AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Kashimashi

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-01-26, 06:55   Link #321
Kurogane_Shiroikaze
Mikuru Moe Overload
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Malaysia
Send a message via MSN to Kurogane_Shiroikaze
Generally speaking, I don't think they'll ever delve into that topic. Maybe the manga might later on, but I don't really think the anime will cover it. Female biological cycles are still quite a big taboo over there in Japan, plus the focus of Kashimashi is still ultimately on the relationships between Hazumu, Tomari and Yasuna.

Even if they were to put some focus onto it, it would probably be used as a humour point or plot device maybe. Don't forget, the whole Hazumu changing into a girl is as big as a plot device you can get .
__________________
Kurogane_Shiroikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 08:51   Link #322
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
I just got done watching the second episode, thinking I could get more into it, but...
Spoiler:

Don't any of you guys think that's a bit unusual? And...
Spoiler:
__________________
Thewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 08:54   Link #323
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
I just got done watching the second episode, thinking I could get more into it, but...
Spoiler:

Don't any of you guys think that's a bit unusual? And...
Spoiler:
Thats called exaggeration my friend, exaggeration for the sake of entertainment.
__________________
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 08:54   Link #324
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Considering the fact that
Spoiler for episode 3:
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 09:05   Link #325
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Thats called exaggeration my friend, exaggeration for the sake of entertainment.
Well it's not very intertaining. In fact, I find it pretty insulting, even on a personal level.
__________________
Thewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 10:53   Link #326
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
Well it's not very intertaining. In fact, I find it pretty insulting, even on a personal level.
Well, if you say it that way....no idea how to respond.

And perverted males are common sterotypes, is that why you're upset?
__________________

Last edited by Eclipze; 2006-01-26 at 11:06.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 11:42   Link #327
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze
Well, if you say it that way....no idea how to respond.

And perverted males are common sterotypes, is that why you're upset?
Kinda, yeah. It almost makes me ashamed of even being a guy.

Of course in a show that promotes lesbianism and with a character that can't see men's faces, I guess males wouldn't have the best image...
__________________
Thewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 13:21   Link #328
JediNight
キズランダム
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
green2: It could be that Hazumu is still kinda in denial or shock over what happened. Also as was mentioned, Hazumu didn't make much of a man to begin with... Another thing is just that the series delves into some dramatic moments at times, but overall it's rather light-hearted and humorous on a whole. I just don't think the manga-ka cares to get heavily into depressing moments with the characters, especially when the series is most likely only 13eps.

Thewanderer: Yeah they do exaggerate the situations quite a bit in some cases for added "comedic effect" that I thought was kinda silly as well, but what're you gonna do I guess. I mean I think most of us if put in that situation would have a lot more common sense about things than Hazumu is showing. Getting help with the bra fitting, obviously ... drinking the soda and the walking up the stairs would probably get me as well, but other stuff like spreading your legs wide open and drafting yourself with your skirt is a little much lol...

EDIT: One other thing, as for Jan-puu .... the manga-ka made a comment at the end of volume 1 that said he originally drew Jan-puu more like a middle-schooler, but by the end of the volume she had evolved more into a high-school age. So they obviously went to keep Jan-puu how she is after the evolution. Not that she doesn't still ACT like a middle-schooler ^_^;;

Last edited by JediNight; 2006-01-26 at 13:54.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 13:42   Link #329
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
Kinda, yeah. It almost makes me ashamed of even being a guy.

Of course in a show that promotes lesbianism and with a character that can't see men's faces, I guess males wouldn't have the best image...
In this male oriented manga/anime its not required for males to have a better image.

For a better image go read shoujo manga, or even better, go read shoujo or josei manga that has shounen-ai relationships in them. maybe you'll find males image much better there.

Maybe after looking at those manga you'll come back here and say: "thank you MediaWorks for publishing this manga".
__________________
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 14:09   Link #330
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
In this male oriented manga/anime its not required for males to have a better image.

For a better image go read shoujo manga, or even better, go read shoujo or josei manga that has shounen-ai relationships in them. maybe you'll find males image much better there.
Not required for males to have a better image? I don't care about them having a better image, I at least want them to have a DECENT image. Damn, this "all men R perverts" generalization degrades men into nothing but sex-crazed animals...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Maybe after looking at those manga you'll come back here and say: "thank you MediaWorks for publishing this manga".
Nani?!?
__________________
Thewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 14:22   Link #331
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
Not required for males to have a better image? I don't care about them having a better image, I at least want them to have a DECENT image. Damn, this "all men R perverts" generalization degrades men into nothing but sex-crazed animals...
Entertainment

You are taking this manga/anime too seriously >.<

If it bothers you so much, don't watch the anime or read the manga, thats always an option.

Anyway, you can always find a manga that will better suit your taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
Nani?!?
What?!?
__________________
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 14:49   Link #332
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Entertainment

You are taking this manga/anime too seriously >.<

If it bothers you so much, don't watch the anime or read the manga, thats always an option.

Anyway, you can always find a manga that will better suit your taste.
I was gonna!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
What?!?
Exactly
__________________
Thewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 15:02   Link #333
DaFool
Resident devil
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Philippines
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewanderer
Kinda, yeah. It almost makes me ashamed of even being a guy.

Of course in a show that promotes lesbianism and with a character that can't see men's faces, I guess males wouldn't have the best image...
And I'd thought you were pretty masculinist in the "View on Feminism" thread.

As DaFool would say...

prepare your box of tissues and enjoy!

This is an extremely positive portrayal of lesbianism, making it appealing to guys. If only they would know that its real-life lesbians who are the true male-hating 'femi-nazi' (my own personal conclusion after reading dozens of articles).
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 16:34   Link #334
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
And I'd thought you were pretty masculinist in the "View on Feminism" thread.
Not in particular, no...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
This is an extremely positive portrayal of lesbianism, making it appealing to guys. If only they would know that its real-life lesbians who are the true male-hating 'femi-nazi' (my own personal conclusion after reading dozens of articles).
Very true, though they still don't seem to treat them very equally, IMO.
__________________
Thewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 18:10   Link #335
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
.... If only they would know that its real-life lesbians who are the true male-hating 'femi-nazi' (my own personal conclusion after reading dozens of articles).
This is definitely not my conclusion, after working with several lesbians for some years. They were mostly gentle souls who felt awkward around men, or strong women who could hold their own in a man's world without being any more aggressive than the men around them. As far as I'm concerned, the "femi-nazi" thing is a bad rap. Sure, you can find women who hate men; you can also find lots of men who despise women. It's even.

I do agree, however, that Kashimashi is a very sympathetic view of girl-girl love. Whether this show resembles any real lesbian relationship, however, is unclear to me. It is definitely aimed at men (those animals!) and it appears to be quite a turn-on for us.

I guess I'll comment on Thewanderer's point. It is extremely common for men to be portrayed as sex-crazed in anime. Nosebleeds abound. Often, only the protagonist is more "decent," and in this show the protagonist has been turned into a girl. I think a lot of men are sex-crazed, and we just control ourselves in the interests of sanity and social harmony. That's called being civilized. Laughing at this obsession in an anime is a way of exorcising it, and also of recognizing and accepting it so that it doesn't sneak up on us and subconsciously come to dominate our actions in some more perverse way, such as war, murder, depression, controlling others, etc. In any case, sex is not bad, just powerful. And girls think about it quite a bit, too, I understand.

I for one find this anime both highly entertaining and not insulting at all. But thanks for raising the point. It's led to some interesting discussion. It certainly made me think.
__________________
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2006-01-26 at 18:21.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 18:27   Link #336
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo
This is definitely not my conclusion, after working with several lesbians for some years. They were mostly gentle souls who felt awkward around men, or strong women who could hold their own in a man's world without being any more aggressive than the men around them. As far as I'm concerned, the "femi-nazi" thing is a bad rap. Sure, you can find women who hate men; you can also find lots of men who despise women. It's even.

I do agree, however, that Kashimashi is a very sympathetic view of girl-girl love. Whether this show resembles any real lesbian relationship, however, is unclear to me. It is definitely aimed at men (those animals!) and it appears to be quite a turn-on for us.

I guess I'll comment on Thewanderer's point. It is extremely common for men to be portrayed as sex-crazed in anime. Nosebleeds abound. Often, only the protagonist is more "decent," and in this show the protagonist has been turned into a girl. I think a lot of men are sex-crazed, and we just control ourselves in the interests of sanity and social harmony. That's called being civilized. Laughing at this obsession in an anime is a way of exorcising it, and also of recognizing and accepting it so that it doesn't sneak up on us and subconsciously come to dominate our actions in some more perverse way, such as war, murder, depression, controlling others, etc. In any case, sex is not bad, just powerful. And girls think about it quite a bit, too, I understand.

I for one find this anime both highly entertaining and not insulting at all. But thanks for raising the point. It's led to some interesting discussion. It certainly made me think.
Wow, good points...

You've just inspired me to continue watching this anime. Besides, lots of anime I saw in the past that had this kind of thing in the first couple episodes proved to be woth sitting through it anyway(Mai HiME, for example).
__________________
Thewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 19:19   Link #337
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Freedom Guard Ship Amaterasu
Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
i heard about the manga but havent read so i started watching the series. Its pretty intresting but that guy is taking turning into a girl a little to easy i would leave the house for a while. but it is funny and see how the romantic side could keep watching and also giveing you a brain hemorage at the same time its kind of like

wait she was a he who liked her but now he is a she the her he use to hang out with like him but he who is now a she likes the she he use to like when he was a he but its weird because his friend when he was a he is looking at him now that hes a she like he i mean she is eye candy and all the shes of the school are ok with him becoming a her and so is she but he she states dating is he going to like a her or a him because she use to be a he but now ok i give up........sorry i got no more left my head just exploded
Sinestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 19:44   Link #338
NeoSam
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
wait she was a he who liked her but now he is a she the her he use to hang out with like him but he who is now a she likes the she he use to like when he was a he but its weird because his friend when he was a he is looking at him now that hes a she like he i mean she is eye candy and all the shes of the school are ok with him becoming a her and so is she but he she states dating is he going to like a her or a him because she use to be a he but now ok i give up........sorry i got no more left my head just exploded
LOL

I'm so confused after reading your post, I'm even not sure what gender I am
__________________
NeoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 22:18   Link #339
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
wait she was a he who liked her but now he is a she the her he use to hang out with like him but he who is now a she likes the she he use to like when he was a he but its weird because his friend when he was a he is looking at him now that hes a she like he i mean she is eye candy and all the shes of the school are ok with him becoming a her and so is she but he she states dating is he going to like a her or a him because she use to be a he but now ok i give up........sorry i got no more left my head just exploded
My head is going to ASPLODE!.

__________________
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 22:25   Link #340
Thewanderer
Hiyori Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Age: 32
Send a message via MSN to Thewanderer Send a message via Yahoo to Thewanderer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra
wait she was a he who liked her but now he is a she the her he use to hang out with like him but he who is now a she likes the she he use to like when he was a he but its weird because his friend when he was a he is looking at him now that hes a she like he i mean she is eye candy and all the shes of the school are ok with him becoming a her and so is she but he she states dating is he going to like a her or a him because she use to be a he but now ok i give up........sorry i got no more left my head just exploded
Am I the only one that understood that? o.O
__________________
Thewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, drama, genderbender, romance, seinen, yuri

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.