AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-28, 23:16   Link #141
markesellus
Undercover Mole
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satashi View Post

Wind.

It set me free, blew away my problems and grief, and embraced me without knowing who I was or where I came from. The wind didn't care what I wore, what I did, or where I was going. It accepted me without restraint, freed my mind, and calmed me down. I was asked several times why I rode my motorcycle, why I disappeared for days at a time just to drive. The answer wasn't something I could tell, wasn't something I could just say. It had to be felt, had to be witnessed, had to be experienced.

Here, with you against my back, on this open rode laced with the flowing cherry blossoms, I shared it. I couldn't answer you either, couldn't say what I wanted, couldn't find the words. What I felt was the same as the wind. It was all we needed right now, all we had to know. We were free from everything, free from people's thoughts, people's stares, people's words. With the wind I didn't have to worry about them, with the wind I could be honest.

I liked you. Through everything, the pain, the hardships, the good times, and the laughter. I couldn't tell you this because the feelings were more than my words could describe. Like the wind, you were there for me, embraced me, accepted me. My past didn't matter to you- in fact you shared some of it with me. What mattered was simple; we were together, embraced by the rushing sound of air. I couldn't tell you, but I know you could feel it.

You were my wind.
Nice picture. You portrayed Natsuki's feelings very well.

Old 2008-04-29, 12:58   Link #142
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi Send a message via Skype™ to Satashi
A picture is worth a thousand words:

Dedicated to Mercurian Angel
Spoiler for Length:

Last edited by Satashi; 2008-04-30 at 23:52.
Old 2008-05-05, 14:18   Link #143
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

I have compiled an overview of my little "verse", including brief descriptions of terminology and original characters, in preparation for a new chapter.

"You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water."
~ Samantha Carter
Old 2008-05-05, 22:03   Link #144
Satashi
Vividly Vivio
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Satashi Send a message via Skype™ to Satashi
Planning on doing a Nanoha/ Otome crossover. Most of it is being discussed on the Nanoha fanfiction thread. I'll post link here when first chapter is done.
Old 2008-05-06, 12:16   Link #145
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikon View Post
I have compiled an overview of my little "verse", including brief descriptions of terminology and original characters, in preparation for a new chapter.
I've enjoyed your series, but it would have been better if you had not fallen into the trap of treating the nanomachines' vulnerability to male DNA as a flaw, like several other authors. It's a security feature! It prevents the Otome's loyalty from being compromised. By either her master or another male. If Garderobe had a way of detecting girl-girl intimacy that was as good as the one for male-female intimacy, they would have implemented it as well.

Last edited by Jimmy C; 2008-05-06 at 12:40.
Old 2008-05-06, 13:03   Link #146
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

It's ridiculously weak and convoluted for a security feature, though. It doesn't prevent any sexual activity other than direct fluid transfer, it doesn't prevent an Otome from betraying her master in any way, and it renders the Otome vulnerable to genuinely dangerous mundane situations. I prefer to think of it as a flaw - possibly deliberately introduced as a form of sabotage, I'll play with that idea later. In any case, it's too late to change it to not being a flaw - I don't like pulling a Lucas and editing older stories .

"You know, you blow up one sun and suddenly everyone expects you to walk on water."
~ Samantha Carter
Old 2008-05-06, 13:22   Link #147
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikon View Post
It doesn't prevent any sexual activity other than direct fluid transfer,
It's not there to prevent, but merely discourage. Biochemically, it's the only one that is detectable, it's also the most intimate one. So they went with it. An Otome can't have another man in her heart, not while giving her life to her master.
Quote:
it doesn't prevent an Otome from betraying her master in any way,
She couldn't do that without killing herself in any case. And it does prevent her master from abusing her loyalty. Also, it's just my opinion, but I don't think a bodyguard can be 100% effective while she's sleeping with you.
Quote:
In any case, it's too late to change it to not being a flaw
I know, but I just had to get that off my chest after all this time.
Keep writing!
Old 2008-05-06, 13:55   Link #148
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Now that I think of it, I may make it a chicken and egg situation. How about: it was originally an unintended vulnerability, but its presence shaped the Otome society and culture the way it otherwise wouldn't - complete with the focus on virginity and rampant lesbianism - going as far as making Garderobe taking advantage of it and treating it as an actual security system.

~ Samantha Carter
Old 2008-05-06, 14:29   Link #149
Jimmy C

Go ahead. You'd have to think carefully about who introduced it in that case. Or was it just a "natural" flaw?
Because if it was introduced by someone other than Garderobe, the system's already been compromised.
Old 2008-05-06, 19:42   Link #150
AthenAltena
Sister of the Forks

Alright, time to throw my hat into the ring as far as theories go. Though this one has to do with HiME, not Otome, and Mashiro's Festival/Carnival.

舞-HiME 檻銀 - Mai-HiME Origin Part I

This is the first of four or five (or six?) parts, several of which are in the works.
Old 2008-05-06, 23:19   Link #151
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Wow, several at once? Sweet.

~ Samantha Carter
Old 2008-05-07, 00:37   Link #152
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Go ahead. You'd have to think carefully about who introduced it in that case. Or was it just a "natural" flaw?
Because if it was introduced by someone other than Garderobe, the system's already been compromised.

It's interesting your point. I'm sure too it's a flaw, possibly willingly introduced as a security measure.
I don't think it's natural, because it's very unlikely that someone, who has the technology to create nanomachines that materialize weapons from photons, make them vulnerable to something like that. Unless it has been intentionally.
Also, this doesn't explain how they can safely kiss their masters (see Akane and Kazuya), as the chromosome Y is in their saliva, and a low level of PSA is always present in the blood.

EDIT: by the way, AthenAltena, I've just read your fanfiction! It's a great concept. And it's good to read something different, once in a while.

Last edited by Atlantis_Lux; 2008-05-07 at 02:23.
Old 2008-05-08, 03:18   Link #153
Tsubaki23
Glomp no Jutsu master

Send a message via AIM to Tsubaki23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis_Lux View Post
It's interesting your point. I'm sure too it's a flaw, possibly willingly introduced as a security measure.
I don't think it's natural, because it's very unlikely that someone, who has the technology to create nanomachines that materialize weapons from photons, make them vulnerable to something like that. Unless it has been intentionally.
Also, this doesn't explain how they can safely kiss their masters (see Akane and Kazuya), as the chromosome Y is in their saliva, and a low level of PSA is always present in the blood.

EDIT: by the way, AthenAltena, I've just read your fanfiction! It's a great concept. And it's good to read something different, once in a while.
Well, I don't think the creators of the show thought anyone would bother thinking about that XD;; But here's a slight theory..

Perhaps it would have to effect uterine cells first?
Old 2008-05-08, 10:21   Link #154
Jimmy C

Actually, it's not the male DNA, but the biochemical signature of semen that is detected. Serin Protease or something like that, was it?
Here's how I think it works: The nanomachines keep the host's body in healthy condition, right? That means they'd have to have some kind of chemical sensor. If the sensor picks up the chemical, the nanomachine is programmed to break down. Not only that, but breakdown in a specific manner. The byproducts trigger the production of a specific antibody. When other nanomachine detect this antibody, they're programmed to break down the same way too. Thus, the nanomachines are purged from the Otome's body.
But the antibodies remain. Any future batch of nanomachines will detect them and break down upon injection too.
In my view, this was deliberately introduced by Garderobe's founders to keep the Otome from being compromised. Yes, it's not 100% perfect, but it doesn't need to be.
It'd be an interesting exercise to come up with something that can detect girl-girl intimacy with the same degree of certainty. Simply detecting foreign DNA isn't enough. Normal chemical sniffers won't do, because the host has the same chemicals in her body too.
Old 2008-05-08, 16:24   Link #155
Atlantis_Lux
Nightingale

LOL! Yeah, the creators of the show should have considered crazy fanfic writers. ;-)
But then, maybe an explanation existed for this, only they didn't bother to tell us because it was unnecessary for the plot.

Anyway, yours it's the best theory, Jimmy C. ^_^
I'm just unsure of that chromosome Y. I think Natsuki said the nanomachines were vulnerable to that too, but I don't remember exactly her words, maybe it was "chromosome Y AND PSA". Or maybe it was the crappy translation, since I saw it with Italian subs.
Old 2008-05-08, 17:20   Link #156
AthenAltena
Sister of the Forks

*pokes head in*

Part II!

(Three is still in the works)
Old 2008-05-09, 09:23   Link #157
Master Kosa
Wanderer

Have you ever considered situation when otome is pregnant and robe is activated?
Once some one asked me where I came from. I just pointed behind myself. When the same person asked where I was heading, I just pointed towards the horizon I was looking at. "It's simple, I neither belong here nor there. I am just walking..."
Current fandoms: RWBY - White Rose, Frozen - Elsanna and all previous.
Old 2008-05-09, 10:22   Link #158
wanwan1203
Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoSSa View Post
Have you ever considered situation when otome is pregnant and robe is activated?
That would be funny. But alas, i don't think that's possible. She won't be an Otome anymore by that time. (Although there are some fanfics.....*trails off*) But nevertheless..it would certainly be amusing to see a pic of that.
Old 2008-05-09, 11:05   Link #159
Master Kosa
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanwan1203 View Post
That would be funny. But alas, i don't think that's possible. She won't be an Otome anymore by that time. (Although there are some fanfics.....*trails off*) But nevertheless..it would certainly be amusing to see a pic of that.
It seems I formulated my argument bad. My bad. I think that nanomachines stop working after sex with male by reason of chance of otome being pregnant => chance to damage child. Because if nanomachines are working and otome is pregnant and uses them then there is great chance of both mother and unborn chil to die or be seriously wounded.
I hope it's clear now.
Once some one asked me where I came from. I just pointed behind myself. When the same person asked where I was heading, I just pointed towards the horizon I was looking at. "It's simple, I neither belong here nor there. I am just walking..."
Current fandoms: RWBY - White Rose, Frozen - Elsanna and all previous.
Old 2008-05-09, 11:53   Link #160
Sikon
この世界は腐っている!

Hmm, this thread is drifting off topic. Maybe moderators could split the discussion of nanomachines into a separate thread?

~ Samantha Carter
Closed Thread