AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-05-15, 10:16   Link #981
dr. fnord
jui kuen

watched this a while ago, ending up thinking that I'd have to rewatch at least some of it to figure out why it didn't quite sit right. but I figured it out, and it's all about Hiroki. because he's relatively affable, likeable or whathaveyou, but the thing is--where was his life outside of school, Elis and Kiri? his "not painting shame past history" with that artist dude? I mean, where's _one_ drinking buddy? a hobby? softball? something. but there's nothing. which then makes his dramatic arcs seem forced, since they're all he's got. I'll give him the "I don't paint anymore" scorned artist action, but the "teach or paint" thing is junk. as if the two are at all exclusive. how many art teachers do you know that aren't in it for the fact that they get a studio out of the deal? plus, the only social life he's got comes out of that school. and our evidence for his "force of will" was his standing up for assistant director whatshername, but that was just paying back a fancy dinner anyhow.

so the picture at the end is that him and Elis shack up for a while as expats in Paris, totally "into" each other (how else? neither of them speak much french or even english), her a student and him a deadbeat. but unemployable, unstable and anti-social as he is, he soon gets bored, spins off into another depression, and ditches Elis mid-semester to go back to Japan--leaving her to become some gothed-out "artist" pouring sex and drugs into the hole in her heart. very Balzac.

your heart breaks for Kiri, but what's the deal with her being a "PE teacher?" seems like her job involves schooling little girls at basketball--of course she can take it to the rack all over them: she's got height, skills and experience. it reminds me of that Bill Murray bit in Rushmore. but at least she's got a drinking buddy.

which gets us to the real star of the show--Hagino-sensei. my scheme for a surprise ending would be: cut the singing/snow chase motorcycle rescue "ohmigosh I can't stand the tension," bust out the painting, have them make out right there in the airport, then use the ten minutes you saved to reveal that the story you just watched was written by Kana for her senior project, and have a musical photo montage illustrating her thrill ride to the top of the pop novel profession, becoming an international modern day literary superstar a la a female Murakami, who might as well be a woman the way he builds his stories around fashion details. wink wink.

feels good to get that out.
dr. fnord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 21:40   Link #982
einlancer
stick-figure-man

I just watched this last night (actually marathoned it from eps 1-24) and i have to say i liked it a lot

This might be a long post though as i would like to share my thoughts on this series in this one post.

I liked this series mainly for two reasons.. 1. The way they used what i called "timing" and 2. Tomoko.

What do i mean by "timing"? It is an instance or situation in the series in which wherein a characters action or situation that done a few time frames earlier or later could have greatly affected the flow of the story. This can be also called a what if character A is a little bit early or late in arriving at Location A... I cant really explain this but to give examples to illustrate my point..
ex1.. The Highschool Kiri confession to Hiroki.. the timing i was talking about is.. "What if Yanagi was a few time frames(seconds/minutes) late in climbing those stairs and have not overheard the whole confession thing.. Would he not be bitter to Hiroki and in turn not steal his composition...Then Hiroki would have entered the won competion with his portrait of Kiri thus giving him self validation which may have led to him confessing to Kiri in return. Or what if Yanagi was few time frames earlier.. would Kiri have still confessed to Hiroki if Yanagi was in the rooftop with them...
ex2... Kiri apologicing to Hiroki for "shaking up" Elis' feeling which leads to the accident... "What if Elis was a few time frames early and heard the whole apologising sequence.... What would have she done.. would she confront Kiri right then and there thus giving a new twist to the story.. Would she have come out and forgive her on that spot... As it stands, she only saw the situation of Hiroki and Kiri hugging and felt "betrayed" not by Kiri (maybe) but by Hiroki (my interpretation).

As you can see.. my examples here could have easily made a big impact to the story if the characters were delayed or ahead a few a moments.. Or it could have no impact at all..

2. I really liked the character of Tomoko. Though she had really only one episode dedicated for herself(ep5) I have come to identify her most among all the characters. Somehow among all the characters of these series, she's the one i liked the most, and its quite hard to pick among the bunch.. Also has anyone noticed or wondered about the lines/thoughts by tomoko whe she was at the plane. "Goodbye, oniichan from the hospital".. i never would have thought that Tomoko have met Hiroki even before episode 5. Cause if you would watch eps 2 wherein Elise explain to the art president(forgot her name) why she started drawing.. you would see in the flashback that the little girl begging Hiroki to see his painting/drawings outside the hospital is indeed Tomoko. This was comfirmed by Tomoko herself when she was talking to Elis in the hospital and told her that because of her sickness she went to different hospitals for checkup and treatment and one of those hospital is Hokkaido(sp?).. I never would have thought that that little scene with little girl has that much significance in the story. I always beleived that it was just some random little girl used to build up Hiroki's character as a nice guy.. Not until the final episode was it made clear to me( at least) that Tomoko has much storyline otherwise( though it is not clearly stated and is more implicated and subject to speculations and imagination).

Well that post is long enough.. and for the record I also would have preferred that Hiroki ended up with Kiri and that Elis and Hiroki having a well established "brother/sister" relationship. Which is why the final scene of Hiroki and Elis in bed shacked up is so much of a disappointment for me... Overall i rate this series a 9/10.
einlancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 18:16   Link #983
DanielSong39

Read the first chapter of the manga...

Elis has a much sunnier personality in the manga - and we also get to see Hiroki's feelings about Elis right away.

The manga certainly did a better job than the anime in establishing the Elis/Hiroki relationship just one chapter into the story.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 18:16   Link #984
DanielSong39

Accidental repost - please delete.
Old 2006-06-06, 12:21   Link #985
radister
Back and Alive! i think!?

i found the anime quite enjoyable
at first i wasn't to sure of the canvas2. from the first ep i knew it was going to be mainly serouis and at that time i wasn't in one of those moods. i went back to canvas2 about a week later and found in enjoyable. sure it wasn't perfect and took me about 3 days to wacth becuase i wasn't as hooked as some anime gets me however, i agreed with the ending. i think they could have done a better job on some aspects but i found it as a good anime.

ps:- Tomoko was the best chracter! she rocked.
Old 2006-06-06, 23:16   Link #986
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Tomoko lives right...She was the best =[
Old 2006-06-07, 00:44   Link #987
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Tomoko's voice actress was Takahashi Mikako (Ayu in Honey & Clover, Rika in Hanbun no Tsuki). Another reason Tomoko was so good.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 00:48   Link #988
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Rika?? You don't say...

Tsk, this would have been an excellent anime if they worked the ending a bit. Oh well, it's still very good if you don't count the last 10 seconds.
npal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 01:44   Link #989
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Yea, Tomoko is awesome.

I need to play the PS2 version. >__<
Old 2006-06-07, 08:50   Link #990
Furudanuki

Tomoko was a great character, but for me Hagino Kana remains the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
Tomoko's voice actress was Takahashi Mikako (Ayu in Honey & Clover, Rika in Hanbun no Tsuki). Another reason Tomoko was so good.
And Maki from Karin as well. Since the production schedule for Canvas 2 and Karin overlapped, I always found it amusing to envision Takahashi-san having to cope with bouncing back and forth between the darkly serious and semi-goth Tomoko and the chipper genki-girl Maki. Especially since Karin also had the far more Tomoko-like character Anju. I guess that says good things about her range as a seiyuu.
Now watching: Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka, Allison to Lillia, Clannad - After Story, Daughter of Twenty Faces, Hidamari Sketch x365, Kannagi, Kyouran Kazoku Nikki, Mahou Tsukai ni Taisetsu na Koto ~Natsu no Sora~, Telepathy Girl Ran, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Toradora, Zettai Karen Children
Recently completed: Ghost Hound, Aria: The Origination, Kanokon, Kure-nai, Itazura na Kiss, Special A, Birdy the Mighty Decode, Macross Frontier, Ryouko's Case File, ToLoveRU, Wagaya no Oinari-sama
Furudanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-07, 11:05   Link #991
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

She lives right is what I want to know. I had hope at seeing the credits
Old 2006-06-07, 11:28   Link #992
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The end credits of the last episode *imply* that Tomoko
Spoiler:

Sometimes I find it appalling what threads a series will resolve in a few frames in the last episode end credits.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-08, 01:15   Link #993
Shinoto
Rollin' Like A Boss

Okay Good. I saw that in the Credits. Her waking up on the bed and got my hopes up. Just needed reassurence.
Old 2006-06-08, 03:43   Link #994
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, it gave you the impression they needed about two more episodes to end it properly and eliminate the gaps.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-27, 10:26   Link #995
rei
Nya~ I'm a good actress

Phew, I just finished reading the whole 50 pages of this thread

I really love this series a lot I like the art style & the musics. It's pretty much to my liking. I like all characters. Strangely, I didn't hate anyone. Even that Yanagi Shintaro, I can't bring myself to hate him for what he had done Uh-oh. Why do I got the feeling that KKY President is staring at me

I was one of those people who got a shock with the ending Talk about a real twist. I guessed most people (including me ) were spoiled by the Hiroki & Kiri relationship in most of episodes, thus tricking us into beliving Hiroki x Kiri ending. Either it ended with Elis x Hiroki or Kiri x Hiroki, I really don't mind.

It's a shame that Kiri wasted too many chances to grab Hiroki for herself. Kiri no BAKA! Why on earth did she pulled herself away from Hiroki when they almost kissed in episode 7? I really don't get it. With that flashback where her confession was rejected by Hiroki, what kind of impact did it make? It just didn't make sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephisto2k
haha...same here.
It was somehow wierd not to see hirokis response to kiris second confession.
Indeed. I noticed that too. He doesn't respond or react to Kiri 2nd confession. At least I expected a blush. But I see nothing

Eventhough the series had ended, there's one thing that was bothering me. It's the omikuji that both Kiri & Elis got in episode 8.

Kiri's omikuji - You must wait for your wish to come true
Elis' omikuji - Your wish will be granted

Now that Elis' wish was granted, Kiri is yet to get her wish. So I wonder if they make a 2nd season or some OVAs where Hiroki will go back to Kiri.
Old 2006-06-27, 10:35   Link #996
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Phew, I just finished reading the whole 50 pages of this thread

I really love this series a lot I like the art style & the musics. It's pretty much to my liking. I like all characters. Strangely, I didn't hate anyone. Even that Yanagi Shintaro, I can't bring myself to hate him for what he had done Uh-oh. Why do I got the feeling that KKY President is staring at me
*stares rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Indeed. I noticed that too. He doesn't respond or react to Kiri 2nd confession. At least I expected a blush. But I see nothing
Yeah, that was strange clue number one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei
Eventhough the series had ended, there's one thing that was bothering me. It's the omikuji that both Kiri & Elis got in episode 8.

Now that Elis' wish was granted, Kiri is yet to get her wish. So I wonder if they make a 2nd season or some OVAs where Hiroki will go back to Kiri.
Never thought about that. So, apparently the ending was planned from way back.

Eh... I don't like OVAs that mess up with the anime storyline. What's done is done anyway, for good or bad. I'd like to see HarukaxTakayuki, for example, but making an OVA for this is not a good idea. Or a dead RinxAsa Hmm.. but that doesn't change the storyline... Hmm hmm... Well anyway, I'd like an OVA that can bridge the ending and the rest of the series though.
npal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-03, 15:47   Link #997
DanielSong39

The Hiroki-Kiri romance at the end was so forced, unconvincing, and frustrating to watch that the Elis ending almost made sense.

Maybe Hiroki was so wishy-washy with Kiri because he wasn't really into her in the first place?
Old 2006-09-10, 15:13   Link #998
Searcher
RRR/Kotori/Tessa Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rei
Could it just be like this:

Kiri's wish: that hiroki would paint again, since they were a pair, her next wish for hiroki would be to paint again.
And he did, just after a while.

Elis wish: That hiroki would love her.

Just mine opinion

Love this anime, ending and music where great!
Second season would be great but i don't think that would happen
Just hope for an after Ova for closure and to see Tomoko again
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-10, 17:41   Link #999
Zhemos

For the Tomoko fans.

Old 2006-09-11, 07:15   Link #1000
Searcher
RRR/Kotori/Tessa Servant

Thanks Zhemos, but if i didn't know it was Tomoko, i might have said she was Tessa from FMP.
Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, eroge, f&c, kadokawa, romance, school life, seinen, slice of life, zexcs