AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

View Poll Results: Which will you buy?
Playstation 3 88 49.72%
Revolution 63 35.59%
X-Box 360 8 4.52%
All three of them 18 10.17%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-12-28, 06:13   Link #81
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cueil
Yes we do... it's not hard to go look up everything all the stuff has been released to the public already. I'm sure arstech and anandtech have something on them
I presume you're referring to my remark about people not caring what's in the system, but since you quoted my entire post I'm not positive. I will say this: yes, people can look up the hardware, but that doesn't mean anything on its own. Consider this: when it was Playstation vs. Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast, did you ever hear computing power terms being thrown around? Unless I was totally out of the loop at the time, the answer is No, you did not. Nobody cared. I never even heard those subjects being thrown around by hard-core gamers.

Do you know why the power terms are being used now? It isn't because the fans care. It's because the companies are using it as a marketing factor. They now want to move beyond game consoles and become the center of the home entertainment system. They're getting their hardware into people's homes under the game console aspect. Beyond that, they want to show how powerful the systems are so as to express what it's capable of. This is with the intent of the system no longer exclusively existing for gaming, but for other home entertainment functions, too.

I'd also go ahead and mention that game consoles are becoming more similar to computers in their design. As such, companies drop hardware terms because gamers tend to know their tech stuff, and they'd comprehend it. I still maintain that people generally do not care; they're pleased when games look nice, but they want to play games that they'll enjoy and games from their favorite companies/series.
Old 2005-12-28, 06:41   Link #82
mangatron
I <3 Oneesan's!

Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itachikun
As for Nintendo, I think that the N64 ruled, while the NGC flunked, was because of one company RARE. They produced unbelievable games on the N64, from Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, to Conker BFD 64 and Donkey Kong. They have created a huge new world of gameplay. I always wished they would stay by Nintendo. I wonder how they feel right now after seeing the Revolution and not being too successful with the X-Box 360.
I believe Microsoft bought RARE, that's why.

I'm being bombed!
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 12:52   Link #83
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused
Even if such a statement is true, does it even matter? The PS2 sold tons, not because of how good it's software was but because of it's awesome games.
Software is the same thing as games......
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 13:03   Link #84
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

http://www.gamespot.com/features/612...html?type=tech

Just something of small interest, to actually give this thread a foundation
Old 2005-12-28, 13:38   Link #85
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
http://www.joystiq.com/2005/12/28/xb...make/#comments

Though I am not one to belive these things we all know that Microsoft is loseing at least 100+USD dollars on every 360 but when I saw this I was blown away, losing around 300+USD a console thats amazing if you ask me.

But the ps3 however has many parts made by SONY and if they decide to sell the PS3 at 500 USD they will only lose 6 USD a system and it has been said that the ps3 costs 494 USD(I know I read this some where on www.gamespot.com just seach you will find it.) to make so I really want to see how this will affect the 360 in the long run.
Old 2005-12-28, 14:41   Link #86
Ending

@ Sety

Well, if we want to nit-pick, games are entertainment whereas software can be anything from Linux to Diablo 2.

Anyway... Hopefully Sony does not intend to stay much longer in the shadow, because M$ is stealing the show.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 16:11   Link #87
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sety
Software is the same thing as games......
Sorry, meant hardware
Old 2005-12-28, 17:50   Link #88
Circular Logic
土は幻に
*Fansubber

I find the current poll results interesting: 28:27:4 to Sony:Nintendo:Microsoft. Says something about the popularity of the Xbox-360 on animesuki...

As for me, I've always been a Nintendo fanboy. XBox... bleah.
Circular Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 23:10   Link #89
Cueil

ignorance... to see someone who says "Xbox... bleah" probably doesn't own one and hasn't played more than 2 games on the system if any. The days of being a Nintendo fanboy are drawing fast to a close... you must feel the pressure after the horrid showing of the Gamecube with only the GBA and DS keeping them alive the Rev may be their last console if things don't pan out. For me I will own all three in time... I'm not going to miss the next Zelda game anymore than I'd want to miss Mass Effect or Gears of War or MGS4
Cueil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-28, 23:13   Link #90
Cueil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
I presume you're referring to my remark about people not caring what's in the system, but since you quoted my entire post I'm not positive. I will say this: yes, people can look up the hardware, but that doesn't mean anything on its own. Consider this: when it was Playstation vs. Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast, did you ever hear computing power terms being thrown around? Unless I was totally out of the loop at the time, the answer is No, you did not. Nobody cared. I never even heard those subjects being thrown around by hard-core gamers.
Holy crap are you for real? Number where thrown around like crazy durring that time... so I guess you were out of the loop. Every hardcore gamer cares... the hardware is the wheels that drive their games. The more power the more potential and do not put the Dreamcast in with the 64 and PS1... it is part of the current gen systems
Cueil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 05:31   Link #91
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Holy crap are you for real? Number where thrown around like crazy durring that time... so I guess you were out of the loop. Every hardcore gamer cares... the hardware is the wheels that drive their games. The more power the more potential and do not put the Dreamcast in with the 64 and PS1... it is part of the current gen systems
Errr most of the hardcore gamers I know care about the games, hence "gamer", personally I think it's the geeks who throw HW stats around. Some of the hardcore gamers I know own a PS2, Xbox, PSP, Gamecube and now the Xbox360 and they own them all not because of whats in each one, but so they could play that game a little earlier then they could if they just owned one of the systems. Actually one group of them refuses to play games on the PC, because they say that playing a game is about playing a game, not updating drivers and virus guards etc etc...

It's my geeky friends who buy a AMD64 with a 350GBP graphics card and then spends all day playing championship manager on it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg
http://www.joystiq.com/2005/12/28/xb...make/#comments

Though I am not one to belive these things we all know that Microsoft is loseing at least 100+USD dollars on every 360 but when I saw this I was blown away, losing around 300+USD a console thats amazing if you ask me.

But the ps3 however has many parts made by SONY and if they decide to sell the PS3 at 500 USD they will only lose 6 USD a system and it has been said that the ps3 costs 494 USD(I know I read this some where on www.gamespot.com just seach you will find it.) to make so I really want to see how this will affect the 360 in the long run.
The people I work with call it the M$ drug dealer tactics, you make a loss by giving something away and then when they are hooked you skin em. Where I work M$ basically gave us Exchange and Sharepoint, even through they make a loss at first, they have locked us into M$ products (we had to upgrade all of our PC's to Office 2003) and also since we are an educational organisation they ensure constant flow of graduates that are used to M$ products.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 08:33   Link #92
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
O RLY? Let's do a little test then. This is completely based on an honor system because you can just Google for this information, but I'm trusting that you won't.

What processor is inside of the PlayStation 2? What processor is inside of the GameCube, and what was inside of the Dreamcast? Do you know how much on-board memory each system had? Do you know what resolution each system outputs at? Onto the next generation, do you know the complete specifications of all three consoles, including output capabilities?

And if you could answer any of that (save for the latest systems, since we're being bombarded with advertising about them), while I'm impressed, the next question is, Do you think that anyone else here knows any of that? Do you think they care? Anyone else reading this, you're free to jump in and say that you care, or that you could care less.

I'm aware that Sony threw around some numbers with regard to how many polygons could be processed or what have you. The point I'm making is that people really don't care. People don't care about the hardware potential, they care about who is programming for it. Just as a poor driver can make the fastest racecar look slow, poor game designers can make the best systems look like they're running hardware from five years ago. People are buying these consoles to play their games on them - the people aren't choosing which system to develop for, they're choosing which system will have the games they want to play. The hardware may matter to the developers, but when it comes to the fans, it's little more than a bragging right.

As I've mentioned, though these consoles are becoming increasingly more like regular computers, they're not regular computers. Tech terms aren't thrown around and, though I'm sure one or two must exist somewhere, these systems are not benchmarked. You can't do it, because their function is so specific. Their perceived performance is determined almost completely by the games produced for them. It isn't a matter of choosing AMD or Intel, nVidia or ATI; you can buy the supposed best console, but if the game you want to play doesn't come out for it, you're out of luck.
Old 2005-12-29, 09:34   Link #93
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president

[x] None of the above - they all suck <- this option is sorely missing!

It would be incredibly stupid to waste money for this crap when I have a PC which eats all three for breakfast
Old 2005-12-29, 09:50   Link #94
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
O RLY? Let's do a little test then. This is completely based on an honor system because you can just Google for this information, but I'm trusting that you won't.

What processor is inside of the PlayStation 2? What processor is inside of the GameCube, and what was inside of the Dreamcast? Do you know how much on-board memory each system had? Do you know what resolution each system outputs at?
It was a RISC processor called the 'Emotion Engine' produced by Toshiba and Sony 294mhz I believe and upped to 299 or 300 in the later designs (the entire PS2 was actually developed by Toshiba according to Sony's design), Gamecube uses the 'Gekko' a custom IBM PowerPC Risc processor 485mhz roughly. I'm not sure on Dreamcast but I believe it was a Hitachi RISC Processor, I can't remember much details off the top of my head without checking. They all output at 640x480 resolution.

Do I win a prize? :_:

Quote:
The point I'm making is that people really don't care. People don't care about the hardware potential, they care about who is programming for it.
Most do...the ammount of times I see people swayed into buying a games console simply because someone says 'that is the most powerful console' or 'that is a console for kiddies' is amazing. In fact alot of people outside of hardcore gamers don't actually even know most of the developers or game series.

I've seen people outright say the PS2 is the most powerful console and people will believe this so in a sense...yes they don't care about the figures but in another sense...yes they do, otherwise they wouldn't ask the previous question. It goes back to what I was actually saying (in a rather sleepy way), marketting is more important. A bad attitude toward one console does put off the average consumer entirely. This also has a knock-on effect to developers and what games are available.
Old 2005-12-29, 10:00   Link #95
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Most do...the ammount of times I see people swayed into buying a games console simply because someone says 'that is the most powerful console' or 'that is a console for kiddies' is amazing. In fact alot of people outside of hardcore gamers don't actually even know most of the developers or game series.

I've seen people outright say the PS2 is the most powerful console and people will believe this so in a sense...yes they don't care about the figures but in another sense...yes they do, otherwise they wouldn't ask the previous question. It goes back to what I was actually saying (in a rather sleepy way), marketting is more important. A bad attitude toward one console does put off the average consumer entirely. This also has a knock-on effect to developers and what games are available.
Wasn't the initial Xbos sale slump turned around by Halo and for the PS2 didn't its sales go up with FF7?

*EDIT*
Bleh FF7 was during PS1, but I'm sure I remember reading FF7 drving up the sales of the console, or was it GT2 and PS2, can't remember, but the point I'm trying to make is that it looks to me that games drives the sales of the consoles not the bits inside them. A person who buys a PS3 coz they heard it has a better hardware, but wants to play Halo would be a right ijit. Personally I think that Xbox360 didn't do so well in Japan coz they are waiting to see what epic rpgs are coming out for it...
*/EDIT*

Last edited by grey_moon; 2005-12-29 at 11:07.
grey_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 13:42   Link #96
Takeru
Jag šter idioter
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Takeru Send a message via Skype™ to Takeru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina Inverse

It would be incredibly stupid to waste money for this crap when I have a PC which eats all three for breakfast
PCs may have the upper advantage... but you are constantly having to upgrade them... My Notebook is 2 years old and is already starting to tell me that it needs more....with PCs you are constantly dumping money into them to play the newest thing....if you get a console, you pay for it once and it will last you about 6-7 years or until they get to their maximum computing limit...plus, the game designers have a set of boundaries that the game must stay in so that you don't have to upgrade or buy any special program.
I can tell that the PS2 is becomming dated because I play Ace Combat 5 alot, and with all of the missles, jets, voices, and explosions...if too much is going on at once, it lags...and I'm not even online.
Old 2005-12-29, 13:53   Link #97
arias

Quote:

For all your technical knowledge, you seem to extrapolate your own experiences into the general population. You know people who outright say PS2 is the most powerful, and would buy the most powerful console... but is that the behavior of the population? This point is crap.
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 17:38   Link #98
Ending

@ Raiju32

Can't really say that they have "the upper advantage", since my comp is just a few months old and it still doesn't play the newest games at top settings. Granted, GF6600 is working like a bottle-neck in my case, but proves that consoles are a better choise when it comes to pure gaming. Especially after you have modded out those annoying area-codes and "anti-piracy" measures.

Fortunately PCs are a lot more than just gaming.

Last edited by Ending; 2005-12-30 at 08:47.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 17:55   Link #99
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lina Inverse

The reason for buying a console is because of the games.

Can you play "Shadow of the Colossus" on your PC? No? There will eventually be games like that for the next generation consoles as well. 'Nuff said.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-29, 19:19   Link #100
shikamarufoo

I think I'm gonna eventually buy all 3 of them.
XBOX360 may have it's flaws and M$ might be money hungry, but hopefully they'll be all fixed when Halo 3 comes out because that's basically the only thing that they use to get those damn things sold.
PS3 because of all the great franchises such as MGS, FF, etc. and all the innovative games such as "Shadow of the Colussus."
Revolution because of that revolutionary controller and hopefully get my parents into playing!. Imagine Mario Party with that...all the endless possibilities.
Buy consoles for their games, not because your a sonyfanboy/girl, etc.
shikamarufoo is offline   Reply With Quote