AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-04-05, 09:43   Link #3101
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harufox View Post
Something's gotta be done about this stupid litigation thing.
If it goes through then there would be something wrong with the judicial system. She vandalises public property and gets away with it?

Though the arrest is abit overboard.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 19:46   Link #3102
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Skype™ to Haruka_Kitten
Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
It seems like another opportunistic attempt to make money.
Seriously, this just seems to be something we're all good at. Greed takes over and drives us to do stupid things like this. Whoever thought that loopholes in law can be used like this was a really twisted man, and it seems anyone with a lawyer can get money easily over small stupid things like this.

And now for something completely different:

Sheep targeted by aliens say Animal Pathology Field Unit

Quote:
VISITORS from another world are performing alien experiments on sheep in "frightening attacks", witnessed by UFO experts.

A UFO group says it has witnessed sheep on the England/Wales border being hit by strange objects in the sky with victims having had their brain and internal organs removed, The Sun newspaper reports.

Others have lost eyes or had their flesh carefully stripped away, usually on the left side.

Phil Hoyle of the Animal Pathology Field Unit group said: "For a short while it looked more like a Star Wars battle.

"The technology involved in these attacks is frightening. These lights and spheres are clearly not ours.

"They are built by technology and intelligence that's not from here."
Oh god, here we go again...someone's been watching too much "V"
Old 2010-04-05, 21:18   Link #3103
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Actually, I find it hilarious in a different way. The news about the 12-year-old girl had a prequel article which was posted here. The comments were the obligatory outrage that they would handcuff and drag away a little girl over a damned doodle. (And no, SaintessHeart, that's not vandalizing public property; that's a little girl drawing a damned doodle.)

Now her family's planning to sue the hell away and we're back to being outraged against them instead.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 23:02   Link #3104
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Skype™ to Haruka_Kitten
YouTube outrage as thousands watch brand new iPad getting smashed by a baseball bat

Quote:
A VIDEO of a group of teenagers destroying a brand new iPad computer with a baseball bat has gone viral on YouTube.

The video of the smashing of the $US500 ($545) device outside a Best Buy store in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, on Saturday has attracted more than 280,000 views on the video-sharing site.

The Los Angeles Times caught up with Justin Kockott, the 19-year-old high school student who made the video titled Brand new iPad getting smashed by a baseball bat.

"I wanted to be the first one to do it before other people did it," Kockott told the newspaper.

"It was just something to do.

"I knew some people would hate it, but I didn't think that many people would hate it," he said.

"A lot of people are leaving really bad comments (in the YouTube comments section)."

Kockott told the Times he did not have anything against Apple and had actually bought two other iPads.

"I do not at all hate Apple. I love Apple, actually," he said.

Apple said that it sold more than 300,000 iPads on the first day of availability on Saturday.
What a really stupid thing to do! How the hell am I supposed to prove that teenagers aren't all bad when they're running around doing stuff like this for thrills? I understand it was a simple stunt, and that you have nothing against Apple, but FFS!
Old 2010-04-05, 23:34   Link #3105
Nosauz

Duke Blue Devils win NCAA Tournament, beating Butler 61-59.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5059192
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 00:13   Link #3106
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
YouTube outrage as thousands watch brand new iPad getting smashed by a baseball bat

What a really stupid thing to do! How the hell am I supposed to prove that teenagers aren't all bad when they're running around doing stuff like this for thrills? I understand it was a simple stunt, and that you have nothing against Apple, but FFS!
You can't.
It's the 7 odd years of human evolution from child to adult, so its bound to be the most messed up and unstable of all periods, lol.
I don't care that it got smashed, rather the dude got some attention for himself, it's a smart publicity stunt for him (and sadly for apple) for whatever reasons he wants *shrugs*

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 00:37   Link #3107
FateAnomaly

Its his own iPad. He can do what he want with it. The problem is people who actually find it interesting that he smashes his own stuff.
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 08:20   Link #3108
NinjaYali
Banned

According to Shitkaku Complex in great nation of Russia, these are the popular mangas...and how GAR leader Putin will react (according to me

1. Naruto: If only we had more ninjas in Chechnya

2. Death Note: What...What are you looking at? I am totally not writing Mikhail Saakashvili's name in this Black notebook.

3. Bleach: After great day of drunk on Vodka and assasinating reporters, FSB agents enjoy settling down to read about the Heart. What a life.

4. Lolicon Phoenix: In Soviet Russia, lolis rape you!!

5. +Anima

6. Full Metal Alchemist: Somewhere, a Russian, Jewish, brown-haired, Neo-Nazi is going 'Zomg!! Blonde haired, manly man! Quick!! Call the boys, we've got to watch this guy kick some foreign ass right after worshipping our granddad's killer'

7. Chrono Crusade

8. Angel Sanctuary

9. One Piece: Going around killing scientists and children. Great for nostalgia.

10. Sailor Moon: Well, if we couldn't get to the moon first

So I want to be more Russian, is this lolicon phoenix any good?
NinjaYali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 08:22   Link #3109
Marcus H.
Hunk o' Burning Love

I'd let him be for the same reason FateAnomaly said, but just to clarify things, can anyone point me to a video where a similar thing happened (a very newly-launched gadget gets smashed in front of the camera only to be posted in Youtube)?

And by the way, there are a number of techie critics out there not liking iPad.
Excited for Mitou Shoukan://Blood Sign?

Contact me on Wikia, MyAnimeList and Hummingbird.
MyAnimeList Status|| Watching: 36. Completed: 214. Plan to watch: 33.

Marcus H. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 09:26   Link #3110
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I'd let him be for the same reason FateAnomaly said, but just to clarify things, can anyone point me to a video where a similar thing happened (a very newly-launched gadget gets smashed in front of the camera only to be posted in Youtube)?

And by the way, there are a number of techie critics out there not liking iPad.
Wii, and PS3 both had vids of them being smashed infront of people waiting to buy them, although I'm not sure about the 360 but people have been doing these types of vids to garner themselves attention
Old 2010-04-06, 09:45   Link #3111
justsomeguy

Watching stuff get destroyed is oddly satisfying. It's like watching Godzilla rampage through Tokyo.
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 12:15   Link #3112
AnimeFan188

"After two hit "Robot Chicken" parodies of "Star Wars," "Chicken" masterminds
Seth Green and Matthew Senreich get to do the real thing.

"Star Wars" creator George Lucas' Lucasfilm Animation said Monday it is
developing a new animated "Star Wars" series that will take a comedic and
irreverent look at the characters from the sci-fi franchise and will feature creative
involvement from Green and Senreich as well as writing from Brendan Hay ("The
Daily Show")."

See:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies....s-fest-reuters
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-06, 12:16   Link #3113
Xellos-_^
Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Quote:
Something's gotta be done about this stupid litigation thing.
sure the girls parent is probably using this for a get rich quick scheme but the school basically handed it to them.

I mean when did scribbling on a desk justify calling the cops and arresting a 12 yr with handcuffs. the schools can't/won't do anything regarding bullying but will stand up and prosecute to the max for writing on a desk.

imo the school deserve to get sue.
Old 2010-04-06, 13:09   Link #3114
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:

So much publicity for just $US 500, I think it is a good deal... provided you actually want the PR.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-07, 08:41   Link #3115
Nosauz

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=48547
this is the sad state our MSM is in.
Old 2010-04-07, 20:18   Link #3116
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post

irreverent look at the characters from the sci-fi franchise and will feature creative
Daily Show")."

See:

So does this mean that Dr Ball MD is going to become a canon star wars character?
Old 2010-04-07, 21:58   Link #3117
Dilla
'Sup Ballers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post

Daily Show")."

See:

I'll watch it. I found the Robot Chicken parody, while not hilarious, very chuckle-worthy throughout.
Dilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-08, 09:12   Link #3118
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Airline Uniforms Secretly Sold to Sex Clubs

I don't know whether to file this under Japanese Culture or here.

I was listening to the BBC and a story about JAL uniforms caught my ear. I did a quick search online and found this story. With JAL in bankruptcy, the company is concerned that their laid-off stewardesses will sell their uniforms to people wanting to use them for sex clubs. Since official JAL uniforms now command hundreds or even thousands or dollars in this after-market, I can understand why a newly laid-off stewardess might decide she needs to earn a little extra cash by selling her uniform.

Apparently in the past, JAL had strict rules requiring stewardesses who left the company to return their uniforms. In the wake of the bankrupcty and widespread lay-offs, JAL's having a harder time enforcing these rules.

Oh, and Ms. Sinclair's book (NSFW) on Japanese sex clubs, cited in the article, shows the wide range of venues these clubs reproduce. Despite its subject matter, it's apparently a serious art book published by Harry Abrams. One comment by a customer in the book well summarizes the appeal of these clubs: "Under the uniform of every stewardess, nurse, elevator girl, office lady, schoolgirl, and waitress is a naked woman."
Old 2010-04-12, 06:27   Link #3119
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?

So a Chinese Guy Walks Into a Bar, and Says He's Irish—Get It?
It Might Depend on Where You Live; Comedian Stumps the Crowd in China

Quote:
By CAROLYN CUI

No comedian wants to bomb in front of a big crowd. But Joe Wong, a chemist turned comic, is having a tough time with an audience of 1.3 billion.

When the 40-year-old Mr. Wong played the "Late Show With David Letterman" last year, people cracked up when he walked out and said, "Hi, everybody….So, I'm Irish." That appearance launched him on a tour of clubs around the U.S.

Chinese-American comedian Joe Wong draws from his experiences as an immigrant to get the crowds laughing.

Yet in China, where Mr. Wong grew up, people were puzzled from the start. "How come the first sentence, 'I'm Irish,' can make Americans laugh?" one viewer asked in the comments on a subtitled video circulating in China. Because everybody in America is from Ireland, someone theorized. "It has nothing to do with that," said a third. It's because being "Irish itself is hilarious."

China Central Television, the biggest TV network in the country, deemed his success in the U.S. curious enough that it dedicated a special program to him in December. The peg: He's the Chinese scientist who makes Americans laugh. While CCTV declared that Mr. Wong's success proves "humor has no boundaries," it concluded the program without showing any of his jokes.

Mr. Wong's first live gig in Beijing, in late 2008, was "not successful," he says. In America, he says, it's funny to poke fun at yourself. But in China, there's no humor in misfortune. The audience struggled to grasp the punch lines, and Mr. Wong recalls looking out on the blank faces of a "polite but serious" crowd.

"That was an unfunny routine," says Ding Guangquan, a Chinese comedian, who invited Mr. Wong to perform there.

One of the jokes he told at Beijing's Haidian Theater, Mr. Wong says, was about parking: "I'm not good at sports, but I love parallel parking. Because unlike sports, when I am parallel parking, the worse you are, the more people are rooting for you."

Joe Wong's comedy has landed him spots on U.S. TV, such as this one with Ellen DeGeneres, but he's not getting laughs back home in China.

That didn't get as many laughs in China as it does in the U.S., probably because Chinese drivers park wherever they want to, he says.

A widely followed blogger in China on cultural issues, He Caitou, says he decided not to recommend Mr. Wong to his 500,000 subscribers. His jokes are impossible for ordinary Chinese to get, he says. "If jokes need footnotes, it won't be funny at all," he says. "Except for his look, how else can we relate to him?"

Mr. Wong came to the U.S. in 1994, at 24, and earned a Ph.D. in biochemistry at Rice University. In 2001, he saw his first stand-up show. He was fascinated, but "only got half the jokes," he says. He took adult-education classes in stand-up comedy and started performing, while holding a day job as a researcher for a pharmaceutical company.

Mr. Wong isn't the first, of course, to find humor doesn't translate. Judy Carter, an American comedian and author of "The Comedy Bible," says she bombed when she did a gig for a Chinese audience in California. To set up a joke, she opened with "I just broke up with my boyfriend..." A collective sigh of sadness emanated around the room, she says.

Before a recent show in Hong Kong, Ms. Carter's hosts gave her a few rules of thumb: no physical comedy—it's not ladylike; no joking about the economy—too depressing; no riffs on marriage—too personal. And absolutely no dog jokes, lest she cast aspersions on Chinese eating habits.

She settled on a neutral topic—frustrations with newfangled technology. "Everyone hates technology," she says.

For generations, Chinese have enjoyed "Cross-Talk," a scripted routine typically with two comedians verbally jousting, eventually winding its way to a punch line.

But Cross-Talk is slowly losing its audience, says Wu Wenke, director of the folklore institute at the Chinese Academy of Arts in Beijing. Some productions that were once big hits are now considered vulgar and are banned by the government. Cross-Talk shows are "a disappointment," says Mr. Wu.

Younger audiences are starting to warm to the stand-up style, with a Chinese twist. There are footnotes: after the punch line comes an explanation of why it's funny.

In Shanghai, Zhou Libo's stand-up show has become a top event. His repertoire spans global warming, growing up poor and, that perennial crowd-pleaser, China's emergence as a global economic power.

He jokes about China's massive purchases of U.S. Treasury bonds: "I am really confused about why a poor guy lends money to the rich. We should just divide the money amongst ourselves," he says. "But on a second thought, each of us would only get a couple of dollars!" Then Mr. Zhou adds: "Because the population is so big."

While Mr. Wong has been panned in China, he has fans among English-speaking Chinese. On an Internet forum for Chinese living abroad, one person said his jokes accentuate stereotypes. Others defended him, with one saying he shows that not all Chinese are "paper nerds."

Last month, Mr. Wong performed before Vice President Joe Biden in Washington, earning a standing ovation at the Radio and Television Correspondents' Association dinner. To prepare, he read Mr. Biden's biography, he told the crowd, and, after meeting him, declared: "I think the book is much better."

Mr. Wong's approach is scientific. He tests hundreds of jokes in small venues: "Just like screening out cancer-related genes, sometimes only one out of 100 jokes is funny," he says.

And maybe even fewer in China.

Back home, Mr. Wong's dad is among those puzzled by his success. Huang Longji, who lives in an industrial city near China's border with North Korea, says he is proud of his son, but a career in comedy isn't what the retired engineer expected for his son.

"It's just like a black hen lays a white egg," he said.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-12, 12:03   Link #3120
AnimeFan188

Writer shocked at revelations of housewives addicted to online games

""I've never covered a subject that has raised as many questions as this," says
writer Yuki Ishikawa, speaking about her new book portraying the lives of
housewives addicted to online games."

See:

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/...na025000c.html
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
humor, news