AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-12-18, 07:36   Link #681
lamer_de

Quote:
Now I'd like to see AVI handle b-frames, when using h.264.
Absolutely no problem. Works just like with xvid or divx. You get an extra 1 frame lag or so when you use b-frame pyramid though. (yeah, I know, hack and all that, but shounen asked for it)

Quote:
And as far as I know, mp4 has only been used for the last 2 years~ or so, but got quickly dropped cuz of MKV.
You're wrong. MP4 is used by many groups, as it offers everything needed for a fansub (vfr, native avc support, complicated unstyled softsub support). See Froth-Bite, Arienai etc.

CU,
lamer_de
Old 2006-12-18, 07:44   Link #682
Nicholi
King of Hosers

When we laugh, we laugh together.
When we cry, we cry aloud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamer_de
You're wrong. MP4 is used by many groups, as it offers everything needed for a fansub
Pah blatant lie. What fansubs today have unstyled subs, 1 out of 1000? That is what it majorly lacks currently.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 09:02   Link #683
Harukalover
In exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamer_de View Post
complicated unstyled softsub support).
After taking the time to try and figure out the ttxt format I can definitely agree with it being totally complicated. But you're wrong about it not being styled. You can set fonts/colors/alpha values/size/bold/italic for a style in ttxt.

The only unstylable input MP4 accepts is .srt and possibly vobsubs.
Old 2006-12-18, 10:43   Link #684
Devastator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounen View Post
In the past? with MP4? Heck even OGM's been used more than MP4, by for example R1/R2 rippers.
I've only been in the fansubbing scene for a little more than a year (even then not really having had any encoding experience until the past 1/2 year or so), and did state 'all groups that I worked with' (which seems to be a key part of the line that you omitted in your reply). None of them were DVD rippers either at the time. Whether any have changed that, I am unaware.

As for the other points, looks like I don't need to say anything since they've all been covered already.
Devastator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-18, 18:11   Link #685
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukalover View Post
After taking the time to try and figure out the ttxt format I can definitely agree with it being totally complicated. But you're wrong about it not being styled. You can set fonts/colors/alpha values/size/bold/italic for a style in ttxt.

The only unstylable input MP4 accepts is .srt and possibly vobsubs.
Hmm yes I forgot you can set fonts, so styles yes. But you can't do any transition like effects or any simple motion at all, can you? XML is fun, we should all go learn how to use it more n_n.

Actually MP4 does not use SRT, mp4box however will convert SRT->TTXT when you add it as input.
Old 2006-12-18, 20:18   Link #686
Harukalover
In exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi View Post
But you can't do any transition like effects or any simple motion at all, can you?
From what I remember, no you can't. But you can do little workarounds instead. Such as a fade being possible by just redoing the line per frame and changing the alpha value a bit per line to imitate the fade. Positioning can also be messed with to imitate a move function in the same way as the fade is done.

Also there is a karaoke design for ttxt. Never tested it out though.

Code:
The Karaoke element indicates dynamic highlighting, or karaoke, 
applies to this sample. At most one Karaoke element shall be set per TextSample. 
The Karaoke is defined as a sequence of highlighting times, 
all sepcified as children element of the 
Karaoke through the KaraokeRange element.
According to this excerpt from the gpac ttxt documentation it seems a /kf like ability can be done in ttxt.

http://gpac.sourceforge.net/doc_ttxt.php <--- ttxt documentation for those interested.

Quote:
XML is fun, we should all go learn how to use it more n_n.
hehe... actually I was always thinking about doing an mp4 with entire ttxt softsubs (With fake moves and fades for where needed, possibly even a softsubbed karaoke).

Should be fun to pull off, just requires lots of notepad work and figuring out the weird XML-like formating.

Quote:
Actually MP4 does not use SRT, mp4box however will convert SRT->TTXT when you add it as input.
Shows how much I use MP4... ;/

EDIT: After rereading through the documentation there seems to be a move-like function. According to this part:

Code:
scrollMode : specifies text scrolling mode. 
Possible values are "Credits" (scroll from bottom to top), 
"Marquee" (scroll from right to left), "Down" (scroll from top to bottom) 
and "Right" (scroll from left to right). Default value is "Credits".
You can do basic moving I guess with this. The times and speed I'm not sure how to set and would have to test it out to find out... I would assume the time is set by the time of the line it's used on. Speed of movement, I'm assuming is some unchangeable function.

Last edited by Harukalover; 2006-12-18 at 20:39.
Harukalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-19, 13:40   Link #687
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Protip (If you are so hell bent on MP4 with softsubs):
1) Make subs in SRT format
2) Convert to TTXT in MP4box and style if required
3) ???
4) Profit
Old 2006-12-19, 15:36   Link #688
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Better tip:

MKV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MP4 >>>> AVI
Old 2006-12-21, 19:46   Link #689
abo taha

well<<very stupid question

can anyone tell me why mkv is better than mp4?or mp4 than mkv?
abo taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-21, 20:02   Link #690
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

MKV supports pretty much any type of file, has less overhead, is extensible with backwards compatibility... MP4 is just a typical industry standard that is lacking in features and offers nothing but the possibility of compatibility with various standalone/portable players that I would say most fansubbers don't care about. (Though AVI still walks all over MP4 for standalone compatibility)
Old 2006-12-21, 20:19   Link #691
abo taha

so< how can i encode h.264\mkv???

and is this the best quilty
abo taha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-24, 19:52   Link #692
[P]ako

Quote:
Originally Posted by abo taha View Post
so< how can i encode h.264\mkv???

and is this the best quilty
>_>

You can use any container you want, it won't, I repeat, it will not change the quality of your encode.

However, the codec h264 may produce high quality videos at a smaller size than other codecs (say Xvid or DivX), but if you don't know shit about encoding... it doesn't matter, your encodes are going to suck.

Last edited by [P]ako; 2006-12-24 at 19:53. Reason: typo
[P]ako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-24, 21:29   Link #693
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [P]ako View Post
>_>

You can use any container you want, it won't, I repeat, it will not change the quality of your encode.
O rly? <_<
If you are going to do something stupid like misleadingly imply that every container in existence supports h264, at least bump up your GUTB level at bit. You'll gain morerer legendness that way and we can have more fun.

Next you are going to claim frame rate has nothing to do with quality or encoding process either?
Old 2006-12-25, 06:35   Link #694
IRJustman
Founder, Sprocket Hole
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arimfe View Post
O rly? <_<
If you are going to do something stupid like misleadingly imply that every container in existence supports h264, at least bump up your GUTB level at bit. You'll gain morerer legendness that way and we can have more fun.
Actually, you CAN encode H.264 for AVI. I myself have done it. However, I'm not by any means suggesting it be done in a production mode (even though it already has been, with mixed results on my side).

--Ian.
IRJustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-25, 07:10   Link #695
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
^sure, next let's try putting h264 into rvmb. Because we can use ANYTHING we want right? Yes, let's pioneer and be the first to put h264 into apples, oranges and horses after rvmb.
Old 2006-12-25, 09:01   Link #696
Nicholi
King of Hosers

"Stop oppressing me and my ideas ;-;!! It's just another alternative!" -Quoteth the Book of Power Chapter 2 Verse A.
Old 2006-12-25, 20:23   Link #697
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

I see what you did there, very good
Old 2006-12-26, 16:37   Link #698
Sylf
翻訳家わなびぃ
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Sylf Send a message via Yahoo to Sylf
Actually, rvmb can hold h.264, iirc. Just not all profiles.
Sylf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-26, 16:53   Link #699
Nicholi
King of Hosers

I think you mean AAC. Since there is no H.264/AVC RealMedia whatsoever.
Old 2007-01-23, 03:52   Link #700
Shounen
Away for good

Quote:
Absolutely no problem. Works just like with xvid or divx. You get an extra 1 frame lag or so when you use b-frame pyramid though. (yeah, I know, hack and all that, but shounen asked for it)
Hacks are possible yes... But then we could just skip that XviD in AVI being an hack, or H264.
Quote:
You're wrong. MP4 is used by many groups, as it offers everything needed for a fansub (vfr, native avc support, complicated unstyled softsub support). See Froth-Bite, Arienai etc.
Uhh and as for complicated softsubs support, unless you cant handle this or you like pixel artifacts, or unless your really dumb and encode every ep from yv12 source then you better stop watching videos...

Softsubs are good for leechers, they just need to use 1 more step to be able to use it.

update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
None of them were DVD rippers either at the time. Whether any have changed that, I am unaware.

As for the other points, looks like I don't need to say anything since they've all been covered already.
I said "for example".
Shounen is offline   Reply With Quote