AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Download Help

Notices

View Poll Results: Which BitTorrent client do you prefer?
Original BitTorrent 6 2.14%
BitTornado 32 11.39%
ABC (Another Bittorrent Client) 9 3.20%
Azureus 77 27.40%
µTorrent 103 36.65%
BitComet 47 16.73%
Other (please specify) 7 2.49%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2006-02-10, 23:35   Link #81
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I wasn't saying that remark as a criticism against you, physics223, I was just remarking that your experimental method was flawed. It's more of a statement to let other people realize that, instead of them jumping to conclusions. Also, if you wanted, you could redo the test to give some results that would have a bit more weight - I'd also be interested to see those, myself.
Old 2006-02-11, 03:28   Link #82
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I totally agree with your comments on what I did. It's really random, and no, I wasn't even offended. We're all good guys here, aren't we?

Indeed, my experiment was flawed, and I'm too lazy to really be serious with BT client experimentation. Again, let me reiterate that I just really wanted to prove something to myself, nothing more.

I thank you for correcting my false notions ... seriously. As I see it, you're a far better techie than I am as well.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-20, 07:28   Link #83
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

If ever you are under NAT, don't use TorrentStorm. At best, it can download 3 KB/s.
Old 2006-02-20, 16:36   Link #84
hhaamu
Don't panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
If ever you are under NAT, don't use TorrentStorm. At best, it can download 3 KB/s.
And the other clients will download faster under the same situation?

Really, having ports blocked will make your download speed glacial on BT and other swarming P2P apps.

(actually, any browser is fine to me as long as it doesn't use IE's rendering engine...)
Generating the #animesuki stats since 2003
hhaamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-25, 22:22   Link #85
Hiryuu
Shinobi

Send a message via AIM to Hiryuu Send a message via Yahoo to Hiryuu
uTorrent is my favorite client, I used to use Azureus before I got a new computer though.
I used ABC when I got my new computer but found it had no trackerless support so i got uTorrent.

BitComet users piss me off because whenever I seed they take all of the data when the other client users (usually near finished with the torrent) don't get anything.
Hiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 21:54   Link #86
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

That isn't true now as that glitch has been fixed in the 0.6 versions and later.
Old 2006-03-15, 22:04   Link #87
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
physics only nerds like me continue to update their client. Many others still havent made the switch.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-15, 22:21   Link #88
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

So it's the fault of BitComet that they don't update? Most of the clients have had pretty major glitches in the past.
Old 2006-03-16, 02:38   Link #89
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Very well said, Raistlin. I just don't like how people still keep on shooting flak at BitComet just because of glitches in the past. Azureus has its memory leaks, but most BitComet users don't say Assureus or something. It's not fair.

uTorrent paired with an organization once known to be anti-P2P. Do we BitComet users shoot flak towards uTorrent users? No.

To each his own.
Old 2006-03-16, 05:08   Link #90
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
uTorrent paired with an organization once known to be anti-P2P. Do we BitComet users shoot flak towards uTorrent users? No.
This is entirely wrong! The company in question is PeerFactor which used to be partnered with RetSpan. RetSpan was anti-P2P, but they have since parted ways with PeerFactor as a direct result of RetSpan's anti-P2P actions. As a result PeerFactor is no longer associated with any anti-P2P actions or philosophy.

To continue, Ludvig, the creator of µTorrent, is not even paired with PeerFactor, but merely agreed to write a dll for them. This isn't any sort of partnership, just a bit of programming work which gives them absolutely zero control of µTorrent or access to its code.

Read about it here: µTorrent homepage

Quote:
Originally Posted by µTorrent homepage
Recently, µTorrent has been the subject of numerous articles as a result of the contract between µTorrent's sole creator and developer, Ludvig Strigeus ("ludde"), and PeerFactor.

While PeerFactor has been involved in anti-P2P activities in the past, there is a large amount of misinformation being spread about µTorrent, PeerFactor and the nature of the agreement.
  • No change has been made to µTorrent as a result of the contract, and no changes will be made in the future. µTorrent contains no anti-P2P component, IP logging or other monitoring as falsely reported by some websites, and is not affiliated with the RIAA or MPAA.
  • PeerFactor is no longer associated with RetSpan, and furthermore, Ludvig is in no way affiliated with RetSpan. Ludvig does not "work for RetSpan", nor does he work for PeerFactor.
  • PeerFactor is a new company, started by former PeerFactor employees who did not like the anti-P2P idea. They broke off to form a new pro-P2P company called PeerFactor SARL. This is the company that Ludvig is dealing with, NOT the anti-P2P PeerFactor.
  • The PeerFactor software that Ludvig is associated with is not anti-P2P software, unlike the PeerFactor program run by RetSpan in 2004, now discontinued. The head of PeerFactor states that "we do not distribute any fake file over P2P, but only useful content" (source).
  • The PeerFactor agreement does not give PeerFactor access to µTorrent's source code. The only work done by Ludvig for PeerFactor consisted of the development of a single DLL which provides an implementation of BitTorrent for the PeerFactor software. Ludvig is not involved in the development of any other part of PeerFactor.
  • PeerFactor's software is going to be used to create a legal downloading service for webmasters to distribute large content more easily, as specified in the contract, nothing else.
  • Ludvig remains the only person with access to µTorrent's source code. µTorrent remains closed-source to prevent clones and modifications such as DHT hacks, not to conceal anti-P2P code. µTorrent will not become open-source as a result of the controversy over the agreement.

Please refrain from spreading misinformation about µTorrent. Should you have further concerns about the integrity of the program, please raise them in the µTorrent community forums.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 05:58   Link #91
Last_Hope
System/Web developer

I´m using Azureus, UTorrent only killed my internet and the multiple windows in BitTornado slowed down my PC too much to be worth it.

With Azureus I´ve had the highest speeds aswell, and it´s easy to use.

Want to know who did this kickass sig? Just click it!
Last_Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 08:14   Link #92
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I'm sorry NSW. But the fact is, having been once part of an anti-P2P organization does not change with PeerFactor. It's like with Clinton. After having the Lewinski affair, did everybody trust him as much? The answer is no. There may or may not be misinformation done, but that fact still stands.

I'm not really pissed with µTorrent or any other client for that matter, but I'm pissed when people shoot flak towards BitComet. It's just not fair. I mean, for that matter I like BitComet but I don't have to be a fanboy to say that 'OMG t3h God u why using dat c1i3nt!!!one It sux0rz c0z 1t destr0ysss t3h netw0rk.'

Gosh, how odious.
Old 2006-03-16, 10:29   Link #93
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
You may not see the flak flying from BitComet, but it does fly, and it does fly specifically from BC users.

BitComet peers come in one of 2 varieties in swarms:
The ones that don't share anything.
The ones that share massively.

Unfortunately, the number of ones that don't share anything visibly outnumber the ones that share massively.
DWKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 11:51   Link #94
techiet
Shiori~

Send a message via AIM to techiet Send a message via MSN to techiet
Quote:
Alex H: Last week Slyck.com published a story that revealed a deal between a company called PeerFactor and Ludvig Strigeus, µTorrent's developer. How does µTorrent fit into this? Is Ludde working for the "dark side"? Have you sold out as some people are claiming?

Ludde: I can't believe how much this deal has been blown up. The whole hysteria started with the Slyck.com article saying that µTorrent is cooperating with RetSpan and working with Anti-P2P organizations. Later the article was updated because that statement was factually incorrect. Yet I believe a large number of users still have doubts about µTorrent's legitimacy.

The deal as such is not even about µTorrent. I will provide the company (PeerFactor, a startup company started in late 2005), with a small DLL-file that can be used for one thing only - Downloading files from BitTorrent network. The deal is not between µTorrent and PeerFactor, and it does not affect µTorrent. I'm just using some of my expertise to help them develop an application that webmasters can use to publish big content on their websites. I don't even give out any source code.

I can't show you our agreement, but µTorrent is not even mentioned in our deal. There are no mentions of any Anti-P2P ideas, and PeerFactor owns NO rights to the BitTorrent code. The deal is just between me (Ludvig Strigeus) as a developer and PeerFactor. It's not related to µTorrent at all. The license has no malicious intent towards P2P users, and it does not affect µTorrent in any way. The contract explicitly states that they can only use it for the designated purpose, and not for anything else such as monitoring P2P users.
Source:http://www.p2pnet.net/story/8158
Honestly, I don't care what client people use. We're still getting the same downloads, aren't we? But if I were to switch from µTorrent, I'd go back to Azureus.
Old 2006-03-16, 14:10   Link #95
Ending

@ techiet

Not necessarily. Encryption begins to be a must-have since there are different kinds of snoops between the server and you (ISP, filters, traffic meters, government censorship, etc), so what you get might not be exactly the same if some parts are 100% accidentally "dropped" out.

Thus it is better to use and clients with new, necessary features. Guess which client is the only one with aforementioned ability at the moment?
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 15:42   Link #96
DWKnight
Torrent Goon

Send a message via ICQ to DWKnight Send a message via AIM to DWKnight Send a message via MSN to DWKnight Send a message via Yahoo to DWKnight
Encryption clients (that don't have bugs that cause piece hashfails)
Azureus 2.4.0.1+ (betas only, they really need to get the release out)
uTorrent 1.5+
BitComet 0.63+
DWKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-16, 20:59   Link #97
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

At least I'm not those who don't share, that's for certain. Anyway, only BitComet has ever worked for me ... and I've tried roughly four betas of µTorrent and two of its stable versions. It's a matter of preference, I guess, but I don't shoot flak towards other clients. I hope they also don't do that to me (at least those that I can see).

Last edited by physics223; 2006-03-17 at 08:42.
Old 2006-03-16, 21:11   Link #98
Kurz
Gao~ a sound for the ages

Location: I live in a relm of swirling of thought and emotion, Ever lost in the relm of infinite possiblities.
I dont think badly of bitComet. However I said the end users themselves dont update so some trackers just ban it all together to keep them from slowing down the swarms.

Its not like they are forcing you to make the switch from Windows to Linux (which I am currently researching now). You have many clients out there to use most of which are good alternative choices.

I dont often see post .6 verisons of BitComet on my list of peers on utorrent. I just hope they update eventually so others can unban the client.
Kurz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 08:43   Link #99
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Yeah, I hope so too. It would be better for us all - more seeders (hopefully).
Old 2006-03-17, 12:19   Link #100
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

The only option in bitcomet that I've missed since using utorrent is the fact that I cant tell utorrent to automaticcally shut the computer down when all torrents have finished seeding... Since I always set each torrent to stop when reaching a ratio of 110%,(I'll wasted some if I left my comp open without doing anything) I have to switch my computer off manually >_< at night. And continue the seeding next day.

Is there an option for utorrent to do that? I doubt so but never will I revert to other client anymore >_<
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote