AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2007-10-28, 05:42   Link #281
serenade_beta
マジ天使

Quote:
Originally Posted by anselfir View Post
Calling a snake 'of the ceremony/ritual' is to say it is a spiritual/mystical snake, in much the same way you would call a monk or hermit 'holy' or 'spiritual.'

But of course, just as priests and holiness are ideas appreciable to western and christian sensibility, "ceremony" is a peculiar japanese phenomenon. This is why a literal translation would not appeal to western readers. A translation that best preserves meaning across culture might be, 'Mystic Snake' or "Shaman Serpent." A more colorful, fair or not, interpretation could be 'Dark/Sinister+Magical/Occult Serpent'
The things is, the translation makes it so that it isn't even a snake anymore, it's a festival now, thanks to the translation.

The problem isn't if it is literal or not, it's the fact that they changed it almost completely.

Kind of like how:

Flame of Heavens talks about flames while Flame Heaven would talk about Heaven...

-Tried to start a blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 10:54   Link #282
anselfir
Style Über Alles

yes i am aware of that.
Old 2007-10-28, 11:16   Link #283
~Greed~
He Who Defies Finality

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
They should be good enough to read and understand. There are indeed parts where the translation could have been better, but it isn't terrible.

One thing that bugged me about their translation was:

Sairei no Hebi

It basically seems to translate to Snake of the Festival, but the translator makes it:

Snake Festival

Yes...

We don't get a festive snake, we get a festival of snakes...

I thought they only talk about sairei no hebi in the later books. arent only book 1 and 2 out. if not can you give me a link to where I can buy all of the english books? i looked at amazon but could only find book one and 2......
thanks

tony
~Greed~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 13:16   Link #284
DeotoxSlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTAILNARUTO View Post
I thought they only talk about sairei no hebi in the later books. arent only book 1 and 2 out. if not can you give me a link to where I can buy all of the english books? i looked at amazon but could only find book one and 2......
thanks

tony
Only book one, and two are out in english.

sairei no hebi is mentioned in book two when they talk about the origins of the Haridan.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 13:25   Link #285
~Greed~
He Who Defies Finality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeotoxSlayer View Post
Only book one, and two are out in english.

sairei no hebi is mentioned in book two when they talk about the origins of the Haridan.
ah , I see
Old 2007-10-28, 17:17   Link #286
DeotoxSlayer

I was pretty sure that they weren't gonna call him the snake of the festival, but i was atleast hoping they would change it to sumthing that sounds better like the ceremonial Serpent, or sumthin like that.... at least it sounds better than Snake Festival...

Last edited by DeotoxSlayer; 2007-10-28 at 17:45.
DeotoxSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 19:26   Link #287
Kyuusaisha

Will be really funny when he introduces himself later as Snake Festival Yuji Sakai
Kyuusaisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 19:50   Link #288
Varda
Black Sword

Send a message via Yahoo to Varda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusaisha View Post
Will be really funny when he introduces himself later as Snake Festival Yuji Sakai
for me it's really cool
Varda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 20:17   Link #289
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638 Send a message via Skype™ to minhtam1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devard View Post
By suicide, do you mean it would anger the fans or...? Care to elaborate?
Suicide... as in Shana. There are two possible scenarios for a bad ending.

1. Yuji ends up dying along with the Snake Festival, whether Shana does it or not. If you think about it, the girl has gone through enough heartbreak already, and this will definitely force her to the point that she can't live with herself regardless of the outcome. Suicide may be extreme, but we can at least expect her to be affected long term.

2. Yuji dies during the battle. With Misaki City or wherever damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, Shana releases Tenpa Jyousai. Next thing you know, she's gone. (This one is less likely for a bad ending because we all know that Shana can handle Tenpa Jyousai.)
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-28, 22:16   Link #290
Aquifina

Here's a question for those who've read the novels.

I feel that the anime is fairly upbeat--not very dark or brooding at all. At least, not after the first few episodes, when Yuuji makes his peace with being a torch, even before he finds out he won't simply burn out. Lost of light moments, comedy, romance, some angst, but not too much, and even that of the generally harmless high school variety. I find anything other than a reasonably happy ending for the anime to be out of place, unless the current season veers off in directions I don't expect.

Is that true of the novels also? Would it be horribly off key to have a sad ending? Or are the novels more solemn, with all the back story material and the like?
Aquifina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 12:06   Link #291
Devard

Quote:
Originally Posted by minhtam2448 View Post
Suicide... as in Shana. There are two possible scenarios for a bad ending.
Both endings you described would be acceptable to me and I wouldn't really categorize them as "bad".

Quote:
Suicide may be extreme, but we can at least expect her to be affected long term.
Having her be under permanent/prolonged emotional pain would be a lot sadder than having her die. I'm not sure which I'd prefer.

Quote:
With Misaki City or wherever damaged to the point that it cannot be restored, Shana releases Tenpa Jyousai.
Why does she need to do this? Are you saying that the same thing that happened in the last episode would happen again with the overflowing of POE deal?

I am totally fine with, let's say, less morbid endings, as long as it makes sense.
Devard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-29, 14:11   Link #292
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

The thing is, I don't clearly understand what my second scenario is myself, but it is similar to that ordeal. In my opinion, the first scenario I presented makes much more sense.

I'd rather have a happy ending, though.
Old 2007-10-29, 14:21   Link #293
anselfir
Style Über Alles

A happy ending would look like this:

HECATE owns everything.

anyway, by the look of things, generic shounen style ending expected.

Last edited by anselfir; 2007-10-30 at 13:09.
anselfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-10-31, 08:50   Link #294
edgewalker00
ALL HAIL LELOUCH!

there are some questions that may be recycled over the previous posts but since im in thought and you guys seemed to have read the novels here they are:

1) has there been an announcement as to how many novels SnS would release before going bye bye T_T

2) in reference to SnS II (anime) is Konoe Fumina really hecate under an alias?

3) is the Sairei no Hebi a good guy or a bad guy? also according to wikipedia (all hail!) it was reborn with yuji... does that mean at one novel, yuji died?

4) aside from buying it, did anyone of you download the novel or read it online? if so, is it possible to share?

5) i read way back (previous posts) that shana was curious as to how children are created... she's a human right and she was taught as to how humans are made way back in her training... right? ~_~
Old 2007-10-31, 11:05   Link #295
ashlay
the red string of fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgewalker00 View Post
there are some questions that may be recycled over the previous posts but since im in thought and you guys seemed to have read the novels here they are:

1) has there been an announcement as to how many novels SnS would release before going bye bye T_T

2) in reference to SnS II (anime) is Konoe Fumina really hecate under an alias?

3) is the Sairei no Hebi a good guy or a bad guy? also according to wikipedia (all hail!) it was reborn with yuji... does that mean at one novel, yuji died?

4) aside from buying it, did anyone of you download the novel or read it online? if so, is it possible to share?

5) i read way back (previous posts) that shana was curious as to how children are created... she's a human right and she was taught as to how humans are made way back in her training... right? ~_~
-no. though some have suggested 17 may be the last. still, that's just idle speculation.
-the novel konoe fumina is nothing but a sketch by Noizi Ito of Hecate in a school uniform at the end of volume 8
-well, that is the big question. come back in mid november or something like that.
-no, because that's against the forum's rules.
-no. but, Chigusa is apparently pregnant and Shana learning about it was apparently a plot point in volume 13.
Old 2007-10-31, 11:12   Link #296
anselfir
Style Über Alles

for 3, i thought yuji dying and then > torch is one of the the basic premises of the story.
Old 2007-10-31, 18:31   Link #297
~Greed~
He Who Defies Finality

does anyone have pictures of SOF yuji? , or does he not look diffrent then the normal yuji? oh and does anyone know if the VIZ plans to finish the novels?

thanks for all the help

bye the way ive read somewhere that
Spoiler:
, is that true?

Last edited by ~Greed~; 2007-11-01 at 10:14.
Old 2007-10-31, 18:43   Link #298
RiXeD
excuse me wtf r u desu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURTAILNARUTO View Post
bye the way ive read somewhere that Ike died , is that true?
learn2SPOILERtag

also, learn some english

and LURK MOAR: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...6&postcount=15
Old 2007-10-31, 18:45   Link #299
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

I don't recall VIZ dropping the Shakugan no Shana project.
Old 2007-11-01, 00:54   Link #300
edgewalker00
ALL HAIL LELOUCH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlay View Post
Spoiler for novel ike...important plot point...read at own risk:
Spoiler for !!:

so may i still ask, the 1st season of SnS covered which novels and the 2nd season would probably cover... ?

Tags
dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, romance, seinen, shounen