AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

View Poll Results: Which BitTorrent client do you prefer?
Original BitTorrent 6 2.14%
BitTornado 32 11.39%
ABC (Another Bittorrent Client) 9 3.20%
Azureus 77 27.40%
µTorrent 103 36.65%
BitComet 47 16.73%
Other (please specify) 7 2.49%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-01-07, 16:42   Link #61
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
If you use either µTorrent or Azureus (maybe one of the others also) it will identify the clients that it is connected to.

I'm sure that those are the clients unless they are lying. As far as I know only BitComet has the ability to lie about its identity, but µTorrent has the ability to detect it even if it is lying.
I know for sure that BitComet doesn't have this ability (perhaps a hacked version has it, but not the original). Azureus definitely has it (as a plug in).
__________________
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 14:18   Link #62
dorrito
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to dorrito
Got one tiny question>> Does your download speed depend on the client which you use? I'm using bitlord atm, and i saw someone posted he had an dowload speed of 150 kb/s, well my max was 112 kb/s. And my average dowload speed is around 60 kb/s atm.
dorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-08, 14:39   Link #63
Kamui4356
Aria Company
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrito
Got one tiny question>> Does your download speed depend on the client which you use? I'm using bitlord atm, and i saw someone posted he had an dowload speed of 150 kb/s, well my max was 112 kb/s. And my average dowload speed is around 60 kb/s atm.
Bit Lord? Why? It's a hacked version of bitcomet with adware, an outdated version at that. At the very least switch to bitcomet, though μtorrent would be a better choice.

As for your question, you will get some variation, but as long as you're doing everyhting honestly, and there are no issues like firewalls, the difference should be insignificant. I'm sure others will be able to answer your question better though.

For the speeds itself, does that other person have the same isp as you do, or at least one with about the same advertised speeds? Go here, and look for a test location in the netherlands, or failing that a neighboring country. If your tested speed is much higher than your max bt speed, there may be a problem. However, remember that you will rarely come close to your max speeds on bt.
__________________
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-09, 19:48   Link #64
Sofu
Cheeky Cat
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One
How do those programs identify the clients, they are connected to?
The Peer ID. There are two basic conventions: Azureus style and Shadow style. Mainline has its own, as do a few other clients. You can read more about it here (about halfway down).

However, as you mentioned already, it's easily possible to change this ID, so you can't always take it for gospel. Lina already mentioned the plugin for Azureus that could be used to spoof the ID (appropriately named Spoofer), but the author no longer supports it, and it may no longer work with the latest version of Azureus (due to changes in the plugin API). That said, other clients may exist which can spoof the peer ID. I know there are unofficial versions of Azureus floating around, and it wouldn't surprise me if someone else decided to integrate the Spoofer plugin with one of them.

Despite that, I think most peers are being honest with their IDs, so what you see should be pretty close to reality.
__________________
General BitTorrent information: BTFAQ, BT Overview, Official FAQ, BT Specs
Connection icon yellow or red? Forward your ports and configure your firewall
BT on AnimeSuki: BitTorrent Step-By-Step, Slow Downloads Guide
Use Azureus? Read the wiki!
Signature Tip: Find something useful
Sofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-11, 07:40   Link #65
dorrito
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Send a message via MSN to dorrito
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356
Bit Lord? Why? It's a hacked version of bitcomet with adware, an outdated version at that. At the very least switch to bitcomet, though μtorrent would be a better choice.

As for your question, you will get some variation, but as long as you're doing everyhting honestly, and there are no issues like firewalls, the difference should be insignificant. I'm sure others will be able to answer your question better though.

For the speeds itself, does that other person have the same isp as you do, or at least one with about the same advertised speeds? Go here, and look for a test location in the netherlands, or failing that a neighboring country. If your tested speed is much higher than your max bt speed, there may be a problem. However, remember that you will rarely come close to your max speeds on bt.
thanx for answering my post.

Spoiler for test results::::


So is my connect speed for bittorrent fast enough? (im sorry but i kinda don't know much of this subject )
dorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 17:16   Link #66
denss
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
I prefer Azureus because I got used to it.
But utorrent is good alternative for people that don't like java apps.
__________________
denss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 18:10   Link #67
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I've been using BitSpirit lately. It's BitComet with an uglier UI, but it has super seeding, and BitComet-based clients are the only ones that don't eat your RAM in Windows. Yes, I am including uTorrent when I say this. uTorrent is terrible. It's NOT light on RAM like it claims to be (look at your available RAM go up* bigtime when you close it. NEVER trust the RAM usage reported by a specific process in task manager.) and it has approximately -1 features.

The best Python client is Rufus, other than its lack of super seeding support.
__________________

Last edited by RaistlinMajere; 2006-01-23 at 20:25.
RaistlinMajere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-23, 19:28   Link #68
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaistlinMajere
Yes, I am including uTorrent when I say this. uTorrent is terrible. It's NOT light on RAM like it claims to be (look at your available RAM drop bigtime when you close it. NEVER trust the RAM usage reported by a specific process in task manager.) and it has approximately -1 features.
You raise an interesting point, I hadn't noticed it. However, I usually have over 200 MB of RAM free anyway; I'm currently down to just over 40 with utorrent open. My RAM's getting used, big deal. I don't think many people are running torrents and trying to 3D render or what have you at the same time. I also don't have a whole heck of a lot of RAM to spare; I only have 640 MB of PC133 SDRAM. But, that's just my opinion; everyone else is doing something different, so I'm sure they'd appreciate knowing this information.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 10:04   Link #69
Isamu Daisen
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
May I change my vote? I voted for BitComet before but now I'm a major fan of Utorrent. It rules! Hail Ludde!!! hehe

Isamu
Isamu Daisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 18:12   Link #70
Lina Inverse
SL Aki fanclub president
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isamu Daisen
May I change my vote? I voted for BitComet before but now I'm a major fan of Utorrent. It rules! Hail Ludde!!! hehe

Isamu
Same here - would be great if I could change my vote to uTorrent!
__________________
Lina Inverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 22:07   Link #71
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I picked Bitlord at random for my first client, it was slow but I didn't mind, but when it started getting rejected by some trackers or whatever I switched to Azureus and it gave much better speed and there doesn't seem to have any problem with getting banned. So I guess Azureus is my choice.

Btw, I still have Bitlord on my computer because it's easy to choose specific files to download from a large batch of torrents. Can Azureus do this as well? If so, how?
monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 22:11   Link #72
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Netherlands
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert
Btw, I still have Bitlord on my computer because it's easy to choose specific files to download from a large batch of torrents. Can Azureus do this as well? If so, how?
Yes it can, very easily too. Just double-click on the torrent in Azureus, pick the "Files" tab,
and then right click on any file you want to prioritize or not download.

GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 22:19   Link #73
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstert
Btw, I still have Bitlord on my computer because it's easy to choose specific files to download from a large batch of torrents. Can Azureus do this as well? If so, how?
Every single client in the poll with the single exception of the Original is capable of this. I guess that is why only 1 person has confessed to using the mainline Original BitTorrent.

Here's what µTorrent's dialogue looks like. The resemblance to Azureus is uncanny.

__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-02-08 at 22:30.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 23:29   Link #74
monster
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Thanks for the answer you guys, now I can rid myself of unnecessary program and free up some space.
monster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 04:25   Link #75
anime_layer
Senior Member
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Zürich, Switzerland
Send a message via ICQ to anime_layer
Actually, if you've got the newest beta of Azureus (which is currently getting cleaned for release) you get this quite handy new open dialog:
__________________
MPlayer OSX Extended (en) | nimmermehr (de) | sttz (de) | last.fm
Life is a game whose first rule is: This is not a game, this is dead serious.
anime_layer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 05:54   Link #76
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New York, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_layer
Actually, if you've got the newest beta of Azureus (which is currently getting cleaned for release) you get this quite handy new open dialog:
Interesting. µTorrent also has this optional dialogue, you can choose to use either this or the original style add torrent interface.

Apparently, this is a BitComet-style dialogue. I guess people loved this dialogue style so much that both Azureus and µTorrent decided to copy it.

__________________

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 10:50   Link #77
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Original BT Client‽

I have used BitComet for almost two years, but I did not know that it was like that.
Anyway, it was only recently that I discovered µTorrent, and I decided to try it and compare it to BitComet, if it really was better as many say.

I was incensed that µTorrent did not even connect to the tracker while BitComet started downloading already, albeit slowly. As I also did not know that BitComet is known for its speed because of its underhand methods, I scrapped µTorrent for the time.

Curiously, though, I also used a rip-off of an old original BT client (ver. 3.4.2), and it blazed through the downloading of the same file that I used for the two clients mentioned above. Now I know the original client sucks, but what can I say with those results‽ For the time being, I am using it.



This was the rip-off I was mentioning: BitTorrent Mega Pack. Its insidious purpose was lost with time, (it attempts to connect to spyware-filled [link removed], but can't because of its own programming errors and because of the obsolete software itself) and since I can't find the 3.4.2 original BT client anywhere, that did it for me.

I tested the three clients for three minutes so as to give concrete comparisons. I have a 256 Kbps DSL connection, and the same torrent file was used for all three.

BitComet - 84.97 Kb in three minutes
µTorrent - 32.0 Kb in three minutes
BitTorrent Mega Pack (BitTorrent 3.4.2) - ~200 Kb in three minutes.

There's my proof. It's quite laughable, but there is one of the reasons why I don't use µTorrent much. I'll try it on anime torrents now, though, especially because of your reasons.

Last edited by physics223; 2006-02-09 at 11:27.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 20:44   Link #78
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
I tested the three clients for three minutes so as to give concrete comparisons. I have a 256 Kbps DSL connection, and the same torrent file was used for all three.

BitComet - 84.97 Kb in three minutes
µTorrent - 32.0 Kb in three minutes
BitTorrent Mega Pack (BitTorrent 3.4.2) - ~200 Kb in three minutes.

There's my proof. It's quite laughable, but there is one of the reasons why I don't use µTorrent much. I'll try it on anime torrents now, though, especially because of your reasons.
I know this sounds harsh, but I'd say your results don't prove anything. All it'd take would be for BitComet OR uTorrent to randomly connect to a seeder that had superb routing to you, and you'd experience a surge in download speeds. The connections are almost totally random. If you want to run a real test, performing this 10+ times each would be a bit more concrete.

Or, it may also prove that it's completely random, and that the clients themselves don't have as much of an effect on your starting speed as the random factor and popularity of the torrent.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 21:22   Link #79
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Does BitComet give other BitComet users priority when queuing? It seems like if I use BitSpirit on some torrent that has a lot of BC users the download would be slow, but if I switch to BC it'll download very quickly.
__________________
So long.
TougeSil80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-10, 03:53   Link #80
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
I know this sounds harsh, but I'd say your results don't prove anything. All it'd take would be for BitComet OR uTorrent to randomly connect to a seeder that had superb routing to you, and you'd experience a surge in download speeds. The connections are almost totally random. If you want to run a real test, performing this 10+ times each would be a bit more concrete.

Or, it may also prove that it's completely random, and that the clients themselves don't have as much of an effect on your starting speed as the random factor and popularity of the torrent.
No, just joking. I really just do what I can with these things, trying to prove something to myself. As I saw that BitComet works better than µTorrent, I used it. I'm just an amateur techie, so I really just use what works well.

I used µTorrent for Kashimashi, and boy, was it slow. I didn't even limit the upload even if I knew it was bad for download speed, but it didn't upload enough and downloaded extremely slowly (3x slower than my calculated time for a single episode using torrents ~ 2 hours). I know I can't use Azureus, so for now, I'm sticking with BitComet. Don't worry, my ratio is most often more than 1. I upload more than I download.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.