AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2011-01-24, 11:01   Link #3121
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
^ No sadly, we cannot.
Old 2011-01-27, 22:12   Link #3122
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally posted wishfulloner
But I get your joke. Shit, Kyon dreaming within his dreams? Reminds me of a certain movie out there...
The Inception of Haruhi Suzumiya?
Old 2011-02-15, 20:35   Link #3123
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

A certain webcomic I follow just put its characters into an Endless Eight situation. I thought this might be relevant.

http://www.goblinscomic.com/02152011/
Old 2011-02-18, 11:58   Link #3124
tetorapetora

Fan-service:
I agree with the camera angles, that is annoying and extremely manipulative, those angles wants you to look at those pictures. But Haruhi anime, in my perspective, does not have heavy fan-service, I actually enjoy this situations that put Kyon in a difficult position, I don't pay attention to the dresses rather than the ambient that they create around them, its a weird group and they succeed in terms of outstanding themselves from the rest.
Now, if you were to say, that they are constantly showing ridiculous big boobs and ridiculous situations in which the female characters are constantly having their skirts lifted thus showing their panties, I would call that heavy fan-service.

About the cosrape, big Asahina said something like: "ahh, she made me put so many dresses, I miss those days" while excited went to look one of the costumes closely, so, she didn't have such a bad time after all?
In my opinion, this is to be taken comically, the fact that Asahina looks to Kyon desperately for help when Haruhi is about to change her into a random costume, and how Kyon feels impotent yet eager to see the outcome, it's a funny situation for me.
The most dangerous situations have already been cleared, like the one drugging Asahina T_t

Ahh, I would love to see The snowy mountain animated too, I enjoyed it a lot because of the pressure and dramatic sadness Koizumi shows, nothing like a "theoretical" spy like talk behind Haruhis back between Koizumi and Kyon.
tetorapetora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 23:54   Link #3125
J the Drafter

^^Of course the cosrape is intended to be humorous. That doesn't mean that I, or other people who watch the show, are amused by it. Personally, I would have enjoyed the show much better without the cosrape running gag. It has given me an idea for a fanfic where Mikuru eventually snaps from the abuse and tries to kill everyone in the S.O.S Brigade, forcing a younger version of Mikuru to step up and defeat her older self, confronting her fears and personal demons along the way.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-20, 14:53   Link #3126
mielipuoli

Considering that the Haruhiverse is powered by stable time loops, that's going to be disgustingly depressing for Mikuru's future. There's no evasion, simply fulfillment.
mielipuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-21, 05:21   Link #3127
J the Drafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mielipuoli View Post
Considering that the Haruhiverse is powered by stable time loops, that's going to be disgustingly depressing for Mikuru's future. There's no evasion, simply fulfillment.
I was thinking of technobabbling the stable time loops out of the way for that plot bunny. One of the themes, after all, is contemplation on the choices that lie in Mikuru's future, and what kind of fate she'll bring on herself if she doesn't face her fear and stand up to Haruhi. There is precedent for a fluid timeline in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Mikuru's organization is concerned that Haruhi will melt the future into an unrecognizable lump if someone isn't sent back to manually keep things on course. Besides, other than the grimdark factor I can't see the attraction in a story where Mikuru witnesses the things she does, but fails to use that knowledge to try making things better. Especially since this story is partially intended to expand her characterization.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

Old 2011-02-21, 11:00   Link #3128
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by J the Drafter View Post
I was thinking of technobabbling the stable time loops out of the way for that plot bunny. One of the themes, after all, is contemplation on the choices that lie in Mikuru's future, and what kind of fate she'll bring on herself if she doesn't face her fear and stand up to Haruhi. There is precedent for a fluid timeline in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Mikuru's organization is concerned that Haruhi will melt the future into an unrecognizable lump if someone isn't sent back to manually keep things on course. Besides, other than the grimdark factor I can't see the attraction in a story where Mikuru witnesses the things she does, but fails to use that knowledge to try making things better. Especially since this story is partially intended to expand her characterization.
Mikuru's problem is the same problem all of the time travelers have. They know what happens if they let the past remain the way it is. They DON'T know what happens if they do anything at all different than what is remembered. And, for a time traveler, that's a scary thought: their existence is built solely on what's now a fragile past. If they change the past in any way, their present might be drastically changed.

Because of that, there's almost no hope at all that Mikuru will ever be anything other than her submissive, obliging self. She has a crippling fear that anything she does wrong will tie up the space-time continuum in all sorts of unsolvable knots, so she'll never take that chance. To do otherwise would be to potentially throw her world away, and I just don't see any way that her character could develop that far in that direction.
Old 2011-02-21, 11:34   Link #3129
J the Drafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Mikuru's problem is the same problem all of the time travelers have. They know what happens if they let the past remain the way it is. They DON'T know what happens if they do anything at all different than what is remembered. And, for a time traveler, that's a scary thought: their existence is built solely on what's now a fragile past. If they change the past in any way, their present might be drastically changed.

Because of that, there's almost no hope at all that Mikuru will ever be anything other than her submissive, obliging self. She has a crippling fear that anything she does wrong will tie up the space-time continuum in all sorts of unsolvable knots, so she'll never take that chance. To do otherwise would be to potentially throw her world away, and I just don't see any way that her character could develop that far in that direction.
Hmph. Good points. Whatever story I tell about Mikuru, I'll keep those words in mind.

Old 2011-02-21, 18:20   Link #3130
Rag

Haruhi: Oblibivious, but lives her fullest
Kyon: Cynical, but occasional awesome
Itsuki: I get this feeling that he really, really, likes Kyon for some reason
Asahina: Why do I get the feeling she is going to be involved in some plot twist?
Yuki: She's yuki, nuff said.
Rag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 03:27   Link #3131
quigonkenny
WRYYYYY!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Couldn't disagree more. We've seen already that she grows out of it, in the person of Asahina(big). She may still be a bit flighty, and is nowhere near the gung-ho alpha Haruhi is, but she's clearly calm, confident, and content with her lot in life; a far cry from her timid, cringing younger version. The only thing that still appears to rattle her is Yuki, and honestly, there's always good reason to be edgy around someone with the power to obliterate your very existence with a thought.

Rather than the idea that the pressures of her mission have turned her into an submissive bundle of nerves, I'd argue that what we see of the direction of her character advancement suggests she was that way even before she was tasked with her mission (maybe that's why she was tasked with it), and she learns over the course of the intervening period that she does actually have the chops to pull it off, turning her into the well-rounded goddess in the OL miniskirt...
Old 2011-02-22, 07:48   Link #3132
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag View Post
Itsuki: I get this feeling that he really, really, likes Kyon for some reason
Haruhi: Likes Kyon
Itsuki: Esper empathy bond with Haruhi.
Itsuki: Strongly emphasizes with Haruhi's attraction to Kyon.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-22, 11:12   Link #3133
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Couldn't disagree more. We've seen already that she grows out of it, in the person of Asahina(big). She may still be a bit flighty, and is nowhere near the gung-ho alpha Haruhi is, but she's clearly calm, confident, and content with her lot in life; a far cry from her timid, cringing younger version. The only thing that still appears to rattle her is Yuki, and honestly, there's always good reason to be edgy around someone with the power to obliterate your very existence with a thought.

Rather than the idea that the pressures of her mission have turned her into an submissive bundle of nerves, I'd argue that what we see of the direction of her character advancement suggests she was that way even before she was tasked with her mission (maybe that's why she was tasked with it), and she learns over the course of the intervening period that she does actually have the chops to pull it off, turning her into the well-rounded goddess in the OL miniskirt...
We never see that side of Adult Mikuru because she never has to show it anymore. She's not put in positions where it's "strip for me or the time-space continuum will implode" (...that we know of <_<) like she had to do with Haruhi. Sure, Mikuru is a little shy and shaky as a kid, and yes, she does grow out of that, but I seriously doubt that she'll do her own thing when it comes to acting against orders or what is remembered. You said that Yuki still rattles her, but it's important to note that Mikuru STILL GOES to see her when the integrity of the timeline is at stake. In other words, she still does the things she doesn't want to do because she's fearful of what will happen if she doesn't.

When I say, "there's almost no hope at all that Mikuru will ever be anything other than her submissive, obliging self," I don't mean that she's going to seek out people who throw her into different costumes for the fun of it. She's not LOOKING for situations to be submissive. I just mean that even adult Mikuru, for as calm and confident as she comes off, would be just as passive and compliant as her younger counterpart if an analogous situation comes up.
Old 2011-02-23, 04:32   Link #3134
ijuinkun

Quote:
Originally Posted by J the Drafter View Post
I was thinking of technobabbling the stable time loops out of the way for that plot bunny.
Well, we know that Haruhi is the wild card in all of this. All that is necessary to make the "bad future" a non-Fixed Event is for Haruhi to strongly want it to not happen (or for her to have an articulate vision of a specific future that is incompatible with it). The trick, from a storytelling perspective, is to get Haruhi to do this without her consciously becoming aware of the time travel going on--unless you WANT her to become aware of it in the story, that is.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-25, 19:25   Link #3135
J the Drafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuinkun View Post
Well, we know that Haruhi is the wild card in all of this. All that is necessary to make the "bad future" a non-Fixed Event is for Haruhi to strongly want it to not happen (or for her to have an articulate vision of a specific future that is incompatible with it). The trick, from a storytelling perspective, is to get Haruhi to do this without her consciously becoming aware of the time travel going on--unless you WANT her to become aware of it in the story, that is.
I was thinking that the future vengeful!Mikuru comes from would be a timeplane in direct, irreconcilable opposition to the "true" timeline that gave birth to the time travellers. The genuine Mikuru destroys the bad future by snuffing out any possibility that she'll walk the path of her counterpart. (I was planning on her doing this near the end of the story, after dark!Mikuru is defeated in combat. The story doesn't necessarily have to go that way, though.) Since the real Mikuru has ensured that the shadow Mikuru won't exist, the true timeline is free to unfold. Since this story will be no fun if there's no suspense involved in the outcome, dark!Mikuru can obtain victory by killing Haruhi, which will cause the space-time continuum to disentegrate, which will deny Mikuru the chance to unmake things.

Old 2011-02-26, 01:12   Link #3136
ijuinkun

So basically we are looking at a "branching tree" time structure, where multiple potential futures can coexist relative to a given "present time" up until events eliminate other potential futures thus "pruning" them? In other words, both Mikuru's "normal" future and "dark" future can coexist until after an event that makes one of them impossible.
ijuinkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 05:53   Link #3137
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes Send a message via Skype™ to dragon4dudes
Well, technically, a branching tree time structure would end up with an infinite amount of endings with infinite normals and darks. Though if we look at the multiworlds theory, then all of the futures will exist. /tangent

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-26, 16:17   Link #3138
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Haruhi: Likes Kyon
Itsuki: Esper empathy bond with Haruhi.
Itsuki: Strongly emphasizes with Haruhi's attraction to Kyon.
That finally explains why Itsuki has a strong passion towards Kyon, thanks Roger Rambo
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 17:06   Link #3139
mielipuoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
Well, technically, a branching tree time structure would end up with an infinite amount of endings with infinite normals and darks. Though if we look at the multiworlds theory, then all of the futures will exist. /tangent
Solution: there's only two timelines, because Haruhi watched...oh, Back to the Future, and decided that something like that would be cool. Everything works off of that; you avoid the infinite-worlds or the collapsing-universe theories, you stick with established canon powers, and while it's a deus ex machina maybe that could even be part of the story. Work it into Haruhi's head that "that was just Mikuru's aunt, there is no alternate timeline, but we'll keep playing scooby doo games" and go from there.
mielipuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-27, 18:49   Link #3140
RandySyler
Onee-Chan Power~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
That finally explains why Itsuki has a strong passion towards Kyon, thanks Roger Rambo
But wouldn't that just make Itsuki aware of Haruhi's connection with Kyon, and not make him synchronize with it?

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, kyoto animation, school life, science fiction, shounen