AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-08-17, 14:08   Link #2861
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
^ And

-Those other old dudes from LIS
-That old dude at Nagato's apartment
Arakawa is noticeably older than the Tamaru brothers and has a name, unlike the apartment manager.

Only reason I singled him out.

*e*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
imagine Haruhi with Nagisa from Clannad's parents
That... would actually make a lot of sense.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... that's... not a doughnut...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 14:10   Link #2862
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... Arakawa is a teenager?
Ok, I'll give you Arakawa. I almost listed him, but felt that a poor man's Alfred (i.e. Batman's Alfred), with few lines and who shows up once a blue moon, wasn't important enough to count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
^ And

-Those other old dudes from LIS
-That old dude at Nagato's apartment
The fact that you don't know their names is kind of telling to how important they are.

Quote:
Her parents managed to keep her entertained until she discovered just how many people were in the world, and how that made her feel less unique. One would assume that her parents made her feel unique before that event.
Precisely. Very good point.

Quote:

They could be awesome parents for all we know...they just aren't superheros, spys, or something like that. (imagine Haruhi with Nagisa from Clannad's parents).
Agreed.
Old 2009-08-17, 14:15   Link #2863
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Ok, I'll give you Arakawa. I almost listed him, but felt that a poor man's Alfred (i.e. Batman's Alfred), with few lines and who shows up once a blue moon, wasn't important enough to count.
Arakawa is voiced by BIG BOSS. This automatically makes him a badass, regardless of how unimportant he seems.
Old 2009-08-17, 14:16   Link #2864
Joe4evr
(Ex-)Seitenkan VN coder

Location: Slightly south-west of the exact center of this country's X and Y axes.
Quote:
(imagine Haruhi with Nagisa from Clannad's parents).
Kaisos already does. At least on the father.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Arakawa is voiced by BIG BOSS. This automatically makes him a badass, regardless of how unimportant he seems.
I wanted to mention something here, but the right words escape me.

↑Click for MAL.↑
Joe4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 14:17   Link #2865
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Yeah, he's a cool character. I probably should have listed him in retrospect.
Old 2009-08-17, 14:22   Link #2866
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

Quote:
... if it weren't for the fact that Alfred is quite possibly the most awesome butler in history, I'd probably argue with that point.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
Old 2009-08-17, 14:31   Link #2867
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
... if it weren't for the fact that Alfred is quite possibly the most awesome butler in history, I'd probably argue with that point.
I was a huge Batman fan growing up, so Alfred is the standard that I tend to measure all other butlers by (except Hayate, due to Hayate's age ). For what it's worth, Arakawa comes very close to matching Alfred. He is a cool character.
Old 2009-08-17, 17:02   Link #2868
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
I disagree, Heatth. Like I said, its quite conceivable that she has at least one charismatic and/or dynamic parent, and that parent simply isn't home much. That parent's absence means that this parent can't help prevent Haruhi from having an "ordinary boring life".

Also, keep in mind what Haruhi considers "ordinary" - i.e. anybody who's not an alien, esper, time traveler, or slider. Her parents could be very colorful people, but Haruhi may still consider them ordinary simply because they're 'normal humans'.
I think Haruhi's parents are not above avarage in anything. Just normal parents. Normal = boring. Normal =/= particuarly energetic. I don't think they are the borest parents of all parents. But I think they are pretty generic.

Quote:
In real life, I've never seen a person with Haruhi's colorful personality (and I've met a few with a personality similar to Haruhi's, at least in the charisma department) have two boring parents. I've never seen it - not even once. I've seen people with a colorful personality have parents with an understated colorful personality - i.e. that's a side to themselves that the parents doesn't often show - but a certain level of charisma and dynamism really is genetic.
By concidence, my best and oldest friend is a very charismatic and dinamic person and has both parents pretty boring. I don't really know his father very well, but I am sure his mother do not have a ocult colorfull personality. And he lives only with her, anyway. Actually, I am pretty sure that, whe we were kids, he acts that way to annoy her.

Quote:
Are you referring to Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody? She was bossier there, yes, but she was still a rather energetic and interesting character, if you ask me.
Disagree. See the scene agian, she is more snarky then energetic, her voice is more or less monotone, exept when Kyon told her about his friend(Haruhi herself). She did get energetic to yell on Kyon, but is not as energetic as she is when older, just see how she is behaving when telling Kyon he work were not good. She just seen bored at time.

Quote:
Why? The Haruhi anime is about Haurhi and her fellow North High students. Haruhi's parents, Kyon's parents, Mikuru's parents, etc... obviously don't factor in to any significant degree for Tanigawa. Are all of their parents boring simply because we don't see or hear about them much? That seems like a bit of a stretch to me. In my view, it makes more sense to think that Tanigawa simply doesn't want to deal much (one way or the other) with Haruhi's family background and home life (or with adult characters in general, for that matter). Actually, there's perhaps no anime that eschews adult characters moreso than Haruhi's does. Okabe-sensei and... Mikuru (big) if you want to count her... are the only real exceptions.
Agree. That is why I hightly doubt they have any interesting personality. If they appear, it must be like Kyon's mother. Just being fleshed and don't doing nothing iteresting. Not being interesting. Not that all parents are boring, but are generic, not interesting.

Quote:
1) At least one of Haruhi's two parents has a charismatic, dynamic, and/or energetic personality like Haruhi has.

2) That same parent(s) is not home often (due to work considerations) and/or greatly disapproves of Haruhi's obsessions, post-epiphany.

3) Haruhi was spoiled rotten by one or both of her parents, and, up until any falling out anyway, they regularly praised her and built up her ego.
Option 2) seen more plausible to me. Not being home offen is a good way to just not use then.

Btw, she is really good in anything she does (having here reallity wraping powers and all), so is easy having a big ego. The parents could help (preasing her), but her school teachers probably already did it a lot, at last before her breack down 3/4 years ago.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-17, 18:52   Link #2869
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Heatth - Well, I respect your point of view. I just feel that the nature and personalities of Haruhi's parents have been left largely open, and that all we can perhaps definitively say about Haruhi's parents is this...

1) They succeeded (or at least helped in succeeding) in making Haruhi feel entertained and special until 'the incident'.

2) They spoiled her. I really feel very strongly about this. However boring, or charismatic, Haruhi's parents may be, I really don't think that a person like Haruhi could result from cold inattentive parents.

3) They likely disagree with her obsession over aliens, espers, time travelers, etc... and this is part of the reason why Haruhi refers to them so little.

4) They're at least solidly middle class. Haruhi's extensive wardrobe as displayed in EE proves this.

5) Her dad likes baseball.

6) Her parents aren't strict disciplinarians.

Beyond that... I think it's probably anybody's guess what Haruhi's parents are like. It's certainly possible, at least, for one or more of Haruhi's parents to be dynamic and charismatic.

Haruhi's parents is probably not something (beyond these six points at least) that the Haruhi fanbase should be dogmatic on.
Old 2009-08-17, 20:24   Link #2870
Heatth

Quote:
Heatth - Well, I respect your point of view. I just feel that the nature and personalities of Haruhi's parents have been left largely open, and that all we can perhaps definitively say about Haruhi's parents is this...

1) They succeeded (or at least helped in succeeding) in making Haruhi feel entertained and special until 'the incident'.

2) They spoiled her. I really feel very strongly about this. However boring, or charismatic, Haruhi's parents may be, I really don't think that a person like Haruhi could result from cold inattentive parents.

3) They likely disagree with her obsession over aliens, espers, time travelers, etc... and this is part of the reason why Haruhi refers to them so little.

4) They're at least solidly middle class. Haruhi's extensive wardrobe as displayed in EE proves this.

5) Her dad likes baseball.

6) Her parents aren't strict disciplinarians.

Beyond that... I think it's probably anybody's guess what Haruhi's parents are like. It's certainly possible, at least, for one or more of Haruhi's parents to be dynamic and charismatic.

Haruhi's parents is probably not something (beyond these six points at least) that the Haruhi fanbase should be dogmatic on.
Yeah, I think this make sense.

If your point was just to prove that we can't just assume they are boring based in few lines on the first book, I totally agree with you. I also was not trying to say they are boring, just that I didn't believe they are energetic (both are possibilitys, however)
Old 2009-08-17, 23:26   Link #2871
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
They succeeded (or at least helped in succeeding) in making Haruhi feel entertained and special until 'the incident'.
More common/ordinary than most people here seem to think. Every child feels special when they don't know about the vastness of the world -- just like how we feel special about being an advanced civilization in a universe we know very little of. You could argue that we were spoiled by Genesis, telling us that we were made in God's image. However, even if we take that out, we would still be amazed at the apparent scarcity of sentient life -- only that when you look at the big picture, we don't even know much about the galaxies outside our supercluster.

Remember what made Haruhi feel gloomy and start her search for unique phenomena? Learning that what she was doing all this time was the norm, that in a puddle of water she is just one molecule going about their routine and expected paths.
Old 2009-08-17, 23:37   Link #2872
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
So she was trying to break out of that and trying to find someone who was living a unique life or find some aliens, time travelers, espers and other oddities to compensate for being normal.
Old 2009-08-18, 04:21   Link #2873
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Wow, I haven't skipped through so much discussion since Endless Eight #6... I don't know if Haruhi's parents are boring, but watching you guys discuss psychology in the General Discussion thread certainly is... Maybe you guys can take the discussion over to the Ontology thread so that those of us who didn't take psych classes to pad out our college course load can have some hope of following the conversation...

At least Kaisos has an excuse, since he's apparently going to be putting some of it into practice later in life (see, I am actually paying attention to some of it and not just trolling...). Still, Ontology thread, please...

Spoiler for snarky, vague references to later book stuff (all secondary to the plot), not slated to be animated yet:
Old 2009-08-18, 08:07   Link #2874
Jonbob0008
The Last Loner

Send a message via MSN to Jonbob0008
I would like to make one correction...

Spoiler for 8th novel spoiler:
Jonbob0008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 12:01   Link #2875
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
What is all this contreversy on Endless Eight?
Old 2009-08-19, 12:17   Link #2876
Dakota
disregard that (″-)ﺩ-

Send a message via AIM to Dakota Send a message via MSN to Dakota
only possible responce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Welcome to AnimeSuki!

Old 2009-08-19, 12:21   Link #2877
Daniel Lind
ロック・オン!

Quote:
It's impossible to explain what Endless Eight is, one has to see it for himself.
Daniel Lind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-19, 12:21   Link #2878
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
Simple. It's a 30 page short-story describing the end of a Groundhog Day-esque loop . . . which was dragged out to eight full episodes in the anime adaptation. The controversy arises on whether this was a stunning example of modern, experimentalist art; or a stupid, inane, milk-the-cash-cow decision gone horribly wrong. This has been discussed in arduous, painful detail on the forum and on the interwebs in general over the last two months.

The short answer:

LURK MOAR!
Old 2009-08-19, 18:29   Link #2879
Kogetsu Shirogane
Giant Doughnuts for All!

Another answer: Something too awesome for those silly Normals to handle.
Old 2009-08-25, 16:54   Link #2880
Heatth

Some time ago the Haruhi.tv (official site) was updated including a link to a list of summer ativity. The same Haruhi showed in the a Endless Eight.

I've entered before and I am sure there was less itens stroked out. Someone elso noticed the same? The only left are "Movie", "Star Gazing" and "etc".

Maybe they are storking acording with the order they were done in the last episode? There was something after the movie? I only remember the karaoke, but it probably fit in 'etc', since there is no 'karaoke' iten.

Last edited by Heatth; 2009-08-25 at 17:28.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, kyoto animation, school life, science fiction, shounen