AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-07-19, 19:06   Link #381
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

im currently watching this anime too and just finished episode 8.... i must admit i didnt laugh like i did in a long time The twister game was hilarious both the expression of the ones watching and the cracking sounds in the background.

I also think they made that girl too young... and she seems to be too innocent and pure to be talking about falling in love etc...
incube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 13:07   Link #382
Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunchboxx View Post
Ok, I'm watching this because it seems like every where I look its gets pretty good reviews. I'm only on episode 4 and so far most the characters are fine. But whats the deal with the little girl? They says she's 18 but she acts like a child and everyone treats her like a child, even saying that shit like "when you grow up". Does she ever change? How am I sposed to believe a relationship can happen with the adult characters without it feeling like creepy pedo stuff.
I agree! I can deal with characters acting younger then they really are, but with her I cannot see her as a teenager at ALL. She looks/acts like she is 8 years old, and everyone treats her as if she is still a little girl. /rant
Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-11, 15:22   Link #383
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I merely just accepted Hagu's personality because well, Japanese females can be very short (pretty sure some people here can attest to that), and Hagu is basically a country bumpkin who has been sheltered her entire life. As such, she and the Iron Lady makes excellent foils for each other, as in one we have a determined, confident woman who knows what she wants in life, and the other we have a naive, just recently turned adult girl who still is trying to find where her life will lead her.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 06:27   Link #384
Dop
Mmmm....

I've always considered that Hagu's appearance reflects her personality. She's led a very sheltered life in the back of beyond, living with her grandmother with no friends and nothing to do but draw and paint the same view over and over again. Her immature looks reflect her immature personality and emotions.

There are moments in the second series of the anime (the English language publication of the manga hasn't got that far yet) where she does look more mature, more like a young woman of her age reflecting a more grown up personality as she's changed and matured through her interactions with her friends.

Digressing, is anyone else sick and tired of waiting for viz to release the darn series already?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-09-15, 06:30   Link #385
Dop
Mmmm....

By the way, I am surprised not to have read on here about the recent death of Nagi Noda, who did the first opening title sequence.
Old 2008-11-19, 17:11   Link #386
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Ah!

Very surprising - I loved that intro. RIP. So young.
Old 2008-12-29, 19:37   Link #387
Theowne
耳をすませば

Send a message via Skype™ to Theowne
Announcement: A bunch of new H/C piano mp3s/videos have been created by me and posted on my site.

Here's the post.

And here are direct links to the three mp3s that will probably interest people the most:

Dramatic: http://www.omohide.com/omohide-com_Dramatic.mp3
Waltz: http://www.omohide.com/omohide_dot_com_Waltz.mp3
Fugainaiya: http://www.omohide.com/omohide-com_Fugainaiya.mp3

Happy new year.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 21:23   Link #388
typhonsentra

Since you can't really find DVDs for this series anymore (Did they even finish releasing them?) I looked for video online and ugh, this show is a pain in the ass to read with subs. So much is said and it goes by so quickly in the first episode.
typhonsentra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 00:34   Link #389
Theowne
耳をすませば

I don't think I ever noticed that, actually.

Old 2008-12-31, 03:03   Link #390
wistfulloner

I started on this anime just yesterday, and watched 16 episodes in one night. Okay, I'm 2 years late, but never too late to start, especially when this is such a fantastc, albeit slightly unusual series.

Will strive to finish the first season by tonight!
wistfulloner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-25, 22:18   Link #391
jsieczkar

well I found a clip of what the English dub might sound like....unfortunately.
http://www.heatherhalley.com/ --> Video-->scroll to the bottom and there is a clip.
Takemoto (not sure who it is) is ok, Hagu (Heather Halley) is passable, but Shuuji (Chris Kent) sounds really wrong.
jsieczkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-26, 18:35   Link #392
FuzzyWuzzy

Did the anime end with pairings? Or did they just play with the whole triangle love thing forever and ever?
FuzzyWuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-27, 03:19   Link #393
signorRossi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
Did the anime end with pairings? Or did they just play with the whole triangle love thing forever and ever?
Spoiler:
signorRossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-28, 00:10   Link #394
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyWuzzy View Post
There was an especially strong suggestion of Rika and Mayama ending up together; Yamada and Nomiya are also on their way there. For the rest, life goes on: Hagu chose Shuuji over Morita, because she wants to be taken care of (AFAIR) than to give herself to love, and both her and Morita knew that Morita won't always be there for her.

Takemoto became independent, and the ending was quite touching (though not as touching as the first series).
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 00:58   Link #395
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

Just for those who do not yet know, Umino Chika did the character designs for an upcoming anime series (debuts in April) called Higashi no Eden (Eden of the East). Main characters look like Morita and a Hagu/Ayu fusion, so for those of us who wanted a Morita end be sure to tune in and get lost in fantasies.

Here is the AS thread.
Old 2009-10-13, 15:08   Link #396
Dop
Mmmm....

The first DVD set arrived today, and I've only had the chance to see the first two episodes so far, and here's my view.

Good things: When Hachimitsu struck up I almost cheered, as the one thing I'd been worried about is that the insert songs might have been taken out for rights issues. Honey and Clover without the music of Spitz and Suga Shikao is not Honey and Clover, in my opinion.

Bad things: Subtitles use given names rather than family names. When you have a character on screen yelling "MORITA SENPAI!" and the subtitles read "SHINOBU SENPAI!" that just seems odd to me. I realise when subtitling that you can't just literally translate word for word, but using the wrong name? I mean, Viz got that right in the manga translation, so why not the anime subs?

I'm not a fan of dubs. This dub doesn't make my eardrums bleed (like some dubs I've heard in the past!) but is just unimpressive. I'll stick with the voices I know.
Old 2009-11-04, 17:31   Link #397
Dop
Mmmm....

Dear Viz

I appreciate that you licensed the Honey and Clover anime.
I appreciate even more that you've finally started to release it, even though it has taken you YEARS to get around to it.

I can even understand that maybe the rights for Moon River were way too expensive and so you had to change Mayama's ring-tone and remove Rika's singing.

But! Someone in your subtitling department needs firing.

It's one thing that the subtitles refer to people by the wrong part of their name and do not reflect accurately what is being said. Misplaced apostrophes are always just irritating.
But when the subtitles refer to a character by a DIFFERENT character's name, that's just TOO MUCH!!!

For Example. Hanemoto sensei says "Oi Morita" as Morita rolls across the floor in the onsen. The subtitle at this point doesn't say "Morita", or even "Shinobu", it says "Hey Yuta" - which is Takemoto's name and a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT CHARACTER!

This is kind of depressing. This is still my favourite series of all time and I wanted it to do well to encourage other shows in a similar vein to get licensed.
Viz have done such a great job of releasing the manga that I can't believe they've done such a shoddy subtitling job on the anime.
Old 2009-11-04, 17:37   Link #398
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I've been watching some of the episodes streamed on Hulu and I must admit that I have no idea why Viz decided to use the given names instead of the characters family names. ANYONE can tell that's not quiet right, maybe the parent anime company required it? And I remember some people talking on ANN about how it's unacceptable these days to not have a sign subtitle track since it's so easy to do and I think Viz left that out as well.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 17:55   Link #399
Kirarakim

I bought the first DVD set but haven't opened it to watch yet. That's really disappointing to hear about Viz's subtitle job.

Honestly I've never been a big fan of Viz and I avoid their anime releases whenever possible (which usually isn't so hard because they tend to release series I don't care about) but I had to buy Honey & Clover. It's a shame to hear Viz didn't give it the release it deserved (they definitely had the time considering how long it took them to get it released).
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-04, 18:03   Link #400
Theowne
耳をすませば

Thanks for the heads up. I'll pass on the DVD. Maybe try to import one.

Tags
noitamina