AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-03-11, 15:17   Link #4541
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
I would say Americans like freedom of movement that is not quite provided by mass transit. Also the idea that time is money and the extra hour or so mass transit can put on your trip at times makes that clear...depending on if that is not countered by the cost of movement via car.
Having lived in a few cities where mass transit worked... I'd say this is an unfortunate fixation we have. The size of our country means we'll always need *some* sort of personal transport but large cities and commute corridors *need* to get out of this "addiction mode" with the status quo.

I have seen some very interesting 'people pod / smart road' solutions but that takes some political will and R&D that we as a country seem to be lacking anymore (looks back to the Interstate system project of the mid-20th C.).
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 15:20   Link #4542
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Having lived in a few cities where mass transit worked... I'd say this is an unfortunate fixation we have. The size of our country means we'll always need *some* sort of personal transport but large cities and commute corridors *need* to get out of this "addiction mode" with the status quo.

I have seen some very interesting 'people pod / smart road' solutions but that takes some political will and R&D that we as a country seem to be lacking anymore (looks back to the Interstate system project of the mid-20th C.).
not me, i bought my house very close to where my office and is also in walking distance of the grocery stores. i probably end up filling my car maybe 14 - 15 times a year i could careless how much you guys pay for gas.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 15:23   Link #4543
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
not me, i bought my house very close to where my office and is also in walking distance of the grocery stores. i probably end up filling my car maybe 14 - 15 times a year i could careless how much you guys pay for gas.
Yeah, that's one of the solutions.

The only problem I can see with that is the instability of "modern employment under our corporate idiot-masters". You'd hate to have to move every time some troll accountant makes the numbers look good for the quarterly report by laying off staff.

There's just a lot of mental modes we need to reject to actually solve some problems (or go back to modes that actually worked). Those modes benefit the very few at the expense of everyone else.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 15:41   Link #4544
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Yeah, that's one of the solutions.

The only problem I can see with that is the instability of "modern employment under our corporate idiot-masters". You'd hate to have to move every time some troll accountant makes the numbers look good for the quarterly report by laying off staff.

There's just a lot of mental modes we need to reject to actually solve some problems (or go back to modes that actually worked). Those modes benefit the very few at the expense of everyone else.
independent contractor - paid on commission only and can office where ever i want, except home.

the company call us business partners

i call it employees without benefits.
__________________

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2011-03-11 at 15:57.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 15:49   Link #4545
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
independent contractor - paid on comission only and call office where ever i want, except home.

the company call us business partners

i call it employees without benefits.
Yes, you would be correct.... or "temp slave". You could delude yourself with the term "mercenary" I suppose
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-11, 22:43   Link #4546
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Man dies after being run over by his own stolen car
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1939537/
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 09:48   Link #4547
Jeffry2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Age: 27
Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Justin Bieber unveils his wax figure!

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-31749_16...-10391698.html
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 10:34   Link #4548
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
After the official Lambo service center couldn't fix his Gallardo, a disgruntled wealthy driver decided to have the whole supercar wrecked up for World Consumer Rights Day:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12759961
http://www.wheels.ca/Consumer%20News/article/794507
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 11:47   Link #4549
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Ivy League-minded mom sues preschool for $19,000
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1944001/
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 11:58   Link #4550
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Ivy League-minded mom sues preschool for $19,000
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1944001/
It's double crazy: one, it's another example of using needless legal action for even the most trivial of things, and two, it shows that this mom is nuts about preordaining her child to enter Harvard.
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-16, 23:59   Link #4551
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Fiction met ‘gruesome’ reality for murder suspect, court hears
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1944136/
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 02:50   Link #4552
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
The bizarre Nazi book craze
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 03:28   Link #4553
FDW
AH.com Ambassador
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I Loled at this.
__________________
Blame Thande!
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 04:06   Link #4554
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
The person who wrote this article... I'm not sure rates the title of 'journalist'. They certainly didn't do their homework.

Of COURSE people are fascinated with evil - its incomprehensible and they want to understand its motivation. Why is Darth Vader much more a hit than the whiny Luke?

The Nazis, as horrible as they were, were also almost impossible to parody as they were so over-the-top anyway. They actually *were* looking for Atlantis, space weapons, and the Ark. They *were* trying to see if the occult would give them an edge. Some of them were certified space cadets of the scary kind.

The "craze" is not bizarre nor is it even new. The German war machine was spectacular in its prime and deserves to be studied by military historians no matter who was driving the bus, as was the Roman Empire, and the Persians, and the Mongols, and anyone else who was such a game-changing force.

My review is that the author of the article simply thought he'd get more eyeballs by using the words "nazi" with "craze" ..... pot kettle black

Speaking of the Roman Empire... Ninth Legion article of interest:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12752497
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 15:14   Link #4555
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The person who wrote this article... I'm not sure rates the title of 'journalist'. They certainly didn't do their homework.

Of COURSE people are fascinated with evil - its incomprehensible and they want to understand its motivation. Why is Darth Vader much more a hit than the whiny Luke?

The Nazis, as horrible as they were, were also almost impossible to parody as they were so over-the-top anyway. They actually *were* looking for Atlantis, space weapons, and the Ark. They *were* trying to see if the occult would give them an edge. Some of them were certified space cadets of the scary kind.

The "craze" is not bizarre nor is it even new. The German war machine was spectacular in its prime and deserves to be studied by military historians no matter who was driving the bus, as was the Roman Empire, and the Persians, and the Mongols, and anyone else who was such a game-changing force.

My review is that the author of the article simply thought he'd get more eyeballs by using the words "nazi" with "craze" ..... pot kettle black
While I don't think it's a very interesting topic either (might as well wonder about the Beatles "craze"), he does acknowledge that his so-called craze is decades old. Indeed, the question he poses is why it's so enduring. And he points out that "they were evil" isn't enough to explain it, as Stalin or Mao didn't elicit that kind of interest.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 15:42   Link #4556
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
While I don't think it's a very interesting topic either (might as well wonder about the Beatles "craze"), he does acknowledge that his so-called craze is decades old. Indeed, the question he poses is why it's so enduring. And he points out that "they were evil" isn't enough to explain it, as Stalin or Mao didn't elicit that kind of interest.
Stalin and Mao lacked the fashion styling the nazis had.... I'm not actually being totally goofy here. The Nazis were careful to pick style memes that exuded confidence, authority, power. They were pretty deft at choosing symbolic dress elements for that. They were masterful at appealing to the inner gods and demons. The Roman Empire is still a 'craze' for much the same reasons (and they were more successful at Pax Romana than the Nazis ever had a notion of).

Yeah, down in the content he admits something more truthful ... but as any newspaper editor will tell you - most readers read the headline and 1-5 paragraphs after that. So most articles of this type put all the inflammatory hyperbole up front and then the mea culpa in the middle and end.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-17, 15:47   Link #4557
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Civil liberties group supports polygamy in landmark court case
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1946313/
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 04:00   Link #4558
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Civil liberties group supports polygamy in landmark court case
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1946313/
Somewhere out there, SaintessHeart is dancing with joy.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 04:29   Link #4559
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Somewhere out there, SaintessHeart is dancing with joy.
Stop demonising me! It's....it's not like I......I support having multiple waifus!
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 08:22   Link #4560
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Stop demonising me! It's....it's not like I......I support having multiple waifus!
Lets just say than KiNA is a better candidate.
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
humor, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.