AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2005-12-20, 19:29   Link #41
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Azumanga is quite sedate and relaxing. PPD is a lot more frenetic. (Not to mention that Chiyo-chichi aside, Azumanga is a lot more believable than PPD.)

Which is how I split my preferences between them, really.
"That was actually quite thought-provoking. Does that violate the forum rules?"
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-20, 23:59   Link #42
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
Only time will tell if it does end up being licensed. If some American licensing company screw such a good anime up badly (EVEN the voice acting), someone's gettin hurt. I remember how Excel Saga and Azu being terrible when translated (Osaka sounding country!?).
xxxplizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 00:55   Link #43
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxplizit
Only time will tell if it does end up being licensed. If some American licensing company screw such a good anime up badly (EVEN the voice acting), someone's gettin hurt. I remember how Excel Saga and Azu being terrible when translated (Osaka sounding country!?).
Well, a lot of things have changed since excel saga was licensed. Back then, they tried to market it as "insane zany comedy", to sort of a general audience. Now, not that excel saga isn't zany comedy, but it's a lot more funny if you get all the references and inside jokes, i.e. if you are a total otaku. Pani-poni is even worse in that reguard. It's just one gigantic obscure trivia show. But with the rise in popularity giving hardcore american otaku fans more visiblity lately, if Pani-poni got licensed, I'd market it towards them. Genshiken is a good example of this. They didn't try and change the core audience of the show, because now they realize it exists in the west too.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-21, 02:43   Link #44
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
In my opinion, i'd watch PPD over Azumanga any day.. but thats just me.
It's not just you. I do like Azumanga Daioh myself, but I love Pani Poni Dash a lot more. Sure the former has Chiyo, but the latter has Behoimi so it wins!
Old 2005-12-21, 04:20   Link #45
deathbygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy
Genshiken is a good example of this. They didn't try and change the core audience of the show, because now they realize it exists in the west too.
Think this point is an extremely essential one for this series (as well as series in the future that mimic both PPD and Genshiken). When companies start to realize that a fair number of this type of audience exists, I think it'll open a lot of doors in terms of the types of anime titles that will become licensed and released in the West. Personally, I still think the animation audience is still fairly young (as in it needs more time to develop, not the notion that the audience is literally young); perhaps in a couple of years, but hopefully this notion will catch on sometime in the near future.
deathbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 02:47   Link #46
kj1980
kaii~...kana? kana?

スゲェ~。なるほど・ザ・ワールドって超なつかしぃ~。トランプマンって今何してるんだろう、とふと思って みたり。

26話のffやってる画面に「air」キャラ、しかも「国崎最高」と書くスタッフもスタッフだが、改めて言 おう!「ぱにぽにだっしゅ!」のスタッフ最高!!

乙ッス!!!

Man, "Naruhodo the World" was my favorite quiz show when I was in middle school! I thank the staff for putting in so many references and background gags that only us otakus would understand! Thanks for the memories!!

Reflecting back all the 26 episodes, I managed to get around 90-95% of the background references and gags...from Jiisan & baasan (Shimura Ken and Kato Cha) to Hisasattsu Shigotonin, from Kamen Rider to "Fwooo" Razor Ramon HG. But my all time favorite would definitely be Watanuki, Kurusu-chan, and Miyata Akira enacting MMR. That was so classic!! "Na-nandattee~~~!!"
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 02:49   Link #47
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
スゲェ~。なるほど・ザ・ワールドって超なつかしぃ~。トランプマンって今何してるんだろう、とふと思って みたり。

26話のffやってる画面に「air」キャラ、しかも「国崎最高」と書くスタッフもスタッフだが、改めて言 おう!「ぱにぽにだっしゅ!」のスタッフ最高!!

乙ッス!!!
Hi...Yes...umm...Air...that was a really good TV series...can we have the rest in english too please?
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-27, 20:23   Link #48
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Well, the PPD ost's out now.. and this is one soundtrack i've been waiting for!

I've only been listening to it for a while, and already is it my fav' of 2005 - and thats compared to a lot of good ones. ^^
Old 2005-12-28, 07:14   Link #49
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

i also like the soundtrack alot.

i want to like the anime alot, but i just cant seem to get into it, even though its just my type.

it has some great moments and other times it just drags along. tons of effort has been put into the parodies, but they only hit the funny mark like 30% of the time.

maybe some of it is lost in the translation, but im familiar with most of the references so i dont think thats it. the school excursion was gold and so was the school gangster showdown, the bunny tree was also great.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 17:41   Link #50
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Personally, I found that a very fitting neg-rep. What you did was just set-up someone who doesn't like signs of elitism and/or "what if it gets licensed" fears that made you come off as if the fansubbers are God and win rolled up into one being. Excel Saga and Azumanga Daioh didn't end up butchered at all since the pointed out a lot of cultural references, and if PPD! were to get licensed by ADV, they would do so again for it. They didn't bother to do on-screen translations for AzuDai because there weren't that many, whereas for Excel Saga would have to come for its own book, so they added a special setting for notes. Besides, there is a Japanese option with subtitles for most licensed series. Besides, if Americans are downloading this anime, I think they get the jokes because the fan-subbing group points them out.

Shallow: You say it's being ruined. OH SHI-

Wait a minute! Isn't that what everybody says about every Goddamn series if it were to get licensed!? Yes, I do believe so!

Ignorant: You think up of reasons off the fly how it could be ruined. There's a freaking subtitle option. Hate the dub? Then USE IT INSTEAD OF WATCHING THE DUB! Also, you're acting like the fan-subbers are better then the people who do it as their jobs. They have more expirience (work and years of working-wise) then someone who subs during their spare time.

Looks at how Excel Saga came out. They did a grade-A job with the cultural references, and that has a multiplied amount more than PPD! In comparision, this anime would look like a cake-walk compared to Excel Saga.

Also, if you're from the UK, why are you worrying about the US audience? What do you take us for? Uncultured idiots? I think we can read subtitles and translator notes just fine. The only worry we'd have about this series is that if it weren't licensed by ADV since every other company is too lazy to put in reference notes. Instead of whining about someone who disagrees with you, keep that kind of thing to yourself. You're only going to attract more neg-reps by whining about it, and I should know since I learned that the hard way many times.

Personally, about the post you go negged for, I completely disagree with you. I'm trying to find something in that point I can back you up on, but I am failing to do so. Yep. The neg-repper really knows his stuff.
Old 2005-12-30, 07:19   Link #51
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

no, excel saga doesnt even have half the references pani dash does... .seriously

excel saga is great and its wacky, but PPD is packed FULL of unimportant references. even the background signs and reflections are parodies of something...

and your mad because he gave u a negative mark? here ill give u a positive one XD
Old 2005-12-30, 14:37   Link #52
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
Looks at how Excel Saga came out. They did a grade-A job with the cultural references, and that has a multiplied amount more than PPD! In comparision, this anime would look like a cake-walk compared to Excel Saga.
PPD has easily five to ten times the references Excel Saga does. Even unimportant things (the writing on the blackboard, the art style used at different times) are references to either manga/anime/cultural things; however, I don't think you actually have to get all of the references for PPD to be hysterical (I know I'm missing well over half of them and it's still funny as hell), but your ratio is backwards.

Besides ADV, if someone were to license PPD I would want it to be Rightstuf, as they do a good job of including translation notes for the series I've bought from them (Kare Kano and Comic Party).

EDIT: I also think his point was more along the lines of not every company should license PPD. Really, it would, IMO, need to be either ADV or Rightstuf with it in order to do proper justice to the in jokes and stuff that are literally crammed into so many of the shots.
Old 2005-12-31, 16:37   Link #53
Zappster

Quote:

Ignorant: You think up of reasons off the fly how it could be ruined. There's a freaking subtitle option. Hate the dub? Then USE IT INSTEAD OF WATCHING THE DUB! Also, you're acting like the fan-subbers are better then the people who do it as their jobs. They have more expirience (work and years of working-wise) then someone who subs during their spare time.
And yet in some cases this is blatantly untrue. An example being the UK release of GitS:SaC vol1 which has absolutely abysmal subtitle timing in some of the eps. The first five or six minutes of episode1 for example are appalling, with some lines being displayed on screen a good second or two after a particular character has spoken. Makes for a pretty crappy experience as I generally prefer to watch with japanese audio and subtitles. Comparing this to the same episode I have from a fansub group which has much better timing for the subs IMO.
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 18:31   Link #54
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
PPD has easily five to ten times the references Excel Saga does. Even unimportant things (the writing on the blackboard, the art style used at different times) are references to either manga/anime/cultural things; however, I don't think you actually have to get all of the references for PPD to be hysterical (I know I'm missing well over half of them and it's still funny as hell), but your ratio is backwards.
Then I must be the exception on the ratios. I only had to pause for 90 seconds an episode, meanwhile with Excel Saga with the extra notes, I paused for a good few minutes. In PDs defense, ES had a lot of jokes I did get the first time I watched it, but they were just basic anime rip-offs. When it comes to the word-play jokes, I am completely lost.

Quote:
Besides ADV, if someone were to license PPD I would want it to be Rightstuf, as they do a good job of including translation notes for the series I've bought from them (Kare Kano and Comic Party).
I've only watched Comic Party from them. It was enjoyable, but it had a God-awful dub that not even I an defend. I cannot say anything positive whenever an anime uses the 4Kids dub actors. If you can stand the voices, then the dub wasn't half-bad.

Quote:
EDIT: I also think his point was more along the lines of not every company should license PPD. Really, it would, IMO, need to be either ADV or Rightstuf with it in order to do proper justice to the in jokes and stuff that are literally crammed into so many of the shots.
You are correct with that statement. 4Kids just sucks and FUNimation doesn't seem like the kind of company that would get a series like that. Bandai nees no explination since they make everything as 3rd rate as possible, and Nelvana's even worse. If PPD gets licensed and it's not those two companies, I'm staying away.
Old 2005-12-31, 19:33   Link #55
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Then I must be the exception on the ratios. I only had to pause for 90 seconds an episode, meanwhile with Excel Saga with the extra notes, I paused for a good few minutes. In PDs defense, ES had a lot of jokes I did get the first time I watched it, but they were just basic anime rip-offs. When it comes to the word-play jokes, I am completely lost.
I think it's just a difference in the way the series are structured. Most of these types of jokes are stuck off in the margins in PPD and have little if anything to do with the plot. I don't even usually pause to catch most of them, unless I start to find one of them interesting (sometimes this happens in the newscasts). That doesn't mean it has less references, it has far more, you just don't need to get them for the series to be funny. Excel Saga (and Azumanga) are different shows from PPD, and each is funny in a different way.
Quote:
I've only watched Comic Party from them. It was enjoyable, but it had a God-awful dub that not even I an defend. I cannot say anything positive whenever an anime uses the 4Kids dub actors. If you can stand the voices, then the dub wasn't half-bad.
Well, the dubs were better for Kare Kano, but still not good. But then, in my experience the dubs for any company are rarely good, just useable. (I don't know if I would call them awful either, they just don't seem particularly inspired one way or the other).
Old 2006-01-10, 10:44   Link #56
Blaat
AS member for 10 years

Another great release by gg, 25 pages worth of notes

It was a funny episode.
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 14:05   Link #57
Hayamaneko
cat boy?

Send a message via AIM to Hayamaneko
Nanjo is pretty hot for a possible fur fag

Spoiler:

Last edited by Hayamaneko; 2006-01-10 at 14:22.
Hayamaneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 02:15   Link #58
xxxplizit
triple-echhi

Send a message via AIM to xxxplizit Send a message via MSN to xxxplizit Send a message via Yahoo to xxxplizit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayamaneko
Nanjo is pretty hot for a possible fur fag

Spoiler:
Wait til you see later episodes. :P ...Or just watch the raws if you can't wait for GG Fansubbing (or Oyasumi or MahoMaho if they catch up).
Old 2006-01-13, 04:12   Link #59
Lord cirex
priest of skuld & ichijou

Send a message via AIM to Lord cirex
azumanga has osaka ,pani poni dash has ichijou. put them together and make a spin off. theres a thought to keep you up at night.
Lord cirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 04:14   Link #60
Ilpalazzo-sama

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxplizit
Wait til you see later episodes. :P ...Or just watch the raws if you can't wait for GG Fansubbing (or Oyasumi or MahoMaho if they catch up).
MahoMaho has already dropped the series, they only released ep1. I actually watch GG, then delete it an wait for the Oyasumi version and re-watch it.
Ilpalazzo-sama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, shounen