AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2015-03-03, 19:00   Link #1
hplgonzo

Question create a list of all the anime shows i watched?

sorry if this question has been asked before in this forum. i haven't found any useful explanation/information, so i just wanna ask you guys.

which is the preferred (best) solution to create a list of all the anime shows i watched? i watched lots of shows so far and it is getting harder and harder to find "new" stuff, so organizing and structuring might help. this should also help to ask for suggestions, as people could see, what i watched so far and they get a clue about the genres/settings i like most.

i heard about 3 different websites so far, that might do the job.
* myanimelist
* anime-planet
* anidb

what do you think girls and boys?
which one should i use, or do you suggest a different website?
Old 2015-03-03, 19:05   Link #2
Flower
Bibliotecha Rosa Atra....

I personally use anime planet, but it seems more members on the forum use My Anime List on the average. I have just stuck with A-Pl because I started a list there first.

For me there was not much of a difference way back when I was looking at starting a list, but in general I have heard more people speak positively regarding MAL of late.
Old 2015-03-03, 22:32   Link #3
Greenish Growth

I use both, but I prefer MyAnimeList because they include the Specials and Omakes and I often forget whether I've watched those or not. Sometimes there are a few anime that they skipped over adding too.

Also I've seen hundreds of adult anime and Anime-Planet doesn't have those.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-04, 06:56   Link #4
hplgonzo

Thanks for your information so far Flower and Greenish Growth. I will definitely take a detailed look at both websites before I actually compile my list. On A-Pl I like the possibility to check anime shows by season. Hmmm, I guess it will depend on how comfortable the list creation process is. Maybe I'll use both sites as well.

Please feel free to post your opinions and preferences concerning these websites.
Old 2015-03-04, 17:19   Link #5
RichardFromMarple

I use MyAnimeList
RichardFromMarple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-05, 17:29   Link #6
Dawnstorm

I use MyAnimeList, too, but it's really just because that's the last one someone mentioned when I decided to start a list. I'm quite happy with the interface. Anime Planet looks nice, too, and so does Animedb; I have no clear preference other than by habit.

A few things I noticed:

- I notice your location is "Austria". I'm Austrian, too. Whatever program you'll use, be aware that you might not find the title you're used to. Example: "Mila Superstar" (from your sig) will probably not be in the database under that name; you'll have to look for "Attaku No. 1". Also, the MyAnimeList search engine needs you to be very precise with the Japanese names, which can cause trouble with "uu" vs. "u" or "ou" vs. "oh" vs. "o".

- I've noticed it's impossible to create a complete list. Example: I once found this show in the database (by "clicking through"; recommendations/if you liked X, you'll like Y...) called "Hitohira". I thought it looked interesting. First episode starts, it looked vaguely familiar. I had a hunch it was because the set-up is so common. Then about halfway through the show I saw a certain dress and it all came rushing back: I'd actually watched the show. There are some shows whose title I don't remember, so I don't know how to search for those... But having a list is certainly convenient, however incomplete it may be.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-05, 17:50   Link #7
Flower
Bibliotecha Rosa Atra....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
...But having a list is certainly convenient, however incomplete it may be.
Very true ... I sorta went in to compiling an ongoing list without the intention that it would be comprehensive down to a nanosecond, so to speak. Must admit that even with that I have discovered I have watched a lot more than I had initially thought - and I don't even use the "re-watch" buttons.

But perhaps (turning the discussion back to the OP) you wish to have an extremely detailed list? I really couldn't say which place would be intrinsically better for that. But for general purposes I still think any of the three should be fine.
Old 2015-03-05, 23:00   Link #8
Greenish Growth

I was lucky. I like keeping track of things so I had written down the great majority of the anime episodes that I had watched. I had the dates that I viewed them on calendars going back to 1997.

For the few anime that I missed, I went through the entire Anime News Network Anime Encyclopedia and added the anime that I was sure I had seen.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-06, 04:17   Link #9
hplgonzo

Hi girls and boys.

I just finished the creation of a list containing shows I watched, including those I have heard about and want to watch. Therefore I used the A-Pl website. It seemed to be a little bit easier and faster to just scroll through a complete database and select "watched" in a dropdown menu. Another reason why I decided to use A-Pl was the fact, that I really like the "season" feature, as mentioned before. Since I have a list now, maybe I am going to create the same list at MAL and anidb.

I guess, I'll just put the link to my A-Pl list into my signature now.
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
... I'm Austrian, too. Whatever program you'll use, be aware that you might not find the title you're used to. Example: "Mila Superstar" (from your sig) will probably not be in the database under that name; you'll have to look for "Attaku No. 1".
I've noticed it's impossible to create a complete list.
There are some shows whose title I don't remember, so I don't know how to search for those... But having a list is certainly convenient, however incomplete it may be.
Awesome. You are from Austria too! I hate the fact, that Austrian television (ORF) re-runs stupid American sitcoms over and over again. How about you?
Some years ago I wrote an Email to costumer service and asked if they could broadcast some anime shows once in a while. They told me, that it is too expensive to licence and dub anime and they don't want to broadcast English/Japanese dubbed/subbed shows, because people won't watch that stuff.

Hehe, I know about the name issue. "Mila Superstar" was in fact the only show from my childhood, which I rewatched as a grown up some years ago. I found lots of shows from my childhood while creating the list. Nice memories.
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
... But perhaps (turning the discussion back to the OP) you wish to have an extremely detailed list? I really couldn't say which place would be intrinsically better for that. But for general purposes I still think any of the three should be fine.
No, I don't need an extremely detailed list. That's way too much work. I just wanna see, what I have watched and receive suggestions based on that.
You are absolutely right. All 3 websites are looking good. I hope, I can import/export the list to all 3 of them.
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
I use both, but I prefer MyAnimeList because they include the Specials and Omakes and I often forget whether I've watched those or not.
Also I've seen hundreds of adult anime and Anime-Planet doesn't have those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth View Post
I was lucky. I like keeping track of things so I had written down the great majority of the anime episodes that I had watched. I had the dates that I viewed them on calendars going back to 1997.

For the few anime that I missed, I went through the entire Anime News Network Anime Encyclopedia and added the anime that I was sure I had seen.
You are lucky my friend. I am (knowingly) watching anime for about 15 years know. It wasn't easy to create the list just from memory and I am sure, I forgot some shows. But hey, that's better than nothing, isn't it?

Concerning adult anime. I am not so into that stuff. Well I like anime for an adult audience (story, characters, ...), but not the ecchi/hentai stuff, if you meant that by adult anime

Last edited by hplgonzo; 2015-03-06 at 04:37.
hplgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-03-06, 16:56   Link #10
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hplgonzo View Post
Awesome. You are from Austria too! I hate the fact, that Austrian television (ORF) re-runs stupid American sitcoms over and over again. How about you?
To be honest, I haven't watched TV in years. There was a time when I didn't have easy access to a TV set, and I never got back into the habit.

The first anime I ever watched was on ORF: Heidi. I was about four, and we had a black and white TV and five channels. (I'm not exaggerating; early to mid seventies were like that.) I was actively seeking out "japanische Zeichentrickfilme" (Japanese Cartoons) before I was ten. I don't remember when I first heard the term "anime". I'm thinking it must have been the mid-80ies?

Most of the anime that made into my list must have come from 2009 onwards, when I started watching fansubs, though.

Quote:
Some years ago I wrote an Email to costumer service and asked if they could broadcast some anime shows once in a while. They told me, that it is too expensive to licence and dub anime and they don't want to broadcast English/Japanese dubbed/subbed shows, because people won't watch that stuff.
I remember when Vox tried broadcast subbed anime in the middle of the night. They'd air an entire series in one/two days (depending on the number of episodes). I recently checked what they aired, and to my horror realised that I missed Texhnolyze. I saw some great anime there (and some awful ones, too).

Quote:
Hehe, I know about the name issue. "Mila Superstar" was in fact the only show from my childhood, which I rewatched as a grown up some years ago. I found lots of shows from my childhood while creating the list. Nice memories.
I actually had to look that one up on Wikipedia to add it to my MAL. There are some interesting changes in the localisation. It was the first anime in the children programming I remember that actually played in Japan and kept Japanese names. Mostly. Mila is called "Kozue" in the original. That's an easy change to understand, for me (as "Kozue" is a rather hard name to pronounce and take in; I still wouldn't have done it). But apparently there was a teacher called "Haruko" in Japanese, and they changed her name to "Hiroko". Huh?

Some of the things you learn while compiling such a list are very, very interesting. (The soundtrack I loved so much about the series "Captain Future"? A German composition. They replaced the entire musical score in the localisation. Rights issues?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenish Growth

I bow to your dedication. I'm neither that organised nor that patient.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote