AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2006-04-22, 15:09   Link #21
tsuraramai

Send a message via AIM to tsuraramai
How do you know it's a "hit"? It isn't even out yet :P
tsuraramai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 15:19   Link #22
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuraramai
How do you know it's a "hit"? It isn't even out yet :P
What was the last Ghibli feature film that wasn't a hit? Neko no Ongaeshi?
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 15:42   Link #23
tsuraramai

Send a message via AIM to tsuraramai
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
What was the last Ghibli feature film that wasn't a hit? Neko no Ongaeshi?
Which was only 2 films ago

Not to say I don't think it will do well ... just playing devil's advocate.

It can't be a "hit" until it's opened ^^/
tsuraramai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 15:53   Link #24
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Statistically non-Miyazaki Ghibli output fares unevenly at the box office. Porco Rosso is the exception among the Miyazaki canon I think; it didn't do as well as his other hits.

It will be interesting to see how the audience will approach Gedo Senki; because it's by 'Son of Miyazaki' or just because it's the latest Ghibli movie experience.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-22, 16:07   Link #25
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

The only Ghibli films that were not helmed by Miyazaki or Takahata are Whisper of the Heart and its sequel - Neko no Ongaeshi. And Miyazaki has had a pretty big involvement in Whisper of the Heart too.

So, I don't think we can really speak about statistics. There just hasn't really been a new wave of directors in Ghibli. Everything is still micromanaged by Senior. Goro Miyazaki is pretty much President Suzuki's attempt to keep Ghibli alive once Hayao retires (which would be soon, if it didn't happen already).

They actually already tried to do this with Howl's Moving Castle, because that was originally meant to be directed by Mamoru Hosoda, not Miyazaki. Well, that didn't work out, so now they are pushing Goro.

If Gedo Senki doesn't stand on its own two feet with minimal involvement from Papa, Studio Ghibli is pretty mich done for. There's an abundance of technical talent there, but no creative talent to carry a major production through in the style of Hayao Miyazaki or Isao Takahata (who already retired).
Old 2006-04-22, 16:24   Link #26
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
The only Ghibli films that were not helmed by Miyazaki or Takahata are Whisper of the Heart and its sequel - Neko no Ongaeshi. And Miyazaki has had a pretty big involvement in Whisper of the Heart too.
You missed Ocean Waves directed by Tomomi Mochizuki, but let's not split hairs...
Quote:
So, I don't think we can really speak about statistics. There just hasn't really been a new wave of directors in Ghibli. Everything is still micromanaged by Senior. Goro Miyazaki is pretty much President Suzuki's attempt to keep Ghibli alive once Hayao retires (which would be soon, if it didn't happen already).

They actually already tried to do this with Howl's Moving Castle, because that was originally meant to be directed by Mamoru Hosoda, not Miyazaki. Well, that didn't work out, so now they are pushing Goro. If Gedo Senki fails, Ghibli may end up like Disney, surviving on it's back catalogue.

If Gedo Senki doesn't stand on its own two feet with minimal involvement from Papa, Studio Ghibli is pretty mich done for. There's an abundance of technical talent there, but no creative talent to carry a major production through in the style of Hayao Miyazaki or Isao Takahata (who already retired).
Well this is the sad truth isn't, Miyazaki Senior has only a few movies left in him and he prefers making shorts for his beloved museum anyway. Toshio Suzuki wants (prays perhaps) Goro will be Ghibli's saviour.

I also wonder if, when the final cut is viewed, it is such utter garbage that they try to draft in Miyazaki Senior to make it good. From what we can gather from Goro's very squeamish blogs, his father would tell them to get stuffed.
Old 2006-04-22, 16:38   Link #27
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

He-he... when this whole thing about Senior not approving of Junior's career choice leaked out, Goro actually wrote a little rant in his blog about how he doesn't appreciate his dad butting in and has had quite a few arguments with him about it.

So, yeah, I don't think Hayao will help.

And I don't think he will be making any more movies, honestly. After Mononoke Hime, he said that he is retiring. Then Suzuki begged him to do Sen to Chihiro. Then he announced his retirement once again. Then Mamoru Hosoda left Ghibli for Toei, so Miyazaki had to do Howl.

Honestly, I think he wants to rest. Wanted to rest for quite a while. Maybe he'll do another movie if Suzuki makes him once again, but I don't think it would be based on his own desires.

And honestly, the last 3-4 Miyazaki movies, though amazing by industry's (quite low) standards, were nowhere near his best.

PS: Though, personally, I thought that he never came close to besting Nausicaa, his first film, so take that last comment with a grain of salt. 8)
Old 2006-04-22, 16:59   Link #28
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
He-he... when this whole thing about Senior not approving of Junior's career choice leaked out, Goro actually wrote a little rant in his blog about how he doesn't appreciate his dad butting in and has had quite a few arguments with him about it.
I know, it made for a quite enlightening and somewhat uncomfortable read. The 'Zero Marks as a Father, Full Marks as a Director' entry was a little too much dirty laundry for me though.

Quote:
PS: Though, personally, I thought that he never came close to besting Nausicaa, his first film, so take that last comment with a grain of salt. 8)
I feel the same way about Laputa
Old 2006-04-22, 21:03   Link #29
wao
OK.

Regarding the wave - or lack - of new directors, I believe on GhibliWorld there is an interview with Isao Takahata where he says he is actually working on a new project. There's also an adaptation of one of Kenji Miyazawa's books directed by Kazuo Oga, who is a l33t art director (not the first time an art director got into general directing, though I can expect the storyboards to look fantastic!)

I don't suppose Ghibli will ever, ever break out from making TV series though.... Production I.G. did and the results aren't all that great, I think they exposed themselves as not actually being that good - the movies are great because of the longer production time, and their collection of good freelance animators who don't pop up for the TV series...
Old 2006-04-22, 21:32   Link #30
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Yes, here it is.

Quote:
“This is true, I have been working on several projects. The first project is a traditional epic story about the large war between clan lords during the 12th century.

I have also been busy with a project about the Ainu, a ethnic minority who live in the northern part of Japan (Hokkaido) from who it is said the Japanese people originated from. They have their own culture and left an oral literature. They also have remarkable lyric poetry and I would very much like to adapt one of these poetries.

Then the final project I’ve been working on. Perhaps you know that “Gauche the Cellist” is an adaptation of one of the works by Kenji Miyazawa. Another project I’ve been working on is another adaptation on one of his works. It wrote many texts and I would very much like to adapt on of these projects, but they’re all still in their research stage. Unfortunately, they don’t advance much and I cannot tell you when they will be finished or even if they will actually be made.”
http://www.ghibliworld.com/news.html#2203

Takahata look incredibly "young" for a man who is over 70 years old. And I could swear I've heard Miyazaki say that his friend has already retired. But, I guess, you can't keep artists like that down. 8)
Old 2006-04-23, 00:53   Link #31
Xinil
Blargh

Send a message via ICQ to Xinil Send a message via AIM to Xinil
I'm a huge fan of the Earthsea books. I've read all of them many, many times. I'm anxious to see what Ghibli can do for this story.

Tried watching the trailer numerous times. It stutters along when there's movements on the scene. Can't figure out why. Tried it on multiple computers. Blah.
Old 2006-04-28, 19:37   Link #32
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Le Guin posted a synopsis of Gedo Senki on her website.

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/GedoSenkiSynopsis.html

Seems like it will be a pretty literal retelling of "The Farthest Shore", with only minor inclusions from "Tehanu". Which is great because I pretty much hated Tehanu for its feministic reversal and devaluation of everything that Earthsea stood for.

But if it's just "The Farthest Shore", then it's all good. Not my favourite book from the cycle (that honor goes to "The Wizard of Earthsea"), but still a good one.
Old 2006-04-29, 00:44   Link #33
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Looks like they really fuesd the books together like Tehanu and Arren seem like the same age aren't they like 10 years apart at least in the books and it seems like there is some kind of love thing with them LOL. I read the books along time ago all I remember is Tehanu's half burnt face. I don't recall much.

I love the music for this BTW much more than any music from all the Ghibli movies.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 06:13   Link #34
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

There's a second trailer now available. (14mb). This one has some glimpses of the dragons.

It's hard to imagine a Ghibli movie being controversial but Gedo has already caused a lot of debate on the Nausicaa.net mailing list. This seems to stem from a comment made by Suzuki in which he suggested Goro to adopt his father's style of characters because they could not find suitable designs using Le Guin's descriptions.

The problem for Suzuki was that the characters are largely non-Caucasian and have no hair. So they took the decision to opt for elder Miyazaki's style of character designs over those described in Le Guin's original book. It seems the decision was taken because they were behind schedule and wanted characters that would appeal to their key audience.

Unfortunately this has upset a lot of people. Some very personally it seems. One of Le Guin's issues with the dire TV adaptation was the lack of black or dark skinned characters matching her descriptions. It will be interesting what she says whens he sees the final cut of the movie...
Old 2006-04-29, 12:59   Link #35
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
That trailer looked cool! I wouldn't care if the movie was close to the books or not because I hardly remember them and this looks to be like it is a fanfiction like movie. Sort of like teh AIR movie take.

Their skin tones don't look caucasian to me. I like the designs ^-^.
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 13:31   Link #36
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

It's a bit hard to judge the closeness of the movie to the book at this stage. The races also present a difficulty, because Earthsea actually doesn't have a single race.

Ged should not be milk-white blonde guy, but he isn't black either. The only truly black people in the books whom I remember are Ogion and Ged's friend from Roke. Ged himself should be somewhat "olive-skinned" like a southern European or like a Native American. A bit darker, but not black or brown. I think the anime did it correctly.

The only Caucasian people in the Earthsea are the Kargs, which means that Tenar should be white-skinned. She does look a bit Scandinavian in the movie, so she gets a pass as well.

We should also consider the fact that anime style doesn't easily lend itself to racial differentiation. Most Asian people in anime look exactly like Europeans, so I don't think that the way that people are presented in Gedo Senki is in any way wrong in the context of the Earthsea books or the anime tradition in general.
Old 2006-04-29, 13:39   Link #37
wao
OK.

The trailer looks alright, it's just that it's exactly the same as my impression of the rest of the film so far: simply alright. There isn't any spark of brilliance or cool new things, but I guess it's worthless to wish that out of Ghibli. Well, I guess it's what the audience would want to see and what Ghibli's brand is about... It's not like it's bad per se, unless it turns out like Howl's.

Though I have to say that the female voice actress whatshername, new though she may be, sounds rather flat... that one line of her saying "Inochi wo taisetsu ni shinai yatsu nante, daikirai" (or something like that) felt um... rather forced, I felt.

Well, I hope this comes to Singapore not too long after the Japanese release. Howl's aired in November IIRC and we got it around February/March the year after, which is good considering many places don't get it at all or get it a year later... Since they screen Ghibli movies here I'll actually be a good citizen and wait for them to do that rather than get a nastily illegal camrip or leaked tester or whatever.
Old 2006-04-29, 13:51   Link #38
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Though I have to say that the female voice actress whatshername, new though she may be, sounds rather flat... that one line of her saying "Inochi wo taisetsu ni shinai yatsu nante, daikirai" (or something like that) felt um... rather forced, I felt.
Her name is Aoi Teshima. I think this is her very first work as a seiyuu. Same with Arren's VA.
Old 2006-04-30, 07:11   Link #39
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Her name is Aoi Teshima. I think this is her very first work as a seiyuu. Same with Arren's VA.
Yep, she's a newcomer and she also sings the main theme. You can hear it at the official site which has just been launched (Japanese only at the moment). I think the lyrics are on the site too.

The soundtrack is by Tamiya Terashima, whose only work I own is the rather good Mahou ShoujoTai Arisu/Tweeny Witches soundtrack. Whilst very well composed, it suffered from being a bit overly synthy. It sounded more like a game soundtrack I thought. Hopefully with a full orchestra Terashima will produce something suitably majestic...
Old 2006-05-05, 11:58   Link #40
Hunter Nin.

You can see the full synopsis of the film on Le Guin's site, I'm not sure what part of the books this is from as I haven't read them...

Just to clarify, I wouldn't suggest going here if you don't want to be spoilt.

http://www.ursulakleguin.com/GedoSenkiSynopsis.html

Tags
ghibli