AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2014-12-04, 16:48   Link #1
Tiberium Wolf

Terminator Genisys (2015)

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Seems interesting. But Arnold is too old.
Old 2014-12-04, 17:10   Link #2
ImperialKnight

Meh they incorporated his age into the film. This terminator had been raising Sara since she was a little girl and his flesh aged along with it.

The question becomes though where did he come from because he had knowledge of Kyle's appearance along with the original T-800's location.

So clearly a terminator was sent back in time to kill Sara when she was a little girl but another terminator (Arnold)was sent back to stop that one and ended up surviving and they've been waiting for Kyle to show up since.

But then you add in the new T-1000 which shouldn't have come until a bit later.

JJ Abrams is really the director that these guys get to reboot series and he just loves destroying the original timelines eh?
ImperialKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 17:22   Link #3
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialKnight View Post
JJ Abrams is really the director that these guys get to reboot series and he just loves destroying the original timelines eh?
Actually every single Terminator film involved timeline destruction. In fact the first John Connor probably had a different father to the one in the first film. Rebooting is in the blood of the franchise; it is never ending war with each victory changing the way the war starts, thus the war had to be fought again.
Old 2014-12-04, 17:24   Link #4
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

A Time War, so to speak.
Old 2014-12-04, 17:30   Link #5
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Now this is getting pretty confusing, I guess we'll need a chart or something to understand the entangled mass of timelines this has become.

And then from the trailer it looks they still didn't give up on the idea of changing the future even though all previous attempts just proved to be what caused that future to happen.

I wonder if they'll actually make it this time, or if this will just turn out to be yet again another trigger for the Skynet VS humanity scenario.

You know what, Sarah Connor should actually kill Kyle Reese there.

No Kyle Reese, no John Connor
No John Connor, no (successful) human resistance
No human resistance no time machine (because why would Skynet bother to create that?)
No time machine, no T-100 sent back in time
No T-100 sent back in time, no Skynet

Done! Just kill Kyle Reese with fire! (Or just cut his balls, that's fine too)

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 20:07   Link #6
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Considering there are Terminator sequels already announced and dated it seemed a bit silly to talk about possibly stopping judgment day.

Not particularly shocked that they turned Sarah Connor into a badass from the start here. Different times than the 80s. Although I wonder if they'll be able to avoid Kyle Reese turning into a weak link. This guy did survive in an insane war where robots were constantly trying to kill him, he should be able to hold his own.
Old 2014-12-04, 20:18   Link #7
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Oy vey...

As a huge Terminator fan, this is just painful.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 20:27   Link #8
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

Emilia Clarke!!!

anyways, the timeline stuff makes sense. Skynet sends back T800 to kill Sarah when she's a kid. someone intercedes and sends back another T800 to stop that one. T800 ages with Sarah. John Connor, working with the original time line, sends back Kyle Reese to protect his mom, as per what he's told. Skynet now sends back the T1000, which was originally their second attempt, back in time as their second attempt in this new time line. from there, its all up in the air.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-04, 20:30   Link #9
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Oh sure, get rid of the only reason we cared about Sarah in the first place, that she is a vulnerable human being who NEEDED to be protected and slowly grow into an emotionally strong person, just to pander to the political-correctness-feminist demographic.

Old 2014-12-04, 21:02   Link #10
ArabianLuffy
One King One Legend

Another Zelda Time-Line. Just what we needed. I guess Terminator series in plot-wise is just an endless loop. Skynet keeps repeating history either to kill Sarah or John, and they fail. Stupid machines. And to me this movie kinda a mix of the first two movies.
Old 2014-12-04, 22:28   Link #11
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

To me, the Terminator story ends with the excellent The Terminator (aka. Terminator 1) where Sarah knew better than trying to stop the inevitable Judgement Day and just prepare for the upcoming “storm”. Terminator 2 itself (a great iconic movie on its own) already destroyed the chronology by destroying SkyNet which result to:

No SkyNet –> No Judgement Day -> No machine uprising -> No human resistance -> No Time machine needed -> No time-travelling Kyle Reese -> No Kyle humpin' Sarah Connor -> No John Connor

Yet, John Connor is still alive and well in T2's ending after they destroyed the last microchips that can give rise to SkyNet (he should've been disappeared, or history got rewritten at that point). I fucking love Terminator 2 to bits, but I can’t deny that the ending destroyed the continuity unless they clarified that the time machine actually creates alternate worlds where one continuity doesn’t really affect the other (kinda like Trunk’s story in DBZ or the Sliders TV series). I can't believe Dragon Ball Z has better time-traveling logic than Terminator 2 but I think that's just how it is.
Old 2014-12-04, 23:18   Link #12
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

^

Despite the flaw at the end of Terminator 2...it is still a classic.

Just like how people should just pretend there is only the first Matrix movie, people should just pretend there is only Terminator 1 and Terminator 2.

Or just pretend that there is only an Indiana Jones trilogy.

Unfortunately, it seems harder to just pretend Star Wars Episode I-III don't exist. :x However, everyone is free to just buy Episodes IV-VI, the original trilogy, on Blu-ray and not bother with the newer trilogy.
Old 2014-12-04, 23:40   Link #13
monster

Wasn't there a TV series in this franchise? Is this movie related at all to that? (unless I'm wrong about there being a TV series)

EDIT: I'll be back. What? Hah, she still can't understand "Arnold" after living(?) with him for a long time.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 00:23   Link #14
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

The Terminator series is itself already a messy Bootstrap Paradox.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 02:20   Link #15
Ithekro
The Comet is Coming

But, does she have to have sex with Kyle Reese on a specific day in order to get John Conner?
Old 2014-12-05, 03:02   Link #16
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching

If they got Arnold, why couldn't they get Patrick as well ?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 04:37   Link #17
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
But, does she have to have sex with Kyle Reese on a specific day in order to get John Conner?
At this point I like to think Sarah can adopt an orphan baby and call him John, and it would still work historically. What's important is the Sarah raised him as his mother.

We now see that butterfly effect doesn't exist in the Terminator world. If there is still a John Connor in every timeline, it must not matter that much which sperm won the race. Or for that matter who's sperm was it.
Old 2014-12-05, 06:57   Link #18
Golden Lily

I watch first seconds --> oh no...it's future again.
I watch all of it --> yay! We got past!

I definitely like theme 'going into past' more than future war. Albeit at this point it's obvious that future is inevitable, so I don't see the point of this struggle. Oh well..

You know...why machines won't just conceal nuclear weapons in a organic tissue, than send them into past, and blow everything away? Problem solved.

But at least it's nice to see T-1000, I liked it definitely more than T-X.

We'll just have to see it.
Old 2014-12-05, 07:53   Link #19
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

I just realized that I forgot about Terminotor 2 ending and Terminator 3 which basically tell us that Skynet was created anyway even without the future technology left by the first T-800.

So well they basically changed the predestination paradox approach of the first terminator into a straight fatalism or self-adjusting fate a la "final destination".

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-05, 08:09   Link #20
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I just realized that I forgot about Terminotor 2 ending and Terminator 3 which basically tell us that Skynet was created anyway even without the future technology left by the first T-800.

So well they basically changed the predestination paradox approach of the first terminator into a straight fatalism or self-adjusting fate a la "final destination".
The upcoming film suggest the opposite actually; it's not that future can't be changed, because it already has. It's that Sarah Connor is not changing the future alone, Skynet is struggling just as hard to survive as she is.

Present and future can be changed, and it keeps changing. But it is hard to change to something you want, because timeline is elastic; it keeps bouncing back to the original shape somewhat even if you caused some indentations and deformities.

Yes, the future is what we make of it. However, Skynet knows this too, and Skynet is trying to make a future for itself in opposition to the Connors. Connor isn't fighting fate, or Death, or some cosmic deity; Connor is fighting Skynet, a sentient computer, who isn't as powerful as it wants to be. It is a difficult opponent, but hardly futile to fight against.