AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-12-20, 11:58   Link #1101
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

Riker gets a rep credit to be issued when I've spread the love a bit more again. That Tomoko pic (second from last row) is going on my desktop, seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srcibble
The only bad thing I would say about Canvas 2 is that I never warmed to Kiri.
Yeah I have to say she never grew on me either. Wasn't keen on the personality and I don't like short hair on girls, so she kinda lost out big time there.
Old 2006-12-20, 12:07   Link #1102
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Well, she didn't grow on me either(which is not bad at all considering he ended up with Elis), but at least she didn't have any bad points. That is one of the things i liked about Canvas 2 - there was no one i ended up hating, which is quite rare
Old 2006-12-20, 13:11   Link #1103
Radiosity
Sexy Tornado
*Artist

True, I didn't hate any of the main characters at all (side characters like Yanagi on the other hand...)
Old 2006-12-20, 13:44   Link #1104
DanielSong39

I think Kiri was purposefully toned down for the anime adaptation...

Her case becomes a lot stronger if she retains the game personality. Let's just say that she doesn't lay down when times get tough...
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-20, 14:49   Link #1105
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Ok, I've finished watching Canvas 2 for the first time, about a week ago, I think I spent 5 days (from sunday to thursday). And I guess I shall write my opinion. Sorry if I will end up being long.

Premises

Harem anime, a very colorful opening pretty self-explanatory, 1 guy (pretty average looking) and 8 girls (from normal to cute to beautiful to very beautiful). But I remembered this thread on AS being quite popular on the time the anime was aired, so I had good hopes.

The Story

After the introduction, it becomes kinda obvious than all of the characters are going to move on their own path, and more importantly: they're not all after the protagonist, if not 2 of them (although I like to say 2+1 ^^).
This is a main factor in Canvas 2, each character is capable of shining of his own. Meanwhile, the romance is brought ahead at a nice, never rushed off, pace, until the middle. Elise's confession to Hiroki, and his no-answer, brings a big turn on the whole structure.
Elise seems to go out of the challenge for Hiroki after this, while Kiri continues gaining points and believability as the perfect protagonist's match. However, there's always something that seem to miss between to miss, there's always a step less than how much should be done, as they said where I live, there's a always a missing gram to make 1 Kilogram.
Hiroki seems actually oriented on accepting Kiri's court. Elise has won a prize which would allow her to study abroad in Paris, and she has made up her mind: she's going. So all the clues bring to one direction, this at least until episode 20, at the end, when Kiri confesses a second time. The ending is an almost unbelievable subsequence of twists.

As said, the story works very well because, besides some "key" episodes, there is never an excessive focus on a particular matter, being it serious (as Elise's fear of red, or Tomoko's illness) or entertaining (as Hagino "missions" to write her novels, or the babysitting episode). A plus, because imho a believable and solid plot is built by a lot of little pieces, and not by a few big happenings thrown here and there.

The symbolism for Hiroki's choice of life (and consequently, choice of partner) starts being almost non-existent, and step by step it becomes an intriguing issue. That's the most interesting part Canvas 2 manages to feature.
At the very end, I felt very envolved by his internal conflict, especially because it was built in secret. If it is clealry told us near the ending (by the side characters), the whole thing had started a whole before, that's why I found it very well done.

In conclusion, as for storyline, it's difficult to find better on a harem anime. Da Capo (first season) was extraordinary in the second half, but the first was made of fillers. Canvas 2 maybe has 2 or 3 filler episodes , I can't remember more.

The Characters

The most shining part of the show. Hiroki, while being the stereotype of the good guy, never gave away a clue of his real intentions (let alone the last 4 episodes), so I was wondering if he was slow, or if there was something big behind his neverending indecisiveness. There was a reason, so I consider him a good male lead, he didn't take rushed choices, he took all of the time he needed (at risk of wasting it all !) but at the end he got the life he wanted, the career he wanted, and more importantly, the half (Elise) he really wanted.

Elise is wonderful. Blonde/blue eyes ... the combination I like the most ^^ .. . and in facts, Elise is definitely my favourite character of the whole series.
She has some tsundere sides, but she isn't a tsundere at all, instead she's always generous and full of advices for the others. She grows a lot durin the series, and from the spoiled child of the first episodes (Hiroki-Hiroki-Hiroki) at the end we have a mature woman (Paris-life abroad-independent career). Not to mention how she strongly defeated the fear of red, and how her relationship with the others grew, from coldness she ended up by being loved and appreciated by everybody,

As for Kiri, I couldn't ever really sympathize with her. But at the same time I didn't really dislike her either. And I did realize how important her role in the anime was. (symbolizing the path of teacher vs. the path of artist).
Maybe, as Rad was saying, due to the short hair, I could never manage rooting for her, not even when that seemed to be the best and only choice for the main couple.

A word is more than deserved also for the side characters, although "side" doesn't feel totally appropriate, it seems quite insulting for them.
Having watched Canvas 2 after Suzumiya Haruhi brings an undoubt advantage: you can listen to Sumire, by knowing whom her voice belong to: Hirano Aya. So I enjoyed the character a lot. I think she works on par with Tomoko for building up the Hiroki-Elise relationship. They both have a key role: if Tomoko is more at Elise's side, with good advices, Sumire works both on Elise, but especially on Hiroki. All gave a contribution, but I think that on the whole, her words and behaviours had the biggest impact on our main character.

I loved hearing Hirano Aya singing "Ave Maria", although they could have recorded a little more.
As for Tomoko, well she's gorgeous. And on the contrary of the stereotype she seems to represent when introducted (the shy, silent girl, eventually kind with the main character), she turns to be a cheerful, bright presence, which brings you a smile just because she exists. Takahashi Mikako made a wonderful work (as always) by dubbing her.

Lastly, Hagino. The reason of why I said "2+1" before . Not because she was the only girl besides the main two, dating Hiroki. But because I actually believe a feeling would eventually have been growing in her, if the turn of the events were different. There is a particular scene on the library (about episode 15) which gave me this feeling. This said, while sorry for her, I really couldn't see them actually together ^^
A great side characters, always funny. Vexx is right, she and Tomoko would deserve a spin-off just on their own (though I'd put Sumire in it as well, as the admirer I am )

The Ending

It has been surprising for those watching the series as it was progressing, right? I did read some posts of the days the last episode was aired, and I saw the shock.
I'm sure I would have shared the same feeling, if I was watching the series on a week per week basis.
However, having seen the last episodes as a marathon, it was not that big of a surprise. Perhaps the mental elaboration is different. Watching all the episodes in a bunch gave me more knowledge of the characters and (probably) I paid more attention to the little details.

Many hints were given away. They started after episode 20 ending (Kiri's new confession). The fact that an answer wasn't shown - not there, not in episode 21 - was the big hint number 1. Yes, they looked like moving closer to each other, but more for breaking inertia, than for a precise reason (like= because they wanted).
Elise's accident was the big hint number 2. Why to put her into this, since her part on the show was (apparently) 99% done? The fact that she was just slightly hurt, and could fully interact with the other characters, was the big hint number 3.
And then I pretty much agree on what the others said, Hiroki reacting to her as a woman (when in bed), and finally the choice of path. Elise=artist. Kiri=teacher. But he had failed the teacher exam (other big hint, making more sense at this stage).

When Hiroki saw Elise's painting, and started drawing his own. At that point (and also having heard Kiri saying something like "I'm back to be childhood friend") it was clear to me, what ending was going to realize.
Maybe showing Hiroki and Elise naked in bed, in Paris, on the last shoot, was a bit "strong". But we often complain because the ending are too soft, or the result is too subtle. This time they put us the facts straight. I think that scene was not totally necessary, but not unnecessary either. It was up to the authors if putting it or not. Personally, I was fine with both options.

I didn't like at all the last scene before the ending credits. If they meant to scare me showing Tomoko (apparently) dying, well they succeded ... but it's not like I'm congratulating. I found that to be a bad joke, totally gratuitous. Thaks God, Tomoko was eventually fine.

Conclusion

Canvas 2 is one of the best harem anime ever made, in my personal rank it is second only to Da Capo (first season). Definitely not to miss for those who likes the genre, but all in all, an enjoyable journey for everyone.

My rating would be a solid 88%

(or B+, or 8/9, whatever ^^ )

That's all. Sorry for the long post and for eventual imprecisions. If you find any, complain with Tomoko:

Old 2006-12-20, 19:00   Link #1106
DanielSong39

Canvas 2 absolutely elevated itself into the "dating sim adaptation" hall-of-fame with the last episode. A total shocker, but one that makes more sense upon closer inspection. The current list: (Note, this is a personal list)

To Heart (1999)
D.C. ~ Da Capo (2003)
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien (2003)
AIR TV (2005)
Canvas 2 ~ Niji iro no Sketch (2005)

As for 2006 offerings, Kanon and Gift are the most obvious candidates but it looks like they will fall short. Let's see what 2007 offers. (School Days, perhaps?)
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 11:33   Link #1107
axeps2

thanks for the wallpapers. I am always a lousy seeker of wallpapers. any sharing of techniques/sites will be appreciated

And I just finished the show recently too. Was shocked by tomoko part in the last episode.. why did they have to show it in that way I wonder...
And who was the onichan from the hospital mentioned by tomoko?
And what did Hiroki try to tell Kiri in the train at the last episode?

Did Hiroki break off his duties to the school? or he is still advisor to the art club

And does the game it is based on has multi-endings like most other similar games?

Last edited by axeps2; 2006-12-21 at 22:15.
axeps2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 13:55   Link #1108
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeps2 View Post
And what did Hiroki try to tell Kiri in the train at the last episode?

And does the game it is based on has multi-endings like most other similar games?
I think I can tackle these two... (I'd have to rewatch to remember the first question).

That scene where Kiri can't understand Hiroki is mostly symbollic -- it doesn't really matter what he said. Earlier on in the anime, they made the point that because both Hiroki and Kiri were teachers, they could understand each other. Kiri's comment that "I can't understand you anymore" (or however the line went exactly) was not only literal, but also a reference to that earlier comment. Because Hiroki chose the artist's life, Kiri can no longer understand him; the one who can understand him now is Elis (hence Kiri's subsequent "we're going back to being childhood friends"). A lot of what went on in the final episode was symbollic, actually.

And yes, the game has multiple endings depending on the choices you make. (That was an easy answer. )
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-07, 16:04   Link #1109
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I didn't like at all the last scene before the ending credits. If they meant to scare me showing Tomoko (apparently) dying, well they succeded ... but it's not like I'm congratulating. I found that to be a bad joke, totally gratuitous. Thaks God, Tomoko was eventually fine.
omg that i have to agree...i nearly cried and my heart was torn from the inside (ripped to shreads) ~ i thought "thats it...if they showed her tombstone in the end credits im gonna go jump off a bridge" ~ luckily im still alive to comment here

well from a recommendation i finally managed to finnish the series...

imo its one of the best harem series ive seen ~ the last ep made it go straight up there to well in my top 3 ^_^

i found it somewat refreshing to see a main lead girl not going crazy at the sight of her onii chan meeting with another women ~ tbh i didnt like elis near the start when she started to show her "jealous" moods...but as the series went on she developed a hell lot ~ one of the most mature female leads ive seen to be honest...hers and hiroki's role was kinda switched near the end as hiroki still struggles with his own problems elis has already solved hers and was planning on moving on ~

another thing different about this is the factor that hiroki has to juggle ~ childhood friend or close reletive? imo he handled it quite well in the end as he made the resolve to paint again ~ even tho he did seem oblivious at first i think its just his personality...he confined his feelings and tried to force himself to adapt into being a teacher (which wasnt his style) ~

the side cast was great ~ viva la tomoko! *waves flag* this fisty gothic lolita was soo moe to me i would swear to bow to her in only i hadnt made that pact with gin sama already

hagino is also a comedy goddess ~ once again i also agree that she and tomoko deserves a spin off

well as another series bites the dust it leaves another gaping hole ~ canvas 2 was a shocking surprise to me as i thought nothing much of it as i started watching ~ just your average harem series that doesn move (most of the times) ~ but tbh there wasnt much harem to begin with...just a love triangle ^_^

solid 10/10 in my books...it was a masterpiece painted in front of my eyes ~

and for the record ~ i feel sorry for shouta...he tried soo hard >.< unlucky

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-13, 17:15   Link #1110
retardation
phantom loser

the ending of this anime makes me want to punch someone in the face... really.
retardation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 01:26   Link #1111
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Well, maybe this'll be another sort of Canvas 2 ending that'll provoke a slightly different reaction... the art cards and calendar cards from the final Canvas 2 DVD (finally! ). As usual, the first art card ties in to mini-drama included with the last LE DVD.
Spoiler for Canvas 2 DVD 12 Artcards:
And seeing as they ran out of DVD covers for the calendar, they threw in a special bonus for the final calendar card.
Spoiler for Canvas 2 DVD 12 Calendar Cards (the last one is NSFW!):
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-22, 01:56   Link #1112
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
^ and what a surprise that the NSFW one is the my fave girl in this series definitely eyecandy

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-04, 22:09   Link #1113
Tasdern
Kairin fan club member

Interesting

Ok, Time for my 2 cents.
I just finished the series and I liked it. I had recently watched Shuffle! and I’m glad this was different.

Spoiler:

It was a good one.
Old 2007-03-24, 22:57   Link #1114
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Can someone please tell me the name of the instrumental piano song which plays when Elis said goodbye to Hiroki, and Hiroki takes a look at the paintings in Episode 24 (?)
cheesie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-24, 23:00   Link #1115
TigerII
Pilot in Training

At the end I went, WTF your like 20 is shes like 13 and then when they showed her fainting I went WTFOMGBBQ11/11!!!//? Then they showed her waking up and that was good, but then they showed those two in bed and I went WTFOMGBBQ again.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 03:00   Link #1116
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
At the end I went, WTF your like 20 is shes like 13 and then when they showed her fainting I went WTFOMGBBQ11/11!!!//? Then they showed her waking up and that was good, but then they showed those two in bed and I went WTFOMGBBQ again.
Actually, Elis is 16..which would be old enough to get married. (Which they did in the game). My guess for Hiroki's age would be anywhere between 20-22.

And that bedtime scene ranks highly among my "sweetest anime moments" list
Old 2007-03-25, 15:35   Link #1117
mangatron
Boobzai!

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
Actually, Elis is 16..which would be old enough to get married. (Which they did in the game). My guess for Hiroki's age would be anywhere between 20-22.

And that bedtime scene ranks highly among my "sweetest anime moments" list

lol @ TigerII....

Yeah, Elise is old enough. I believe the manga touched up on her age at one point. Or am I mistaken...

And I think Hiroki is officially 21...I think...as in....how many years ago was C2....ah, so he is 23 now

What a nice wife, waking him up :P
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*mangatron's Holiday 2014 haul
*What do you call a girl using her boobies to pleasure another girl?
-PAIZYURI!
-*My last post for 2014 is dedicated to my PS Vita
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-25, 15:43   Link #1118
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hey, at least ya'll attempted to translate and answer .... the lack of names and other nouns made it indecipherable to me. (which faint?, which time?, which girl?) and the age was dead wrong of course.
Old 2007-03-25, 16:21   Link #1119
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Hey, at least ya'll attempted to translate and answer .... the lack of names and other nouns made it indecipherable to me.
In times like this you improvise - answer something and hope it addressed the point that was brought up
Old 2007-04-01, 22:57   Link #1120
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Canvas 2 [MAJOR SPOILERS]

Okay, I just finished this. It was really good... until the last 12 minutes of the series.

WHAT. THE. HECK.

Spoiler:

I need to do what I did after watching the ending of Chrono Crusade (and I nearly cried); watch the ending of Scrapped Princess. Because that was a REAL happy ending. That was a happy ending and it was the CORRECT happy ending.

>_>

<_<

Okay. I'm done rambling now. Anyone else wanna comment? Or not... >_<

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."

Last edited by JagdPanther; 2007-04-02 at 06:11.
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, eroge, f&c, kadokawa, romance, school life, seinen, slice of life, zexcs