AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Shana

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-04-15, 22:12   Link #1901
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi-chan View Post
So, someone already read the novel? How is VIZ's translation?
I got it on Friday with my regular manga shipment for the week. I probably won't finish it for a couple of days though (I meant to read it today, but I was at Lacrosse all day). However, I'm curious how you expect anyone who bought VIZ's version to actually know how good the translation is? I can't imagine many people bought it in Japanese and then again in English just to compare the two.

It's approximately the same size as a manga. Which means it's not the same size as the Tokyopop Scrapped Princess/Kino no Tabi ones (which, to my understanding, were the same size as the Japanese novels). Dunno if any of that helps or not. The English is fine (from what I've read so far) and it seems approximately the same as the way the anime started, so I would guess it's reasonably normal. Unfortunately I read all the rest of my manga first, and then started on the novels next (which is my normal pattern). So I'm only a chapter or two into it.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 23:57   Link #1902
Saber Cherry
Marionette
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 14
You can always scan-to-text the first 2 or 3 pages (or if that doesn't work, scan to image) and post them or (if that's against the rules) pm them to a Japanese forumer who has access to the original. I'm rather interested, as well, especially after hearing rumours that Crest of the Stars novels were abridged when translated.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 18:19   Link #1903
Kisuke06
I see...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
I got it on Friday with my regular manga shipment for the week. I probably won't finish it for a couple of days though (I meant to read it today, but I was at Lacrosse all day). However, I'm curious how you expect anyone who bought VIZ's version to actually know how good the translation is? I can't imagine many people bought it in Japanese and then again in English just to compare the two.

It's approximately the same size as a manga. Which means it's not the same size as the Tokyopop Scrapped Princess/Kino no Tabi ones (which, to my understanding, were the same size as the Japanese novels). Dunno if any of that helps or not. The English is fine (from what I've read so far) and it seems approximately the same as the way the anime started, so I would guess it's reasonably normal. Unfortunately I read all the rest of my manga first, and then started on the novels next (which is my normal pattern). So I'm only a chapter or two into it.
But I didn't mean the whole novel. I wanted to know about terms, names, etc. If they were changed or if they translated some terms(and for what they translated). You know, this kind of stuff. Not that is so important, I'm going to buy either way.

EDIT: Well, I have just order it(together with the first volume of the manga Hayate no Gotoku!). It's just a shame that It'll take like 30 days to arrive here.
__________________
"I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies."

Last edited by Kisuke06; 2007-04-16 at 19:19.
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-16, 20:36   Link #1904
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi-chan View Post
But I didn't mean the whole novel. I wanted to know about terms, names, etc. If they were changed or if they translated some terms(and for what they translated). You know, this kind of stuff. Not that is so important, I'm going to buy either way.

EDIT: Well, I have just order it(together with the first volume of the manga Hayate no Gotoku!). It's just a shame that It'll take like 30 days to arrive here.
Well, they left Mistes, Rinne, Reiji Maigo and Nietono no Shana. I'm not sure necessarily what words you're looking for. The names might be spelled slightly differently (I didn't notice), but they didn't change them or anything. Shakugan no Shana is the fifth different light novel series that I've purchased since they started releasing them in the U.S. (the only one from Viz, the rest were Tokyopop), and I haven't seen anything like a name or place translated in any of them. But, on the other hand, I can't speak to the aforementioned Banner of the Stars because that's not one of them. In general I get the feeling that it takes less space to write English than Japanese simply because all of the novels have been exceptionally light (most take me approximately an hour to an hour and a half to read - putting them approximately in the same class as the A Series of Unfortunate Events books or something similar).

EDIT: Sorry about the wait, that part sucks. I'm lucky because I live in a big city in Texas, so stuff usually arrives before the actual street date for me, but I used to live in a place in the middle of nowhere in Nevada and it always took much longer to get deliveries, so I can sympathize with having to wait forever.
__________________
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 18:22   Link #1905
Kisuke06
I see...
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
Well, they left Mistes, Rinne, Reiji Maigo and Nietono no Shana. I'm not sure necessarily what words you're looking for. The names might be spelled slightly differently (I didn't notice), but they didn't change them or anything. Shakugan no Shana is the fifth different light novel series that I've purchased since they started releasing them in the U.S. (the only one from Viz, the rest were Tokyopop), and I haven't seen anything like a name or place translated in any of them. But, on the other hand, I can't speak to the aforementioned Banner of the Stars because that's not one of them. In general I get the feeling that it takes less space to write English than Japanese simply because all of the novels have been exceptionally light (most take me approximately an hour to an hour and a half to read - putting them approximately in the same class as the A Series of Unfortunate Events books or something similar).
I see. Well, I asked because this is the first novel that I'm buying. Thanks.

Quote:
EDIT: Sorry about the wait, that part sucks. I'm lucky because I live in a big city in Texas, so stuff usually arrives before the actual street date for me, but I used to live in a place in the middle of nowhere in Nevada and it always took much longer to get deliveries, so I can sympathize with having to wait forever.
Indeed, the wait is long. But it will be worth it.
__________________
"I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies."
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 21:10   Link #1906
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: England, UK
Age: 28
Did anyone hear about the Shana-tan specials appeared on the 6th volume?

Linky~

Not sure if this is official or anything.
__________________
Shiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 21:20   Link #1907
rooboy
Umeboshi!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Tejas
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachi-chan View Post
I see. Well, I asked because this is the first novel that I'm buying. Thanks.
No problem, if there's a specific term that you'd like to know if it was translated, I can tell you, but without having a specific idea those were the only ones that jumped out at me (as still being in Japanese). Also, I forgot to mention, this is one of the longer of this type of novel I've purchased. Even the individual chapters seem much longer than, say, Scrapped Princess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Did anyone hear about the Shana-tan specials appeared on the 6th volume?

Linky~

Not sure if this is official or anything.
If true that's really great news (and I'd imagine it's true, RightStuf probably just copied the solicitation copy Geneon gave them). Yay for high resolution Shana-tan!

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
Oh, good. That was really too short to feel like a book.
Of course, for all I know it could be because the book itself is larger. It didn't take appreciably longer to read than Scrapped Princess, but I thought it was quite enjoyable. But then again, I always prefer books and almost always prefer original source material, so I have a huge bias in that respect. It felt like we got a lot more of what both Yuji and Shana were thinking in the novel version.
__________________

Last edited by rooboy; 2007-04-18 at 09:51.
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 00:02   Link #1908
Saber Cherry
Marionette
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Age: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy View Post
Also, I forgot to mention, this is one of the longer of this type of novel I've purchased. Even the individual chapters seem much longer than, say, Scrapped Princess.
Oh, good. That was really too short to feel like a book.
Saber Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 12:54   Link #1909
Shana-tan
Uruchai Uruchai Uruchai
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Yuuji's house
Age: 29
__________________

Uruchai! Uruchai! Uruchai!
Shana-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 13:04   Link #1910
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
Did anyone hear about the Shana-tan specials appeared on the 6th volume?

Linky~

Not sure if this is official or anything.
I haven't bought the american volume to confirm this, but I doubt they included the 4th shana-tan special that was included on Shakugan no Shana SP, pre-movie DVD. It was just barely released in Japan this month.

EDIT: Actually, the american volume isn't released yet. Maybe they will still.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 18:11   Link #1911
Zhemos
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Blah
Age: 31
Does anyone know how many volumes of the Shakugan no Shana manga has been released in japan?
__________________
This space for rent. $5USD per month, PM me.
Zhemos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 19:11   Link #1912
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikimori Kazuki View Post
I have a question regarding Wilheliem (sry if i spelt it wrong) but what does de arimasu means? she always adds that word at the end. I know it has something to do with polite-ness. like...."Were you looking for me, yes?"
On a slightly related if obscure note.

Keroro Gunsou also uses "De Arimasu" all the time. Hes probably the most famous user. Its pretty much a extended version of Desu in a way though.
__________________
I'M IN DESPAIR~~!
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-19, 09:02   Link #1913
DownloadingData
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhemos View Post
Does anyone know how many volumes of the Shakugan no Shana manga has been released in japan?
2, according to wikipedia. 16 for the light novels.
DownloadingData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-20, 04:33   Link #1914
darktruth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
I doubt they included the 4th shana-tan special that was included on Shakugan no Shana SP, pre-movie DVD. It was just barely released in Japan this month.
So there really is a 4th shana-tan special? Any information on what it shows?
darktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 08:48   Link #1915
Darco_emp
Bored and Lurking ~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Under a cardboard box
Send a message via MSN to Darco_emp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhemos View Post
Does anyone know how many volumes of the Shakugan no Shana manga has been released in japan?
Standard stories 1 - 14 and then Vol 0 and S I think, or at least its that last time I checked....

And yay to the movie been aired... now waiting for cam recorded raws
Darco_emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 09:44   Link #1916
TigerII
Pilot in Training
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Earth
Haha. Might just be better to wait for its release to DVD or Blue-Ray.
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 18:56   Link #1917
Hahiru
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Mmmm melonpan ... looks familiar to something I usually get from Chinese bakeries. From the wiki entry, it says they're very similar to pineapple buns from Hong Kong. I've had pineapple buns all of my life, but am not too familiar with or have easy access to Japanese baked goods. If someone has had both, please let me know how it's different. Tempted to drive across state to try some.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melonpan
Hahiru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-26, 23:02   Link #1918
capture
Saber's Husband XD
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Age: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to capture
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana-tan View Post
Any clean scan of this... BTW thanks for the scan...

hmmm I'm hearing uruchai uruchai..... again
__________________
capture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-27, 08:40   Link #1919
Holy Knight
Time Bomb
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 31
The image wont load for me.

* The way they describe melon pan on wiki makes me want some.
Holy Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-30, 06:17   Link #1920
HikariKaZe
Student Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Can some1 make a sig of SnS for me plss?? not sure if this is the place to ask for..
HikariKaZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, drama, j.c. staff, romance, shounen, supernatural, tsundere

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.