength, evident in the fact he nearly broke Ace's neck with one punch. His threshold for pain is ridiculously high. The Darkness fruit allows him to suck in anything with its infinite gravity, thus rendering escape useless. Best of all, the darkness bestows upon BB the ability to nullify any DF ability so long as he grabs hold of the user.

Jimbei - Very swift for his size, seeing as how he easily intercepted Luffy in Gear 2 mode. His Fishman Karate blows are devastatingly powerful. Displayed exceptional durability when withstanding Akainu's magma attacks. Underwater, he is virtually unbeatable.

Hancock - Possesses Haoshoku Haki and petrification abilities, making her very dangerous. Easily disposed of several pacifistas and prevented Smoker from pursuing Luffy any further.

Bottom Tier
Crocodile - He's honed his sand abilities to absolute perfection, but his hand-to-hand combat skills are mediocre at best. Luffy without gears was able to defeat him, and his speed/evasion leaves much to be desired. Jozu, too, would have put him in his place were it not for Doflamingo's interference. His weakness against ANY liquid is also quite bad, to say the least.

Moria - His doppleman can't be destroyed by any means, and the fact he can swap places with it from anywhere at anytime greatly compensates for his lack of speed. However, without absorbing any shadows, his offensive capabilities are lacking. Brick Bat is only a minor inconvenience at best. Shadow stealing is far too difficult to pull off on mobile targets. Furthermore, ANY logia user is guaranteed to defeat him since he has shown himself unable to utilize any form of Haki.

So from strongest to weakest:

1. Mihawk
2. Kuma/Doflamingo
3. Kuma/Doflamingo
4. Blackbeard
5. Jimbei/Hancock
6. Jimbei/Hancock
7. Crocodile
8. Moria
Old 2010-12-21, 17:48   Link #528
james0246

^Good reasoning. The only character I have any real problem with is Kuma. I'm currently unclear as to where he lies in the level system (I'm not even sure if he is a Shichibukai any longer). With his mind ("the greatest weapon") erased, I have to wonder just how powerful he is currently. True he still technically has the power, but without the will ("where there is a will, there is a way") the power can only amount to so much.

Additionally, before Quake powers, I think I would have placed Jinbei ahead of Blackbeard (mostly because Blackbeard's powers were aimed at DF users), leaving Hancock and Blackbeard tied.

Besides that, your list is basically the same as my own.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 18:27   Link #529
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^Good reasoning. The only character I have any real problem with is Kuma. I'm currently unclear as to where he lies in the level system (I'm not even sure if he is a Shichibukai any longer). With his mind ("the greatest weapon") erased, I have to wonder just how powerful he is currently. True he still technically has the power, but without the will ("where there is a will, there is a way") the power can only amount to so much.
On the contrary, Kuma is arguably more dangerous now. He may have been stripped of his free will, but now he's just a killing machine that will stop at nothing to eliminate his targets. If anything, he's become more aggressive. But this is perfect, for it sets up a rematch with Zoro in the future very nicely.

Quote:
Additionally, before Quake powers, I think I would have placed Jinbei ahead of Blackbeard (mostly because Blackbeard's powers were aimed at DF users), leaving Hancock and Blackbeard tied.
Jimbei fought to a tie with Ace. DF or not, I can't see Jimbei doing much better than Ace did against Blackbeard.
Old 2010-12-21, 19:02   Link #530
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
On the contrary, Kuma is arguably more dangerous now. He may have been stripped of his free will, but now he's just a killing machine that will stop at nothing to eliminate his targets. If anything, he's become more aggressive. But this is perfect, for it sets up a rematch with Zoro in the future very nicely.
I don't disagree that he is more ruthless, but being without mercy or more aggressive doesn't necessarily make you stronger.

Still, that is why I questioned his ranking rather than outright dismissing his placement. I honestly have no idea where he should be placed in our imaginary ranking system...

Quote:
Jimbei fought to a tie with Ace. DF or not, I can't see Jimbei doing much better than Ace did against Blackbeard.
There is a vast difference between Jinbei fighting with Ace (a fish against fire? Not a very good match-up ...), and Jinbei fighting with Blackbeard (who pre-Quake powers didn't necessarily have the offensive moves to beat a juggernaut like Jinbei). No, pre-Quake I would place Jinbei ahead of Blackbeard.
Old 2010-12-21, 19:14   Link #531
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
There is a vast difference between Jinbei fighting with Ace (a fish against fire? Not a very good match-up ...), and Jinbei fighting with Blackbeard (who pre-Quake powers didn't necessarily have the offensive moves to beat a juggernaut like Jinbei). No, pre-Quake I would place Jinbei ahead of Blackbeard.
Fair enough. The Ace vs. Jimbei duel isn't an accurate reflection on how Jimbei would fare against Blackbeard.

Excluding Kuma, your list would be something like this:

1) Mihawk
2) Doflamingo
3) Jimbei
4) Blackbeard/Hancock
5) Blackbeard/Hancock
6) Crocodile
7) Moria

Is this correct?

Last edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma; 2010-12-21 at 19:24.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-21, 19:35   Link #532
james0246

^Correct...not much else to say besides that...(Sorry, Moria is still on the bottom ).
Old 2010-12-21, 20:42   Link #533
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ I'm still not convinced Jimbei can take pre-quake Blackbeard, so we're going to have to agree to disagree on that. In any case, our tier lists are very similar.

I tried to give Moria a chance, but he really gave a lackluster performance during the war. If that wasn't enough, he was considered too weak to be carrying the warlord title, and thus the higher ups found no more use for him and wanted him eliminated. He deserves last place.
Old 2010-12-21, 23:43   Link #534
marvelB

Well, despite his lack of action at Marineford, Moria(h)'s still my fave shichi by far. Still, I do concede that his laziness would make him a huge liability in the government's eyes, no matter how cleverly he's able to utilize his shadow powers. I guess the only way we can properly gauge his strength is if we saw him during the days when he was known to rival Kaidou. But who knows? Maybe his narrow escape from Dofla may influence the ol' gecko to revert back to his former fighting style.....

....BTW, this Moria talk reminds me of that recent Green info where it was revealed that Oda originally planned for him to be a priest with a split peronality. 'Tis a real shame that such an awesome idea got scrapped, but maybe Oda will recycle it for a future character (or heck, even somewhat incorporate that idea on post-skip Moria, if possible)......

Edit: Oh, and I guess more people would find Moria favorable to their tastes if he resembled this early sketch (far right):

Last edited by marvelB; 2010-12-22 at 00:03.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 00:15   Link #535
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ Unfortunately, a lot of fans don't like Moria because of his design (which is a shallow reason, quite frankly). Oda is well known for his eccentric designs, and Moria exemplifies such. He may be the weakest warlord, but I find him to be one of the more interesting ones. His appearance, personality, back story, and tricky DF abilities, developed him into one of Oda's finest villains.
Old 2010-12-22, 00:54   Link #536
marvelB

^Yep, pretty much my sentiments about Moria. Perhaps, in due time, more folks will appreciate him for what he is rather than ridicule him for not being another bland bishonen (though admittedly, my hopes are not high in that regard)......

Oh, and going back to what I said earlier about scrapped ideas being carried over: Note that in the sketch I posted above, Doflamingo was originally planned to have a rapper theme. That may not be the case now, but the idea seems to have survived..... in the form of the supernova, Scratchmen Apoo. So yes, there may be hope yet for that wacky priest concept......
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 01:08   Link #537
james0246

^Out of curiosity, which of Oda's villains can be described as a bishounen? Doflamingo comes closest, but even then his style is too far beyond even what a bishounen can pull off.

That being said, Moria's redeeming feature was his...well, his features. Don't get me wrong, I like his back story (though it is a bit cliché), but said story has always been fairly simplistic (with no real flashback, or anything to add real depth to the story). But his features, though, are very prominent, and a lot of fun.
Old 2010-12-22, 21:17   Link #538
Rainbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Oh, and going back to what I said earlier about scrapped ideas being carried over: Note that in the sketch I posted above, Doflamingo was originally planned to have a rapper theme. That may not be the case now, but the idea seems to have survived..... in the form of the supernova, Scratchmen Apoo. So yes, there may be hope yet for that wacky priest concept......
I just thought of something involving the idea for the Moriah priest concept. When Oda changed Moriah into what he is today, I'm thinking that the idea of a priest had evolved into the World Nobles (Charloss, Roswald, and Shalulia). They seem to be quite the heretics if you think about it.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 22:19   Link #539
Hisoka??
Ultra noob

Quote:
^ I'm still not convinced Jimbei can take pre-quake Blackbeard, so we're going to have to agree to disagree on that. In any case, our tier lists are very similar.

I tried to give Moria a chance, but he really gave a lackluster performance during the war. If that wasn't enough, he was considered too weak to be carrying the warlord title, and thus the higher ups found no more use for him and wanted him eliminated. He deserves last place.
I'll disagree about the positioning of Jimbei. I place him as in the top tier considering that this is a pirate manga and he should be near unbeatable in sea water. It's a terrain advantage sort of thing, but given that the theme is pirates (although we don't see much sea battles...) he should be ranked much higher in terms of strength.

Crocodile apparently has a similar terrain advantage in a desert that makes him near unbeatable, but that's a rare occurrence in this manga so it can be ignored.
Hisoka?? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-12-22, 23:02   Link #540
Blackbeard D. Kuma

^ I accounted for terrain advantages. Even so, Jimbei's showings haven't been as impressive as the top tiers (Mihawk, Kuma, & Doflamingo). He clearly acknowledged he's not at his best on land, and that is the terrain where the majority of battles are fought. In the event that there is a sea nearby, BB could potentially suck the ocean into his black hole and thus deprive Jimbei of such an advantageous tool.