AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2003-12-12, 00:28   Link #1
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

Need your input for idea towards notebook comps

I am getting money for a notebook comp but I am a total newb at notebooks so can you guys tell me which one I should get and what do you think of them?

1) hp pavilion ze5568cl http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en...77-374378.html

2) LifeBook® N3010 Series http://www.fujitsu.ca/products/noteb...fications.html

3) Tecra A1 http://www.toshiba.ca/web/specificat...1975&part=1891

I kind of like Lifebook but I don't know if they have a problem with overheat or not.....

or any other ones that you think it's good, you can tell me here
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 01:07   Link #2
GATX207_Blitz
Gobble Gobble

Send a message via MSN to GATX207_Blitz
hmm well is money an issue because if it were up to me I would get a mac....I think labtops kind of stink. You should get a powerbook, BUT

Since you gave out your choices I would recommend the hp because I trust hp, but then again giving you a thousand reasons trying to persuade you would be pointless because you seem to like the lifebook.

So its simple you buy the one you like.

I'm sure that there wouldn't be a problem on overheating unless you treated it like a PC and left it on all night d/ling anime....Meaning if your not planning on using the labtop to do extensivley long tasks that are usually meant for PCs then you won't have a problem at all because about every company does test on all these areas before marketing so you shouldn't worry that much. I trust them kind of......
GATX207_Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 01:28   Link #3
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
Powerbook... :drool:

But for PC's i prefer Toshiba laptops

I'd look at the Satellite series instead of the Tecra's which are more for buisness users.

Last edited by Dopeskills; 2003-12-12 at 01:40.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 01:49   Link #4
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I don't know a lot about laptop eiter, but a lot of my friends and relatives suggest Toshiba or Fujisu.
Old 2003-12-12, 05:12   Link #5
Nothing Special
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybear

--- LINKS TO THREE PC LAPTOPS ---

I kind of like Lifebook but I don't know if they have a problem with overheat or not.....

or any other ones that you think it's good, you can tell me here
Personally, I wouldn't bother with the HP and Fujitsu because they are so heavy! The HP weighs 7.5 pounds and the Fujitsu weighs 8 lbs! The Toshiba's weight is more tolerable. If, however, the laptop will be moved only occasionally, then weight is not important.

My iBook weighs 5.9 pounds and it's still a pain to carry it from class to class. Well, I got some thick textbooks in the bag too, but my point is, the lighter the better for those who carry their laptop all day.

The HP gets major points deducted because it has a 15" screen with a max resolution of 1024x768. Text on an LCD screen like that looks terrible, in my opinion.

As for recommendations… if you do not have a business or professional reason to use Windows (in other words, if you need a laptop only to check email and surf the web from the couch or whatever), take a look at Apple (Canadian link). I think Apple makes the very best portables. Personally, I'd go for the 15" PowerBook with Superdrive but I'd be perfectly satisfied with the 12" iBook G4 (with the 60GB HD upgrade, of course). I really wish the illuminated keyboard (on the PowerBook) was standard on every portable.

ADDED:
Virtual PC is an option for those needing Windows compatibility. But it's slower than an actual PC. (durr!!)
Nothing Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 08:17   Link #6
gummybear
MUDKIP MUD!

The reason that I buy a notebook comp is because I am in university and that I only use it in the campus, it's not for long hours of use since I have 2 P4/1024/80G PC at home. I need a notebook because 1) there is not enough comps for students to use on the campus, 2) I don't have to pay a penny since my university gave me 2.2K. On the other hand, I heard a lot of stories about how Apple comps are crappy and no one I ask would get one. I also looked into Satellite but their video only have 32 max, I need 64 to have FFXI on it. I just need something for 1) work use, 2) carry around since most of my textbooks are also in Ebook form, 3) to do in between my 6 hours of "waiting for next class", 4) that don't break easily or overheat, 5) within my $2200 range. BTW, weight won't be a problem since everyday I have to carry 3 text books with 7 pound each where they all come with E form text to be install into comps.
gummybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 15:24   Link #7
Wandering A.I.
エッチだ! しかたない

>the lighter the better for those who carry their laptop all day.

I carry my notebook (an IBM ThinkPad, yum ^^) around all day and much prefer the larger/heavier models. Pretty much any notebook is going to be light enough for my tastes and this way I get the biggest screen possible (are 12-14" screens even usable? *shudder*) and more drive bay options than the thinner varieties have. I love having a large second battery slotted in instead of the useless optical drive, for example (if I need a disc then I just image it onto the hd, they run faster that way anyway and I suspect use less power since the hd is going to be running anyway).

Not saying my way is better or anything, just representing the other side the light/heavy debate. ^^ Oh, I'd highly recommend one of the new 7.2krpm laptop drives as well (most laptops are only 5400 or older ones 4200 rpm, gah). I got one recently and every single thing I do on that machine runs smoother and faster.
Wandering A.I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 16:16   Link #8
p3psi
Oscar winning black actor

Since you're taking classes and want to play games also, i suggest you get a notebook which doubles as a tablet too (detachable screen) , if you like to take hand written notes and play games as well.
Old 2003-12-12, 18:24   Link #9
Nothing Special
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering A.I.

I carry my notebook (an IBM ThinkPad, yum ^^) around all day and much prefer the larger/heavier models. Pretty much any notebook is going to be light enough for my tastes and this way I get the biggest screen possible ...
Hehe, /me visualizes Wandering A.I. doing curls and benchpresses with the new 21" laptop*.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering A.I.
I love having a large second battery slotted in ...
The biggest problem with portables: the battery life sucks!

* A 21" notebook computer does not exist (yet)
Nothing Special is offline   Reply With Quote