AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-10-09, 18:40   Link #241
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Well, well:

Based on Keisuke Hasegawa's Shounen, Fantasy Seinen light novel published in Japan by Dengeki Bunko, Shinigami No Ballad: Momo The Girl God Of Death will become a live action TV drama in Japan. In the past the story was adapted to a popular late night anime TV series on WOWOW. No other details are available at this time.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 00:54   Link #242
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Wonder who's gonna be Momo...
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 02:02   Link #243
akurashy
Cookie monstah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by npal View Post
Wonder who's gonna be Momo...
Good question... who's going to do our adorable momo!, I hope they choose someone cute
Old 2007-01-03, 15:05   Link #244
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Just finished the series... and i have to say i liked it a lot. Tho i am usually not a fan of episodic stories, i had no objections to it here. Some connection between the stories would have been appreciated (like the one in ep5), but it still works. It was an interesting look at death and how it affects people, without leaving a dark and gloomy feeling.

Obviously, Momo as a death god has some role in this. Opposite to the traditional Shinigami image we get a cute, white-haired girl, who actually seems quite concerned about people and their lives. Imo it was a nice take to portray her as some one who helps the souls and people attain peace, rather than some one who makes heads roll

I absolutely loved the OP - the song fits the overall feeling of the series, and i also liked the character voices - they seemed deeper and "older" than one would expect, adding a tone of seriousness to the series. Momo's voice fits her character perfectly imo.

Very easily enjoyable series, with only downside being 6 eps long. It also makes for a good rewatch material, because you can easily rewatch any episode you want, because they are not connected.
Old 2007-01-03, 19:21   Link #245
tritoch

Skyfall, you have way too much free time this season =p Glad to see you like Shinigami's Ballad. This series made me cry 6 times.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-04, 03:50   Link #246
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

^ aye, i am aware of that Due to various happenings it has turned out in a way that i have an ample amount of free time on my hands, and i am putting it to use
Old 2007-01-04, 04:31   Link #247
eggplant
Eggplant

The live action drama starts next Monday, from Jan 8th.

Looking at the TV Tokyo official site, I'm already having some reservations about this, which I hope will be for naught after I see it.

Saw all 13 episodes of the live action Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora and enjoyed it, so I'm looking forward to Shinigami no Ballad.

Yuri de yuri de yuriyuri ne!--Tsunomoto Rein

Last edited by eggplant; 2007-01-04 at 04:34. Reason: Fixed typo.
eggplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 12:25   Link #248
BBOvenGuy
Author-type person

Hey gang, thoughts on the first live-action episode can be found here:

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=41355
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-01-10, 14:27   Link #249
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I absolutely loved the OP - the song fits the overall feeling of the series, and i also liked the character voices - they seemed deeper and "older" than one would expect, adding a tone of seriousness to the series. Momo's voice fits her character perfectly imo.
oh i love the OP song as well...the lyrics are soo touching and meaningful to momo ^__^

well just finnished his series...i gotta say tho that the first ep didnt really catch much of my attention...spent most of the time thinking "when is momo gonna show up?" ~ but well gladly it got better as the series unfolded...

the plot (if there was one) was much more like "and insight into a days work for a shinigami" ~ well i wont say that its the best short series ive seen but certainaly it is unique...the pace is slow moving but gets to the point at the same time the end leaves a morale to the story...quite nice thinking about it ^__^

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-01, 23:50   Link #250
Zerowinger

Why was the anime so short by the way? an will there come more anime or is it only live action that will come ? :/
Zerowinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-02, 14:22   Link #251
BBOvenGuy
Author-type person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerowinger View Post
Why was the anime so short by the way? an will there come more anime or is it only live action that will come ?
Don't know why the anime was so short. The live-action is now over. I posted brief summaries of all the episodes at the thread I linked to above.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 16:13   Link #252
FireChick

Edit: deleted due to false release date. The actual date is early March.

Last edited by FireChick; 2008-02-29 at 06:03.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-29, 16:09   Link #253
ellifeedn
Thinker

I saw the anime and thought it was good. Not as great as other series, but it has its strong points. I'm interested in reading the novels, but unfortunatly they're not in stock on amazon. Could someone give me a discription on what happens in the novel?
ellifeedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-02-29, 05:37   Link #254
Sol Falling

My memory tricked me into thinking I hadn't finished this series because of the inconclusive ending and standalone episodes, so today I went through some of them again. This was quite a pleasant anime, but what actually inspired me to look up this thread and raise it from the dead was the powerful emotion conveyed by episode one. Suffice to say I was disappointed to find not only the poor reception for this show, but (moreover) that that very episode seemed to be the cause for it!

In spite of that, well, I guess I want to share. Episode one hit me quite powerfully as childhood love is one of the few things I can idealize despite my disillusion with idealism in general, so the shattering of that possibility and the reconciliation that followed it shook me emotionally. Kouta's remarkable sense of self (for his age) in the face of social pressure and Mai's sincere empathy (again, remarkable for her age) gave their characters a depth that was both meaningful and real. What was presented and then developed in their interactions was an unqualified and pure happiness in each other that is rare and almost unbelievable for adult relationships. For the loss of that development I am devastated by Mai's death, but in turn I was satisfied (well, almost) by Kouta's growth into someone who understands real loss and can find meaning within it. To undergo such a meaningful experience at his age would irreversibly mark him from his peers, make him wiser and freer in a manner that stirs within me, beyond the sense of tragedy, a perhaps cruel feeling of beauty and envy.

In short, I was moved in a deeply personal level by that episode, and find it remarkable.
Sol Falling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-18, 23:33   Link #255
Matt122005

So, I just picked up the english translated version of "Ballad of a Shinigami" by SEVEN SEAS.

The artwork is so awesome, I can't wait to read it.

Anybody else get the book? I had pre-ordered it.

-Matt
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 00:37   Link #256
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt122005 View Post
So, I just picked up the english translated version of "Ballad of a Shinigami" by SEVEN SEAS.

The artwork is so awesome, I can't wait to read it.

Anybody else get the book? I had pre-ordered it.

-Matt
Here Matt122005, I opened up a thread for the light novel. Make sure you ask there, since you shouldn't ask about the novel in the anime thread.

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 02:16   Link #257
Matt122005

Um, I asked about it since the post that started this topic had information on the novels. So it seemed to me that this was for both the anime and the novels.

-Matt

PS. Thanks.
Matt122005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-21, 19:59   Link #258
harmonious

Is the anime simply an adaption of the light novel or are they completely different stories told?
harmonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 05:27   Link #259
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Adaptation of the light novel.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-24, 06:55   Link #260
FireChick

I tried getting the novel but Borders didn't have it. But I ordered it so the lady there will call us if it comes in and we can go pick it up (I got the Pita Ten novel while I was there).
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, shounen