AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-06, 18:06   Link #61
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I just think the characterization could be done a bit better in some bits (esp. regarding Yuu)
I actually like Yuu a lot, but I think I need to see more of a connection to Karasu, personality-wise. I'd also like more focus on the Haruka/Yuu relationship. The Karasu/Haruka one is incredibly strong and really carries the show, but considering that it's supposed to be founded in Haruka/Yuu, its basis is a little weak.

Hmm, I seem to remember it being stronger in the beginning, but I think the splitting to focus on Isami/Yuu and Haruka/Ai has hurt it somewhat, even though it made for some good drama.

And, as much as I love Miho, she doesn't really seem to have much of a purpose aside from being weird and funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Certainly, the storyline and the show in general are more, shall we say, marketable in the West.
I strongly agree with this. Even the look of the area and houses are more Western, even though it refects the real Hakodate.

This sounds really strange, so I've always been hesitant to bring it up in these discussions, but since we're talking about Western appeal and all...

Noein kinda reminds me of an 80's kid's sci-fi movie (though the science is much much better in Noein). We have a group of kids that have clearly defined personalities who have gotten caught up in something very big. I know that's a very general interpretation, but it's also a matter the sense of atmosphere.

Last edited by musouka; 2006-01-06 at 18:16.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 19:26   Link #62
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappster
I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here. Why would the popularity (or rather lack of it in this case) affect your amazement factor? Are you saying you would find it more/less amazing if it was more popular?....
I guess I didn't make myself clear. Because the show continues to amaze me so much, I wondered if the target (?) Japanese audience was feeling the same way. I didn't mean to say that how they felt would affect how I felt. I am just interested to know. I suppose that in the back of my mind was the thought that if they didn't like it, it was less likely to be licensed and similar series were less likely to be produced.

I guess I have to take another look at Fantastic Children, since MrProphet praised it. I originally found the animation so off-putting that I couldn't watch -- not "bad" just unpleasant (to me). Maybe some people feel the same way about Noein (though I can't imagine how, lol).

And wao, I will persist in praising that post. It wasn't logical and orderly but it communicated a lot about the show and your feelings. It was more in the spirit of Hunter S. Thompson or James Joyce than like a newspaper review or an essay.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 19:58   Link #63
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I wouldn't go as far as "praise" Fantastic Children...

Truth to be told, I don't really like Takashi Nakamura AT ALL. However, that being said, he really IS a very talented man, both as a director and as a stylist, and if you can stomach his art (which I often cannot, I admit), then his stories are definitely worth trying...

His works are smart and complex. If you liked Noein besides the battles and moe-Haruka, he might interest you.
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-06, 23:23   Link #64
wao
OK.

A bit of OT: Fantastic Children has got very strange designs, but I think the first 10 episodes at least were one of the best-directed/storyboarded episodes in a long time. It's not just me, others also feel that they really managed to capture the sense of something going completely strangely wrong in a facade of normality. There's the art director behind many Ghibli movies working on this and it really shows: the colour sense is also great. The one problem with the first 10 eps is that it might just seem a bit too hard to figure out exactly what is going on and you wouldn't empathise with the Belfort Children. But once you know just a bit about them it's really quite admirable how they can express the feeling of endless disappointment and sorrow that they feel.
As for the 2nd half of the show, however, I wouldn't say it was as good (this view was also expressed by Japanese fans) because it started delving into theatrics/poorly conceived physical actions (Even BluWacky, another big fan of the show, couldn't help but comment on the SHAKING of the characters.). Also the storyline wasn't as good anymore and they made the mistake of letting all the secrets spill earlier on. (and I still hate the ending!)
But I can still give the entire show the credit that I haven't seen a show much like it before. It's worth watching unless you really get put off by the animation (sorry).

And while there aren't many fans of Noein because it's on such a minor station and some can't stand the changing looks, the fans that are there look very dedicated to it - it isn't your usual weak-plotted generic moe show, it's got a complex and interesting storyline, generally interesting characters, excellent action and settings/designs and so on... Everyone watching it seems to be largely pleasantly surprised by it, many going on to say it's the season's #1 anime (if not, one of the top). There was a lot of positive reaction to episode 12 (although, truthfully, some didn't like the sketchy lines, yet they had to praise the smoothness of it all).

I still suspect some people are being turned off by the basic premise ... they might just think "oh, another one of those kids-transported-to-other-world things, PASS"

edit: I'd really love to translate some of the stuff on the blog. But I still feel rather (irrationally!!) discouraged because all the stuff I did went poof!, and yes, it's something that couldn't be helped but I can't make myself want to put in a lot of time and energy right now to go do it. Anyway this week I've been really really busy with school. I'm going to havea lot less time this year. ...
Old 2006-01-07, 17:34   Link #65
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Just saw episode 10. Not as interesting as the others, my opinion. But it was pretty good, the battle was very well animated and I really want to see ep12. Too bad my japanese are really weak.

Wao, I really appreciated your work in the lost thread. You could make a blog or something, I think your translated info is very interesting, especially for other fans of Noein like me. I'm glad we have members like you to support this wonderful show. Keep up the good work!

((I think we should make a Noein fan club or something, anyway...))
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 01:23   Link #66
Glitch87

yes, episode 10 was pretty good. although the viewers have mostly figured out that fukurou is isami, i cracked up when fukurou was like "impossible" or how do you say it in japanese? anyways.... funny.

the battle was awesome but i wish it would have concluded. it seemed epic like a final clash with atori.

im dying to see this action in ep 12 that ppl are raving about... could anyone post some teaser pics from ep 12 raw? or is that not allowed. anywho.
Glitch87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 00:30   Link #67
Glitch87

cmon ppl this series deservs more discussion -_-;........

ep 11 was pretty good. isami's older brother kicks ass. rolling bomber had me rofl.
Glitch87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 04:55   Link #68
Altharion
Pirate A

Send a message via MSN to Altharion
i think kosagi is isami's little sister and kuina is his older brother.
Altharion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 09:50   Link #69
wao
OK.

Interestingly, the preview pics for ep 13 (airing in a few hours time) changed all of a sudden at the main site That 2nd picture is very intriguing... and the 4th... DON'T go there if you haven't watched ep 12 by the way!! Or if you want ep 13 spoilers.

BTW regarding Atori in ep 13

Spoiler:

EDIT: Wondering where the missing episode preview for ep 13 was at the end of ep 12? Well, it was on the online broadcast, and you can find the free stream of the preview here. (.asx file, opens in WMP...) I hope that link works. It's a bit late though!!
Old 2006-01-10, 10:47   Link #70
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Episode 11 was darn good, just awesome.

Spoiler:

I'm really looking forward to episode 12, especially after all these good comments. The animation looks great...
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 20:24   Link #71
kle891

did 13 air today?
kle891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 21:27   Link #72
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Yep... going to watch it right now.

Spoiler:

Last edited by MrProphet; 2006-01-10 at 22:28.
Old 2006-01-10, 22:59   Link #73
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Great episode there. Not as dramatic as the previous one, but still they managed not to let the tension die and continued with the edge-of-your-seat action and suspense.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-10, 23:13   Link #74
kle891

Spoiler:
kle891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-10, 23:25   Link #75
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kle891
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-11, 00:35   Link #76
Splendiferous
To Shangrila or Bust!

In answer to Mr. Prophet's 3rd comment:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Prophet
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Splendiferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 00:57   Link #77
Splendiferous
To Shangrila or Bust!

Okay, and comments on Mr. Prophet's 1st and 2nd Comment

Quote:
Quote:
Spoiler:
1st Comment/Question
Spoiler:

2nd Comment /Question
Spoiler:
Old 2006-01-11, 01:05   Link #78
PastPrime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Lucy & Nyu, reincarnated as diclonius twins.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 01:13   Link #79
Splendiferous
To Shangrila or Bust!

Sorry to seperate this into a bunch of posts, but I have a question for Wao:

You mentioned this speculation:
Quote:
Spoiler:
Here is my question:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Splendiferous; 2006-01-11 at 01:29.
Old 2006-01-11, 01:26   Link #80
Splendiferous
To Shangrila or Bust!

Posted by Altharion:
Quote:
I think kosagi is isami's little sister and kuina is his older brother.
Well from the official website we know that in Lacryma, Kuina is 32, and Kosagi is 25.

In the 'present' timespace, that would make:

Kosagi (= Fumiko - Isami's Younger Sister) = 10
Isami = 12
Kuina ( = ?? - Isami's Older Brother) = 17

So:
Spoiler: