AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-10-29, 16:58   Link #581
DryFire
Panda Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilar View Post
What spec though?
These specs: http://www.matroska.org/technical/index.html
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 17:30   Link #582
Soluzar

Send a message via AIM to Soluzar Send a message via MSN to Soluzar Send a message via Yahoo to Soluzar
Quote:
Well, lessee.... FIRST MKV I ran into was h.264/AAC/ASS, second was Xvid/MP3/ASS, third was Divx/AAC/ASS.... need I say more?
What exactly do you see as being the problem with that? You can put any of a multitude of audio/video codec combinations into an AVI file, too.

That's a seriously poor excuse for a reason to use AVI. The way that container formats work is what you are arguing with here, and it applies to every container format going. Fail.

The Crumbling Biscuit.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 20:30   Link #583
Nicholi
King of Hosers

The inner circle has spoken. Shilar cannot re-encode MKV, it must be broken.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 20:50   Link #584
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Well, lessee.... FIRST MKV I ran into was h.264/AAC/ASS, second was Xvid/MP3/ASS, third was Divx/AAC/ASS.... need I say more?
Why do you need to care about that? They can all be converted to something else using the exact same method, as long as you have the proper directshow filters installed (hint: CCCP).

Quote:
SHOW ME AN EASY WAY TO DO IT RIGHT ON A COMPUTER THAT HATES MOST OF THE ANCIENT, NON-MKV NATIVE CONVERTERS THEY MENTION FOR CONVERTING!
"computer that hates"? Are you running Win95 or something? :/
Also, who mentions what for converting? "non-mkv native"? WTF?

BTW, Kurth already told you how to do it. It's not a one-click solution (try mencoder for that, you don't have to click once, just type a lot), but as long as you can follow written instructions you'll be fine.

Quote:
Now, I am doing it right for installing, but I have major install problems, or the program doesn't like ASS, or the Kanji does not register, et al.
Install what? What problems? What program doesn't like ASS? Kanji doesn't register?
You know, if you actually wanted help and not only troll a lot, I'd say you'd be a lot better off if you actually provided information on what the heck you're trying to do and with what programs you're trying to do it.

Quote:
Well, I've never seen it at A-kon (via computer from friends), nor Animefest, in any of the rooms they show anime. MP4's shown alot, but not MKV.
I have no idea what you do or do not do at US cons, and I don't care either.

Quote:
DID I SAY MKV WAS A #%&*#^&&*#^$*(#& CODEC, OR DIVX/XVID WAS A %#$%#&(*&% CONTAINER?! Ahem, First crashed, second lost all Kanji.... I did try that.
Yes, you did say that. Or at least you managed to be confusing enough that it seemed that that was what you were saying (you directly compared a container with two codecs, hence the confusion).
Are you saying that Avisynth crashed? Fix your directshow filters, then.
"losing kanji" as you put it, are most likely caused by one of the following (in no particular order):
1. lack of east asian languages support in windows
2. lack of unicode support in vsfilter and/or Windows
3. lack of the font specified in the .ass file

Quote:
Hey I'm just voicing an opinion.
No, you're being stupid and trolling.

Quote:
If you feel offended
Yes, very.

Quote:
First you told me that MKV has always been standardized, but when I extract MKV's, I easily see otherwise.
lol what? If "standardized" meant what you think it does, then AVI would only support XviD and MP4 only H.264 and AAC (hint: they do support quite a lot more).

Quote:
If they were standardized, we would have a program that even newbies can use to play them on iPods
Yes, of course, if Matroska was standardized, Apple would run an OS on the iPod that supported mplayer or DirectShow, and the iPod would magically have a CPU strong enough to play any MKV, even the ones containing 1080p high profile H.264! Why didn't I see this before?!

Seriously. If you want to watch ANYTHING on an iPod, you more or less HAVE to transcode it to fit its extremely anal requirements first. And since iPods are very proprietary machines, the only things they support are the things Apple want them to support. Which is not MKV, not RMVB, not WMV, and probably not even most AVI's. Of course, I hear you can install Linux on them nowadays. Which means you could probably run mplayer on them. Unfortunately it's probably far too slow to be useful on that kind of CPU...

Quote:
I had th h.264 codec when I tried the first mkv, and it didn't work til I got rid of the codec to download yet another h.264 codec.
"the h.264 codec"? For the 87654th time: H.264 isn't a codec, it's an ISO standard. How hard is this to understand, really?
Also, "yet another h.264 codec"? Which ones did you try?

Quote:
AVIsynth crashes in install. I have the Admin rights, and yet it won't install cause it says I don't.
If it says that, it probably means it can't write to system32 for some reason or another. Which means that either you DON'T have admin rights, after all, or that you're just doing it wrong again.

Quote:
Anyone willing to recommend a DVD encoder for AVI and Aegis subs?
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308

BTW: what is all this MKV whining/trolling/wtf doing in the H.264 thread?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-29, 23:19   Link #585
tritoch

Quote:
Yes, of course, if Matroska was standardized, Apple would run an OS on the iPod that supported mplayer or DirectShow, and the iPod would magically have a CPU strong enough to play any MKV, even the ones containing 1080p high profile H.264! Why didn't I see this before?!

Seriously. If you want to watch ANYTHING on an iPod, you more or less HAVE to transcode it to fit its extremely anal requirements first. And since iPods are very proprietary machines, the only things they support are the things Apple want them to support. Which is not MKV, not RMVB, not WMV, and probably not even most AVI's. Of course, I hear you can install Linux on them nowadays. Which means you could probably run mplayer on them. Unfortunately it's probably far too slow to be useful on that kind of CPU...
You can also try googling for a 3gp converter. I know for a fact that 3gp works with quicktime.

I convert .avi/.mp4/.mkv files to 3gp (ofcourse, sacrifice the aspect ratio). Mine had 320x240 resolution and I play it on my nokia n72 phone

Oh btw, sound stays the same too which is good. I found a good FREEWARE converter that is godly compared to the crap shareware trial versions that are out there

file size is about 80 mb for an episode. If anyone wants, I can upload an episode converted to 3gp and you can try it on your ipod if it works or not. I know it works for phones >,> and no, no other special phone software required except the realplayer that comes standard with the smartphones. =p

[edit] heck didn't realized that my converter had an ipod mp4 converter included as well. Will play around with the converter for a while =p

Last edited by tritoch; 2006-10-30 at 00:18.
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 01:50   Link #586
JediNight
キズランダム

I wouldn't even bother with Shilar anymore Fluff. He obviously is so set on being right, that he won't try anything. Besides the fact that he comes across extremely like a "noob" if he's having issues with basic stuff conflicting or not working for him.
JediNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 05:50   Link #587
Nicholi
King of Hosers

/me slams down the gavel of the inner circle!
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 08:22   Link #588
checkers
Part 8
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to checkers
caseu closedu!
checkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 09:55   Link #589
Musaran
Mind Wanderer

"The H.264/AVC/MPEG4 discussion thread"

Take a step back, take a deep breath, clear your mind and...
...don't feed the troll(s).
...stay on topic.

I don't watch this thread to read the same sterile polemic/arguing as elsewhere.
Old 2006-10-30, 14:10   Link #590
Shilar
Personal Opinions

Send a message via ICQ to Shilar Send a message via AIM to Shilar Send a message via MSN to Shilar Send a message via Yahoo to Shilar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar View Post
What exactly do you see as being the problem with that? You can put any of a multitude of audio/video codec combinations into an AVI file, too.
But, with all the "features," (Chapters, various softsubs instead of hardsubs, etc) it makes it hard to re-encode even with a lower aspect ratio with hardsubs added.

As for the rest of you that hint I'm a Troller: http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...tm/troller.htm

I stated an opinion, whether you agree with it or not I didn't care, it looks like some are willing to help, but the rest just want to "bash anyone who doesn't like L33T." I was hoping maybe someone point me in a direction I haven't tried, and if I have I'd say "I have tried." Simple. Therefore you started all this. I just throw my hat into MP4, a more "standardized" container, that is easier to convert on more computers, even lower end. You don't like it, tough. I just hope someone either helps (as is the case with tritoch, Darth Fluffy to some extent), or just, as in the case Dennis Leary, "shuts the @#%&@ up." >

Darth - So the "*.h264" is not a codec just an ISO standard? What about embed in an AVI? Don't worry, just a bit confusing on that. And, alas, tried Mencoder, the ASS files mess up on that episode on. I don't know why, but that Aegissub reads well played (softcoded), but doesn't hardcode at all. I did look in the file, and have the font in the directory and installed, when the hardsub works I lose Kanji still, and I do have native asian support. May have solved the AviSynth crash problem, maybe can get a bit of help someone?

TriToch - Can the 3gp format (heard of 3gp, not very familiar with it as never have run into it) get better res? Which encoder do you use?
Shilar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 14:16   Link #591
Shilar
Personal Opinions

Send a message via ICQ to Shilar Send a message via AIM to Shilar Send a message via MSN to Shilar Send a message via Yahoo to Shilar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musaran View Post
"The H.264/AVC/MPEG4 discussion thread"

Take a step back, take a deep breath, clear your mind and...
...don't feed the troll(s).
...stay on topic.

I don't watch this thread to read the same sterile polemic/arguing as elsewhere.
I didn't post in here to enrage the ALLCAPS, Jerks, and the rest of the Warriors, I came and stated an opinion due to experimenting on converting MKV (for play on a portable player), and prefered MP4 and AVI, and everyone decided instead of helping, bashing into the ground. Oh well.

Speaking of MP4, other than Lunar, what other fansub groups use it?
Old 2006-10-30, 14:27   Link #592
Devastator

Quote:
Speaking of MP4, other than Lunar, what other fansub groups use it?
Froth-Bite, Ryoumi, Arienai, Megami, Yoroshiku, Black Order, etc. have all released episodes in MP4.
Devastator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 14:28   Link #593
Eeknay
Gendo died for your sins.
*Fansubber

Arienai
Megami
Kaizoku
Ryo
KnF
Yoroshiku
Froth-Bite
Saizen
Ayu

Plus many more I imagine, that's just from a quick search on Tokyo.
Eeknay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 14:30   Link #594
Shilar
Personal Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
Froth-Bite, Ryoumi, Arienai, Megami, Yoroshiku, Black Order, etc. have all released episodes in MP4.
Nice, any good eps in your opinion? I know Froth-Bite (Magical Pokaan in MP4 woohoo!).

If need be, pm or email the message to shilar@swbell.net
Old 2006-10-30, 14:39   Link #595
Devastator

I haven't really been watching a lot of anime recently actually. I think F-B's probably one of the only groups that I've downloaded MP4 releases from. There are probably others sitting on my drives, but I don't keep a record of them.

I just did the same thing as Eeknay to tell you the truth.
Devastator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 14:45   Link #596
Shilar
Personal Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
I haven't really been watching a lot of anime recently actually. I think F-B's probably one of the only groups that I've downloaded MP4 releases from. There are probably others sitting on my drives, but I don't keep a record of them.

I just did the same thing as Eeknay to tell you the truth.
Well, where's that link for them? Always looking for more subs I may like watching. Currently watching "Cheeky Angel" on my iRiver while I wait for more Mermaid Melody.
Old 2006-10-30, 18:51   Link #597
tritoch

you can try Space Warship Yamamoto Yohko. Its in mp4. Or atleast the later episodes are. >,>

That's the only full series I can think of on top of my head that is in mp4
tritoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 19:12   Link #598
Quarkboy
Anime Translator

Send a message via AIM to Quarkboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritoch View Post
you can try Space Warship Yamamoto Yohko. Its in mp4. Or atleast the later episodes are. >,>

That's the only full series I can think of on top of my head that is in mp4
Arienai has finished three series completely in mp4:

Ginban Kaliedoscope, Yume Tsukai, funny pets.

And Starship girl yamamoto yohko was in mp4 for episodes 8+ (but the show is from 1999, so the video quality isn't stellar).

Also, we're in progress of doing pretty cure max heart (24 ep so far) and sugar sugar rune(20 eps so far) and hataraki man in mp4.

And to bring this back on topic, all of these are encoded in h.264 with aac audio.

We've done a few other releases in mp4 too of other shows.

In total, we've done 13(GK)+12(YT)+19(SSGYY)+24(PCMH)+20(SSR)+1(HM)+10( PC)+2(TLB)=101 releases in mp4 since slightly over a year ago when we started using mp4.
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-30, 23:53   Link #599
Shilar
Personal Opinions

Thanks for helping look for animes, will definitely give them a try. h.264 is a good format to me, cause the "downgrade" looks sweet, like ripping a DVD (for watching a copy on my pmp, hint hint ). Sometime I'll post the screenshots on the quality I get.
Old 2006-10-31, 01:32   Link #600
Fatsobob
Retired
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to Fatsobob Send a message via MSN to Fatsobob
I have been trying h264 more and more and thus far I like it. I could see h.264 eventually replacing xvid, but for now xvid and 264 will just have to get along.
Fatsobob is offline   Reply With Quote