AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2010-10-30, 12:42   Link #4001
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Suing for something like this is stupid enough IMO (accidents with kids can happen at any time), but that these people not only sue the mother, but her children as well is just sad.

But what makes it even worse is that the state of New York has some pretty asinine laws if this is actually legal.
While I agree suing kids is stupid, I really don't see why you shouldn't be able to sue the parents.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-30, 20:58   Link #4002
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where I can learn to be lonely.
Age: 30
Civil Suits: The Armchair Approach to Riches.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 01:19   Link #4003
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Age: 30
Send a message via Skype™ to Azumanga Davo
The compensation culture is verging on the ridiculous. C'mon, folks, it's time to grow a pair and admit accidents will happen.

EDIT: Hang on, she died 3 MONTHS after it happened? Who is to say it was the accident alone responsible for the death? At her age, old age is going to contribute... :/
__________________
Azumanga Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 01:42   Link #4004
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Just because accidents happen is no reason to be careless. You're not supposed to race bicycle on sidewalks.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 01:58   Link #4005
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Age: 30
Send a message via Skype™ to Azumanga Davo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Just because accidents happen is no reason to be careless. You're not supposed to race bicycle on sidewalks.
Good grief, the kid was 4. Want them to ride their bike on the road? I certainly wouldn't.
__________________
Azumanga Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 02:43   Link #4006
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Fürth (GER)
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
Suing for something like this is stupid enough IMO (accidents with kids can happen at any time), but that these people not only sue the mother, but her children as well is just sad.

But what makes it even worse is that the state of New York has some pretty asinine laws if this is actually legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
As stupid as suing them to begin with is, what I'm really confused over is the judge's ruling...
I think this is not about getting the children or parents held criminally liable. I assume this is about money. I have a private liability insurance policy that covers damages up to 50,000,000 € just for unpredictable cases like that. I guess such insurance is more important when you have children, because you cannot always control what they do, still you can be hold accountable for it in many circumstances. Anyway, the punitive damages often used in the US' private law can financially ruin those families if they do not have insurance - that is the actual problem in my oppinion.
Jinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 03:23   Link #4007
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I think this is not about getting the children or parents held criminally liable. I assume this is about money. I have a private liability insurance policy that covers damages up to 50,000,000 € just for unpredictable cases like that. I guess such insurance is more important when you have children, because you cannot always control what they do, still you can be hold accountable for it in many circumstances. Anyway, the punitive damages often used in the US' private law can financially ruin those families if they do not have insurance - that is the actual problem in my oppinion.
After the subprime crisis and the healthcare reform, who would trust insurance?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 04:01   Link #4008
flying ^
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Rush Limbaugh: Leave videogames alone! (this is real btw)

[BEGIN TRANSCRIPT]



Spoiler for :




[END TRANSCRIPT]
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 04:53   Link #4009
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Missus View Post
Good grief, the kid was 4.
Which is why I don't hold him responsible. I blame his mother. Who was right there watching him.

Quote:
Want them to ride their bike on the road? I certainly wouldn't.
Neither would I. All I said was that he shouldn't have raced.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 06:19   Link #4010
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
US police: Man calls taxi to make getaway after bank robbery, nabbed after smoke stop
http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/a39133.html

What, you just need to pretend to have a weapon for doing a hold-up ?
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 06:26   Link #4011
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post

What, you just need to pretend to have a weapon for doing a hold-up ?
Yes. If you were a cashier, would you take a chance with your life for the bank's money? Or, more probably, the money of some insurance company?
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 07:39   Link #4012
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Age: 30
Send a message via Skype™ to Azumanga Davo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Which is why I don't hold him responsible. I blame his mother. Who was right there watching him.


Neither would I. All I said was that he shouldn't have raced.
Well, unfortunately, kids do dumb things from time to time. The brain supposedly doesn't reach an age of maturity until around 16, the boffins say.

Hopefully common sense will prevail when the actual hearing takes place.
__________________
Azumanga Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 07:54   Link #4013
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Missus View Post
Well, unfortunately, kids do dumb things from time to time. The brain supposedly doesn't reach an age of maturity until around 16, the boffins say.
And that's why I call it a failure of adult supervision rather than a failure of judgment on the kid's part. The mother should bloody damn well have known better, even if the kid didn't. It's like having a dog bite people and then saying "Dogs will be dogs". Well, yeah, that's why dogs should be trained and/or restrained, as appropriate. Or the owner's liable.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 10:29   Link #4014
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And that's why I call it a failure of adult supervision rather than a failure of judgment on the kid's part. The mother should bloody damn well have known better, even if the kid didn't. It's like having a dog bite people and then saying "Dogs will be dogs". Well, yeah, that's why dogs should be trained and/or restrained, as appropriate. Or the owner's liable.
Then it is not exercising your rights to punch the dog when it bites you right?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 12:21   Link #4015
Kaijo
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
South Korean Cartoonists Cry Foul Over The Simpsons.

Might be somewhat relevant due to our anime bent here, although I haven't watched Simpsons in many years. I find the outcry amusing, though. For those who don't know, here is the youtube video of the Simpsons episode that got them in a tizzy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX1iplQQJTo

And note the panda, which means it's probably more of a take on China, then South Korea. Could also be North Korea, as apparently some South Korean animation workshops re-outsource there, even though they don't have pandas.

Banksy was responsible for the opening, and he's a well-traveled person known for his criticisms.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 12:30   Link #4016
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Age: 30
Send a message via Skype™ to Azumanga Davo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And that's why I call it a failure of adult supervision rather than a failure of judgment on the kid's part. The mother should bloody damn well have known better, even if the kid didn't. It's like having a dog bite people and then saying "Dogs will be dogs". Well, yeah, that's why dogs should be trained and/or restrained, as appropriate. Or the owner's liable.
Well, it's a fair point you bring up. But even then I'm fairly sure no parent could ever predict that their kid would kill a pedestrian in normal circumstances. It's just rotten luck for those involved, the kid, the parent and the old lady.

I can see it's getting a little heated on this subject in here, so I shall refrain from posting any more of my views with good grace.
__________________
Azumanga Davo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 18:12   Link #4017
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And that's why I call it a failure of adult supervision rather than a failure of judgment on the kid's part. The mother should bloody damn well have known better, even if the kid didn't. It's like having a dog bite people and then saying "Dogs will be dogs". Well, yeah, that's why dogs should be trained and/or restrained, as appropriate. Or the owner's liable.
That's not the point, is it? The point is that the children are held responsible for their actions by people who claim that 4-year-olds have the mindset of adults. The mothers are only sued as well, but only for the lack of proper supervision, not for the actions of their children (as should have been done).

Kids aren't adults. You can teach them to be careful and not do this or that, but you can't be guaranteed that they'll always listen, because kids like to have fun and sometimes go against what they're told. I'm pretty sure even you did things that your parents told you not to do.
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-31, 21:46   Link #4018
Rennir
Quietly Lurking
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Beneath the prodigious sky...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11565853

Quote:
Fiji has admitted losing the legal document confirming its independence from the United Kingdom. But does that threaten its existence as a state?

About a million people visit Washington DC's National Archives Experience each year, many wanting a glimpse of its prized exhibit - the American Declaration of Independence.

Dating from 1776, the parchment document is stored behind bullet-proof glass, in a guarded, humidity-controlled cabinet, to ensure its preservation for future generations.

Continue reading the main story
In today's Magazine

The transatlantic Halloween divide
Chapter 'n' worse
11th hour for the wristwatch?
Do you say 'haitch' or 'aitch'?
However, as Fiji celebrated the 40th anniversary of winning independence from the UK, its government admitted it had lost the legal Independence Order presented to ministers by Prince Charles in 1970.

And after five years of scouring files in government departments, it was forced to take the embarrassing step of asking its former colonial masters for a photocopy.

But when a country loses such a document, does the right to independence go with it?

Almost certainly not, according to Catherine Redgwell, professor of international law at University College London.

"If it's recognised as a state and fully participates in the international community, the loss of documents isn't going to affect its existence [as an independent state]."

The UK Parliament's Fiji Independence Act 1970 granted that to the Pacific nation, made up of 800-plus volcanic and coral islands.

Continue reading the main story
The Answer

If a state is recognised internationally, a missing document is unlikely to have any bearing on its independent status
Its legal constitution is also unlikely to be affected
In Fiji's case, its independence was conferred by a UK act of parliament
"On and after 10 October 1970 Her Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom shall have no responsibility for the government of Fiji," it read, before spelling out the nation's free powers to make laws.

Independence papers, meanwhile, are largely symbolic items.

In the same way that losing your birth certificate does not mean you cease to exist, the legitimacy of a state does not rest on a piece of paper, agrees Prof Roda Mushkat.

Neither should its loss affect a state's constitution, says the international law expert from Brunel University, west London.

"I cannot foresee any case where somebody would argue on the basis of constitutional law that Fiji is not an independent state," she says.

Continue reading the main story
WHO, WHAT, WHY?


A regular part of the BBC News Magazine, Who, What, Why? aims to answer some of the questions behind the headlines

Thankfully for Fiji - and any other states which mislay a vital document - copies of many can, in any case, be found at the UK's National Archives at Kew.

All are stored in repositories with controlled temperature and humidity, while some are stored in a safe room.

One recent beneficiary of this was research student Julia Gaffield, from Duke University in Durham, North Carolina.

In April, she came across Haiti's declaration of independence from France within the National Archives' colonial correspondence relating to Jamaica.

The second-oldest such document in the world, it was attached to a letter sent on 25 January 1804 by Edward Corbet, HM Agent for British Affairs, to Sir George Nugent, Lieutenant-Governor of Jamaica.

While several reprints had been made, researchers had spent years trying to find the original.

Given that Haiti has existed as an independent state for more than 200 years, that tale might give the residents of Fiji a little peace of mind.
__________________
Rennir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 02:58   Link #4019
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
That's not the point, is it? The point is that the children are held responsible for their actions by people who claim that 4-year-olds have the mindset of adults. The mothers are only sued as well, but only for the lack of proper supervision, not for the actions of their children (as should have been done).

Kids aren't adults. You can teach them to be careful and not do this or that, but you can't be guaranteed that they'll always listen, because kids like to have fun and sometimes go against what they're told. I'm pretty sure even you did things that your parents told you not to do.
I was answering a comment that the mother shouldn't be sued either, because it was "just an accident" and that it involved a small child. I'm quite willing to concede the absurdity of suing a four year old.
Anh_Minh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-01, 13:03   Link #4020
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Teenaged prankster shot dead after egging Mercedes
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1780903/
Ah, such great use of his right to carry firearm.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
humor, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.