AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-11, 01:44   Link #561
arias

I honestly thought Mushishi was a small phenomenon when I came across this feature at Animenewsnetwork:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=9617

Quote:
For the 10th anniversary of the Japan Media Arts Festival, Japanese fans were asked to vote on the top 10 anime and manga of all time. Over 80,000 votes were received in the anime category, and just under 79,000 in the manga category (people were allowed to vote for up to 10 titles).

The top ten manga are:

1. Slam Dunk (Manga)
2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Manga)
3. Dragon Ball (Manga)
4. Fullmetal Alchemist (Manga)
5. Doraemon (Manga)
6. Phoenix (Manga)
7. Black Jack (Manga)
8. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Manga)
9. Mushishi (Manga)
10. Death Note (Manga)

The top 10 anime are:

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion (TV)
2. Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Movie)
3. Laputa - Castle in the Sky (Movie)
4. Mobile Suit Gundam (TV)
5. Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (movie)
6. Mushishi (TV)
7. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (TV)
8. My Neighbor Totoro (Movie)
9. Full Metal Alchemist (TV)
10. Ghost in the Shell (Movie)

NUMBER 9?! And above Death Note?!

NUMBER 6 IN ANIME?!

Oh god. Guys, we're not alone. In fact, there're so many of us out there it's creepy..
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 04:20   Link #562
wao
OK.

Wow, that's awesome. But well, I guess the producers knew that they had such a dedicated fanbase which is why they didn't bother saddling the show with a change in mood/direction or plot (such as in the mushishi movie). Rather, they focused on getting the mood and atmosphere across as well as they could, which is a decision - if they made it of course - that I couldn't applaud more.

But that's Japan... I would proselytise more about Mushishi to other people but the thing is the average anime-watching person I come across in this country is rather unlikely to be able to watch this so I'm afraid of suggesting it...

EDIT: But for GITS to get up so high, perhaps it was only a very particular group of people they polled...
Old 2006-10-11, 04:48   Link #563
lommm
l'homme de lommm

that is awesome!! that makes me happy!! but there are things on that list i don't like....

in manga, how is monster not on there? it's the highest selling manga of all time in Japan! and why is death note so low? the top two make me think it's a lot more little kids voting.

in anime, i get that Miyazaki will be all over the top ten, but his Lupin III?? come one! no mononoke or spirited away!? and did the voters not even watch the ending of Evangelion? seriously! number 1!

well, i'm pleased and kind of surprised that Mushishi placed so well. didn't realize the Japanese liked their own culture so much lol
lommm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 07:24   Link #564
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post

in manga, how is monster not on there? it's the highest selling manga of all time in Japan! and why is death note so low? the top two make me think it's a lot more little kids voting.
It is? I thought stuff like One Piece had sold more than Monster. IIRC there was a list doing the rounds here about the top selling manga and I'm pretty sure it wasn't Monster on the top of it. It was something else which had like a crazy amount of volumes released. 100+ volumes if memory serves. Of course I could just be talking crap/
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 11:13   Link #565
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm View Post

in anime, i get that Miyazaki will be all over the top ten, but his Lupin III?? come one! no mononoke or spirited away!? and did the voters not even watch the ending of Evangelion? seriously! number 1!

well, i'm pleased and kind of surprised that Mushishi placed so well. didn't realize the Japanese liked their own culture so much lol
They could have possibly polled otakus, and we all know that popular works aren't necessarily held in high regards in smaller, elite circles.

Miyazaki's Lupin holds massive nostalgic factor for ALOT of Japanese.. It's a cultural phenomenon, as is Evangelion (which is a bigger cultural phenomenon).

Mushishi is doing amazing : o
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-11, 12:23   Link #566
Cal-Reflector

I should mention an observation I made whilst living in Japan that went contrary to a previously long-held perception (and those of many others, I think) of mine: The grand majority of people in Japan are not into manga, and far less so into anime. True, the stand-reading manga stores and book stores are always filled, they read tons, but their variety of manga is so humongous a series could be considered popular if just say, one in twelve people, have read or at least heard of it.

I don't know how the polls were announced, through what medium, but that should've affected the constituency of the responders significantly. A dead giveaway though should be how no female-oriented titles made the top ten manga list at all.

All that said, I'm glad Mushishi ranked so high, and the respondants' results look quite reasonable to my understanding. In fact, even though I love Mushishi so much, I don't think even I would've placed it in Top Ten Greatest of All Time for either category.

Same goes for GITS SAC, which I also love, but understand that its a sophisticated show that can only be enjoyed by a small proportion of the general audience.

The list was here:
For the 10th anniversary of the Japan Media Arts Festival, Japanese fans were asked to vote on the top 10 anime and manga of all time. Over 80,000 votes were received in the anime category, and just under 79,000 in the manga category (people were allowed to vote for up to 10 titles).

Of the top ten manga, the only one I am somewhat skeptical of is Death Note. Of the Top Ten anime, Mushishi and GITS SAC, both of which are my favorites, I'm somewhat skeptical of (if only because they're too recent and thus stand at a disadvantage in "All Time" Polls).

By the way,
#11 to #25 for both departments are:

Anime:

11. Dragon Ball Series
12. Mononoke Hime
13. Akira
14: Sen to CHihiro
15. Doraemon
16. FMA: Conqueror of Shambala
17. Kureno Buta
18. Legend of Galactic Heroes
19. Don't know it, won't bother to look it up, its from the 2000s though
20. Gundam: CHar's Counterattack
21. Card Captor Sakura
22. Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuitsu
23. Kamichu!
24. Patlabor 2, the Movie
25. Z-Gundam.

Manga:
11. One Piece
12. Parasite
13. Yotsubato
14: Don't know
15. Akira
16. Azumanga Daioh
17. The Animal's Doctor
18. Yuyuhakushu
19. Monster
20. Ushio-Totora (never heard of)
21. HunterxHunter
22. Hellsing
23. Houkuto no Ken/Fist of North Star (Hard to believe that this one is so low)
24. Never heard of it
25. Never heard of it
Old 2006-10-14, 23:19   Link #567
OshadowO

so the last ep was slightly dissapointing in the sense that it was just another episode. But overall what a wonderful series
OshadowO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 01:24   Link #568
chucky
Always impatient

I doubt the Japan Media Arts Festival vote is anything meaningful, mostly a matter of majority tyranny only. Well, good to see at least Mushishi got some popular recognition for sure, but do we need any kind of this voting to tell us what's good or bad?
Old 2006-10-15, 06:51   Link #569
Lost

Strangely I have little to say about this episode, maybe because it was a straightforward episode, yes, a normal episode. What I did find sad was Taku's understandable inability to protect the mountain, made even more painful by the fact that it was what his father had expected him to do, as sole inheritor.

All in all, this was a story of change, change chronicled in the lifes of Isaza, Ginko, and Taku as they met for a brief while, parted in tragedy but were reunited in hope; this was a story that surely encompasses the life-continues spirit of Mushishi, and for that I think, that even if not as spectacular as 20, this episode was a fitting end to this Gem of a series.

And so it ends, low-keyed, slowly, quietly; what else was I expecting? But really, really, is it really an ending? As Ginko continues his travels, as more "unknowns" to humans remain to be discovered...

In anycase, I look forward to continuing Ginko's journey with him in the manga.

Thank you, Ginko.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 07:30   Link #570
lommm
l'homme de lommm

i meant fastest selling... Monster broke the record for number of copies sold in a single week or month or something like that and they were having to go into reprintings right away... i'm sure one-piece or dragon ball has sold many more in total, but that's because there are so many volumes... i know prince of tennis is up there too....

how many ost's are available for mushishi?? just the two? or?

C&D...cease&desist! I love it!
Old 2006-10-15, 08:02   Link #571
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Strangely I have little to say about this episode, maybe because it was a straightforward episode, yes, a normal episode. What I did find sad was Taku's understandable inability to protect the mountain, made even more painful by the fact that it was what his father had expected him to do, as sole inheritor.

All in all, this was a story of change, change chronicled in the lifes of Isaza, Ginko, and Taku as they met for a brief while, parted in tragedy but were reunited in hope; this was a story that surely encompasses the life-continues spirit of Mushishi, and for that I think, that even if not as spectacular as 20, this episode was a fitting end to this Gem of a series.

And so it ends, low-keyed, slowly, quietly; what else was I expecting? But really, really, is it really an ending? As Ginko continues his travels, as more "unknowns" to humans remain to be discovered...

In anycase, I look forward to continuing Ginko's journey with him in the manga.

Thank you, Ginko.
Yeah, but Mushishi was never an over-arching story as much as it was a series of very loosely related tales. I think the final episode was more than fitting, in that it was above average for the series... and considering how amazing the series was, that's saying a lot.

I'll miss Mushishi, no question about that. And I'll certainly be among the first to buy the DVDs when (if) they get released locally. I also want to put out a thanks to the fansubbers for subbing the last episode. If my suspicions are right, then they're the types that lurk these forums. They did the wrong thing, but I'm glad and thankful they did.

As much as I hate to say it, I think it'll be a while before we see an anime of Mushishi's style and calibre again. Obviously it's strength was that it was so unique, but we've witnessed a truly unforgettable anime.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 08:04   Link #572
Lost

Basically (the fact that, yes, its loosely related aside) I felt the 26th episode was rather low-key for the lack of spectaculars in terms of bringing forth emotions or action, I didnt think it was very much above average, maybe average itself (it certainly wasnt bad at all; kept up with the quality of Mushishi, yes thats quite an achievement but not what I would like), but regardless, it was fitting and satisfying as an end to Mushishi.

And yes, to add to Sorrow-K, thank you very much those who were responsible; we all know who was behind the horrible crime of Mushishi 26.

Quote:
As much as I hate to say it, I think it'll be a while before we see an anime of Mushishi's style and calibre again. Obviously it's strength was that it was so unique, but we've witnessed a truly unforgettable anime.
Quoted for truth.

Last edited by Lost; 2006-10-15 at 08:19.
Old 2006-10-15, 08:55   Link #573
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lommm
how many ost's are available for mushishi?? just the two? or?

C&D...cease&desist! I love it!
Yeah, there are only two.

I can't wait for the next volume of manga to come out; like I've repeated many times there are interesting things going on in the manga. A bit more of a backstory to the whole "mushi" deal and Tanyuu's family's curse of having that black leg... as well as what it really takes to force yourself to see mushi. I want to see how they'll continue after volume 6. I recommend anyone here who watched the show raw to try reading the raw manga when you're free... it's easier to figure out things when they're written...
Old 2006-10-15, 13:20   Link #574
nonexistinghero

26 is out, there are 'similarities' with another group
nonexistinghero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-15, 15:43   Link #575
lommm
l'homme de lommm

watch it bub, we're in the licensed section now
Old 2006-10-18, 20:51   Link #576
liehcas
glasses get in the way

Have always been in love with the OP, by Ally Kerr. So I tabbed the guitar out. :P It's not all correct, I'm sure, but it sounds right.
liehcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 00:08   Link #577
gianna
gigi

Oh wow Has anyone gone back to the page with the movie stills - There's four new images http://www.kino-govno.com/images.php...hishi&show=all

(sent you a message lommm)

Last edited by gianna; 2007-08-26 at 01:03.
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 09:14   Link #578
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Every single day I thank the gods of anime that this show was made and pray for a second season.

(I really, really liked the low-key episode 26, by the way. It was subtly done but quite painful IMO. And it was clever of them to end on an episode that at its heart was about human relations--when you strip Mushishi down to its essentials, it's more about that than about the Mushi. But of course the theme of man and nature remained.)

With that said... for the sake of reference, could someone list the manga stories that the anime left out and mention where they appear in the manga? Or if that's too much work, it would be nice to know the furthest-along manga story that was animated.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 11:12   Link #579
Lost

^ That made me think: about the guardian of that mountain (the catfish with grass on its head); I wonder if it's losing its guardianship and Ginko commiserating with the "ex-guardian" was symbolic to the end of this season – as in Mushi/Natural phasing out, Humans retaining ascendancy.
Old 2006-10-20, 01:10   Link #580
gianna
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus IX View Post
Every single day I thank the gods of anime that this show was made and pray for a second season.

(I really, really liked the low-key episode 26, by the way. It was subtly done but quite painful IMO. And it was clever of them to end on an episode that at its heart was about human relations--when you strip Mushishi down to its essentials, it's more about that than about the Mushi. But of course the theme of man and nature remained.)

With that said... for the sake of reference, could someone list the manga stories that the anime left out and mention where they appear in the manga? Or if that's too much work, it would be nice to know the furthest-along manga story that was animated.
I think we all wouldn't mind seeing a second season - maybe in two years?

Article on wiki lists the episodes and chapters wikipedia.org/wiki/Mushishi

By the way is there site for the movie yet
gianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural