AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-04-12, 12:55   Link #121
Archuka
A territory most absolute
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Finland
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia
My point has always been that you are comparing this series too closely to the game, concerning yourselves with picking it apart and critiquing each piece instead of wondering why the anime series was put together the way it was. It's not the game. It's the anime series. Why don't you finish the series first before comparing it to the game? All right, why don't we try comparing something to the game?
We were excited about the anime because it's based on the game.

Quote:
Chapter 1: Laharl's training.

That's a game chapter. Chapter 1 isn't even part of the story. It's a training run. I find it ironic that you're saying the introduction's storyline sucks compared to the game's, when the game's introduction doesn't even have a damned story. If the first episode was a training run, would you like it?
Why do you have to be such an ass?

Obviously that's not what anyone meant. Flonne waking up Laharl in a crypt instead of Etna doing it in the castle are major, major changes. An even more drastic change was the introduction of Gordon and his crew right in the beginning. In my opinion their entrance did not fit where it was placed.

Quote:
Why do you think the story was rearranged? Perhaps they were thinking of the people who already played the game and didn't want to give them something they spoiled before they saw it. Perhaps a new storyline is interesting. Or, perhaps you were expecting a climax during the introduction, when those usually come after half the series has been completed.
Perhaps the craptastic Naruto fillers that have been running for months now were added to give the manga readers something they weren't expecting? I don't think so.

I'm probably slightly biased, but I very much prefer the beginning of the original story to what we saw in ep1. I'm not bashing the changes because they are changes but because I don't think they work.

Quote:
The storyline seemed rushed, right? So, a lot must've happened. Never mind the fact that we have nothing but Flonne and Laharl exchanging words during the first half. Perhaps you should explain why it felt "rushed".
Because they didn't even properly finish the introductions of Laharl and Flonne when we already have a spaceship (didn't really like the CG on it either) with Gordon in it crash on them. It just didn't flow right to me. <--opinion

Quote:
You don't see quality. You see taste. "Good quality" and "bad quality" are just aspects of taste. You know quality when you see it? No. You know what you LIKE when you see it. Something being inherently good and appearing good are two different things. The gargoyles didn't move their mouths when they spoke? Ever think of why they used that style of animation?
You're somewhat right here. What is quality and what is not is based on a person's taste, however, there is a difference.

High quality animation, for example, means smooth movement, many details and good visual solutions because that's what most people prefer over the opposite. In Disgaea's case it seemed like the show has a very low budget.

High quality comedy would be something that people find funny, not something people find boring or stupid. There is of course no rules on what is funny and what is not, but generally people tend to have similar tastes in this category. If it wasn't true, there would be no such thing as comedy.

Quote:
Furthermore, you're trying to compare two things: the game and the series, without considering the possibility that they could be two different entities (i.e. alternate universe) and that there could be a very good reason why. You said you liked it because it was Disgaea, yet you think that the animation, storyline, character introductions, and several other aspects are unappealing. It's like saying you like a hamburger you just ate even though it was oily, greasy, and tasted like ass. Why did you like it? Because it's a hamburger. According to your logic, you'd like anything with "Disgaea" emblazoned on it, so why are you complaining?
I like Disgaea because of its character designs (and art style), its world design and its style of humour. Those three are elements that the animators need to try to utilize or there would be no point in calling it Disgaea at all.

Obviously I'm not drawn to the series because of the name. The stuff you post is really insulting, you know.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 13:04   Link #122
NightWish
Crushcrushcrush
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Age: 34
Heated debate about the show is fine, but can we please avoid directing the flames at each other. Those who feel the need to use expletives might also do well to think of alternative words. I don't want to edit posts.
__________________
Lay down on the ground, and let the tears run from you, crying to the grass and trees and heaven, finally on your knees; Let me live again…
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 14:34   Link #123
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green²
Spoiler for Ep.1 NSFW²:



http://www.rpguru.com/series.php/759.html
I'm talking about the raw...

I'm talking about the other torrent sites...
__________________
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 15:04   Link #124
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Anyone know the difference between version 1 and version 2 of the AnimeU releases of ep 1?
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 15:08   Link #125
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia
Poorly done fights. You mean fight, right? You've only seen one fight. You've seen many sequences with mass chaos and damage ensuing, but only one fight. Laharl's confrontation with Gordon wasn't a fight. That was a "warm-up". Laharl catching that guy's sword with his bare hands wasn't a fight. What kind of fight lasts 3 seconds (the time it takes to activate Blazing Knuckle)? What kind of fights are you comparing them to? Dragonball fights? Fights where the character's introduction alone takes a whole season? Whatever.

Poor animation? What's this mean? What do you want, Gonzo 3-D effects? If that's what you want, maybe we can petition the production studio. Maybe they can give us the 3-D effects, and we can make 600-megabyte releases for you guys. Hey, what's 4x the download time when you guys get all the cool, state-of-the-art special effects?

Messed-up storyline? Ever heard of "don't judge a book by its cover"? You barely scratched the surface and you think you're Roger Ebert. Psh. You haven't even seen 10% of the goddamned series. Messed-up compared to the game? What game? Oh, the one Atlus released, right? The American release of Disgaea? I thought you guys didn't like the American release. First, you say that American release sucks, and then you're complaining because the anime doesn't resemble it. And, don't give me that crap about playing the Japanese version. The Japanese track wasn't included, and I don't expect any of you Japanophiles to know the difference between the two even if it were included.

Everything seems so average? Compared to what? Fullmetal Alchemist, with all 52 episodes finished? Magikano? Shuffle? Hantsuki? In case you were wondering, the last three received the same reviews at first. What review? "OMG ANOTHER HAREM ANIME SO FUCKING BORING OMGWTFLOL" And, then we literally had to cut down on the bandwidth for those because you guys kept sucking them up like you were a fleet of Oreck vacuum cleaners. Our DDL page literally broke within minutes.

You guys aren't reviewing the anime. How do I know? You graded this thing a long time before it was released. I checked the AniDB database. 20 votes with an average of 9.2 were cast BEFORE any raw was released. All you did grade your expectations; the hype. "This anime sounds cool, so I'll give it a review before I see it." After a few weeks, when you do see it, "OMG THIS ANIME ISN'T WHAT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE IT SUCKS." Most of you are just equating "difference" to a lack of quality. Don't give it a bad grade because you disillusioned yourself. Don't give it a low rating because you were stupid and didn't know any better. Give it a bad grade because it deserves a bad grade, not because you were clueless.
I never play the game. i never even heard of it till the anime came out. i don't know a thing about the game story. Animation is 3rd on my list of whats most important in a anime behind Story and character.

And I find Disgaea Ep1 to be very avg. I will wait till a few more eps comes out then re-watch it to see if it is worth my time. But so far Ep1 haven't given me any reason to continue watching it. There are far far better shows whose Ep1 has immediatly caught my attentation that I will be following up on.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 15:34   Link #126
Durante
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Age: 30
As someone who played (and immensely enjoyed) the game, I don't think all the changes are for the worse. For example, the Flonne wake-up scene is different from, but at least as funny as, the one in the game. However, the super-early introduction of the Gordon-crew seems somewhat rushed to me as well, and I can't currently see how they will handle the pendant storyline nearly as well as the original with their set-up. Regardless of that, the episode was somewhat entertaining, and Mid-Boss still has to show up...
Durante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 17:04   Link #127
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
WHY HASN'T ANYONE SAID A WORD ABOUT THE SECOND EPISODE YET?

I torrented it hours ago!
w00t! I thought episode 2 was pretty funny. Some quick random screen caps for Episode 2:


.: Click me! Click me! :.

Please note: those are randomly chosen screen caps by the Media Player cyborg. Some might not be that great. Chopp'n animated GIFs from it as I type this...

Last edited by Catgirls; 2006-04-12 at 17:50.
Catgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 17:34   Link #128
Daniel E.
AniMexican!
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Monterrey N.L. Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Anyone know the difference between version 1 and version 2 of the AnimeU releases of ep 1?
I haven't see ver. 2, but another member commented the following a couple of pages ago:

They fixed the typesetting (its actually readable now!), that one line ~10 min and some of the typos in the op. Otherwise, it seems to be pretty much the same... oh no wait it isnt. There is randomly added -'s for characters. i.e "There is no way..." became "There is -o way".
__________________
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 17:41   Link #129
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
Anyone know the difference between version 1 and version 2 of the AnimeU releases of ep 1?
I saw what looked to me like a note from (again, I'm guessing) the editor to the translator within the subtitles of the first version. I assumed there would be a Version 2 after that.
__________________
Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 19:24   Link #130
Gadwin
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
[Watched - RAW of Disgaea - Us +1, Mid-Boss 0!]
The Second Episode of Disgaea was in my opinion brilliant, i think things are starting to pick up now.
The Beauty Baron was pretty funny.

AU keep up the good work, your heros for just being the only ones that'll sub the damn series.
Gadwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 20:12   Link #131
Chiibi
Lolli for loli :D
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: in a boring place you will not want to go to
Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
I can't wait for the fansub of episode 2!.
__________________
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-12, 22:06   Link #132
Sophia
Queen Bitch
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
It'll be finished this week, along with the last ep. of Magikano and 2nd episode of Soul Link. Furthermore, we will be releasing a v3 of ep. 1 which hopefully doesn't include any errors within or beyond out control.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 09:51   Link #133
skanjos
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
i would like to thank anime-u for subbing disgaea.i am a HUGE fan of the game,so like most of the disgaea fans i too didnt enjoy the first episode(i dont say it was bad or anything i still laughed)i expected the true storyline (but i would like to see what they will go on with)(IT WAS A FATAL MISTAKE TO MAKE A PROMO WITH THE NORMAL STORYLINE AND THEN CHANGE IT,i think thats why the fans of the game are angry)

I am very angry about the part that flonne didnt get angry to laharl when he said she was flat-chested(serious now this was a FATAL mistake)
skanjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 19:23   Link #134
espeon
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Australia
Age: 31
Send a message via ICQ to espeon Send a message via MSN to espeon
Any difference in the Fm-Osu version to Anime-U's version?
espeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-15, 19:42   Link #135
bayoab
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by skanjos
I am very angry about the part that flonne didnt get angry to laharl when he said she was flat-chested(serious now this was a FATAL mistake)
If it wasn't obvious, Flonne is very dopey in the anime. This made perfect sense that she didn't realize she was being insulted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by espeon
Any difference in the Fm-Osu version to Anime-U's version?
Better translation, and I liked their typesetting better. However, they used an upscaled raw so it looks worse (It looks fine at 50% though). (The animation isnt great to begin with but it looks blurred.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-17, 22:48   Link #136
ImperialPanda
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: US
Woot yeah, first anime I've seen in 4 months.

Anywho, better than what I expected. But that's not saying much since I wasn't expecting a lot after how Xenosaga turned out.

I believe a game -> anime translation should have a new storyline. But that doesn't mean making a crappy one. Alright, it's not terribly bad, but I can safely say the game story is laid out better.

Character personalities retained fairly well. Keeps anime afloat.

Animation is crap. Not having Harada do the designs is bad enough, but jeez, this isn't much better than Slayers... Their animation budget is comparable to that of a high school ping pong club.

Very average anime. Disgaea 2 will make everything better though.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 17:30   Link #137
hi no ken Jebus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
well ep 3 was interesting at least on paper
Spoiler:
__________________

Last edited by hi no ken Jebus; 2006-04-18 at 21:51.
hi no ken Jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-18, 17:54   Link #138
celcius
Aspiring but lazy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Internet
Being a fan of Disgaea, I feel somewhat disappointed for the first ep. The animation is lacking (some of the mouths don't move when they're talking, etc). Story-wise, I think the change is alright. At least I won't have to watch the series while knowing exactly what happens next, including the gags and jokes. True that Gordon was introduced way too early. I higly think that Gordon will be temporarily pushed out of the screen until a few episodes later, and that they'd focus more on building up Lahral, Flonne, and Etna first.
__________________

Nihaha~
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-19, 17:39   Link #139
winry-chan
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Me I really liked the font of the v1 am I alone ? (of course the color made it a little difficult to read but it was better than the v2)
Anyway, the font for the 2nd episode were difficult to read and I needed often to stop it for read. I would like you (animeU) to make a v2 for the 2nd episode with the same font as the first of all, is it possible ? At less change the color of the font please...

Last edited by winry-chan; 2006-04-19 at 19:27.
winry-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-20, 00:13   Link #140
Sophia
Queen Bitch
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Since you asked so nicely, I'll consider having another version of episode 2 made. but, you better tell me exactly what you want in it.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.