AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > My HiME / My Otome

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2005-12-29, 10:24   Link #1
Anime Adoru
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Character review: Shizuru Viola

Edited Jan 3: If you want to join the discussion, please make sure you read revision 2 of this post before you jump on some of the things I said: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...4&postcount=46

----

Looks like only hard-core fans are left in this thread. So I though I'm copying over this post from my blog at http://adoru.wordpress.com hoping for interesting (and civilized, in case you disagree :-)) feedback.

----

In a recent popularity poll about the Otomes in Mai Otome, Meister Shizuru Viola scored first place, followed by Arika and Erstin. The high rankings of cheerful Arika and all-around-lovable Erstin did not surprise me. The top spot for Shizuru did, so I thought it is time to reflect on her character and why she is portrayed the way she is.

In Mai Hime, I pitied Shizuru for her unfulfilled love for Natsuki, and admired her for her stoic suffering over the cards life had dealt her. Even her behavior towards Natsuki in the last episodes of Mai Hime seemed forgivable when I saw how it all went down the tubes in violent and tearful self-destruction. Still, Shizuru didn't play a major role in Mai Hime, and her character had been left largely unexplored.

In Mai Otome Shizuru figures more prominently. She is the first Meister Otome we encounter and she probably left a lasting impression on everyone who saw her kick into action in the first episode. She is a pillar of Garderobe, the School of Otome, and she answers only to Natsuki, the school headmaster. She is stunningly beautiful in a classical elegance kind of way: Great face, shape, and voice, great regular and battle costume, and even a customized sound when she walks in her battle costume.

Maybe the most obvious change over Mai Hime is that in Mai Otome, Shizuru's love for Natsuki, is being answered. From the surprised expression in Natsuki's face when Shizuru first bows down to the awe-struck Arika as if to kiss her, to the proverbial "fan-service" scene at the pool that made everyone wonder where exactly Shizuru stuck her fingers to make Natsuki blush in such an ecstatic and embarrassed way, it is made abundantly clear that Shizuru and Natsuki are a couple.

One thing that has not changed is her controlled behavior. Rarely do we see an authentic and spontaneous emotional expression. If we see an emotion at all, I always feel it had to pass multiple layers of self-control before it was considered appropriate for public display. Despite her soft voice and (under most circumstances) mild manners, I perceive her as cold and controlled. When Nina freaks out over her missing father, Shizuru first slaps her to bring her back to reality, and only then hugs her, trying to calm her down. Control of the situation overrides empathy.

Garderobe is its own diplomatic entity, so any action Shizuru takes is one that represents Garderobe, and she is only too aware of it. Before episode 12, we saw mostly defensive actions. Shizuru killed the slave in episode 1, fought Rado in episode 3, and defended her group against Midori in episode 10. In episode 12, however, we see how she aggressively enters Akira's bedroom and forcefully holds her in check. Shizuru may have been wondering about the masquerade. Still, is this a way to address the peaceful representative of a foreign country?

So what makes Shizuru tick? At the end of episode 10, Midori challenges Shizuru: What are you fighting for? Why do you protect this (in Midori's mind) distorted world? Shizuru's answer is clear: To protect the person I love. (Natsuki, obviously.) While understandable, what a poor answer for a person endowed with so much power. So all Shizuru cares about is Natsuki, and beyond that the world and its people aren't worth much.

This is the more so regrettable, as for the girls at Garderobe, Shizuru is the larger-than-life Onee-sama, an object of admiration and infatuation. I fear that as a role model Shizuru instills the same values she lives by into the students of Garderobe. Maybe this is desired so: To create otomes who don't question their masters and follow their orders dutifully. It is telling that she inspires both "good girls" like Nina and "bad girls" like Tomoe.

Shizuru may make us admire her power and elegance, but I think her morals are severly lacking.

This review is dated as of episode 12.

Last edited by Anime Adoru; 2006-01-03 at 10:09.
Anime Adoru is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 10:39   Link #2
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Shizuru may have been wondering about the masquerade. Still, is this a way to address the peaceful representative of a foreign country?
Since she knows the representative had lied about her gender, Shizuru has all the rights to suspect the representative might not be a representative at all. In this case, Shizuru treated Akira like a potential spy. You certainly can't blame her for that. She has just cause to do so in her own territory.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 10:44   Link #3
Anime Adoru
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant
Since she knows the representative had lied about her gender, Shizuru has all the rights to suspect the representative might not be a representative at all. In this case, Shizuru treated Akira like a potential spy. You certainly can't blame her for that. She has just cause to do so in her own territory.
Yeah, I thought about that, but I think calling a bluff doesn't mean you should physically attack a person. I think the proper way would have been to talk to Natsuki and then confront Akira in a non-violent way if the situation was considered problematic.
Anime Adoru is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 11:16   Link #4
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Adoru
Yeah, I thought about that, but I think calling a bluff doesn't mean you should physically attack a person. I think the proper way would have been to talk to Natsuki and then confront Akira in a non-violent way if the situation was considered problematic.
Attacked Akira?

I do seem to recollect it was Akira who drew her weapon out first... Akira was prepared to kill Shizuru in order to silence her. Shizuru was acting out of self-defense, and most certainly could have done much more than holding Akira in place if she wanted to hurt her.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 11:25   Link #5
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Adoru
Yeah, I thought about that, but I think calling a bluff doesn't mean you should physically attack a person. I think the proper way would have been to talk to Natsuki and then confront Akira in a non-violent way if the situation was considered problematic.
I don't think it was attack, it was more of a molestation We can guess why Shizuru wants some quality time alone with Akira.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 11:49   Link #6
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guze no Sekai
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
I don't think it was attack, it was more of a molestation We can guess why Shizuru wants some quality time alone with Akira.
Certainly, the way she acts around some girls (Arika, Natsuki etc) warrant that kind of comments. I can't say someone is wrong for thinking that way. I wonder what she noticed on Akira that roused her suspicions though.
__________________
Owaranai Destiny is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 12:06   Link #7
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny
Certainly, the way she acts around some girls (Arika, Natsuki etc) warrant that kind of comments. I can't say someone is wrong for thinking that way. I wonder what she noticed on Akira that roused her suspicions though.
She has cute girl detection radar. Didn't you notice the ping when she notice Akira is a girl

And I would place Shiho on the same level with Tomeo. Shiho just likes to plays some embressing and nasty tricks but she hasn't really gone after any of the girls. Tomeo is just evil.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 12:31   Link #8
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Blue Ridge Mountain High
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Adoru
Looks like only hard-core fans are left in this thread.
Yes, hard-core Shizuru fans as well. Which is why I'm puzzled you felt the need to bash her here. IMHO this probably would have been best left on your own blog. We've had enough Shizuru bashing in this forum over TWO series for quite some time thank you. Or were you looking to start a flame war?

Quote:
One thing that has not changed is her controlled behavior. Rarely do we see an authentic and spontaneous emotional expression. If we see an emotion at all, I always feel it had to pass multiple layers of self-control before it was considered appropriate for public display. Despite her soft voice and (under most circumstances) mild manners, I perceive her as cold and controlled. When Nina freaks out over her missing father, Shizuru first slaps her to bring her back to reality, and only then hugs her, trying to calm her down. Control of the situation overrides empathy.
You DO realise that someone has to act the adult in a school full of children. Shizuru is Natsuki's #2 and that means being on top of everything that goes on (erm...no pun intended...just in case Shigan is lurking around with more New Year's cake). Natsuki doesn't have complete faith and trust in her for nothing. Not everyone needs to be like us Americans and reactionary to every little thing that goes on. Shizuru picks the time and the place to show emotion. It's called maturity. She slaps Nina to get her under control because the child was clearly hysterical and needed to calm down. She was at the point where hugging her was not going to do. Nina was too irrational for that. Shizuru may have slapped her but it would have been FAR colder for her to simply walk away than to offer Nina some comfort. On what planet is that behavior considered cold?
Quote:
Shizuru may have been wondering about the masquerade. Still, is this a way to address the peaceful representative of a foreign country?
Do realise that Shizuru is also in essence a bodyguard. She has a responsibility to protect the school and its inhabitants. Natsuki permits her to do as she sees fit to that end. If you think that a snake is in your midst, is it really wise to make it strike to prove your point? Not hardly. Confronting Akira indirectly was best...she needed to be sure her observation was correct before bringing it to Natsuki. That is the prudent thing to do in a dicey political situation.
Quote:
So what makes Shizuru tick? At the end of episode 10, Midori challenges Shizuru: What are you fighting for? Why do you protect this (in Midori's mind) distorted world? Shizuru's answer is clear: To protect the person I love. (Natsuki, obviously.) While understandable, what a poor answer for a person endowed with so much power. So all Shizuru cares about is Natsuki, and beyond that the world and its people aren't worth much.
Actually, I totally disagree with this. Just because you fight for someone you love, does not mean that's ALL you care about. Your logic is deeply flawed.
Quote:
Shizuru may make us admire her power and elegance, but I think her morals are severly lacking.
Thus far, like most Shizuru bashers, you really haven't supported your argument with anything more than perilously thin and spurious evidence. There is no concrete evidence in any of the episodes that her "morality" is questionable. Like VCV once said, these Otomes are soldiers and, like it or not, are being bred and trained to that end. Soldiers are often called upon to do questionable things in defense of their country or the people they love. Don't kid yourself. If you asked a soldier in Iraq to tell you the real reason why they're bleeding and dying over there, they'd tell you it was for their most important people: family, wife and kids, girlfriend, friends, etc. Shizuru is no different.
Kieli is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 13:28   Link #9
Preston
I am the lies in you.
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35
Ooooh, toughie, I don't know which side to bet on...yet. I'll decide after ep 13. If and when Nina does find out about Sergey's sponsorship of Arika, it's probably gonna be mulled over by the fact that Sergey admits to it himself. Won't stop the fact that Nina might want to fight Arika over it (one of those much needed head-clearing fights). Nina will have to come to grips with the fact that she does like Arika herself, despite wanting Sergey. ^^
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrim
I beg to differ. Character bashing aside, how about Tomoe or Shiho? They don't seem to be liking Arika more as time passes.
People suffering from some type of insanity and mental instability aside, no one will be able to hold a grudge against Arika for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieli
Yes, hard-core Shizuru fans as well. Which is why I'm puzzled you felt the need to bash her here. IMHO this probably would have been best left on your own blog. We've had enough Shizuru bashing in this forum over TWO series for quite some time thank you. Or were you looking to start a flame war?

....
I like Shizuru, and I wouldn't call that character bashing. It's one person's take on her current state of mind, one which I would agree on in parts. I really wouldn't call her an ideal figure for the Otomes of the school to work towards being like, why, is hard to put into words.

Otomes may be trained to be soldiers.. actually, no, fancy bodyguard-maid commodities, but they arn't bred for the purpose. Good God, now that would be even more morally incorrect. It's a school. A private school. A school that leads down two main paths: A fancy lifestyle where you are respected, have a powerful and rich husband, or a life serving one person as a glorified bodyguard. I, personally, would not refer to an Otome as a conventional soldier. The soldiers in the Otome world, are.. uh.. the soldiers. Sure, some duties that would be first thought of as those of soldiers may fall upon the shoulders of Otomes, but it's more of an acting duty, kind of like a conscription. 'Your country just got itself in a mess, no-one else has your skills, go sort it out, you have no choice in the matter. (If you die you'll get a free gravestone in a hall not just anyone can get to.)''

EDIT: Why is this thread no longer stickied? No episode for another week.
__________________
»PRESTØN³

Um... signature image in progress.
Preston is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 17:09   Link #10
Anime Adoru
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I posted this review because I'm interested in understanding Shizuru, Arika, etc. (I still don't get why I'm so hooked on this series. Yes, I'm the brainy analytical type.) I have a review on Arika done, and it is as much light and shadow as for Shizuru. I deliberately wrote this in a personal style to make clear this is my opinion. I'm also interested in getting arguments in where I'm wrong, ideally based on facts from the series.

Quote:
She slaps Nina to get her under control because the child was clearly hysterical and needed to calm down. She was at the point where hugging her was not going to do. Nina was too irrational for that. Shizuru may have slapped her but it would have been FAR colder for her to simply walk away than to offer Nina some comfort. On what planet is that behavior considered cold?
You are making a moral judgement. Some people favor empathy over self-reliance/being in control, others favor being in control over expression of emotions. Very much simplifying, these are the two moral systems (since you are mentioning the U.S.) that either dominate Republican or Democratic politics. There is nothing wrong with your judgement, it is one of two possible. Do you know a scene in the series where this comes out more clearly than the first slapping, then hugging situation?

Quote:
Confronting Akira indirectly was best...she needed to be sure her observation was correct before bringing it to Natsuki. That is the prudent thing to do in a dicey political situation.
Honestly: She could have observed, and thought to herself: Ah, confirmed, a girl, and then: an impostor! Please take a look at the scene. She is forcefully holding Akira against her will. I call that disrespecting another person. What would you have thought if Akira had demasked Arika that way upon first meeting?

Quote:
Actually, I totally disagree with this. Just because you fight for someone you love, does not mean that's ALL you care about.
Hmm... It is the one thing she says she cares about. Do you have a scene/situation where it is clear she cares about other people other than for material reasons like her job would ask her to do? Anywhere where she jumps into action to help people outside of her job? I'm not aware that Sunrise paints her that way; happens a lot for other people, most notably Arika, that way, though.
Anime Adoru is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 17:16   Link #11
Anime Adoru
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
[COLOR="DarkRed"]I really wouldn't call her an ideal figure for the Otomes of the school to work towards being like, why, is hard to put into words.
I'm not there yet either. Her elegance and beauty each time is breathtaking, and I'm thinking how cool, and yet still I perceive her as cold and don't really know why. Looking for situations to put my finger down.
Anime Adoru is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 17:18   Link #12
Anime Adoru
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^
I don't think it was attack, it was more of a molestation We can guess why Shizuru wants some quality time alone with Akira.
Maybe. Not sure. Are there more people here who think this was sexual rather than political aggressive?
Anime Adoru is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 17:30   Link #13
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Blue Ridge Mountain High
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Adoru
I posted this review because I'm interested in understanding Shizuru, Arika, etc. (I still don't get why I'm so hooked on this series. Yes, I'm the brainy analytical type.) I have a review on Arika done, and it is as much light and shadow as for Shizuru. I deliberately wrote this in a personal style to make clear this is my opinion. I'm also interested in getting arguments in where I'm wrong, ideally based on facts from the series.
It does not seem like you're interested in learning about Shizuru insomuch as you are making clear your opinions. You don't state in your piece your interest in learning other viewpoints. You simply make statements of opinion that you don't quite clarify as such.
Quote:
Shizuru may make us admire her power and elegance, but I think her morals are severly lacking.
And you are not making a moral statement here? Clearly you are. To state otherwise would be incorrect.
Quote:
You are making a moral judgement. Some people favor empathy over self-reliance/being in control, others favor being in control over expression of emotions.
Some people do, you are correct. But that does not make them morally bankrupt or lacking in morality. They simply have very different viewpoints on how their chosen morality should play out. Let's take for example, Nina's behaviour in the last episode towards Arika. I personally feel that she is bullying Arika because she can get away with it; purposely venting her frustrations over her "father" and his relationship thus far with Arika in a particularly odd situation. Others feel that the scenes were merely for comedic value and found them amusing. Thus, I ask, is Nina morally deficient for acting out on Arika or is she merely "doing her job"? One could pose both of these questions to Shizuru. Is she being morally bereft by slapping Nina into sensibility then showing compassion later or is she doing her job as #2 and caring for the welfare of a student despite the actions needed to calm her down?

If one is planning on judging Shizuru's actions, the judgment will almost always be dependant on one's own moral code. But to judge her actions thus far without knowing the true intent underlying them is to do so without sufficient evidence.
Quote:
Very much simplifying, these are the two moral systems (since you are mentioning the U.S.) that either dominate Republican or Democratic politics.
And those are? I am American and can tell you than there is more than one system of morality that drives Americans...unfortunately having a two party system means that others would view us in those terms which is inaccurate to judge the country's political views at large. The squeakiest wheel gets the grease and all that.
Quote:
Honestly: She could have observed, and thought to herself: Ah, confirmed, a girl, and then: an impostor! Please take a look at the scene. She is forcefully holding Akira against her will. I call that disrespecting another person. What would you have thought if Akira had demasked Arika that way upon first meeting?
I have taken a look at the scene. Several times, in fact. I am not blind. I would have thought that Akira was doing her job. Shizuru had no idea what the intent was behind the facade Akira was using. Was their an assassination attempt planned? Was there an attempt to steal technology planned? Who knew? Directness is often the best way to get to the heart of a matter. Garderobe, for all intents and purposes, is a municipality that governs itself. As such, Shizuru's role is similar to the secret police or spy agency. Trust me, you won't get such as a by-your-leave if you encroach on their territory under less than honest pretenses.
Quote:
Hmm... It is the one thing she says she cares about.
It seems that you are harping on one line as a means to define her entire existence at Garderobe and to define her completely. What a ridiculous notion! Shizuru offers to help Arika with her studies but she didn't really need to take a personal hand in things to find out information about the contract between Mashiro and Arika (god knows everyone ELSE knew about it). Shizuru has always shown fondness for Arika and even to Nina, despite giving her a good crack to get her head back in the game. Shizuru leapt into battle as she was ordered as Natsuki wanted her to go after Aswald but was prevented by Midori. Midori asks a question, Shizuru answers it honestly but I doubt that is her only reason.
Quote:
Do you have a scene/situation where it is clear she cares about other people other than for material reasons like her job would ask her to do? Anywhere where she jumps into action to help people outside of her job? I'm not aware that Sunrise paints her that way; happens a lot for other people, most notably Arika, that way, though.
How is it that you can possibly think you know for sure anything about Shizuru after, what, 12 episodes, only a few of which she was in predominantly? I say, let the series play out and then I might entertain your absolute theories.
Kieli is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 17:32   Link #14
Kieli
Maki Maki Shoujo
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Blue Ridge Mountain High
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anime Adoru
Maybe. Not sure. Are there more people here who think this was sexual rather than political aggressive?
It's Shizuru. It seems that people are more willing to view her as a molester and rapist from Mai HiME than to view Otome Shizuru as a different entity. True, she is playful and suggestive, but she's never been shown to truly molest anyone (well other than the massage scene with Natsuki by the pool) thus far.
Kieli is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 17:44   Link #15
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Ah, confirmed, a girl, and then: an impostor! Please take a look at the scene. She is forcefully holding Akira against her will. I call that disrespecting another person. What would you have thought if Akira had demasked Arika that way upon first meeting?
I would have thought - well done Akira, it was blooody obvious this wasn't the real Queen. Seriously, what's your problem with Shizuru being suspicious of an imposter? Disrespecting another person? I would call it more of an attempt to arrest this person and quite a justified attemt, too.

Quote:
Hmm... It is the one thing she says she cares about. Do you have a scene/situation where it is clear she cares about other people other than for material reasons like her job would ask her to do?
Does she have to care about other people? After all, you can have egoistical characters and I like such characters if they are well developed. For instance, Nao in Mai HiME.

I don't like Shizuru one bit and I still can't believe that I am actually defending her (such is the power of boredom...) but I still don't find your arguments to be too convincing. But you get bonus points for going agaisnt the dominant opinion.

Quote:
People suffering from some type of insanity and mental instability aside, no one will be able to hold a grudge against Arika for long.
Except me, you mean?
Matrim is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 18:21   Link #16
deathsvengeance
Dreams in Fear
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: PA
Age: 32
Anime Adoru and Kieli:

I personally think the slap (to Nina) was symbolic of Nina's rough life. The slap was a "pull yourself together and think clearly" action. Nina clearly wasn't responding to anything else and she was disrespecting her superiors by eavesdropping and attempting to go against orders.

I don't think Shizuru is cold at all, if she was cold and didn't care about others, why would she slap Nina or care about Nina at all?

Anyway, my personal view about Shizuru is that she is a sexual predator lol Honestly most of the time I don't even think of her as female because she acts more like a horny man :P
deathsvengeance is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 21:27   Link #17
coefficientX
mayo is yummy~(‘∇’)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Shizuru's room *hopefully*
I am seriously sick of people calling Shizuru a molester.

In her act of pinning Akira, is there ANY contact between the 2 of them except hands? I don't see holding firmly on Akira's wrists means molestation. Moreover Akira is the hostile one so i don't see any fault with Shizuru acting on self-defense. When you want to prevent someone to hit you or attack you, if you are stronger than that attacker, the best way is to hold firmly on that attacker's wrist to stop him/her. I know this because I always hold my mum's hand firmly whenever she tries to hit me. I mean children is not right to hit their parents right? So ain't the best way is to stop them from hitting you? Ok back to topic...

Just because she likes Natsuki, does not mean that she is a molester. If that is so, does that mean all the straight guys in the world are molesters?

Really, many people just think that because Shizuru likes Natsuki, because she is a lesbian, every act that she does is either molestation or make Natsuki jealous. WTH?

In ep2, i see hugging Arika and winking at Natsuki, as the signal to hint that they should take Arika into custody so they can find out more about that Souten sapphire without letting any other non-Garderobe personel know about it. If that is to make Natsuki jealous, Natsuki would have blushed or show her usual pissed-off look. Moreover, by hugging Arika, Shizuru succeeded in 2 things: 1) Arika faints-in-kakoiii-shivers so Garderobe can take Arika into custody 2) Sergay will not be able to see Shizuru's hint to Natsuki (since Arika's head helps to cover the wink).

In ep3, Shizuru only hugs Arika help the latter materialise a robe that usually can't be done w/o the otome earring. IS THERE any instance u see a horny look on Shizuru's face?

In ep9, the applying of suntan lotion is a nice fanservice from Sunrise. But still, that does not mean Shizuru's love is answered by Natsuki. IMO, sad to say, Natsuki still loves Shizuru as a friend only.
Do you know that applying suntan lotion on a good friend's back is seriously a very very normal act between girls? Girls-to-girls are alot alot more physical than guys-to-guys. Often, do u see 2 girls holding each other hands, share food, feed each other. These are ONLY acts between two good friends. Even when trying out personal stuffs such as bras, it is absolutely normal and common that you ask your girl-friend how does it look on you. Sometimes, girls attack each others boobs (yeah squeeze and punch) but all these do not mean lesbianism. Girls often tease each other too! What i am trying to point out is, that physical actions between girls, DO NOT signify lesbianism NOR molestation.

So please watch Mai-Otome normally and stop thinking that every actions that Shizuru does, means she is horny or she wants to molest someone.
coefficientX is offline  
Old 2005-12-29, 22:00   Link #18
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Orlando
Oh, and one moooore~ thing:

I've never hated Shizuru, even when she went to the 'darkside' in MH. I pitied her though and after seeing MO, I realize why. MO Shizuru doesn't have NEARLY as much social pressure on her as did MH Shizuru. MO Shizuru doesn't have to worry about Natsuki not liking her because she knows that Natsuki does like her (probably not in that way). They have a close friendship as one would expect of a former Oneesama-Coral. Shizuru got all the touchy/feely stuff out of the way when they were younger. ^^; Besides, in MO, close female contact/frienship is encouraged in Guaderobe - its an annomly in MH Fuuka Gauken.

Both her and Natsuki are mature women now, teenage issues are over and done with, and they both are in a comfortable stride with each other. No outside pressure can interfere with them and say that what they have isn't right or morally acceptable by society - at least to Shizuru's face.
Tempest35 is offline  
Old 2005-12-30, 04:26   Link #19
Anime Adoru
Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by coefficientX
In ep2, i see hugging Arika and winking at Natsuki, as the signal to hint that they should take Arika into custody so they can find out more about that Souten sapphire without letting any other non-Garderobe personel know about it. If that is to make Natsuki jealous, Natsuki would have blushed or show her usual pissed-off look. Moreover, by hugging Arika, Shizuru succeeded in 2 things: 1) Arika faints-in-kakoiii-shivers so Garderobe can take Arika into custody 2) Sergay will not be able to see Shizuru's hint to Natsuki (since Arika's head helps to cover the wink).
I read it almost exactly the same way with one difference: For a short moment Shizuru pretends to kiss Arika, probably to keep Arika mesmerized and to make some fun of Natsuki as well. Natsukis expression, put in to the next frame, was one of surprise about that action. Natsuki didn't display dismay, which shows the stength of their relationship.
Anime Adoru is offline  
Old 2005-12-30, 18:53   Link #20
Pazu
F
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: PL
Quote:
Originally Posted by coefficientX
I am seriously sick of people calling Shizuru a molester.
(sorry, couldn't stop myself... )

I agree. We don't see Shizuru molesting anybody...except Natsuki

But lot of people do like to think about her like about molester and sexmaniac. Somehow it is not so difficult. Check this out answering questions below.

based on ep.12
1. Why Shizuru noticed that 'prince' is not a prince
A. she saw no adam apple
B. her CGR worked
2. Why she didn't tell Natsuki
A. she wasn't sure
B. she was afraid of Natsuki's comment "There is only one thing in your head"
3. Why she was prying Akira
A. to make herself sure
B. because she has peeping net around Garderobe and it is her habit
(I wonder if Natsuki knows about it...Naaah, she is main target )
4.Why she was holding Akira
A. to defend herself from Akira's attack
B. for some moment of ... pleasure
5. Why she gave Arika permission to materialise
A. to have some help
B. again, for moment of pleasure

so...
if your answers are:
A. - well, who are you? we are talking about Shizuru here
B. - you know, people can think about something else than sex...
(even in Shizuru's presence )

and that is the way it works. more or less.
Pazu is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.