AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2007-03-05, 06:32   Link #81
ksoma

I do have to say this was one unexpected anime i have ever watched! but im glad i watched it! The development was brilliant and the ending was PURE!

I have been watching a lot of love-romance animes where the couples end up with each other but this really blew me away! i was so upset and i REALLY wanted to cry but since im a 'man' and everything i held it in (although i do regret it :P ). Words cannnot describe the affection, emotion i had after watching this, it was like something i would want to cherish for the rest of my life! These types of shows reminds me of why i should cherrish the ones i love.

I really enjoyed this anime and its definately one of my top list of love-romance animes, i would recommend this to anyone! and i mean literally anyone!

jus had to express my feelings there ^_^ im a sucker for emotional stories :P

Kojiro Soma
ksoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 11:56   Link #82
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-...mej-43-8s.html

Might interest a few people here.
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-08, 06:02   Link #83
martino
makes no files now

Yeah...though it's not like I really feel like learning kana/hira/kata just to play it.

Wasn't there a PS2 version as well?
Old 2007-03-11, 17:34   Link #84
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

I downloaded this series during an idle summer a year or two ago, it started promisingly enough, e.g. Irya’s reaction to the air-raid drill, freaking out at the way people just crouch down, which reminded me of the vacuous advice on how to survive a nuclear attack in the UK government’s infamous “Protect and Survive” leaflet many years ago. And when the boy tries to explain to her that it’s not for real, there’s no war on, I thought her response was a classic: “There is a war on, it’s just nobody’s noticed”.

Unfortunately this scene also reveals the first of many weaknesses in the story. Why are they even having these drills? Is it set in some world on the brink of war, in the future, the past, an alternative present? I was left scratching my head. I really wanted to love this show, it held great promise, but in the end it seemed to me there were too many plot holes, especially as to what would happen if they ran out of pilots.

I got the feeling that this was one of those derivative me-too series that pop up from time to time, that somewhere there was an original version of this story that made more sense. There was obviously a big slice of Evangelion in this: the unique/unreplaceable pilot idea, something that keeps cropping up (Divergence Eve being another example of it) but which for some reason never quite works in any series other than Eva. My own expectation as to how the story would pan out was that she would turn out to be an alien herself, but this seems not to have been the case, although I still felt she was one of the myriad Rei Ayanami clones that have escaped into the world: if ever there was a prophetic anime scene, it was the one in Evangelion of a tank full of Rei clones! Truly GAINAX seem to have been supplying these ever since to every animation studio in existence!

Although I’m glad I watched InS,UnN, it left me feeling unsatisfied, in the end it was like the curate’s egg, good in parts.
Samatarou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 17:53   Link #85
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
but in the end it seemed to me there were too many plot holes, especially as to what would happen if they ran out of pilots.
I think it is safe to assume that there would be some dire consequences, no ? For whatever reason the Black Mantas were the only fighters capable of winning against whomever they were fighting.

All in all - it is one of those things that didn't hurt too much. Just like in Saikano i moaned about how we never got an explanation how Chitose became the ultimate weapon... in the end that is not what the story is about, and ultimately does not matter much.

Sure, you can deduct some points for the things they leave unexplained, but meh. The thing is- this is about Iriya and Asaba, not abut the war. That is simply a backstory and the setting in which the story of Iriya and Asaba takes place, not the focus of the show. The focus is on the relationships between the characters, and that gets explored the most, not the world setting.
Old 2007-04-08, 01:44   Link #86
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

New blood here.

I just finished watching this and I will have to say this was one of the touching, brick-sh*tting anime I have watched. Animation was beautiful, music was wonderful, and characters were memorable. The last thing I've watched similar to this was Hantsuki, and some of the things they had going on felt like a punch in the gut each time to me. For Iriya, certain turns felt like a kick in the face or between the legs. Now I ain't sayin' that it's better than Hantsuki (still one of my all time favorites, needs more fanarts btw) because getting hit in the gut isn't anymore fun than the latter.
At first, I wasn't even sure why I picked this thing up. I was sort of willing to watch anything after finishing "Happy Lesson" (The Final = wtf and DO NOT WANT), and with the new season, I figure I can squeeze in one more complete series. Now, sometime that week, I lent my Onegai Teacher and Twins DVDs to a friend, and I was thinking in the back of my head " Are there any other series out there with a touch of sci fi like this?" So began my hunt. The 'UFO' stood out so I decided to give it a look. After watching the promo, I didn't really get it (didn't read the description, was expecting some sort of doki-doki high school comedy thing) so I decided maybe I'll watch it later. A couple days later, I was felling kinda depressed and I decided what the heck, it's only six episodes. Then bang, roundhouse kick to the face; Tendou style.

Episode 1
Spoiler:

Wasn't sure what to make of it at this point, I was sort of just curious at what was going to happen next, and when we would get "I'm an alien, hurr" from Lucy-I mean, Iriya (\o/ ru~).

Episode 2
Spoiler:

At this point, I figured it would progress normally between them and THEN sh*t would hit the fan or something. Then I remembered it was only 6 episodes ;_;

Episode 3
Spoiler:

I thought the school experience would end for them here.

Episode 4
Spoiler:

Whoa.

Episode 5
Spoiler:

No words.

Episode 6
Spoiler:

tl;dr I liked it. No, I loved it. Is there more? How does the end go down in the books? Also, someone needs to publish this in english.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-08, 02:58   Link #87
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

All I'll say is, very interesting review. I enjoyed reading it. +reps :3
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 04:23   Link #88
Hildolfr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post
... Why are they even having these drills? Is it set in some world on the brink of war, in the future, the past, an alternative present? ...
In the anime, there are news segments about the war (there are two wars going on in the series, one war with humans and another with the aliens) and they talk about the 38th Parallel, which is the demarcation that seperates North and South Korea.

So IMO, the human war is with North Korea and it follows the first Korean war fairly closely, and the time frame seems to me to be near future or present day.

1. North Koreans push south almost take all of South Korea which puts Japan within range of airstrikes and possible sea invasion.

2. An "Inchon" style counter attack crush's the North Korean invasion in a large pincer and forces peace talks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_war

Last edited by Hildolfr; 2007-04-11 at 04:25. Reason: Forgot to answer second part
Hildolfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-11, 13:34   Link #89
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

I managed to find the DS game, though the price I paid for it may have been a little too much...

EDIT: Disregard, did not read Hildolfr's post in it's entirety.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 02:17   Link #90
wasupdavey

Well I didn't know Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu was still popular. Yes I've been trying to get this series out even more just recently gave my friend a copy of the series to borrow.

Anyways what I wanted to say is the ending doesn't seem to bad although at first I was crushed not knowing what happened to Iriya. But now that I think about it...

Spoiler for :

Hummm. Two years into this beautiful series I wonder if there will be a sequel. Goodness I hope at least a follow up story.
wasupdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 04:02   Link #91
martino
makes no files now

Where would you want the story to go from there? I think there is nowhere else to go from how they concluded it, fin...
Old 2007-04-12, 10:51   Link #92
wasupdavey

Yes its a quite aproppriate ending. But wouldn't you want a 1 follow up episode just to see what happens? Part of me doesn't and part of me does
wasupdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-12, 11:22   Link #93
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

It was implied that iriya doesn't have much to live either way ... so even if she survived the battle she is destined to die anyway ... no thanks - i will pass on that. Just finished watching Fafner and i have enough of tragic moments and angst.
Old 2007-04-16, 23:58   Link #94
astroboy

a kiss would've been nice... atleast one before she left him

I know deep down the ending is good the way it is, but I can't help but yearn for seeign those two together, iriya deserves it for all her suffering and anguish although dying for Asaba must've been all she truly would've needed maybe.

and asaba for all his mental anguish as well, c'mon having the girl you love more than anything in the world not even acknowledge you or want to be with you or recognize you for that matter .... heart wrenching =C

ATLEAST GIVE ME A FAN MADE KISS! C'MON FAN-ARTISTS! lol
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-17, 01:58   Link #95
martino
makes no files now

Yeah... Good call. One thing this thread needs; pictures.
Old 2007-04-17, 23:53   Link #96
astroboy

Spoiler:
astroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-18, 03:09   Link #97
DanielSong39

The story looks complete to me; I suppose the only unresolved issues are the potential romances between Naoyuki and Akiho, and Kunihiro and Yuuko. But that would make the show a simple romantic comedy.

Or who knows, there could be another war, and Naoyuki could become a Gundam pilot.
DanielSong39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 19:48   Link #98
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

Well I just watched all 6 episodes in one stretch...and I'm stunned.
this high quality, this great story, and this fantastic mood in just 6 episodes?!?!
I love it!
it's great!!
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu is definetively on my top10 Anime list!!

anyone got any Pics?!?!?
Iriya is one of the cutes girls ever.

I love this kind of quality Animes. If anyone got namws of any other short super-quality Animes then tell me as fast as you can

Areguzanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 20:18   Link #99
Neaco
*Graphic Designer

I've watched this series 6 times

Iriya no Sora is extremely underrated IMO. Everyone should see it, it's a very touching romance. I think some people get turned away because they think it's some heavy scifi show at first glance...

Here's some images.

Neaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-02, 20:50   Link #100
Areguzanda
Ecchi!

thanx alot!

Iriya Kana lovely

Areguzanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, fantasy, romance, shounen