AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2005-01-03, 07:21   Link #1
wao
OK.

Best Akino Arai song/album?

I've managed to listen to a fair number of Akino Arai songs, namely some of the stuff she has done for anime (Tsuki no Ie, Kirei na Kanjou, Natsukashii Umi, Voices (<3), Kakusei Toshi) as well as her album Eden. I really really enjoy her music and I love the dreaminess in some of them. Seriously, I can't believe how much of her stuff I like!

So while I'm looking at online reviews I'd like it if anyone might want to say what are your favourite Akino Arai tracks (and if possible which album they're from) so I can get more of her best stuff. I'm a bit short on cash so I'd rather not get any stuff that's not as quality as usual. Thanks.

(Since it's hard to list which of her songs I like, I'll mention the ones I didn't enjoy all that much: a bunch of stuff from Eden [N.Y., Ruby no Tsuki Hisui no Umi, Pansy, Tune...], Airplane, Pauline Pauline)
Old 2005-01-03, 10:18   Link #2
seiftis
~Please kill me.

Akino Arai~! Finally, someone luv her songs too.. w00t~
My fav tracks so far:
- Hiru no Tsuki
- New World
- Kamisama no Gogo
- Kirei na Kanjou
- Natsukashii Umi
- Nijiro no Wakusei
- Pansy
- Rain Forest
- Tsuki no Ie
- Kakusei Toshi
- Satellite Song
Old 2005-01-03, 10:44   Link #3
runpsicat
Engrishator
*Fansubber

Aside from what's already been mentioned, Sputnik from her "Falling Platinum" (Furu Purachina) album (the whole album is quite good imo).
Old 2006-03-05, 07:58   Link #4
wao
OK.

Sorry for excavating a dead and rotting topic, but about a year on I've listened to majority of Akino Arai's songs - I haven't listened to all those rarer songs - and looking back, I think my tastes have changed...

I've really grown to like Ruby no Tsuki Hisui no Umi, it gives me this great feeling which many of her songs manage to do - I can't explain it without going into a long and self-absorbed post... In fact I've managed to like almost her entire Eden album. It saddens me that many fans dislike it the most. I love Kamisama no Gogo, Nijiiro no Wakusei, Rainforest, Tune and Vanilla now - even Tune (I think I started liking it while watching Zettai SHounen). There's this bit in Suna no Kishibe which I like too.

Strangely most people list Furu Purachina as her best album, but perhaps because I listened to Sora no Niwa before it, and way before it - I only listened to Furu Purachina recently - I find that it's my favourite album of hers. Either I love or hate the songs on it - there is nothing that I dont' feel extreme about. Perhaps musically speaking they're not as original as Furu Purachina and so on, but I'm going on enjoyment value... I disliked Black Shell and OMATSURI and Little Edie, but I flat-out love the rest. Koneko no Shinzou is, to borrow a popular phrase, made up of win and awesome.

But the point of er, excavating this topic is because I did find my ultimate top-1 best-of-all-time ZOMG-FTW-KTHXBYEBBQ win-win-win-win Absolutely Unmatched Best In The World Akino Arai song in Furu Purachina. I think I'm going crazy (or rather, crazier than I already am) because of it. That song is Ai no Ondo, Track #6 from the Furu Purachina album. I swear. Akino Arai is some kind of unearthly being. I haven't felt so... transcendent from a song ever in my entire life.

So I want to know, out of anyone who's heard Akino Arai, whether you have got a totally-l33t-beats-the-rest song from her or not. Again sorry for digging up such an ancient topic and being so rubbishly fangirly, but I'm not breaking any rules here .

Edit: and the next-bestest songs I've listened to recently are,

Sakasama no Niji [RGB] <- VERY close to the bestestestestest. I've listened to this song 10 times in a row and almost felt like crying from how good it is after that.
Kouseki Radio [Kouseki Radio]
Shukusai no Mae RGB mix [RGB] (Don't know why people dislike this)
hakuchuumu [RGB]
Utsukushii Hoshi [Natsukashii Mirai] (The only song I really like in that album, even if it seems a bit cheesy, she wrote it as a teen! I like these kind of songs anyway.)
Adesso e Fortuna [Sora no Mori]
Licao do Vento [Sora no Mori]
Mikazuki to Watashi [Sora no Mori]
And of course, YAYOI + Akino Arai's SAGA from the Goddess of hte Morning album. I read that they wrote it based on what they felt from reading/watching stuff like Conan and Nausicaa. Listening to it makes me want to go on a rambling, exciting epic journey...
Old 2006-03-05, 11:52   Link #5
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wao
So I want to know, out of anyone who's heard Akino Arai, whether you have got a totally-l33t-beats-the-rest song from her or not. Again sorry for digging up such an ancient topic and being so rubbishly fangirly, but I'm not breaking any rules here
For me it's Sora no aosa (Blue of the Sky on RGB), the theme of 'Tree of Palme'. The mix of Akino Arai's gorgeous voice and the wierdness of the Ondes Martenot (a early electronic instrument that sounds like whale-song) has to be heard to be believed; beautiful and otherworldly. Honestly, I cannot listen to this song without being overcome with a deep sense of melancholy.

I have most of her albums, but I guess RGB gets the most play; as it has the sensuous 'Kirei na kanjou' from Noir on it. The other song of hers I really like, which didn't make it onto Eden, is 'Natsukashii Umi', the OP from Karau:Phantom Memory. It's not her best composition, but its one of the bounciest pop songs she's ever done.

She's definately one of Japan's most versatile and gifted singers and lyricists. I guess you can liken her to a Japanese Kate Bush (minus the pretentiousness) with the same vocal range. 'Saga', in particular, sounds like something from Kate Bush's 'The Sensual World'.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote