AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Fullmetal Alchemist

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-09, 19:38   Link #1
SilverStar
Anime Adventurer

Send a message via AIM to SilverStar
Rating

COLOR=Navy]Could someone give me a rating on how good FullMetal Alchemist is? I really want to buy it but i dont wanna be dissapointing [/COLOR]

>>>Guardian of Water<<<
Old 2004-04-09, 19:43   Link #2
sarcasteak
WAHA~

9.5/10

This is one series which I feel strongly that the anime is better than its manga counterpart
Old 2004-04-09, 20:50   Link #3
avmoghe

How about you get a hold of some fansubs and decide for yourself? That would be a lot better than listening to our ratings
Old 2004-04-09, 21:00   Link #4
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
Yes I agree, the ppl in this forum only represent a fraction of what everyone who watched this anime before think..... But to help anyway, just to let you know I've been watching the subs but even if this anime is over I'll be buying the DVD set when it gets out as part of my collection. That's how good I think it is.
Old 2004-04-10, 05:43   Link #5
jonli
JONLIの憂&#39

I'll give it a 9.5/10 as well.

Yes and i will buy the DVD as well.

Fullmetal Alchemist is great for "me" for the following reasons:
1)The idea of using alchemy is really creative
2) Plot twists
3) Dark and cruel
4) "MAIN" characters are all unique in their own way.
5) Funny, so that it neutralizes the dark and cruel part of the series.
6) Delivers moral messages in almost every episode, even if it's just a filler.

Ya thats basically it...
Old 2004-04-10, 06:32   Link #6
xris
Just call me Ojisan
*AnimeSuki Site Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStar
Could someone give me a rating on how good FullMetal Alchemist is? I really want to buy it but i dont wanna be dissapointing
It is a very good series but as others have suggested, you should download a few epiosdes to see if you enjoy it or not.

From your message, I get the feeling you are planning to buy DVDs of the series now. If so, be warned, they are going to be bootleg copies.

Currently there are no official subtitled English language DVD available (because the series hasn't even been announced as being licensed yet). While it may be licensed soon, it will still take about 6-12 months for the DVDs to be released.

As mentioned, the only (English language) DVDs you would be able to find at the moment will be illegal bootlegs, so why pay money to bootleggers when you can download it for free (and don't forget the poor quality translations usually found on bootlegs). Once the DVDs have been released officially in the U.S. then you can support the hobby you enjoy so much by purchasing the official product and thus encourage more anime to be released into the English speaking marketplace.

Of course, the official Japanese DVDs are also available but since you hail from Tennessee, I assume you would want English subtitles at least.
Old 2004-04-10, 07:23   Link #7
ARNEL98
Anime Fanatic

FMA is one of the better series out there and I enjoy it a lot so I'll give it a 9/10. No long drawn-out flashbacks/fight scenes; and a good mixture of comedy and drama. though i do wish for more action scenes in the next eps...
Old 2004-04-10, 08:04   Link #8
Asakura_Y0h
little black butterfly

Send a message via MSN to Asakura_Y0h
Agreed with the bootleggers.... Don't buy them

A friend recommended this shop and at that time I didn't know about bootlegging and netiher did he... we bought about 6 different anime sets and realised the subtitling was horrible....

Because of the subtitles... I feel that I can understand Japanese more now since I was forced to learn the language in a way... Anyway, back to point if you wanna buy... wait for the proper US liscenced versions... save your money... bootleg subtitles suck!!!
Old 2004-04-10, 17:18   Link #9
CoolMofo

So far 8.5/10 and it depends on what you're looking for too, but you're probably watching it now, right?

I have issues with their use of sentimentality, which I'm not a big fan of but others see as an effective element to story-telling. It's something I usually put up with and ignore, but since BONES and the manga author doesn't present FMA as a bimbo anime, my expectations are high. That's saved for a different discussion though.
Old 2004-04-14, 11:35   Link #10
STfan
Homicidal Kitty.

Location: In Arcueid's arms, getting my blood drained by the neck. Or at least I wish.
To give my most objective opinion, I'm unhappy with some of the "shorthand" drawings. The storyline could've been concentrated and made more coherent some more. This reflects how little there is to be unhappy with, however.

It avoids ecchi, for the most part. It avoids angsty crushes or love triangles.

If you're looking for boobs or girl-on-girl action or wild sex scenes, look somewhere else.

If you're looking for something somewhat serious with plenty of angst and a healthy mix of humor, look no further.
(I stopped watching about ten or more episodes ago, due to the fact that I had some difficulties with Torrent, but still. I like it.)

We love you, Arcueid!
Old 2004-04-14, 14:12   Link #11
ArbalestAS

yeah, like other people above said, it's a very good series, that even after i finish, i think i'd want to buy the dvds when they come out. a good mix of comedy and action, and has both a light-hearted side and a dark twisted kinda side. but i think what kept me watching wasn't the comedy or the action, but it was the moral lesson kinda that the show gave off, and the way the characters reacted. i don't know, so maybe it'd be like a 9/10 or better

wait, so all these dvd sets that cost like 20-40 dollars are bootlegs? i just thought that they were the official sets that were released in japan or hongkong
Old 2004-04-14, 15:11   Link #12
Yoshi31
Resident Dinosaur

Send a message via AIM to Yoshi31 Send a message via Yahoo to Yoshi31
yeah i will buy it too when it gets liscncesed
Old 2004-04-14, 20:38   Link #13
inv4zn
Dog of the Military

Send a message via ICQ to inv4zn
definetly high 9's i say out of 10......
hmmmmm i might think of buying fma as well x)
Old 2006-01-22, 19:02   Link #14
guess

I don't want to start a new thread I think I had it in this forum somewhere...

What's the TV rating (Fullmetal Alchemist) now?

I notice that there is no rerun of FMA on Sunday anymore. I used to watch it but well, not any more. I am thinking that maybe the rating has dropped a lot? This is really bad marketing. I didn't know when it was back on adult swim since it was out for a long while and not much ad about it when it came back, I kind of just lost interest. Now I am waiting for DVD realease for the entire series. I am not that eager to watch it anymore. It is a good series. I still want to know what happen. I will wait for DVD....