AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

Old 2003-12-18, 22:03   Link #1
Kaiterra
Inactive Member

Has this ever happened to anyone?

I like to leave my torrents go overnight, and then go to bed. Recently however, I've been waking up to find that I've been disconnected from our router at like 5:00 in the morning when my stepdad gets on.
Now for some reason, every time this is done, Windows XP gets seriously bugged out. The bar at the bottom of the screen turns empty, any attempt to open a program fails, and I'm forced to shut down manually, with the power button.

I'm not sure if this is a BT problem, but it's only ever happened to me in the above situation. Has it happened to anyone else?
Kaiterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 22:21   Link #2
Esperchld
Photographer

Try doing it with something other than BT and see if it happens. If it does than read on, if not disregard my post.

Windows doesn't like it when you yank its network connection while its running. It has never liked this, and most likely never will. Granted I have occationally seen it gracefully shut down the network card and not die in the process that is a rare occation.

Now the problem is the router disconnecting you part way through. I may be able to shed some light on this, some ISPs really don't like it when you sit on the connection making transfers for a prolonged period of time. They say that you really shouldn't be using it for more than the occational download and reading of email (yes, I did ask an ISP, and yes, this is what they told me in responce). This disconnection could be causing an error in the router which in turn may be causing an error in windows (a nice little chain effect there).

However if you are doing this all from dial up ... there is nothing that I can do to help you on that. The wind blowing will disconnect your connection.
Esperchld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 05:22   Link #3
Keen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperchld
Windows doesn't like it when you yank its network connection while its running. It has never liked this, and most likely never will. Granted I have occationally seen it gracefully shut down the network card and not die in the process that is a rare occation.
The Windows XP that I'm using has absolutely no problem dropping network connections and adding them while it's running (be it wired OR wireless). Methinks you're thinking of Win9x, which sucked all manner of ways. If you are having those problems with WinXP, then get a decent network card/drivers.

To the thread starter, you said this started recently. What has changed in your configuration to cause this. Yes, something changed, figure it out.
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-19, 20:55   Link #4
Kaiterra
Inactive Member

To Esperchild: It's never happened besides when BT-ing, but it COULD be coincidence, I admit. I'll try tomorrow morning and see how that goes.

To Keen: The only thing that's changed recently is my stepfather pulling the cord on the router when he wants more bandwidth, which is why I suspected it.
Kaiterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-20, 01:37   Link #5
kamij0

sorry for adding this useless information, but when i cut off the modem cord suddenly while still running BT, it actually gave me a major error, that happen if u try to be like me, dc without closing the client..
kamij0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-26, 04:13   Link #6
lost_angel
Inactive Member

to tread starter

i know it sounds lame but have you tried system restore, their may be a problem with your registry that you can roll back and put your finger on.

windows is tempremental, depending on the progs you have installed, which is why most peoples experiances are different, so look at your process list and try to identify anything that might want or seek a connection to the internet, this might be your prob rather than your bt client.
just end task on some unnessary running progs in task man, might help
lost_angel is offline   Reply With Quote