AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-04-05, 19:27   Link #221
brightredglow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba
I disagree, as well. and both of them leaving affected her, but when Morita left it inspired her. I don't know, somehow I like that better. It's like Morita makes her more mature? I'm wondering how she would have progressed if he never kissed her. That seemed to be a pivitol point in her developmen
It is fine to disagree. I just see the triangle and its effects differently in that Takemoto's absence hit her in a way that perhaps she did not expect. Everyone knows that she's intrigued by Morita, but Hagu doesn't give an impression that Takemoto is important to her beyond friendship. When he left, it seems like it hit her harder because it wasn't what she expected. I give points to Morita for understanding that Takemoto is important to her even if she won't admit it.

Quote:
Takemoto is almost too kind to her. They all treat her too delicately, when sometimes I think she needs that extra push. Morita was the only one to ever confront her when her work was falling short, or he noticed she wasn't being herself. I think if it was just Hagu and Takemoto, she wouldn't change at all, because he's happy with her childish nature. It's like the young boy in him is attracted to her. The one who didn't get much of a childhood.
I agree that Takemoto is too kind to Hagu, but to say that he's happy with her childish nature or wouldn't inspire her to change or grow seems unfair to Takemoto. Growth and change happened when they were friends so chances are they'd happen if they were a couple. And Takemoto's lack of childhood was his bridge to cross and he literally did that. It doesn't seem to affect how he feels about Hagu. He's attracted to her as a person who is special, not as a representation of what he didn't have. And Takemoto has shown that he can and has accepted Hagu at every stage in her development. Proof of that is that when he told her that he liked her, he was treating her as a mature equal in which she could respond in kind or not.

If that isn't treating someone in a mature way, then I don't know what is.

That said, I don't see Hagu as the best choice for Takemoto. He may be a good choice for her, but she's not particularly good for him. He likes her but there is not much reciprocation in the friendship, much less a relationship. That's why if they don't happen, I won't be bummed. That would give Takemoto the opportunity to find someone who is good for him just like Ayu has the opportunity to find a good relationship with Nomiya.
brightredglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-05, 22:11   Link #222
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

I think I like Honey and Clover as a series because no matter what happens, you sort of get the impression that Obla Dee Obla Da, life goes on braa, la la the life goes on.

Also: Art students are REALLY angsty *damn it feels good to be a techy*
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 00:12   Link #223
brightredglow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoHung
I think I like Honey and Clover as a series because no matter what happens, you sort of get the impression that Obla Dee Obla Da, life goes on braa, la la the life goes on.
I agree totally. One of the things I really liked about Honey & Clover was that even if love was unrequited, as in Ayu's case, life doesn't stop and even better, there was more to their lives than just being "in love."

I loved that realistic handling of Ayu's love for Mayama and how they were trying to keep their friendship. But I especially liked that Ayu was shown to be happy most of the time and doing her own thing. She didn't wallow. Her hurt was revealed when she was around Mayama but he wasn't always on her mind.

I get the same impression that will happen if Takemoto doesn't end up with Hagu. He might love Hagu, but unless the writer(s) change his personality drastically, he won't fall apart forever if he doesn't get her. He'll remain friends with Hagu, much like Ayu and Mayama are friends, but slowly move on.
brightredglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 01:08   Link #224
DannoHung
Watch the Skies

Yep!

Takemoto's grown too much to let a little rejection crush him. His chain may break, but he'll get right back up on the bike again.

On other points: I haven't read the Manga, but I really doubt that Morita could be a real love interest for anyone. He's the WIND MAN! YOU CAN'T CAPTURE THE WIND!

Please more Ham-Sempai! If there is one thing this show is missing, it's a Salt of the Earth character. Within the show, all the characters seem to go on wild emotional rollercoasters, but there aren't a lot of stable points to frame them against (well, maybe new Takemoto is like that, I don't know). Romayia could be that! The guy that says, "Well, I'm sorry I can't solve your problem for you, but if you need someone to throw shit against and see what sticks (and that is an awful mixed metaphor), you know where I am."

I hope Rika opens up to Mayama. He's just so faithful, like Seymour in Jurassic Bark.... except he's yet to sing "I'm Walking on Sunshine".
DannoHung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 03:57   Link #225
tritoch

hmm.. for me Morita/Takemoto held the group's nucleus together so well. They're polar opposites and yet when one is gone, it seems different. Everyone felt it.. They're impact characters.

Also about Takemoto faltering with his confession to Hagu.. Did you not see the huge plot device: broken chains? I thought it was a huge sign to impending dejection but that's how he will move forward I think. (thanks to DannoHung for the astute scene and coincidentally he meets this group of temple repair group which I think symbolizes a new hope <he might get a job>)

GUYS! I need your help! can you give me a link to translated full lyrics of the songs:

Waltz
Hachimitsu
Spica
SoroSoro Ikanakucha
Yoru_wo_Kakeru

Someone posted Dramatic's lyrics already so that's good. These songs please =)

Last edited by tritoch; 2006-04-06 at 04:08.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 07:21   Link #226
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
That's another seconding for some of the lyrics - I'm actually enjoying listening
to the music for its own sake, not necessarily because it's connected with this
show but even then, it's pretty good stuff.
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 08:33   Link #227
cipotlar

WALTZ can be found here..credit to Garten who is the author of that page.

i dont have lyrics for the other songs though
cipotlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-06, 12:38   Link #228
Scorch

Well, I just got through watching this series. At first, I didn't know if I would like it or not. The intro was great (with the bike), but I found myself disliking Hagu's design. Mayama and Yamada's personalities ended up getting me hooked on this series, and I watched it in half a week or so. Takemoto's growth as a person over the years was fascinating, and it felt a great deal more "real" than growth in shows with a shorter time-frame.

Last edited by Scorch; 2006-04-06 at 19:43.
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 23:28   Link #229
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

I was just wondering, the general thought is that this was a really good manga to anime adaption, but I was wondering if there was anything that was changed? Scenes left out? I don't mean little ones, but things that could be considered important.

I was trying to think of some, but I didn't really follow the manga till after the anime ended.
Old 2006-04-09, 00:22   Link #230
Cal-Reflector

Quote:
I was just wondering, the general thought is that this was a really good manga to anime adaption, but I was wondering if there was anything that was changed? Scenes left out? I don't mean little ones, but things that could be considered important.

I was trying to think of some, but I didn't really follow the manga till after the anime ended.
http://community.livejournal.com/hac...8.html?#cutid1

Just happens that a Morita fangirl pointed out this scene that was missing from the anime, which she considered pivotal to the triangle, since it involves Morita having revelations about Hagu.
Old 2006-04-09, 00:41   Link #231
ladida

I'll just have to say I don't find Hagu to be a particularly strong character. I mean she's talented (although they never fully tapped into her potential, unlike what they did with Morita and Takemoto) and she's cute (duh) but imo she looks and acts too young for both guys if they're thinking of developing these relationships.

On the other hand, I'm really hoping the angsty pairing between Mayama and that woman from the architectural firm gets resolved. I think it was the only thing that kept me on the series >_>
ladida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 01:54   Link #232
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladida
I'll just have to say I don't find Hagu to be a particularly strong character. I mean she's talented (although they never fully tapped into her potential, unlike what they did with Morita and Takemoto) and she's cute (duh) but imo she looks and acts too young for both guys if they're thinking of developing these relationships.

On the other hand, I'm really hoping the angsty pairing between Mayama and that woman from the architectural firm gets resolved. I think it was the only thing that kept me on the series >_>
Wow, are you serious? Hagu is supposed to be like, a genius. On the level of Morita. That's why they have a close bond.

Her art was featured in galleries and in magazines, etc.

And people can't do anything about how they look, that's stupid to say.
Her looking young isn't something that's seen as a good quality in the series.
Old 2006-04-09, 03:44   Link #233
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
http://community.livejournal.com/hac...8.html?#cutid1

Just happens that a Morita fangirl pointed out this scene that was missing from the anime, which she considered pivotal to the triangle, since it involves Morita having revelations about Hagu.
LOL I loved that manga scene! MORITA IN CANADA?! ROFL.
I loved that little canadian girl, too. so cute~

(although it was strange.. she was a young child and looked the same as Hagu, haha.)
Old 2006-04-15, 03:39   Link #234
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

I just wanted to post for those people who think it's completey unrealistic from 18 year old Hagu to look so young.

The girl in the middle is 19. The girl on the right is 12. it's not entirely impossible. Hau's just an extreme version of a common issue.

Last edited by Yotsuba; 2006-04-16 at 00:09.
Yotsuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 03:59   Link #235
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I just wanted to post for those people who think it's completey unrealistic from 18 year old Hagu to look so young.

The girl in the middle is 19. The girl on the right is 12. it's not <i>entirely</i> impossible. Hau's just an extreme version of a common issue.
aye.. my wife (of japanese extraction) is 48... yet she still gets regularly carded and god-help-me-from-the-police when she puts on overall jeans, stripey shirt, and puts her hair in pigtails or a baseball cap -- I keep waiting for the police to beat me up for jailbait crimes. She's 4'11" and about 95lbs. Halloween, she likes to perky-goth up (thank gods its not lolita style or I'd probably get lynched on the spot by an angry mob). On the other hand.... she's got a figure unlike Hagu seems to have.

For comparison purpose, I'm over 6' at 210lbs, I have shoulderlength hair and would fit in rather well with the barbarians in that Capital One commercial.

So a note to those who marry small asian-extraction women: be prepared to dye your hair, stay in shape, and practice running from anti-lolita lynch mobs after you're 40ish.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-16, 20:02   Link #236
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
I think what really does it is the fact that it is animated - it's hard
to tell that this is a post-pubescent person.

In fact, my wife saw about one minute of this series and went "why
are those college guys ga-ga over this little girl?" and had to explain
she was almost 20 years old. It's an exagerrated problem because
it is a drawn thing. I still think she'll like the series if she sees it.

I'm sure the issue will be clearer in the live action movie.
Old 2006-04-17, 04:47   Link #237
momogal
koi ni KNOCKOUT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb
I think what really does it is the fact that it is animated - it's hard
to tell that this is a post-pubescent person.

In fact, my wife saw about one minute of this series and went "why
are those college guys ga-ga over this little girl?" and had to explain
she was almost 20 years old. It's an exagerrated problem because
it is a drawn thing. I still think she'll like the series if she sees it.

I'm sure the issue will be clearer in the live action movie.

haguchan is 147cm.. but the actress who play her is 160!! too tall!
momogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 20:16   Link #238
aliensporebomb

Exclamation Wow...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momogal
haguchan is 147cm.. but the actress who play her is 160!! too tall!
That means for it to be proportional, everyone else will have to
be in excess of 200 cm tall! Or taller! Giantism!

Last edited by aliensporebomb; 2006-04-25 at 13:49.
aliensporebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 15:26   Link #239
ryublade

As a testimonial, I, too, used to be in Hagu's position. During my senior class trip in high school, I was mistaken as one of the students of an elementary school group on their own class trip and was herded onto a school bus before I could get a chance to explain myself. Luckily I managed to get off the bus before it left. My friends, who shall pay in their afterlife for this betrayal, were too busy laughing to help me.
ryublade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-25, 05:32   Link #240
Cal-Reflector

Question. The information I was able to find on the Honey and Clover movie only gave cast information for the "young people" in the show. I'd like to know who is playing Shuuji, can anyone help me out on this, perhaps with a link to some info? Japanese is fine too.

Tags
noitamina