AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-04-18, 13:00   Link #221
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

People actually criticized the running scene? Wow...

Though I think the exposition in the very end was a bit too abrupt and didn't make a whole lot of sense by itself IMO. Of course, the movie the closest to it in idea, Groundhog Day, didn't expose the exact reason why it was happening, but the flow to the end felt much more natural and went for 30 minutes in the end.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 14:24   Link #222
nanafan
horo fan

was it the running scene at the end of the movie? i liked that cuz it showed how much she cared for chiaki, the ending was different than what i expected but i liked it. i thought the ending was beautiful

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
nanafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-18, 14:39   Link #223
FuzzyWuzzy

The ending was kind of predictable. When she was using her time travel just to avoid chiaki because
Spoiler for love:

, we already know that she is going to
Spoiler for reg:
at the end.

But at the end, the
Spoiler for b:
was a nice touch and made me chuckle.
Old 2008-04-18, 23:09   Link #224
narmi
The Asian who's Malaysian

The running scene was hilariously and great, I loved it. I too am surprised that a few people disliked the running scene.

Spoiler for spoiler/opinion:

I want to watch Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo (again) after I have graduated.

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha

Last edited by narmi; 2008-04-19 at 23:09. Reason: grammar
narmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-19, 17:42   Link #225
nanafan
horo fan

yeah, i felt bad at that part too narmi. i think i got teary eyed at the end of the movie.

All my little plans and schemes, lost like some forgotten dreams, seems like all i really was doing was waiting for you..-Real Love
Old 2008-04-19, 23:07   Link #226
narmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
yeah, i felt bad at that part too narmi. i think i got teary eyed at the end of the movie.
After watching the movie I felt glad and when I saw the dvd for sale (out of Region 1). I didn't think twice buying, I got it to the counter immediately with some of my money in hand .

http://www.nanofate.us/ NanoFate main website Weiss Schwarz Facebook Group - Deck theme: MSLN Nanoha
Old 2008-04-20, 18:16   Link #227
nanafan
horo fan

if i had the money i would definitely buy it. don't know if i could find it in a store though

Old 2008-04-21, 09:31   Link #228
narmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
if i had the money i would definitely buy it. don't know if i could find it in a store though
True and sadly there isn't any word (I heard of) when the dvds will be released (for Region 1).

Old 2008-05-03, 21:11   Link #229
Gundampilotspaz

Send a message via AIM to Gundampilotspaz
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in LA, NYC, Seattle

Anime News Netwrok is reporting on the dates for the American limited release of the award winning Japanese film, The Girl who Leapt Though Time.
Bandai Entertainment and Kadokawa Pictures USA have announced that Mamoru Hosoda’s award-winning The Girl Who Leapt through Time film will play in Los Angeles and New York City from June 13 to June 19, and in Seattle, Washington from August 29 to September 4. For the June theatrical release, the film will play in the ImaginAsian film houses in both cities. The Los Angeles theater will have the English-subbed version, while New York will have the English-dubbed version. In Seattle, the English-subbed version will play in the Landmark Theatres’ Varsity Theatre. Bandai Entertainment had previously announced that more venues in other cities and DVD plans will be revealed later.

The film updates the premise of Tsutsui Yasutaka’s best-selling A Girl Who Runs Through Time (Toki o Kakeru Shōjo or TokiKake) novel by having a modern Japanese girl discover she can leap back in time. A subtitled trailer is available online. CMX Manga is releasing Gaku Tsugano’s earlier two-volume manga adaptation of the original novel in September and November.
I would highly recommend anyone in those areas make the trip to see the movie in theaters. It’s not only on my all time favorite anime list, but has transcended it’s medium and made it onto my all time favorite movie list as well.

It has a solid story, good characters, and does a very good job exploring the temptations and the dangers of Time Travel. Really, is there anything better than Time Travel?

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time in LA, NYC, Seattle

For Anime, Video Games, and Science Fiction news and reviews go to Time Travel is Awesome
Gundampilotspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-04, 23:33   Link #230
narmi

^
Nice thank you for the information Gundampilotspaz. I can't wait to buy the official dvd.

Old 2008-05-05, 13:24   Link #231
BBOvenGuy
Author-type person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundampilotspaz View Post
I would highly recommend anyone in those areas make the trip to see the movie in theaters.
I hate going down into LA, but for this movie I'll make an exception.
BBOvenGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 22:34   Link #232
nanafan
horo fan

thanks gundam, unfortunately don't live anywhere near either city if i could i would so go, would love to see this movie in a theater.

Old 2008-06-13, 12:15   Link #233
BBOvenGuy
Author-type person

It's here! It's here!

Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo is playing all this week (June 13-19) at the ImaginAsian Center in downtown Los Angeles. Show times and directions can be found here:

http://www.theimaginasian.com/la/index2.php

I'll be there tomorrow!
BBOvenGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 20:24   Link #234
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I just discovered by chance that Tokikake is being shown in London at the National Film Theatre on Sat 21st June at 13:20 (in NFT1). It's part of a weekend of anime from 20-22 June.
They don't actually say whether it's sub or dub, I would hope surely sub given the context. (They're also showing 5cm/s and Makoto Shinkai is actually going to be there for a Q&A session!)

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-13, 22:05   Link #235
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

To me, the magic of the movie was in YS's character designs. I've yet to find another designer who bowls me over.

RIP, Oba-chan (1935-2008)
yezhanquan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-08, 01:05   Link #236
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

I cant figure out .............

Spoiler for this:

From the parts i did understand.... i knew something bad would happen to Makoto from the moment she started leaping without second thoughts but still when
Spoiler for spoiler:
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-09, 16:33   Link #237
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
I loved this movie. The best anime movie i've ever seen. And I have to agree that the best scene was the accident when she was screaming 'Tomare' over and over.
Old 2008-09-10, 14:55   Link #238
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

The setup for that climactic accident scene was brilliantly done, we get totally misdirected with the phone call, as does she herself, when I thought—and I think she thought—he was summoning up courage to ask her out but instead it's the shock question “are you time leaping?” After all that we’ve quite forgotten about the huge earlier panic, only to be hit by that big "DUMMMM" as the bike sails past....

I think the clever thing about the film is how we’re always in Makoto's shoes, we know what she knows, and feel what she feels, the mood of the film itself always following her mood very closely, so we identify with her and share her joys and agonies really intensely.

@incube: As for the waiting in the future thing, you need to read the rest of this thread, it has been a recurring topic of discussion with many views expressed. Personally I think it was just words, a rhetorical way of saying how much they mean to each other, a defiant stance against destiny if you like, but others think it may have some genuine possibility.

Close this thread, Open the nexT
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-17, 14:23   Link #239
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Some Walls ^o^

Old 2008-11-27, 03:23   Link #240
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Finished the film. My thoughts are as followed - absolutely loved the first half, involving her experiments with the time travel, getting herself out of awkward situations, but then seeing the horrible results of her meddling as she watched her friend ride towards his death without being able to do anything except scream. Great direction, writing, art, etc.

I was slightly less fond of the second half because of the expansion of the time traveling beyond Makoto, and a more sci-fi bent added to the proceedings, with talk of different eras, a character returning to "his time", etc. Perhaps that was too much for me, since I'm so firmly rooted in "slice of life".

That being said, it is definitely worth watching.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote