AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-04-29, 06:39   Link #3161
wistfulloner
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Singapore
I would like to know, how would you define a "Legendary" anime? I'm guessing it means its popularity, since people have to watch a series to call one legendary and, well, you don't get to become popular without viewer-ship right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
Well, when you make it that specific, obviously no one can, just like no one can make a mecha show where the mechas are actually humanoids powered by the pilots' mothers' souls and instrumental in a plan to merge all of the souls of humanity without Gainax throwing a fit.
I get your point, but perhaps like what Triple R mentioned, imitation can be in the form of its characters and their appeal to viewers, not just when there's a wholesale copy of storyline. I think copying the character concept (Nagato, Haruhi) should qualify as an imitation.
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 11:23   Link #3162
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
One thing sort of bugs me, why is Haruhi is still considered God despite Itsuki only alluding to this notion?
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 11:58   Link #3163
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Because it is fun.

And she does have the power to change the universe. Including possibly breaking time-space.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 17:33   Link #3164
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
One thing sort of bugs me, why is Haruhi is still considered God despite Itsuki only alluding to this notion?
Because she can create data and influence time, and that's pretty godly. Also, it's simply easier than calling her a time warp or the potential for evolution.
__________________
Gamer_2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-30, 23:53   Link #3165
quigonkenny
Omae wa mou binbou iru...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: On the Osaka raid...
Age: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
One thing sort of bugs me, why is Haruhi is still considered God despite Itsuki only alluding to this notion?
If it walks like a god, and talks like a god, and influences the very fabric of reality like a god...
__________________
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 00:14   Link #3166
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: \(_o)/


All according to keikaku.
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 00:23   Link #3167
AmyElizzabeth
Moo
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Iowa
Age: 18
Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
One thing sort of bugs me, why is Haruhi is still considered God despite Itsuki only alluding to this notion?
Because it gives us hope...no
It's because if she can alter reality and the world by just wishing for it, doesn't that make her have god-like powers? Or to be God, or a God? And I think it's more convient/cooler to call her god than what Mikuru and Yuki said.
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 00:42   Link #3168
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36


All hail the God Empress. May she not smite us this day.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 01:08   Link #3169
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
I guess I can understand that but if Haruhi is God then who or what exactly is Haruhi?


I know Haruhi is Haruhi but still I just cannot help but wonder how "God" came to be in the stories universe?
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 02:30   Link #3170
Tensei
Epitome of Divinity
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: In my quiet room playing visual novels.
Age: 22
Because Haruhi thought it would be more interesting for god to be part of the story so she made Tanigawa write the story that way when she came to him in a New Years dream as the year turned 2000. Haruhi is our god, and Tanigawa is her prophet
Tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 05:53   Link #3171
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
I guess I can understand that but if Haruhi is God then who or what exactly is Haruhi?


I know Haruhi is Haruhi but still I just cannot help but wonder how "God" came to be in the stories universe?
It's like asking if Light is a particle or a wave. Light is light. Haruhi is Haruhi.

Since Haruhi is unique, there is no point talking about "what" she is. There is only one example of her, so she can't be put in any category.

In general, calling someone or something a "God" is a vague term. In fact, Yuki Nagato and her creators are already powerful enough to be consider gods by most Earth definitions. There is a reason Adult Mikuru actually prayed to Nagato when she asked Yuki for a favour.

Haruhi has powers that surpass Yuki, which makes her greater than normal gods and as such is a sort of deity herself. But Haruhi doesn't fit any existing definition of a religious god as she isn't self-aware. All that matters is that she is the most powerful force in the universe, and people are free to call her whatever they like.

It's like trying to describe the colour red. What can you say about the colour that makes any sense as a description? Red is red, I can't describe to a blind man what red is.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 11:28   Link #3172
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
^ You got me there, she is who she is.
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-01, 12:11   Link #3173
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
There is a reason Adult Mikuru actually prayed to Nagato when she asked Yuki for a favour.
When was this?
__________________
Gamer_2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 07:15   Link #3174
brocko
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: \(_o)/
^ If it's after Disappearance, i don't want it answered. Atleast not here anyway lol >.<
__________________

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 22:18   Link #3175
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: florida
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer_2k4 View Post
When was this?
I think that WAS in Disappearance. Or, at least, that's the only time I recall Mikuru!Big interacting with Nagato in that kind of way.
keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 22:23   Link #3176
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
Great Goddess Nagato I believe was the term.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 22:40   Link #3177
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Great Goddess Nagato I believe was the term.
I thought that was just what Kyon called her.
__________________
Gamer_2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 23:12   Link #3178
Ithekro
Space Battleship
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 36
All hail, Great Goddess Nagato.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 23:20   Link #3179
Kogetsu Shirogane
Elemental Tarot User
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sefiro Fiore
Age: 29
Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
Actually I'm pretty sure it was someone else who started the "Great Goddess" thing. I should know, I stole it from him.
__________________
Ryuko Matoi, Kill la Kill
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... well... at least it's written the same...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-03, 12:55   Link #3180
Leo Keichi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gaijinland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Haruhi has powers that surpass Yuki
Spoiler for Disappearance:
Leo Keichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, kyoto animation, school life, science fiction, shounen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.