AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-08-09, 01:29   Link #2201
Saleh
Inactive

Man faces $30,000 bill for falsely reporting crash

Quote:
DURANGO, Colo. (AP) -- A man who authorities said was drunk when he called 911 to falsely report a plane crash in southwest Colorado faces more than a hangover. La Plata County sheriff's officials said they plan to recover from the man $30,000 in estimated costs that authorities spent responding to the report.

The man, 59, was arrested on suspicion of false reporting after 50 emergency workers responded to a call Thursday from a man who said his arm was severed in a plane crash. The caller said up to 12 other people on the flight died.

Investigators said they traced the call to the suspect.

The man told an investigator Friday that he believed he was talking on the phone with his friend, not an emergency dispatcher.
Old 2009-08-09, 16:45   Link #2202
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Serves him right really. If another serious accident had occured at the time, then there'd be less crews ready to respond to it.

They should start fining (although for a far smaller amount) those who waste the emergency operators time. We've all read those stories where people call in to report blocked toilets and stuff.
Old 2009-08-09, 22:39   Link #2203
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Italian thief thanks police for rescuing him from his victims
Quote:
Mon Aug 3, 12:33 pm ET

ROME (AFP) An Italian thief thanked police officers for arresting him and putting an end to a beating from Korean tourists whom he had robbed in Rome, police said on Monday.

"I must thank you, they were massacring me," the 48-year-old criminal told police after he was arrested near the Theatre of Marcellus, one of the monuments in Rome's historic centre.

The thief, from the northern region of Liguria, stole a handbag from a Korean family when they were not paying attention. He threatened the family with a knife when he was spotted and then tried to flee.

Two men from the family, in their twenties, chased him for several hundred metres before they got him down with taekwondo moves. They disarmed the thief and continued to beat him.

A patrolling police officer intervened, separated the three and arrested the thief immediately.

"Normally tourists will just call us and report the incidents," the officer said. "In this case, the two got really excited and could have seriously injured the thief."

The young Koreans left after they got the handbag back. The thief was transferred to a prison in Rome and will face robbery charges.

Armed robbery in Rome experienced a sharp decline last year with 4,246 cases reported in 2008 compared with 5,133 in 2007.
Well this is a amusing story
Old 2009-08-10, 05:04   Link #2204
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Armed robbery in Rome experienced a sharp decline last year with 4,246 cases reported in 2008 compared with 5,133 in 2007.
Is it linked to an increase in Korean tourism?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-10, 21:46   Link #2205
Shadow Kira01

Junichiro Koizumi rocks up to unveiling of Elvis statue in Kobe

Quote:
Former Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi, 67, attended a ceremony in Kobe Harborland on Sunday held to unveil the Elvis Presley statue that sat outside the Love Me Tender store in Tokyo’s Harajuku since 1987, but was removed in January this year following the closure of the store.

Koizumi joined the crowd of about 1,000 Elvis Presley fans who braved the rain for the unveiling of the statue, which was originally paid for by the former prime minister along with contributions from several hundred other fans. Koizumi said that his love for Elvis was handy in diplomatic relations at times, and in the end seemingly outshone the statue amid the cries of “Jun-chan” that came from the crowd.

Kobe, known as the birthplace of jazz in Japan, was chosen as the new location for the statue after locals campaigned to have it brought to the port city. Harajuku was chosen for the first site in 1987 – 10 years after The King’s passing.
There is nothing odd or silly about this but considering what the News Stories thread is about, this just didn't fit in with the other stories. Koizumi-san seems to be having a good time..
Old 2009-08-10, 23:48   Link #2206
Saleh
Inactive

Georgia Deflects Blame Ahead of EU Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiegel
In a soon-to-be-published report, the European Union is expected to place the responsibility for starting the South Ossetia war on Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili. Georgia is already taking pre-emptive measures to deflect blame, with Georgian media accusing SPIEGEL of being a "mouthpiece for Putin."

Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili is preparing the Georgian population for the planned publication in September of the European Union's report into the five-day war between Georgia and Russia in August 2008. The document is expected to assign primary responsibility for the attack on the South Ossetian capital Tskhinvali to Saakashvili -- with the qualification that Moscow provoked him.

As a counter-measure, the government in Tbilisi has already published a separate 190-page report concluding that it was Russia which "launched a large-scale assault on Georgia" last year. "Now the West can have no doubt who started the war, and why," commented Georgia's state minister on reintegration, Temur Yakobashvili.

However, NATO and EU experts have so far found no evidence to support Georgian claims that a Russian column of 150 tanks and armored vehicles had advanced into South Ossetia before the Georgian attack on Tskhinvali.

Georgian media has prominently reported on statements by Western politicians which support the Georgian position. However criticism of Georgia is suppressed or presented as the product of a conspiracy. After SPIEGEL in June reported on the provisional internal results of the EU investigative commission, the pro-government weekly newspaper Georgia Today explained the report's uncomfortable conclusion to its readers by falsely claiming that SPIEGEL had obtained its information from Russian intelligence. In addition, the newspaper made the completely untrue assertion that the German magazine is owned by a subsidiary of the Russian energy company Gazprom -- and is therefore a "mouthpiece for Putin."

German Green Party Defends 'Racist' Campaign Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speigel
A German election campaign poster featuring the naked buttocks of a black woman being squeezed by the hands of a white woman under the slogan "The Only Reason to Vote Black" has provoked accusations of racism.

The poster put up by the environmental Greens party in the western town of Kaarst contains a play on words: "Black" in German party politics refers to the color colloquially used to describe Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative Christian Democratic Union (CDU) party. Other major parties are described as red, yellow and, of course, green.

The poster is meant to highlight the Greens' support for same-sex partnerships, said the local head of the Greens, Christian Gaumitz, according to the daily Rheinische Post. "We only put up a small number of these posters. The response has been very big, but the majority of people share our understanding of the subject: that it's provocative, but not tasteless."
Old 2009-08-11, 00:13   Link #2207
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Is it linked to an increase in Korean tourism?
Lol, wouldn't be surprised if there was a direct correlation .
Old 2009-08-11, 03:42   Link #2208
mg1942

8-10-09

is this guy reporting or... just gloating?

Spoiler for you decide...:
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 04:14   Link #2209
james0246

^I read an interesting article a year or so ago (I will try and find it sometime today) that described why FOX News has such good rating. To summarize, the findings shown that the majority of viewers for MSNBC/CNN are computer literate, and with time have dropped the 24-hour channels and instead pick up their news on the internet. But, the majority of the FOX News viewers are not as literate with computers, so they only get their news from FOX and the random e-mails (generally from FOX) that are sent to their accounts. Consequently, FOX is retaining or adding these computer illiterate viewers, wheras MSNBC/CNN is losing viewers to the internet.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 11:05   Link #2210
Saleh
Inactive

Mona Lisa smiles on after teacup attack

Quote:
AN "unhinged" Russian woman threw a teacup at the world's most famous painting, Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, but it emerged unscathed due to its bullet-proof glass cover, the Louvre museum said today.

"The young woman took a cup out of her bag and threw it over the heads of other people who were looking at the painting. The cup smashed on the bullet-proof glass which was slightly scratched,'' a spokesman said.

"It looks like it was done by someone who was unhinged and wanted to draw attention to herself,'' he said.

The woman put up no resistance when museum guards apprehended her after the incident on August 2.

She was handed over to police who said the woman "has been transferred to the police psychiatric infirmary''.

Old 2009-08-12, 15:52   Link #2211
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Woman to marry fairground ride

http://news.uk.msn.com/odd-news/arti...ntid=149033576

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 20:23   Link #2212
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
is this guy reporting or... just gloating?

Spoiler for you decide...:
That is one mangled misinterpretation of the ratings.... regardless of what one may think of Fox, the total number of eyeballs watching the boob-tube is spiraling down in flames. Ever notice how every public place (airports, gym, etc) seems tuned to a Fox channel? Paid to be the default (unless people complain loudly enough and then the employees happily change it).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 22:32   Link #2213
Nosauz

on a interesting note, Glenn beck advertising sponsors are pulling out left and right, he is such a nut that even comglomerates that are hihgly favored at fox news aren't willing to risk their money with his show.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 22:36   Link #2214
mg1942

to bring back sanity he should be replaced by Lou Dobbs!
mg1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 22:49   Link #2215
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
on a interesting note, Glenn beck advertising sponsors are pulling out left and right, he is such a nut that even comglomerates that are hihgly favored at fox news aren't willing to risk their money with his show.
To be fair, the advertisers are not leaving the channel, they are only ask that their advertisements be moved to other time slots. So, there is no incentive for FOX News to reign in Beck's stupidity.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 23:32   Link #2216
iLney

It's entertaining at least.

And tbh, they have news that you will never find on CNN and such, which is actually a good thing
iLney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 23:58   Link #2217
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Not that CNN is any better anymore, they seem just as clueless about their profession these days :P
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 00:23   Link #2218
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Not that CNN is any better anymore, they seem just as clueless about their profession these days :P
The cable networks' interpretation of "news" is currently finding some international source online that broke it out, and bringing in two talking head "experts" to explain the obvious. I don't watch TV anymore. It feels almost demeaning to be sitting in front of it.
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 05:17   Link #2219
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Whenever I watch any of the cable news channels, I keep thinking they should be required to take the "News" part out of their name. At this point they have more in common with tabloids like the enquirer than actual news shows.
Old 2009-08-14, 12:42   Link #2220
Saleh
Inactive

Great granny drug raid 'an error'

Quote:
Police have apologised to a great-grandmother after they carried out a drugs raid on her home by mistake.

Margaret Hogarth, 75, of Peebles, in the Scottish Borders, said she "almost had a heart attack" when officers battered down her door.

However, once they got inside her one-bedroom flat they realised they had gone to the wrong premises.

Lothian Borders Police described it as a "regrettable incident" and thanked Mrs Hogarth for her "understanding".

Half a dozen police officers carried out the accidental morning raid on the widow's home at the weekend.

They ordered her to open the door but before she could find her keys they used a battering ram to smash it open.

'Happened quickly'

The pensioner said police had carried out the operation despite a neighbour telling them the flat was occupied by an elderly lady with a dog.

Mrs Hogarth, whose late husband Walter was a special constable with the police for 12 years, said: "It all happened so quickly, I could hardly believe it.

"I almost had a heart attack.

"The first I knew something was wrong was when I heard the police banging on the door and shouting: 'Open this door now!'."

Mrs Hogarth said she told the police she would have to get her keys but as she went to get them they knocked down her door.

"The door flew in and the picture fell off the wall," she said.

"There was an awful mess and my dog was upset.

"I started shaking and then I started to cry, I just didn't know what was happening - it was a nightmare."

It was only once they got inside that police realised they had got the wrong house.

Mrs Hogarth added: "The police said my house came up on their computer but to get it so wrong is unbelievable.

"I understand they have to do their job and get in quick but if they had just taken the time to check who lived there it would have saved a lot of hassle and a lot of pain.

"My neighbour saw them coming and told them that an old woman lived in there with her wee dog but they told her not to talk to them and get back inside her house."

Tags
humor, news