AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-01-25, 00:38   Link #1241
Dernhelm
High on Jin
 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wammy House, Drovers Run
i don't know what happened to him, but he was able to give a distinctive style to his characters from a relatively old but far more superior series (Infinite Ryvius). sCRYed does a bit of a good job of differentiating too, i think, but it looks closer to the ones he did recently.
__________________


"Bass has mysterious powers over women folk." - Bono, U2

Shunsuke Nakamura makes goalkeepers FLY and land HARD.
Dernhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 01:56   Link #1242
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Were his characters not so "Everybody looks like each other!" I'd agree with you. Just look at the cover to novel volume 1 of Giniro no Olynsis...I swear, he merely xeroxed a colored lineart pic of Athrun and slapped it on the cover...

Anyway, I was just showing my complete agreement to the comment on Hirai. I'm always willing to give any anime a shot despite whatever its characters look like. Heck, I even gave Giniro no Olynsis a shot, and I didn't even drop it because of the way the characters looked. But Hirai has little to no ability to differentiate his character designs.

Anyways...
Well I've heard Soukyu No Fafner is an amazing mecha series marred a bit by crappy character design. Yet I'm working my way toward it in my list. He doesn't make an anime suck but man does he suck at his job. I'm worried as to why he still finds work as it does not make any sense. I know the Japanese tend to tilt towards Homgeniety but come on!
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 02:21   Link #1243
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bullshit at it's best. Hirai's character designs didn't ruin Fafner. Hirai is like Okawara without mecha. His linearts suck, but how they're potrayed by the animation studio makes it look distinctively different compared to being on paper. How often did we see Athrun and Kira looking the way they did on Hirai's lineart in the anime anyway?

In fact, I'd go the extra length to say that for something like Fafner, Hirai's designs actually contributed to the presentation. Hirai-designed characters have a tendecy to look it's best when they're full of emo, and Fafner is chock full of character emo IN A GOOD WAY.

THIS IS OFF-TOPIC though. If anyone wants to continue this, please create a Hirai thread elsewhere.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 02:49   Link #1244
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Bullshit at it's best. Hirai's character designs didn't ruin Fafner. Hirai is like Okawara without mecha. His linearts suck, but how they're potrayed by the animation studio makes it look distinctively different compared to being on paper. How often did we see Athrun and Kira looking the way they did on Hirai's lineart in the anime anyway?

In fact, I'd go the extra length to say that for something like Fafner, Hirai's designs actually contributed to the presentation. Hirai-designed characters have a tendecy to look it's best when they're full of emo, and Fafner is chock full of character emo IN A GOOD WAY.

THIS IS OFF-TOPIC though. If anyone wants to continue this, please create a Hirai thread elsewhere.
I don't think I said it ruined it, at least I'm absolutely certain I said it didn't ruined it. I think what I said was its an amazing series marred by crappy character design. Does anyone else think I said he ruined it. Don't put words in my mouth. There is a huge difference between the words mar and ruin. Hirai is a hack at this point and needs to either get better or retire.

And for the love of god guy stop spelling my username wrong in your quotes, jeez louise. Sorry for the rage but it drives me nuts when even if I choose my words carefully somebody still spins it in a negative direction. It's like I'm on FOX News all of a sudden.

Doing my darndest to fix another mess I caused do to people not READING and scrutinizing what I write, has anyone heard anything about a new Kiddy Grade anime that Aya Hirano had a coronary episode over a while back on her blog and then it was never heard of again. I've heard the show was pretty bad but I'm still intrigued.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-01-25 at 03:11.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 05:39   Link #1245
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 34
Another anime got announced:

==========

この青空に約束を―
Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku wo



Based on a bishoujo game by GIGA.

The following sites contain 18+ content.

Site of the company:
http://www.web-giga.com/

Site of the game:
http://www.web-giga.com/aozora/aozora.htm

From Himeyashop:

Quote:
This is a heartful school adventure at a high school on the isolated island. They are enjoying their life there, sometimes reacting against each other.
Genre: Seinen, Heartful school adventure

==========
__________________

Last edited by NeoSam; 2007-01-25 at 06:14. Reason: Added game synopsis.
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 07:23   Link #1246
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gairyu Isle, Japan
Age: 28
Is this new Gundam Evolve http://ruliweb.empas.com/ruliboard/r...b_news&main=hb
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 07:23   Link #1247
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 34
More about Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku wo from Anime News Service:

Quote:
Kono Aozora Ni Yakusoku Wo To Be Animated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese videogame publisher GIGA's smash hit adult PC love adventure Kono Aozora Ni Yakusoku Wo: Melody of the Sun and Sea will be adapted to animation according to information published in Comptiq Magazine Vol.011. After first hitting the market on March 31, 2006 the game swept the 2006 Bishoujo Game Awards wining The Grand Prize, The Scenario Prize, The Theme Song Prize, Best Pure Love Game and The User Support Prize. A seiyuu voice cast composed of mostly fresh talent was used to portray the 6 main heroines of the work. In a unique promotion campaign, the main theme song, opening movie, trial version and voice dramas were all released freely on the web. A major promotional effort also took place at Comic Market 70 and Comic Treasure 8. A PS2 port is is expected sometime in 2007.
__________________
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 07:45   Link #1248
cyth
ふひひ
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Age: 28
ANS should at least note that http://www.bishojyogameaward.org/ is not supported by major magazines. Nevertheless, the game did well in sales, actually just tipped the 2006 Top 10 rank on getchu.com.
__________________
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 12:04   Link #1249
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
ANS should at least note that http://www.bishojyogameaward.org/ is not supported by major magazines.
Well, it's probably also worth noting that it wasn't announced in "Comptiq Magazine Vol.011" either, as the volume numbers for Comptiq are over 300 now. They probably meant Comptiq Ace. But, you know, fact-checking... At least they don't bill themselves as "The Internet's most trusted anime news source"...
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 16:23   Link #1250
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Whatever the Bishoujo game is its a surefired hit. I've come to accept that this is what sells today whether I enjoy the genre or not, it's just how it is.

But please tell me there IS something deeper to the plot this time than guy and a harem and/or school setting. I cannot watch it if that isn't the case. I've seen one of them in To Heart 2 and part of Tsuyokisu and thus I feel I've seen enough for a lifetime at least. I've liked Higurashi and Fate/Stay Night and what I've seen of Kanon but that's because they are multilayered in terms of plot and have characters that go beyond the archetype.

The characters look cute, but that would never make up for a lack of plot and a story behind the face. Sometimes I wonder if these are merely commercials for the game to whet a fans appetite into playing the game and getting some actual story.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 20:14   Link #1251
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, it's probably also worth noting that it wasn't announced in "Comptiq Magazine Vol.011" either, as the volume numbers for Comptiq are over 300 now.
I see that ANS has fixed that.
__________________
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 23:31   Link #1252
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Another anime got announced:

==========

この青空に約束を―
Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku wo
HHHhhhhhhhhh~

*is struck by a heart attack*


Oh dear and holy raptor Jesus-sama, first Nagasarete Airantou, then Prism Ark, then Hayate, and now Kono Aozora..... 2007 will be a wonderful year.

NAOKO-SAMAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!


Quote:
Whatever the Bishoujo game is its a surefired hit. I've come to accept that this is what sells today whether I enjoy the genre or not, it's just how it is.

But please tell me there IS something deeper to the plot this time than guy and a harem and/or school setting. I cannot watch it if that isn't the case. I've seen one of them in To Heart 2 and part of Tsuyokisu and thus I feel I've seen enough for a lifetime at least. I've liked Higurashi and Fate/Stay Night and what I've seen of Kanon but that's because they are multilayered in terms of plot and have characters that go beyond the archetype.

The characters look cute, but that would never make up for a lack of plot and a story behind the face. Sometimes I wonder if these are merely commercials for the game to whet a fans appetite into playing the game and getting some actual story.
Hmmmm..... it's hard to answer your question.

Yes, it's got a setup for a school harem. No, the characters do not all pine for the male lead, or at least they don't do it as one-tracked and as openly as most harem anime or game (one of them actually hates him and practically everyone else in the cast in the beginning). No, the characters are not paper cutout archetypes, although that depends strongly on your standards regarding who is and isn't an archetypical character.

What is your definition of multi-layered? Does it have to involve mystical or paranormal elements? If so, then you won't find anything all that mystical or supernatural in Kono Aozora.

The plot is "deeper" than To Heart 2's, that I can gather. Is it as thickly layered as Higurashi? No, but then again there's very little in all of fiction that can match its complexity anyway.

So what would you like us to tell you? Do you want hear/read us defend this game to the death? Or do you want us to ward you away from the show? Perhaps it may even be better for you to completely forget about this show, just to spare yourself and the rest of us all the angst and complaint that may inevitably come later; and you'd blame me and everyone else for wasting your time with the show anyway.

But, since no one's seen the anime yet, the only example left is the game. I would suggest you go get the trial, or if you're willing, get or DL the whole game, and see for yourself how it is. If you can read Japanese, awesome. If you can't, use AGTH to machine-translate. If you can't bear the machine translation, or refuse to read machine translation, then there's little we can do to help and you should ignore the game and show altogether then.




................ well, it does at least have the best student council president character EVER. At least in my humble experience and opinion.
__________________
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-25, 23:32   Link #1253
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
I see that ANS has fixed that.
Oh wow - so they did! I guess my earlier sarcasm may have been a bit much (though, as the quote implied, it wasn't really all directed their way either).
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 00:02   Link #1254
Catnips
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Looks like the anime will coincide with the release of the PS2 game version..At least another anime to look forward to..
Catnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 06:07   Link #1255
Kaioshin Sama
Banned
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Neither Here nor There
Age: 29
Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
HHHhhhhhhhhh~

*is struck by a heart attack*


Oh dear and holy raptor Jesus-sama, first Nagasarete Airantou, then Prism Ark, then Hayate, and now Kono Aozora..... 2007 will be a wonderful year.

NAOKO-SAMAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!




Hmmmm..... it's hard to answer your question.

Yes, it's got a setup for a school harem. No, the characters do not all pine for the male lead, or at least they don't do it as one-tracked and as openly as most harem anime or game (one of them actually hates him and practically everyone else in the cast in the beginning). No, the characters are not paper cutout archetypes, although that depends strongly on your standards regarding who is and isn't an archetypical character.

What is your definition of multi-layered? Does it have to involve mystical or paranormal elements? If so, then you won't find anything all that mystical or supernatural in Kono Aozora.

The plot is "deeper" than To Heart 2's, that I can gather. Is it as thickly layered as Higurashi? No, but then again there's very little in all of fiction that can match its complexity anyway.

So what would you like us to tell you? Do you want hear/read us defend this game to the death? Or do you want us to ward you away from the show? Perhaps it may even be better for you to completely forget about this show, just to spare yourself and the rest of us all the angst and complaint that may inevitably come later; and you'd blame me and everyone else for wasting your time with the show anyway.

But, since no one's seen the anime yet, the only example left is the game. I would suggest you go get the trial, or if you're willing, get or DL the whole game, and see for yourself how it is. If you can read Japanese, awesome. If you can't, use AGTH to machine-translate. If you can't bear the machine translation, or refuse to read machine translation, then there's little we can do to help and you should ignore the game and show altogether then.




................ well, it does at least have the best student council president character EVER. At least in my humble experience and opinion.
Multi-layered is more than one overarching plot element or theme to the story. Despite everything you provided me I feel I have nothing to go on. I'll wait it out and see what we end up with. I will be checking out Prism Ark for sure though. High School drama works best for me though when it has something else to go along with it. Not supernatural or mystical but anything and it can't be just a one-shot arc or one character situation it would have to be a major theme. I went through High School once and I don't want to go through the same thing again if it ends up actually being less exciting than my high school experience. (I had a blast in High School.) Man I wish I had more info.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 09:32   Link #1256
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
No, the characters do not all pine for the male lead, or at least they don't do it as one-tracked and as openly as most harem anime or game (one of them actually hates him and practically everyone else in the cast in the beginning).
Are there any tsundere characters in the game ?
__________________
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 12:11   Link #1257
Kurogane_Shiroikaze
Mikuru Moe Overload
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to Kurogane_Shiroikaze
I am interested in Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku too... could Shinova provide a spoiler-free summary on what might be the story about more? I can't find a lot of information on it.

As of course, I've seen the character pictures from the official site and from what I can tell, I love the character designs already, but I would like to know what the story is about.
__________________
Kurogane_Shiroikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 14:01   Link #1258
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Multi-layered is more than one overarching plot element or theme to the story. Despite everything you provided me I feel I have nothing to go on. I'll wait it out and see what we end up with. I will be checking out Prism Ark for sure though. High School drama works best for me though when it has something else to go along with it. Not supernatural or mystical but anything and it can't be just a one-shot arc or one character situation it would have to be a major theme. I went through High School once and I don't want to go through the same thing again if it ends up actually being less exciting than my high school experience. (I had a blast in High School.) Man I wish I had more info.
Higurashi had one overarching plot element, solving the mystery and stopping the tragedy, with smaller themes like trust and friendship within, but you've apparently enjoyed that story.

Now nearly all eroges that let you "get a girl" consist of one-shot arcs, one for each character. How much is packed into that one-shot arc depends from game to game, but they're all still one-shot arcs regardless, and Kono Aozora is one of them. So is Kanon, but you apparently enjoy that story.

If you want games with a really solid central story that all the individual character paths orbit around, Prism Ark is the most current example I can think of. Kanon's is about Yuiichi recovering his lost childhood memories, but that's more of a setting rather than an actual plot.

So "Multi-layered is more than one overarching plot element or theme to the story." doesn't really tell me a lot either.

And your high school experience was a "blast?" Then relinquish all hope ye strange one, for if high school was fun enough for you to actually enjoy it and call it a "blast" then there's no hope of any high school-based anime or game meeting your expectations.


Now to address everyone else:


Quote:
Originally Posted by neosam
Are there any tsundere characters in the game ?
Rinna is the one you want (reddish short-haired in the front of right pic), although it's hard to call her tsundere since she's really tsun in the beginning, then is neutral, then gets dere later on, but only in her character arc. For everyone else's she's just cool after her tsun phase ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurogane
I am interested in Kono Aozora ni Yakusoku too... could Shinova provide a spoiler-free summary on what might be the story about more? I can't find a lot of information on it.

As of course, I've seen the character pictures from the official site and from what I can tell, I love the character designs already, but I would like to know what the story is about.
Spoiler for My description, inferior to ayyo's:


EDIT: I direct you all to ayyo's Kono Aozora thread, as obviously his skill in description is superior to mines.


Is the story deep? It's deeper than To Heart 2, for sure. Definetly deeper than the Tsuyokiss anime. The anime of Da Capo is a little better than it. Prism Ark is deeper than both Kono Aozora and Da Capo. Kanon is just as deep as Prism Ark but in a different way (Kanon is a small-scale human drama, Prism Ark is a fantasy epic).
__________________
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.

Last edited by Newprimus; 2007-01-26 at 15:15.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 20:22   Link #1259
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 34
Thanks for all the info Shinova

The official site for Seto no Hanayome anime has opened:

http://www.setonohanayome.com/

Broadcast: April 2007
__________________
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-26, 20:28   Link #1260
Sakuya
Senior Member
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: United States
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
The official site for Seto no Hanayome anime has opened:

http://www.setonohanayome.com/

Broadcast: April 2007
Wow, that first image with San with her sword looks awesome. Can't wait to see what's in store since I've only read the first volume of the manga!
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
announcements, new anime, news, trailers

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.