AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Shana

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2005-12-28, 22:20   Link #121
Newprimus
SAN PT COLLECTOR
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
To those who call this show loli fanservice, have we all suddenly forgotten Tsukuyomi Moon Phase?
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 00:42   Link #122
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
To those who call this show loli fanservice, have we all suddenly forgotten Tsukuyomi Moon Phase?
The fact that Tsukuyomi Moon Phase was lolicon has no bearing on SnS's status as a lolicon show.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 00:51   Link #123
Newprimus
SAN PT COLLECTOR
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
The fact that Tsukuyomi Moon Phase was lolicon has no bearing on SnS's status as a lolicon show.
Hmm, since when?
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 01:57   Link #124
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 23
Quote:
I'm kind of in the same boat as you with respect to SnS - that is, I found it a lot more interesting at the start than now in the present. I chalk it up to the dramatic first episode in which a "story-shock" is employed by juxtaposing Yuji's quiet school life with Shana's fuzetsu-dominated perspective in which the destruction-riddled aftermath is the norm. Of course, there's also Yuji's startling revelation about his own.. 'status' among the living.
I'll agree here. The second episode was the best for me. Really nice and depressing, and also philosophic. After that, I don't really know, but I didn't felt the same way. I'm really not interested in Yuuji & Shana romance.
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 03:35   Link #125
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
On the series though, the novel is 11 volumes. So how far are we now into the novels? What volume is the anime approximately on? Is it conceivable that there will have to be a second season for SnS to go through all of the novel that's out now?
We're just past the beginning of volume 4, and with 11 volumes, with the end of volume 11 seeming to be building up to final conflict (possibly), I personally think that we'd need a 2nd season to fully depict the story of the novels.

About the tentacles: In SnS, the tentacles are merely there to provide restraints. Hentai hinting would be having the tentacles "doing stuff" like groping and such, which doesn't happen. As said earlier, Mai Otomoe was a much more accurate depiction of hentai-hinting tentacles.
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 04:18   Link #126
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Well, for what it's worth, count me among those still enjoying this show a lot. Really, I see the show as a metaphor for growing up - birth, childhood, teenage years... I expect adulthood is coming up next for Shana, eventually. Of course, the contrast with Yuuji starting dead is what makes things interesting and adds a lot of dynamic to the story (he's growing in a complimentary way to Shana). And the way it's played with the secondary characters too is very insightful - gives us a deeper look at what the author was trying to say on the theme. So, it's all well played, in my opinion; looking forward to seeing where things head next (although, how things will eventually end seems almost a foregone conclusion...).

Anyway, I guess I'm used to writing a lot more than this, but I just wanted to chime in; I continue to find the show enjoyable as it progresses through its phases, but I do tend to enjoy a good theme-based show. My resolve is weakening for the R2 DVDs...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 06:53   Link #127
Lambda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
About the tentacles: In SnS, the tentacles are merely there to provide restraints. Hentai hinting would be having the tentacles "doing stuff" like groping and such, which doesn't happen.
It's all a question of how dirty one's mind is. To someone who watches a lot of tentacle porn, anything involving things which look vaguely like tentacles restraining a girl is going to bring back memories. On the other hand, someone who's never even heard of tentacle porn probably isn't going to figure out any intended hints even if there's loads of groping.

But that can be applied to a lot of fanservice. To a completely clean mind, there's no difference between two girls having a conversation in the shower and having one in a room (with their clothes off and on respectively).

I've obviously got at least a reasonably clean mind, because I didn't notice the idea until someone on this thread pointed it out.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 08:53   Link #128
Trax
Rock beats scissors
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
I'm a simple soul it seems, I don't overanalyze the anime I watch. I either like it, or I don't. I like SnS, and hardly recall any fanservice except the pool episode which could have been left out. Those twins got some nasty habits though.
Trax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 17:02   Link #129
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
It's all a question of how dirty one's mind is. To someone who watches a lot of tentacle porn, anything involving things which look vaguely like tentacles restraining a girl is going to bring back memories. On the other hand, someone who's never even heard of tentacle porn probably isn't going to figure out any intended hints even if there's loads of groping.

But that can be applied to a lot of fanservice. To a completely clean mind, there's no difference between two girls having a conversation in the shower and having one in a room (with their clothes off and on respectively).

I've obviously got at least a reasonably clean mind, because I didn't notice the idea until someone on this thread pointed it out.
Well I noticed a possible inference to tentacle hentai in Mai Otome, it was kinda obvious with all the gasping and blushing and stuff... But in SnS there isn't like any "tickling" or blushing etc. So I don't think there's any real connection between "restraining with tentacle-looking appendages" and tentacle hentai unless there's "tickling" and other hinted stuff, or unless the viewer really, really, really wants to see tentacle hentai.
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 17:43   Link #130
stonedzombie
またね
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
heh......lets see how the next 13 eps pan out
stonedzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 18:02   Link #131
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
...well sometimes i overanalyze the anime i watch...but to the point where it doesnt matter anymore and just end up accepting it...

...when seeing the twins (...even in the opening...) and maybe everything else, i had to admit that it brought some discomfort at first...but now its whatever...

...and as of now...im really enjoying the series...its a good anime...im really interested in the "value of one's existence" or rather the "meaninglessness of one's existence"
...it brings back memories of nihilism...
...oh yeah...and everything else is a good bonus...lol...looking forward to ep 13 also...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 23:29   Link #132
kira_lacusXX
LOVELY☆COMPLEX
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
twins? i thought they were just siblings...isnt the guy older than the girl...i think i heard that somewhere...iunno XS or maybe your not talking about the blondes....hmmmm
__________________
kira_lacusXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 03:34   Link #133
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrencee
twins? i thought they were just siblings...isnt the guy older than the girl...i think i heard that somewhere...iunno XS or maybe your not talking about the blondes....hmmmm
I beleive that they are twins. The boy is older than the girl, by a few minutes.
__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 03:54   Link #134
LytHka
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
To those who call this show loli fanservice, have we all suddenly forgotten Tsukuyomi Moon Phase?
I believe it IS "moe fanservice" on the first line and it also HAS "loli fanservice." The story is one part of the show but so is the fanservice. Why does the word "fanservice" have a negative connotation among western fans anyway? Fanservice is GREAT. That and a good romance/action story along with Itou Noizhi's originality has convinced me to buy R2 DVDs which is rarely the case for me.
LytHka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 06:18   Link #135
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guze no Sekai
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by LytHka
I believe it IS "moe fanservice" on the first line and it also HAS "loli fanservice." The story is one part of the show but so is the fanservice. Why does the word "fanservice" have a negative connotation among western fans anyway? Fanservice is GREAT. That and a good romance/action story along with Itou Noizhi's originality has convinced me to buy R2 DVDs which is rarely the case for me.
Exactly. Sure, the discussion won't end about fanservice...But like I mentioned (or did I? ), so many shows have fanservice. The Full Metal Panic series, Shuffle, Canvas 2, even the Gundam Seed series have shown fanservice here and there. But is it the main theme for these animes? ( I don't know about Shuffle, since I don't really watch it)

As for why it has a negative connotation, certain people might equate 'fanservice' with things like 'panty shots', which they consider perverted. It just simply seems like a misconception.
__________________
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 07:39   Link #136
stonedzombie
またね
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
people reguard "fan-service" sometimes negative, because if a show is just made to be COMPLETELY for fan-service, then it makes it seem that the show is only made to cater for fans, and thats it........it doesnt care about a good story, or great development, etc......as long as the "fans" watching it are happy. I don't like shows catered just for fans, because it makes it seem like that is all they care about......i like shows where the people who make them do not care about the fans, but want to present the show how THEY want it to be presented, reguardless if it provides fan-service or not.
stonedzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 16:06   Link #137
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
...lets just say that if SnS had no fan-service to begin with... (...if thats even possible in anime...) ...would we still be watching this series? ...i know i would...

....then if thats the case...then surely there is something more to SnS then just fan-service...

...there were moments when i was watching and i didnt even notice the shana fan-service...like the scene when shana was taking a bath...i was more in tune with the discussion between yuji and alastor...that i forgot she was taking a bath to begin with...i like it how there is still something else to focus on rather than fan-service alone... (...ep 9 was different story though...lol...)
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 17:41   Link #138
ctrl-z
Un Nuovo Mondo
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Canada
The fanservice in SnS isn't so bad that it takes away from the plot in the average episode; however, any fanservice involving Shana is that much more noticeable because she's a loli main character. ;D (Similar circumstances that come to mind are Episode 10 of MSLN-A's and Episode 1 of Futakoi Alternative.)

With respect to fanservice again: It's not so much dependent on the viewer's perception so much as the viewer's knowledge of a particular genre. For example, going back to the tendrils/tentacles in 12 (sorry, I know it's been beaten to death), although there was nothing overtly sexual about the scene with Shana being restrained/suspended by the tentacles, viewers with a passing (or greater) familiarity with "hentai" may know that there is a niche segment of that genre that focuses on that type of appendage (and its nefarious usages). Therefore, it constitutes fanservice because the aforementioned type of fan will take particular notice of that type of scene; it has nothing to do with how dirty your mind is, although it could if you're particularly imaginative. ;P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamut
...lets just say that if SnS had no fan-service to begin with... (...if thats even possible in anime...) ...would we still be watching this series? ...i know i would...

....then if thats the case...then surely there is something more to SnS then just fan-service...

...there were moments when i was watching and i didnt even notice the shana fan-service...like the scene when shana was taking a bath...i was more in tune with the discussion between yuji and alastor...that i forgot she was taking a bath to begin with...i like it how there is still something else to focus on rather than fan-service alone... (...ep 9 was different story though...lol...)
No offense, but it'd be a lot easier to read your posts if you'd stop using so many ellipses. They should be used sparingly, and they don't serve any purpose I can see in your posts.

That said, I agree with your view on SnS fanservice -- indeed, if the fanservice scenes we've been exposed to so far were not present, would the series suffer greatly? Hardly. Good point.
ctrl-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 20:30   Link #139
FeelLicks
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103
We're just past the beginning of volume 4, and with 11 volumes, with the end of volume 11 seeming to be building up to final conflict (possibly), I personally think that we'd need a 2nd season to fully depict the story of the novels.
I believe it is already announced that Shakugan no Shana will be 2 series with 26 episodes each.
FeelLicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 20:39   Link #140
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
...sorry ctrl-z...you're right though, it doesnt serve any purpose...maybe for me only...
...i guess its just something i tend to do...please dont hate me for it though...

...so a second season of SnS? ...cool...know when does the second season air?
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, drama, j.c. staff, romance, shounen, supernatural, tsundere

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.