AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-04-27, 12:29   Link #821
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime
In the cases where I have both seen the movie and read the book that it was based on, no matter how great I thought the movie was, it was never as good as the book. There just isn't room in a movie for everything that is in a book.
So does that mean you are saying the movie is BAD?

No, I presume?

So why is it that people criticize a movie by comparing it to a book?
Does that tell people anything concerning the quality of the movie?

Is it even remotely informative?

In fact, is it even truly criticism?

I can just as easily decide from your statement, that you like reading a book over watching a movie.
Old 2006-04-27, 12:48   Link #822
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastPrime
In the cases where I have both seen the movie and read the book that it was based on, no matter how great I thought the movie was, it was never as good as the book. There just isn't room in a movie for everything that is in a book.
Wait... you're kidding right? You seriously have NEVER read a book where the movie adaption wasn't better? Someone needs to see more movies... seriously.

Let's see. Do Androids dream of electric sheep was a pretty meh'ish book, that turned into a really solid movie (Bladerunner, anyone?). Of course they took a pretty big departure from the source material, but it's a movie based on a book.

The Princess Bride. While it's debatable as to whether or not the book is actually better... I prefer to sit down and watch the movie. That's... sorta a questionable mention... The book came out on Sep 12, 87. And both the screenplay and novel were written by the same person. The movie was released on September 25, 87. So that's not a fair example... we'll have to strike that off the list T_T

Steven King's Shawshank Redemption had pretty equal content... Movie vs. book. The book had better content, but the movie was pretty damn powerful. Stand by me, same author. Technically those two were short stories, not full novels.

And that's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there have been hundreds of book > movie adaptions, and some of the movies ended up being better than the novels.

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-04-27 at 13:03.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 12:51   Link #823
Adigard

whoops >_>;;

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-04-27 at 13:04.
Old 2006-04-27, 12:52   Link #824
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
er...double post.

Old 2006-04-27, 12:59   Link #825
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Oh noes!

For the Great Haruhi's sake, we must not go off topic any further!

Can a wise one please tell me what is 'tsundere', im ashamed that ive been discussing anime on some other forums for some years but its the first time I've come upon this term.

We should continue on the discussion on what kind of character haruhi is.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 13:06   Link #826
Adigard

Wiki says the following

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsundere

Tsundere (ツンデレ, Tsundere?) is a Japanese term for a personality that is initially combative, and then loving. Tsundere is a combination of the two words tsuntsun (ツンツン, tsuntsun?), and deredere (デレデレ, deredere?). Tsuntsun is defined as "aloof, morose, pointed", and deredere is defined as "exhausted, lovestruck, logy".
Old 2006-04-27, 13:13   Link #827
Kyousuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
I consider "over-rated" a complement rather than a complaint.

If you actually have something to complain about concerning the anime, you would have said so already.
Bad plot? Bad animation? Horrible voice acting? Flawed character design? Boring music? There are a million things you can complain about. But in the end, is "over-rated" the best you can come up with as a complaint?

An over-rated show may be brilliant or ordinary, but never bad. So are you praising the show or trying to insult it groundlessly?

I can pick ANY popular entertainment, and tag "over-rated" next to it.
e.g.
"Lord of the Rings Trilogy was over-rated"
"Romeo and Juliet was over-rated"
"The Sandman graphic novels were over-rated"

The only requirement for me to tag "over-rated", is if the entertainment media is popular to some degree.

On the other hand,
"Matrix 3 was over-rated"
or
"Streetfighter the Move, live action, was over-rated"

...doesn't make any sense, because the movies were considered garbage by most.

So what are you trying to say, when you claim Harhi is over-rated? That you don't like it because too many other people like it? Is that even an opinion? Think about it.
I just thought Haruhi was pointless, although it is funny.
Old 2006-04-27, 13:14   Link #828
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Thanks, I agree that haruhi could be a tsundere character

Kyon is lucky to have a goddess falling for him
Old 2006-04-27, 13:14   Link #829
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyousuke
I just thought Haruhi was pointless
Understatment of the year. EVER

Old 2006-04-27, 13:19   Link #830
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
Understatment of the year. EVER

Agreed,

Haruhi is such a deep and clever story, it requires brains to know what the show is talking about. Its the story's depth that attracts people, its not a simple comedy. If you only view it as a show for laughs, then you're missing alot.
Old 2006-04-27, 13:26   Link #831
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
Thanks, I agree that haruhi could be a tsundere character

Kyon is lucky to have a goddess falling for him

Truth of the year.
Old 2006-04-27, 13:32   Link #832
Kyousuke

Excuse me.
Old 2006-04-27, 14:01   Link #833
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

For me, Haruhi lacks too much of the 'second' side to her personality to be a tsundere character. I see Haruhi more as a very, VERY warped genki girl. Let's get some definitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.sequentialtart.com/ao_glossary.shtml
genki lit. healthy: adjective that reflects health, vitality, energy. A bouncy cheerful female character is often refered to as genki.
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.derik.org/Gateway/glossary1.htm
Genki Spunky, cheerful, energetic, lively, healthy, full-of-life. This word is almost always used for those bright, open, bounce-off-the-walls girls who are so often the main characters of our beloved shoujo stories. ^^ Prounounced "Gheh-n-key"
Sounds very much like Haruhi, doesn't it? In fact, Haruhi seems to follow the above defintions, word for word.

But for those people who are familiar with Genki, Haruhi at first glance does not look like a genki girl. Why is that? Because vast majority of genki girls we know (99.9%?) are goody two shoes who put others before themselves. Most recent example that comes to mind is Arika Yumemiya from Mai Otome, for those who aren't yet familiar with the term. Haruhi on the other hand is only concerened about one person: herself.

Think about it. If Arika Yumemiya was entirely unchanged for all except her selflessness, I don't think she'll end up too much different from Haruhi Suzumiya.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 14:37   Link #834
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3
For me, Haruhi lacks too much of the 'second' side to her personality to be a tsundere character.
Agreed. We've only had a single scene with Haruhi being dere... And even that's open to debate (IMO she isn't dere) so applying the tsundere archetype to Haruhi is a really slippery slope. If I had seen Starship Girl Yamamoto Yohko anytime this decade I could probably tie her archetype closer to Yohko from that show... I could easily be mistaken (Pretty sure Yohko is genki).

Quote:
adjective that reflects health, vitality, energy. A bouncy cheerful female character is often refered to as genki.... Spunky, cheerful, energetic, lively, healthy, full-of-life. This word is almost always used for those bright, open, bounce-off-the-walls girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3
But for those people who are familiar with Genki, Haruhi at first glance does not look like a genki girl. Why is that? Because vast majority of genki girls we know (99.9%?) are goody two shoes who put others before themselves. Most recent example that comes to mind is Arika Yumemiya from Mai Otome, for those who aren't yet familiar with the term. Haruhi on the other hand is only concerened about one person: herself.
I think the only time you find goody two-shoes genki girls are when they're the main character ^^. Typically the genki descriptor gets tagged on energetic, lively, outgoing sporty type girls who are better at athletics than school work. Personally I'd say a better descriptor of genki is not someone who's a goody two-shoes... but someone who's not quite as bright ^^;; (which for the record, still fits Haruhi nicely... except she's good at everything she tries, but still isn't very bright).

The first few volumes of the novel are called the The Melancholy of... The Sighs of... The Boredom of... Not precisely words you'd expect to tie to a genki girl ^^ If we ignore Haruhi when she's in a bad mood, she fits the Genki archetype very nicely. Also, the show has a genki girl (Tsuruya-san seems to fit the role better IMO). Unfortunately Haruhi in a bad mood is very much not "Spunky, cheerful, energetic, lively, healthy, or full-of-life".

She doesn't bounce back from her problems with a renewed vigor to try harder... She... err... seems to go a different route T_T Maybe we need a Tsun-genki sorta tag?

//EDIT: Kyon no imouto (poor girl doesn't even get a name!) is more of a genki character than Haruhi ^^;;

Last edited by Adigard; 2006-04-27 at 14:48.
Old 2006-04-27, 14:41   Link #835
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Hmmm haruhi isn't very genki, shes only enthusiastic at times, most other times she gets irritated or bored. It's true that when shes interested in something, she becomes overly enthusiastic and genki

But yea tsuruya is way too genki lol, shes a laughing machine.
Old 2006-04-27, 15:15   Link #836
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

you know when haruhi is excited when she tried to kill you with her desk, and spits in your face
Old 2006-04-27, 15:48   Link #837
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
you know when haruhi is excited when she tried to kill you with her desk, and spits in your face
lol your sig and avatar is a good example of when shes genki, its one of my favourite expressions from her.

yea the scene was really fun, reading that she spat on kyon's face, made me laugh out while reading the translated novels. i never laughed as much reading passages before.

the novel and show has so many little details that are so brilliantly used and positioned, another great point about suzumiya haruhi.
Old 2006-04-27, 16:22   Link #838
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A.
lol your sig and avatar is a good example of when shes genki, its one of my favourite expressions from her.

yea the scene was really fun, reading that she spat on kyon's face, made me laugh out while reading the translated novels. i never laughed as much reading passages before.

the novel and show has so many little details that are so brilliantly used and positioned, another great point about suzumiya haruhi.

oh, didn't you notice Haruhi spat in Kyon face in the Anime?

You see him wipe his face, you would miss it if you weren't looking for it.

Kyoani really knows the meaning of detail.
Old 2006-04-27, 17:44   Link #839
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

So right now she's sort of genki when she's caught on to something that interests her, and tsuntsun when she's bored. Is tsuntsun by itself a classification?

I vote, Haruhi's smile (beam) when she brought the baseball form to the clubroom as best smile of 2006. <3

Nihaha~
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-27, 23:57   Link #840
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

I have never in my life seen SO MANY members on one site with the same character in their avy's and sigs...This little girl must realy be one truley special anime character to get this type of love...Every where I turn in every forum there she is, sheeesh, it like she's mocking me...I'm not sure this show has piqued my interest, but I think I might have to give this series a try just to see what so special about that character...

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, kyoto animation, school life, science fiction, shounen