AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

View Poll Results: Which BitTorrent client do you prefer?
Original BitTorrent 6 2.14%
BitTornado 32 11.39%
ABC (Another Bittorrent Client) 9 3.20%
Azureus 77 27.40%
Torrent 103 36.65%
BitComet 47 16.73%
Other (please specify) 7 2.49%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2005-12-23, 07:18   Link #21
Ending

@ NoSanninWa

I was speaking in past tense: they did fix that, after all.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 14:20   Link #22
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Catgirls' post basically expresses my sentiments with regard to utorrent and BitTornado. My only gripe with utorrent at the moment is that throttling the upload is difficult to do with respect to BitTornado, since it has to be done through the options. BitTornado lets you adjust it through a slider that's present on the main interface. BitTornado also lets you adjust the peers to upload to; utorrent allows you to do this as well, but through the same route of having to go to the options. I end up adjusting the speed caps through NetLimiter, an external application for bandwidth monitoring and control. NetLimiter doesn't let me adjust the number of peers I connect to, though, which is relatively critical for torrent performance.

It may just be my interpretation of things, but it also feels like utorrent is a bit slower than BitTornado to me. Not slow enough to matter, though, and it may also be a result of my inability to easily adjust upload settings.
When the utorrent window is open right click on Upload and Download to change the speed easily (Bottom right corner, its a gobal limit).
Changing upload slots is a simple as right clicking on the torrent you wish to change and going to properties.

Not sure about you, but I regulary download 150KB+
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 19:40   Link #23
Taylor--
!

I use bittornado, the first client I've used and still using it. Tried Azureus, but I just prefered the single window per dl of bittornado.
Taylor-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-23, 20:12   Link #24
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

I had to go with the "other" option, as I use BTQueue. It is the only client I know of that supports multiple torrents at once while not having a GUI, which I need, because I run it on a headless machine.
Old 2005-12-23, 20:15   Link #25
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Jekyll, you haven't tried the btdownload(headless/curses)/btlaunchmany(curses) from the official or BitTornado?
Old 2005-12-23, 20:18   Link #26
Jekyll
Rozen Detective

I don't think there was such a thing as btlaunchmany back when I tried the official BT client, thus I might have a look at that, thanks. (BTQueue's scheduler mode is quite comfortable, though. )

Last edited by Jekyll; 2005-12-23 at 21:10.
Jekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-24, 06:22   Link #27
Kamion
うぷぷぷ・・・

Send a message via ICQ to Kamion Send a message via MSN to Kamion
I normally use BitTornado, thus I voted for it...

Trying out uTorrent and liking it though, so maybe I'll use it from now on, dunno
Kamion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 02:25   Link #28
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirhe
@ NoSanninWa

I was speaking in past tense: they did fix that, after all.
I misunderstood. Sorry.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-25, 03:00   Link #29
07ChanF
Mass Dictionary Lookup...

Azureus is my choice when it comes to BT. Main gripe with it; it uses a different implementation of the trackerless protocal which makes it unable to do trackerless things with other clients who have trackerless protocal implementations. I also use utorrent for the other trackerless torrent implementation.
Old 2005-12-25, 04:13   Link #30
Fel
Clean up princess

This µTorrent thing is bugging me, though.
Every once in a while, it'll start taking up 60% or 70% of the CPUsage, and stay up over 50% for a couple minutes no matter what I do.

And this has been happening when I had only two torrents going at < 20kb/s each.
And even when I had no torrents going.

I'm not so sure it's any better than BitComet, although I do like the scheduler feature.
Old 2005-12-25, 21:33   Link #31
QuicksilverPhoenix
Wing of Destiny

Send a message via Yahoo to QuicksilverPhoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart
Bittornado. Simple to use, easy to seed files with with that SuperSeeding feature.
Azureus has that feature too, I have tried Bittorrent, BitComet, BitLord, but i still prefer Azureus...

"Life is eternal. A lifetime is ephemeral."
QuicksilverPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-26, 13:41   Link #32
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuicksilverPhoenix
Azureus has that feature too, I have tried Bittorrent, BitComet, BitLord, but i still prefer Azureus...
The Azureus Super-seeding isn't the same as BitTornado's one and isn't as super as it claims.
Old 2005-12-26, 18:15   Link #33
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Azureus will also turn superseeding off automatically if it doesn't think it should be on. I'd rather be the one to make that choice.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2005-12-26, 19:07   Link #34
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Azureus will also turn superseeding off automatically if it doesn't think it should be on. I'd rather be the one to make that choice.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that... I don't use Azureus partially because I'm not a fan of java-based programs. Super-seeding is nice, but there are circumstances under which it shouldn't be used. I wouldn't say that it hurts the torrent, but it certainly makes distribution less efficient. I don't think that many people care to read up on what the difference between regular seeding and super seeding is; even knowing the difference, I'd imagine that some would not be able to figure out which would be the better option to use when. People see "Seeding" and "Super Seeding" and - well, super implies superior, does it not? Hence, everyone would be using super seeding all the time.

I dislike the idea of the program forcing modes over my directives... but if the program is even decent about knowing when it should use which mode, then I do like the thought of it forcing those modes for every peer on the torrent that I'm on.
Old 2005-12-30, 11:26   Link #35
Dark`
The Terror of Death

I use BitTornado...and so far, that's the only client I've ever used. I ended up with it by chance really....I randomly chose it from a list of BT clients. I've been using it for a little over a year now, and it's fit all my needs so far, so I'm a little hesitant to change my client to anything else, though the lower CPU usage of uTorrent is tempting.

Oh, and despite the fact that I've been using BT for over a year, I still consider myself a "newb" at it since I've never really done more than click and download with it, besides fiddling with some options so it could work despite my use of a router. Can anyone explain this "super seeding" thing and where it's located in BitTornado in the event I want to turn it on/off? My thanks in advance.

Edit: Hmm...I think I found where it is. On the main BTornado screen, in the pull-down menu next to "Settings for"...right? Well, I found it, but what exactly does it do? I mean, the name sounds somewhat self-explanatory, but then Ledgem mentioned that it makes distribution less efficient. So...I'm a tad confused.
[14:22] <~lucifer> Dark` has to stay around to QC Genshiken s2
[14:22] <~lucifer> since you guys won't
[14:22] <~lucifer> So he gets the blessing of "Least Faggoty".
[14:22] <@Dark`> =D
[14:22] <~lucifer> Then after I finish Genshiken S2 dvd rips, he's free game.
[14:22] <~lucifer> (Read: Canada's getting blown up.)
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 11:45   Link #36
NoSanninWa
*Fansubber

Super-seeding is useful when you are starting a torrent from scratch. Whenever it uploads a piece to a peer it looks to see if that piece was uploaded to someone else. Once it sees that piece is being distributed, another piece will be sent to the peer. This way it can be sure that the more a peer uploads, the more it is sending them.

Obviously this method is totally screwed up if a torrent is already fully seeded. The pieces are distributed every which way already so you can't know who has sent them to whom.

Old 2005-12-30, 11:46   Link #37
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark`
Well, I found it, but what exactly does it do? I mean, the name sounds somewhat self-explanatory, but then Ledgem mentioned that it makes distribution less efficient. So...I'm a tad confused.
When a client is a regular seeder, it connects to peers with incomplete files and uploads to them regularly. The peer receiving the file then sends those pieces to other peers, and so on. The seeder does connect to other peers as well, but the way it transfers is different from how it behaves while superseeding.

Superseeding is a newer method where the seeder behaves in a manner where it can get all of the pieces of the file distributed the fastest. That is, the seeder client looks and uploads the missing or rarest pieces that it can see on the torrent. According to the Azureus Wiki, when a client is superseeding, it marks itself as a peer and NOT as a seed. I'm not sure if that's a feature only found in Azureus, but the overall upload behavior is the same.

When is superseeding useful? If you're just starting a torrent and you have very few seeders, superseeding guarantees that all of the pieces will be spread around quickly. Have you ever been on a new torrent where almost all of the clients are at the same percentage of completion, and very slowly everyone creeps forward? (For example, you'll suddenly hit 80% and then your download stops - if you examine the torrent information, you'll notice that all other clients that you can see are also at 80%!) Cases like those are a result of very few seeders on a new torrent, distributing in the normal method. With superseeding, that sort of scenario would not occur, because the seeding client's focus is less on uploading to other peers and more on simply getting all of the pieces out.

In a healthy torrent, superseeding is unnecessary. The seeding client would break connections with peers more frequently and focus on uploading rare pieces of the file. Since the pieces are already in full distribution - that is, if you removed the seeders, the peers would still be able to build a complete version of the file - this superseeding behavior just makes the seed itself less effective, as it's doing something unnecessary for the torrent at the expense of the individual peers. In this situation, the seed is almost entirely uneffective.

That's the gist of it.

edit: Bah, Sanninwa not only beat me to it, but explained it in a much shorter length! That's efficiency for you.
Old 2005-12-30, 13:17   Link #38
chris
[root@localhost]#
*IT Support

I like Ktorrent (nix)
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-30, 20:50   Link #39
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
edit: Bah, Sanninwa not only beat me to it, but explained it in a much shorter length! That's efficiency for you.
Heh. According to the post times, only by a minute (maybe even less). Regardless, I appreciate the input from you both. Both posts were very informative and helpful. And yeah...that one about all peers being at like 80-90% with only 1 seed...that's so annoying. >_> Anyways, thanks again Ledgem and NoSanninWa!
[14:22] <~lucifer> Dark` has to stay around to QC Genshiken s2
[14:22] <~lucifer> since you guys won't
[14:22] <~lucifer> So he gets the blessing of "Least Faggoty".
[14:22] <@Dark`> =D
[14:22] <~lucifer> Then after I finish Genshiken S2 dvd rips, he's free game.
[14:22] <~lucifer> (Read: Canada's getting blown up.)
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005-12-31, 09:10   Link #40
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Has anyone heard of this one G3 Torrent. Its a new BT client I heard of and was wondering if anyone has tried it out.
________
Herbalaire

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 07:52.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote