AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-08-05, 17:51   Link #421
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX"
It's funny you should say that... many, if not most, of the blockbuster live-action TV series made in the US are made up of stand-alone episodes. I agree that an over-arching storyline has its appeal, but considering how many supposedly linear anime are packed with filler and useless episodes, I don't think the lack of an epic plot should put you off Mushishi. It only has slightly less "plot" than, say, Cowboy Bebop.
If the story gets into something major, perhaps a 2-part arc would be nice. But actually, I kind of like its episodic pace. For some reason it just fits the series more, considering that Ginko himself gets to travel from place to place.

Last edited by kujoe; 2006-08-06 at 06:34.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-05, 17:59   Link #422
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26
i think its not getting the popularity because i heard it does not have an established story line through out the series. Each episode is a stand alone episode. I saw the first episode but when i read that all eps were like that i just dropped it...

wheres the appeal if there's no story to draw u back in after an episode? im curious because im thinking about picking it up again.
It's not more popular because most people are fat, doughy simpletons who would rather watch the latest cookie cutter moe harem to fap to than stress their meager intellects with something actually original like Mushishi. You may have dropped it because you're looking for an overarching plot, but others would pay it no mind because it doesn't have panty shots and bras snapping open.

Did you enjoy the first episode? The other ones are essentially like that, just with different problems, people, and mushi. Ginko and the mushi themselves are the only thing tying the show together.
__________________
I'm not going to neg rep you in return. Leave your name.
Veritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 04:41   Link #423
lommm
l'homme de lommm
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 34 3 118 15
and i would add that i think Ginko is one of the best characters in any anime series period "."

he is so well rounded and by the end of the 26 ep series he is just as well rounded as the brothers on 51 ep FMA or even someone like Spike in Cowboy Bebop... I actually find that the reason I want there to be a season 2 (which they have enough manga to do) is because I want to see Ginko learn and grow even further

btw, you know this show has won a lot of animation awards? in Japan and at festivals... it's like the way some American and European (even East Asian) independent films can win critical praise and awards, but for some reason a general audience never seems to find them... actually that reason is they would rather go and laugh at Will Ferrel scream about Tom Cruise and his magic powers....

which i'm sure Ricky Bobby is a funny movie, but let's face it, you're not going to go to use your brain... at all...
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 09:44   Link #424
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauldron26
i think its not getting the popularity because i heard it does not have an established story line through out the series. Each episode is a stand alone episode. I saw the first episode but when i read that all eps were like that i just dropped it...

wheres the appeal if there's no story to draw u back in after an episode? im curious because im thinking about picking it up again.
Wrong. Let me present to you my point of view. Where's the lack of appeal if EACH episode presents a full 22-minute story so deep, so beautiful, so poignant that it draws you in EVERYTIME, and draws you back for more? As many posters before have made their point, just because its short, just because the story is contained within 22 minutes doesnt make it less enjoyable. Take a series you enjoyed very much on the whole, and then multiply that enjoyment 26 times over and you've got Mushishi!

Please don't judge a series and make a decision to drop it at its first episode. If I did that, I wouldnt be in here extolling Mushishi. Give it a chance. By the way, in case you haven found out and so just you know, each ED song is different, so take the time to enjoy that as well. If you like slow, meaningful, poignant, joyful, weird, cool, beautiful stories, pick it up again.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 21:49   Link #425
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Wooo.. somethings I dont get with Ep24..

Spoiler:
A lovely episode with a wonderful, beautifully-drawn forboding start.. Again, cant help admiring the beautiful art and colours they bring to Ginko's world; really bringing the Manga to life. And I thought Ginko's dislike of destroying life shines thru here, when he didnt like them to destroy the whole mountain. Also quite wise on his part, the danger of being directed by fear. The exchange between him and Yahagi about fear and relation to fire was ever so true.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 22:13   Link #426
arias
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Wooo.. somethings I dont get with Ep24..

Spoiler:
A lovely episode with a wonderful, beautifully-drawn forboding start.. Again, cant help admiring the beautiful art and colours they bring to Ginko's world; really bringing the Manga to life. And I thought Ginko's dislike of destroying life shines thru here, when he didnt like them to destroy the whole mountain. Also quite wise on his part, the danger of being directed by fear. The exchange between him and Yahagi about fear and relation to fire was ever so true.
Spoiler:



I think that's about how it goes logically ^_^ As an asides, has anyone played Secret of Mana (Seiken Densentsu 2) here? The music track "A Wish" seems like something that would slot perfectly into a Mushishi episode.. there's a dreamy, starry-night feeling to it.

Should add abit to the "episodic" debate. Actually, I don't really like episodic series most of the times, but it depends on the context. In Mushishi's case, it seems to be a rather good choice.. it's like a chronicle of assorted Ginko tales (tm) and it works. Implanting a through-running storyline throughout the series would, however, require some sort of overarching "purpose" or "destination".. I'm actually not opposed to that, because having that in Mushishi would probably entail Ginko's search for his past or more explanations of the nature of his existence.

Again I ask for tolerance in everyone's views in robustly accomodating that of others. It's certainly understandable why people dislike episodic series (look at Ah! My Goddess.. ;_; one of my older favorite mangas that has gone to xxxxx). However, I think it is the case that it works for this series, Mushishi, quite well.

Last edited by arias; 2006-08-06 at 22:26.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 22:19   Link #427
i0td
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Desert, USA
Age: 28
I was wavering on whether or not I was going to pick up this series, and boy am I glad that I did! I'm definitely behind on the series having only watched the first two episodes, but so far, I see brilliant storytelling here.

The first episode was very intriguing. It told its own story and provided a very mysterious introductory background to the mushi. Could such a masterful performance be repeated? And then, episode 2 stands strong on its own. An even more fascinating plot! And although it was not connected continuously with the previous episode, ep2 does build on to the story of the mushi. It makes you ask yourself again, "What exactly is mushi?" I, for one, am dying to find out more by catching up on this series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Wrong. Let me present to you my point of view. Where's the lack of appeal if EACH episode presents a full 22-minute story so deep, so beautiful, so poignant that it draws you in EVERYTIME, and draws you back for more? As many posters before have made their point, just because its short, just because the story is contained within 22 minutes doesnt make it less enjoyable. Take a series you enjoyed very much on the whole, and then multiply that enjoyment 26 times over and you've got Mushishi!
I didn't want to read too much into this thread, because I wanted to avoid spoilers, but your post makes a strong point indeed and I agree. I may be a bit biased here, because I do also enjoy episodic series, but Mushishi definitely offers a great story with every show. Why does one story have to stretched out over 13 or 26 episodes when it can be told just as well (better in this case) with just one? The mushi is one giant puzzle so far and with every show, another piece of the puzzle is uncovered.
__________________
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-07, 01:57   Link #428
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Spoiler:
I think that's about how it goes logically ^_^
That sounds logical, but I dont know; with the word "burn" there, and the reference to fire just some moments ago, I tot it was literally burning with fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
Should add abit to the "episodic" debate. Actually, I don't really like episodic series most of the times, but it depends on the context. In Mushishi's case, it seems to be a rather good choice.. it's like a chronicle of assorted Ginko tales (tm) and it works. Implanting a through-running storyline throughout the series would, however, require some sort of overarching "purpose" or "destination".. I'm actually not opposed to that, because having that in Mushishi would probably entail Ginko's search for his past or more explanations of the nature of his existence.

Again I ask for tolerance in everyone's views in robustly accomodating that of others. It's certainly understandable why people dislike episodic series (look at Ah! My Goddess.. ;_; one of my older favorite mangas that has gone to xxxxx). However, I think it is the case that it works for this series, Mushishi, quite well.
Good point, but my only fear of that is that having such an overarching storyline will detract somewhat from the stories of the people/characters/mushi that each episode presents. It'll also be less subtle, more straight forward, character development on Ginko then what we are getting now; and I think that would take the fun out of Ginko's character. Just my view; tolerance and respect is good.

@i0td: Glad to hear another person enjoying this Gem.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-07, 21:15   Link #429
i0td
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Desert, USA
Age: 28
Lost, a gem it sure is, and I am glad I've stumbled upon it.

Although the stories in this series are a bit odd, I find such supernatural (and perhaps natural?) phenomena extremely fascinating, especially because the stories involving the Mushi behind them are so intricately intriguing and told very well. I admit that some of the more subtle details are a bit confusing and more difficult to explain and then grasp, but that just makes me want to understand each situation, each story all the more.
__________________
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 05:33   Link #430
lommm
l'homme de lommm
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: 34 3 118 15
i just read this:

"The world premieres of Satoshi Kon's Paprika and Katsuhiro Otomo's live action Mushishi will take place at this year's Venice International Film Festival, where they will compete with 19 other films from around the world.

The event runs August 30-September 9 at La Biennale di Venezia."


that's a big big deal... that's a very competitive fest... it must have turned out very well!!
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 06:46   Link #431
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
ZOMG. I hope it wins I seriously do. Imagine seeing Mushishi appear in my newspaper! The glory! Thats less than a month. Do you think we can get it on our screens soon after that?
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 07:51   Link #432
wao
OK.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Fields of High Attus
Age: 25
In Singapore?....




...You slowly wish I think it's quite unlikely. I'm putting in more hope for Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo to get screened here.
__________________
Thanks for the fish
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 07:57   Link #433
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Lol.. its sad, but it would really really be cool to take some non-anime-believing friends out to the movies and smack them with the glory of Mushishi, I can still hope. But I agree, possibly the only legal way to see it in Singapore would be thru starhub cable.

About that question of mine, I was referring to my computer's screen.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 08:05   Link #434
wao
OK.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Fields of High Attus
Age: 25
Ah! That's what you mean. Well, I don't think it'll really happen until the DVD comes out, but that shouldn't be too far away because obviously by that date it'd have been finished.

I think I know some non-anime-fans who would appreciate and like a good, compact one-shot Mushishi... a movie would be great. But among the anime fans I know IRL only one is a fan of the show...
Then again most of the anime fans I know IRL (which aren't a lot anyway) aren't the type who'd like this sort of show so..
__________________
Thanks for the fish
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 14:10   Link #435
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 加拿大
Age: 28
While gazing wondrously at Tanyuu's ever so wistful expression, a whim overtook me. It urged me to vectorize this scene. So I did. Following notes from many online tutorials and three painstaking days later, I satisfied my whim. Through the process my prowess in Photoshop increased (I have never worked with so many layers before!), and I gained firsthand experience the massive effort and diligence it takes to trace and vector an image. Here it is:

Tanyuu Vector

Constructive criticism are welcome, but it's my very first, go easy on me .
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 14:16   Link #436
arias
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I think I know some non-anime-fans who would appreciate and like a good, compact one-shot Mushishi... a movie would be great. But among the anime fans I know IRL only one is a fan of the show...
Then again most of the anime fans I know IRL (which aren't a lot anyway) aren't the type who'd like this sort of show so..
I'm well aware of the conditions in Singapore.. As an asides, I was EXTREMELY suprised when they showed a Dragonball movie in the theatres around the mid 1990s. Anyways, you should know that the general anime fan elsewhere is about the same.. I asked the anime club over in a University here in Canada if they showed Studio Ghibli films. Their expression was

So.. I never joined any of that club crap And also, that's why we should be glad we have each other online.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 17:57   Link #437
kujoe
from head to heel
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Lol.. its sad, but it would really really be cool to take some non-anime-believing friends out to the movies and smack them with the glory of Mushishi, I can still hope. But I agree, possibly the only legal way to see it in Singapore would be thru starhub cable.
I don't know. Mushishi might turn out to be something they're not used to, and if you do succeed it just might reinforce their beliefs that live-action movies (thus not anime) are king. It may get them interested in the original material though, similar to the trend of people reading Lord of the Rings all of a sudden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Constructive criticism are welcome, but it's my very first, go easy on me .
You sure this is your first time? This is very nice! Bonus points for the big, widescreen resolution it's in. (Too big for me actually, but definitely better than too small.) I'm using it right now as my wallpaper. Thanks.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 18:57   Link #438
wao
OK.
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Fields of High Attus
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
I'm well aware of the conditions in Singapore.. As an asides, I was EXTREMELY suprised when they showed a Dragonball movie in the theatres around the mid 1990s. Anyways, you should know that the general anime fan elsewhere is about the same.. I asked the anime club over in a University here in Canada if they showed Studio Ghibli films. Their expression was

So.. I never joined any of that club crap And also, that's why we should be glad we have each other online.
Well, but here -possibly because manga has got a greater foothold in peoples' lives and due to the influx of Japanese shows that people have gotten, I feel the general anime awareness is quite different than in the Western countries (except places like Italy and Spain where they showed a lot of anime back then, apparently).
People who you wouldn't consider anime fans are more willing to try anime, or at least from my experience. And hey, they show Ghibli films here earlier and without dubs because there's a more certain market for them... even my chinese teacher loves Ghibli

Actually I think it's people like my Chinese teacher who would also apppreciate a Mushishi movie. She likes that kind of stuff in general... The thing about anime series is that sometimes it's too bothersome keeping up if you don't normally watch anime, unless it's addictive But a movie on the other hand...
__________________
Thanks for the fish
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 19:10   Link #439
i0td
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Desert, USA
Age: 28
I'm sorry if my post is a bit off track, but I'm still quite behind on this series. (And of course, I'm going to try and catch up no disappointments at all so far.) The story behind each Mushi is very fascinating indeed, but sometimes these explanations are incomplete or somewhat muddy. I have stumbled upon one such mystery that I could not completely understand and I was just wanted to know what you guys thought of the following:

This concerns episode 8, the seashore/snake haze episode. I was just wondering why Michihi was assimilated into the Mushis as they were morphing into the dragon. She was stranded in the haze, a different timeframe, but to a shorter extent, so were Ginko and Shirou. Was it simply because she was trapped for three long years that Michihi could no longer escape?
__________________
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-09, 23:05   Link #440
Lost
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
But a movie on the other hand...
Yep, as kujoe stated I'm pretty sure that a movie would be a great way to introduce friends to the series and soon, maybe even the manga. I mean, hey, if you enjoyed the movie, there's much more to enjoy in other mediums. Spread the love for Mushishi!! I could even use the movie to introduce Anime as a whole to my friends who have no idea what Anime is, among one of them, a girl.. erm.. I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Actually I think it's people like my Chinese teacher who would also apppreciate a Mushishi movie.
Interesingly, that was the same thought I got when I saw Mushishi, its art and especially wording. It looked so Chinese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias
I asked the anime club over in a University here in Canada if they showed Studio Ghibli films. Their expression was
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to be proof of your point. I'm not too sure what Ghibli films would be..

@i0td: I'm not too sure at the moment, but this will be a great chance for a rewatch w00t! Will check back later.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.