AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-05-20, 11:04   Link #2621
OkamiNoKaze

Anyone got any theories/speculations on Haruhi's parents and home life? I think though her initial reaction to Kyon's sister, she's probably an only child, youngest child in even the extended family.
OkamiNoKaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 12:24   Link #2622
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkamiNoKaze View Post
Anyone got any theories/speculations on Haruhi's parents and home life? I think though her initial reaction to Kyon's sister, she's probably an only child, youngest child in even the extended family.
I've always imagined Haruhi's dad as being like a more restrained and mellowed out version of Haruki. With a tinge of parental angst due to the fact that his daughter is absolutely uninterested in everything.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 12:37   Link #2623
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Haruhi's parents must be extremely normal, extremely boring and extremely busy at work. Both her parents could be office workers, the traditional 'salaryman', who works the entire day just to go home to sleep. And she probably has no siblings.

But she loved school, she thought her classmates were the best and she thought they were the most unique people. She probably liked her school so much because she hated staying at home. The only people she had contact with were her schoolmates and the only other people she knows of were her parents, that never spent much time with her.

She could have been brought up being alone at home, doing her own boring routines and having no one to play with. Her parents would return home and she's probably already asleep.

Until that day when her father finally had free time and took her to the baseball game, where we know she learnt that the world has more people than she ever thought. More than just her classmates and her parents, and that everyone goes through school like she did. So she started to see herself living in an extremely boring life, going through school like every one did and had absolutely nothing interesting to do at home. She probably became eccentric because of that.

But I think her mum was mentioned somewhere and is a housewife. She probably hates spending time with her mum in this case, who probably only does chores and watch TV, normal everyday stuff.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 12:48   Link #2624
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
I don't believe she'd think of her parents as boring. Normal and her father being a workaholic I can understand, but I don't think they would've been boring to her.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 12:49   Link #2625
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

That's certainly more pessimistic than what I imagined.
Old 2009-05-20, 12:54   Link #2626
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, seeing how much she wants to have a totally supernatural life, she must be extremely bored of something in her boring life.

Old 2009-05-20, 13:01   Link #2627
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

I took it to mean that she thought her whole life was unique up until she realized just how many people there really are in the world, not just her school life. I mean, we're talking about a girl a little over the age of 10 here being hit with the knowledge that there are millions of people in the world who are having or have had lives that may as well have been the same as hers.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-05-20, 13:16   Link #2628
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Most little girls don't become like Haruhi after visiting the stadium lol

Its either Haruhi's life must have already been extremely boring and just needed something to tip it over the edge, or that after visiting the stadium, she reflected back to her life to learn how boring it is.

Must be something that's utterly boring to turn her towards the supernatural. Since we're talking about her parents, I just make them a possible reason for her boredom.

Old 2009-05-20, 13:20   Link #2629
OkamiNoKaze

They could be like Mandy's parents, on the Grimm adventures of Billy and Mandy. Oh lord could you imagine the havok if Haruhi met Mandy, they'd either get along really well, or the bitterest of enemies. Both outcomes would doom the world though
Old 2009-05-20, 13:37   Link #2630
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

Its either Haruhi's life must have already been extremely boring and just needed something to tip it over the edge, or that after visiting the stadium, she reflected back to her life to learn how boring it is.

Must be something that's utterly boring to turn her towards the supernatural. Since we're talking about her parents, I just make them a possible reason for her boredom.
Fair enough. Still, I find it rather hard to believe she wouldn't have an emotional breakdown sooner than that if her parents and/or life were really that dull. All it'd take is one visit to someone else's home if that were the case
Old 2009-05-20, 15:38   Link #2631
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post

I'm more of the opinion that Haruhi had the capacity to become very weird from the start. Most 10 year old's aren't going to rationalize that they are utterly unique after seeing a crowd of tens of thousands and deciding from that point normal people weren't worth the attention.

And frankly, Haruhi has a much to inherently optimistic view under her initial brooding self to have come from a familiy where she felt neglected. If that was the case, she'd be a fundamentally unhappier person.

I think the explanation is that Haruhi's just weird.
Old 2009-05-20, 17:44   Link #2632
Jintor

Most 10-year-olds see a hundred thousand people and think "cor, that's a lot of people!" and then forget about it. Even at that age you can see that Haruhi was fiercely intelligent, or smart enought to start philosophising.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-20, 19:36   Link #2633
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
Most 10-year-olds see a hundred thousand people and think "cor, that's a lot of people!" and then forget about it. Even at that age you can see that Haruhi was fiercely intelligent, or smart enought to start philosophising.
Being that smart with that level of emotional maturity is a dangerious thing.
Old 2009-05-20, 20:31   Link #2634
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Hell, being that smart at Haruhi's age now is a dangerous thing.
Old 2009-05-21, 01:05   Link #2635
Ekul
Transdimensional phoenix

She's got perfect grades, she philosophizes when she isn't putting on an energetic and goofy facade and she can learn how to do almost anything provided she isn't screwing around and even then she learns very quickly.

You know, it makes a lot of sense that she distracts herself with the impossible. No human can come anywhere near her intellectual capacity. She feels utterly and completely alone. Her ranting about how men are insignificant is a reflection of how empty she sees everyone. She can't control her emotions, yet she has massive amounts of intelligence. Therefore, she tries to hide it away completely by unfocusing it, so her energy goes all over the place.

Without that explanation, I couldn't comprehend why someone as smart as Haruhi would act like an idiot all the time.
Ekul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 01:40   Link #2636
Jintor

That's the Garbageman paradox. Why is the world's smartest man a garbage man? How can you possibly know, you're not as smart as him.

It's not really a paradox, but still.

Last edited by Jintor; 2009-05-21 at 02:39.
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-21, 02:19   Link #2637
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

Haruhi most likely believes herself to be playing the role of "idiot hero," so she acts like an idiot while reminding people(either verbally or just by merit of her brigade leader armband) that she's the leader of the group.
Old 2009-05-21, 04:24   Link #2638
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Being that smart can CAUSE a decreased level of emotional maturity. Haruhi is breezing through life with ease, and realized that she is missing out on certain things. That's why in Endless Eight, Haruhi wanted to hang out with SOS-dan as they rush through their holiday homework; Haruhi never had to do that because she always get them done early, but she missed the comradely of classmates helping one another.

In some ways, you grew up emotionally by trying to ask other people for help, and figure out how to communicate with others that way. Haruhi never needed to ask for help in ANYTHING, so she doesn't know what it is like to be humble.
Old 2009-05-22, 00:22   Link #2639
OkamiNoKaze

I was looking through the image board ar the sos-dan website, and they had one depicting a fake "americanizing" of the characters names, Haruhi = Harriet, Kyon = Coin, Mikuru = Melanie, (I would have picked Michelle), Yuki = Vicky, Itsuki =Ishmael, Tsuruya =Sara, Kyon's sister =Penny) I thought it was hilarious
Old 2009-05-22, 00:36   Link #2640
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

... I happen to like the name "Sara"... Coin and Penny is classic, though

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, kyoto animation, school life, science fiction, shounen