AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-08-05, 16:39   Link #1441
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Sounds like Kadokawa is making sure it'll be treated properly by North American companies
Or they just to see how much blood (money) they can squeeze from the stone (American Entertainment Corporations)
Old 2006-08-06, 00:24   Link #1442
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Its good to have the series licensed, but there's dozens of reasons why it shouldn't be dubbed. Besides characters sounding totally different from their original characters, I cannot imagine what they would/could do with 'Koi no Mikuru Densetsu', 'God Knows...' and 'Lost My Music'.

I don't even know if there will be a good amount of audience who would watch past episode 1.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/

Last edited by C.A.; 2006-08-06 at 01:05.
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 00:26   Link #1443
LCeh

Not only that, it's hard to imagine the American VAs being able to do as good a job as the original ones did, and with such a dialogue driven series, surely a lot of the depth to the characters will be lost.
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 00:31   Link #1444
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Even if Disney and Pixar were to provide VAs for Haruhi, it still won't work, this show just doesn't feel right westernised.

Old 2006-08-06, 00:37   Link #1445
LCeh

I guess we will see what comes out of this mess. How come there isn't a thread made about the licensing like School Rumble and Utawarerumono did?
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 01:15   Link #1446
Satsume
Baka Ranger Tao

American voice actors rarely get me going as much as the original Japanese ones do. I have my favorites though. Veronica Taylor, Luci Christian, Chris Patton, Vic Mignogna.. I don't hate dubs at all. I actually look forward to seeing how this turns out!

Is any word about SHnY's licensing even out? I think I read somewhere that it will be released some time next year..
Satsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 01:17   Link #1447
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCeh
I guess we will see what comes out of this mess. How come there isn't a thread made about the licensing like School Rumble and Utawarerumono did?
Fans are too traumatised.
Old 2006-08-06, 01:26   Link #1448
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

People are able to watch films like Red October, Das Boot, hell... Hidden Tiger.... with the cultural references left alone.

*why* should an anime be "westernized"? (look, all those crazy japanese ever eat is "biscuits" ala Pokemon) when dubbed into English? I think people can deal with the ideas that other countries have different holidays and stuff.... sheesh. (I rarely listen to the mangling that bad script writers and bad voice actors do in english dubs anyway outside of giving it a chance once -- I have found a few I tolerate ... ).

More legitimate is the concern about the singing in the show. Usually they'll leave the OP/ED alone but what about Haruhi's vocal performance in the festival?
Eh, just another reason to leave the settings on JP+subtitles.

Yay for licensing bids ... root for Geneon.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 01:28   Link #1449
Satsume
Baka Ranger Tao

Forgot about the festival episode.. the only possible choice I see fit is that they find a voice actress for Haruhi who sounds like an American Aya Hirano to play her, and then leave the song performance in Japanese. Translating the song to English and singing it that way seems like a bad idea..
Satsume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 01:40   Link #1450
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane
Fans are too traumatised.
Really. I think Utawarerumono's made everyone paranoid now.

I could see them possibly changing Koi no Mikuru Densetsu, but that's probably it. If they try messing with the festival songs it's going to sound awful, and I doubt any dub watchers would complain about a few songs being left in Japanese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satsume
Is any word about SHnY's licensing even out? I think I read somewhere that it will be released some time next year.
See SpaceDrake's 'UPDATE FROM OTAKON' reply on page 72
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 01:49   Link #1451
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

I was going to say. People need to "reed teh poasts", Haruhi is still being fought over by the various State-side distributors, and from the way nothing Haruhi has been liscensed yet (not even the novels or manga) I suspect it's currently blood-in-the-water over there. I would not be surprised if Haruhi ends up on television, even. The Kadokawa guy was clear that Haruhi is the hottest property up for grabs at the moment.
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 02:07   Link #1452
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDrake
I was going to say. People need to "reed teh poasts", Haruhi is still being fought over by the various State-side distributors, and from the way nothing Haruhi has been liscensed yet (not even the novels or manga) I suspect it's currently blood-in-the-water over there. I would not be surprised if Haruhi ends up on television, even. The Kadokawa guy was clear that Haruhi is the hottest property up for grabs at the moment.
With an install base so huge who will pay through the nose for ANY Haruhi related product be it, Haruhi the Towel, Haruhi the Toilet Paper or Haruhi The Flameflower, I can see the bidding war taking company budgets to the limit to secure the license. Then we can have Haruhi the T-Shirt and Haruhi the Vibrator on top of Haruhi the Anime, Haruhi The Novel and Haruhi the Action Figure for only $9999.99. Whoever gets the license will have a merchandise line for this if they've done there research on the franchises uber-devoted community and have any brains.

I'm actually cracking myself up right now as I type this, god I need some sleep.

You know what though guys don't worry about the dub, I own several anime DVD's and never listen to the dub so if you're at all worried, just keep the Japanese Audio on as your going to be disappointed with a paranoid mindset. Otherwise give the American cast a chance, the Japanese cast did a good job but there's no need to deify them as has become common in the community. I've seen each of them in other roles where they kind of fell flat for me personally so they aren't infallible, likewise who's to say the American cast has absolutely no chance of pulling it off. Yuki should be an easy sell as they just need someone to monotone the lines, Haruhi they need someone with high energy and a powerful voice, Mikuru they need someone who can do high pitched and Kyon they can stick just about anybody in there.

Okay though here's the million dollar question, how much would the folks here be willing to pay for a Haruhi DVD with 3 episodes. For me I would pay, $25 Including tax tops if I were to actually buy the DVD's which I won't because its not something I feel like spending my hard earned cash on. The novels on the other hand...

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2006-08-06 at 02:20.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 02:10   Link #1453
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

I'm more concerned about the audience and for the audience.

Who's the target audience? What's the age group of the main bulk of audience? Kids who want to watch cartoons? Haruhi definitely isn't for kids, it just loses all purpose if kids were to watch the show.

And also, I'm not sure if people noticed, most American anime fans who watched the Haruhi subs, found the story itself to be pointless and silly. They can't see anything past an alien, time traveller and esper existing in reality, they can't see past the baseball game, the mystery search and a trip to a lone island. They just take these events as random events that this pointless club has taken part in.

Then there's another group who just thinks that the show's science fiction is just randomly added to make the story more random.

And if dubs were not good, it further kills the show for the audience.

Old 2006-08-06, 02:13   Link #1454
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah... some of the fluff that gets "branded" is just hysterical.... and thats in America where somehow McDonalds ties itself into a Pirate movie.

The japanese sell some amazing crap with branding .... the Hello Kitty Network Router is still on my top 10 list. However, so far the american distributors for anime products haven't had a clue on merchandising.

@CA: anyone who has a fscking clue about literary science fiction should be able to grasp the show. One would think that might include a large number of high school and college students whom I would assume is the primary audience.
Was it really "most" anime fans? Or just the "can't find a clue if it pokes them in a eye" crowd that have to have everything spoonfed to them? I would hazard a guess the ones with clues are also the ones more likely to have money to part with?

I have no hope for the dubs.... even the best dubs I've ever come across were fairly mediocre - both in translation scripting and in voice acting (flat, lifeless or melodramatic). I just hope for a good video burn and excellent soundtrack on the jp+subtitle tracks.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 02:33   Link #1455
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Too bad it just happens that there are very few people who actually watched the show for its science fiction and even lesser who cared about the science fiction.

It seems that people were looking for a comedy when they watched this show and the science fiction turns them off.

Old 2006-08-06, 02:35   Link #1456
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
yeah... some of the fluff that gets "branded" is just hysterical.... and thats in America where somehow McDonalds ties itself into a Pirate movie.

The japanese sell some amazing crap with branding .... the Hello Kitty Network Router is still on my top 10 list. However, so far the american distributors for anime products haven't had a clue on merchandising.

@CA: anyone who has a fscking clue about literary science fiction should be able to grasp the show. One would think that might include a large number of high school and college students whom I would assume is the primary audience.
Was it really "most" anime fans? Or just the "can't find a clue if it pokes them in a eye" crowd that have to have everything spoonfed to them? I would hazard a guess the ones with clues are also the ones more likely to have money to part with?

I have no hope for the dubs.... even the best dubs I've ever come across were fairly mediocre - both in translation scripting and in voice acting (flat, lifeless or melodramatic). I just hope for a good video burn and excellent soundtrack on the jp+subtitle tracks.
What I'm really getting at is that some of the Haruhi fans are so into the franchise that they'd by anything that had the Haruhi brand to it, particuarly moreso than for many other anime franchises in recent years, I don't know why but it seems to be so. Some of the websites out there for the series that I've seen are just scary and make C.A's dream that he was in the S.O.S club room seem tame. (I wish I had weird dreams like that, I used to but now all I have now are nightmares that its the end of term and I haven't done any assignments in University yet). I mean we're talking people who live out the show in there daily lives such as the one guy who said he wanted to move the the district in Japan where the show took place, or the one guy who believes that in heaven Haruhi will be there to greet him and that he should behave as Haruhi does in real life in order to get in to Haruheaven or whatever (or to get arrested more likely).

Oh and on the topic of McDonald's, they have had a deal with Disney for a long time to cross-promote their movies in the form of Happy Meal toys.

Oh and personally to me the show went more for comedic effect and the novels more for philosophy. That's why the show kind of blows to me personally as it was too much fluff. If Kinny Riddle hadn't translated the novels so I could see what the series was really all about I'd probably still be here arguing with people like I was 3 months ago. Also all things considered a lot of people seem to like the comedy fluff and fan service (in the true sense of the word) aspects of the show the most, which really makes me sad and disappointed, that's where many of my outbursts stem from. It's like, you like the irrelevant stuff but the philosophy and true nature of the character's flies right over your head becaue your too distracted by the wacky antics of the show. BOOO, Forshame!

My personal manifesto and I've kept this to myself for a while is that many modern-anime fans will enjoy a show as long as it delivers that one thing they are looking forward too (its different for everybody). Quality can be rock bottom all around (This is for any show in general) but they will still be satisfied if say ummmm. Mikuru gets groped by Haruhi for example. Now the companies will see they can get away with more and more lackluster scripts (I noticed a drop in quality of script writing for this show somewhere in 3rd quarter of the series that didn't really pick up at all as many important plot aspects from the novel were grazed over or omitted near the end) as long as they deliver the fanservice (True sense, not T&A. This is exactly what happened with Gundam Seed Destiny which was good for the first quarter and fell apart more and more as it when on from there on out, and I can guarantee its because the company found out they could garner fan support and ratings regardless of quality by delivering that fanservice in lieu of plot and overall quality and only when it was too late. So what I'm saying is, DO NOT settle for anything less than good quality, question the flaws in even the series you love, talk about and discuss instead of overlooking the flaws and showing mindless devotion and total support and praise, because I guarantee the companies in charge of production watch the fanbase closely and if they can get away with diminished quality for a Haruhi Season II by delivering that fan service that will satisify the masses 100 percent, they will. This is why its hard for me too support the modern anime community as I honestly feel and its nobody here specifically, that the modern-anime fanbase's willingness to settle for that fanservice has lead to a gradual drop in quality of modern anime over the years, and its a sad thing to fell this way but I do. I hope people will read this paragraph I've wrote and I hope at least half who have read it will agree or somewhat agree with the things I've said and at least consider them.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2006-08-06 at 02:55.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 02:43   Link #1457
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

lol fanatism can go in different directions, self destruction at the end or enlightenment, I'm neither though, because I'm not looking at the end of my fanatism

The most extreme outcomes I've thought of, is either getting myself into Kyoani and take part in the possible future Haruhi seasons, or I would just read the Haruhi novels over and over until the day I die.

One other thing, a disadvantage that the West suffers from, is that they do not have novels. Without the novels to relate to during or after the show, they would lose out in quite alot of the story.

Old 2006-08-06, 02:48   Link #1458
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama
I'm actually cracking myself up right now as I type this, god I need some sleep.
Yeah. Bed for you.

Seriously though, while I know most people here don't like dubs and have no hope for it, that's not really anything to worry about. The dub watchers are clearly dub watchers for a reason, and they're going to be judging it on their own standards, not ours. So as long as the dubs are enough for those people, it's fine for them, and if the subs are accurate and well written with good audio quality, it's fine for us. No problems.

As for the audience, if people don't like it or don't appreciate it or whatever, oh well? Even if people do take it as a comedy, which I think many people here did initially, it holds itself up well enough. If people want the science fiction elements, they've got those too. I don't see why that's a problem, it's not like every buyer should be lectured on 'the deeper meanings of the show'.

As for how much I'd pay, well, I'm currently buying the Japanese R2s which are $30 for the first episode, $30 for the last episode, and $50 for each 2 episodes in between. Answer your question?

Quote:
One other thing, a disadvantage that the West suffers from, is that they do not have novels. Without the novels to relate to during or after the show, they would lose out in quite alot of the story.
Not really. I've never read any of the novels at all and still loved the series from start to end. Anyway, seen as those are in negotiations too...
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-06, 02:49   Link #1459
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

You can love the show but still lose out with the story lol

Thats why its only a disadvantage, I'm not saying that without the novels the show would be doomed for audience.

Old 2006-08-06, 02:50   Link #1460
SpaceDrake
This Is Part Of The Plan

I should point out that the Kadokawa rep at Otakon was specifically asked about the novels and he said that multiple companies had put down offers to liscense and translate them for U.S. release.
SpaceDrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, kyoto animation, school life, science fiction, shounen