AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-01-13, 01:19   Link #21
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz
WORST ANIME EVER
holy crap! that's the best explanation I've ever heard!!!!

anyways...(throws zzz off a cliff)

I kinda had to keep going back and watching some parts cause I would look away for a moment and come back and be like "wtf?" lol. It seems really interesting, so I'll give this series a chance...but damn the second episode won't be out till April!? O_O;; Also, non-stop action isn't a bad think
Mr. DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-13, 19:51   Link #22
molitar

I really enjoyed this show. I don't know how anyone that watches anime couldn't pick up enough of the show since I never saw that Aura Battler Dunbine or read about it. She said the wings only come out to a troubled world. So they are to bring peace and they were her fathers who came from Japan probably through some accident and came out in their world in a jet fighter. Now the wings bring her out into this world and on top of that right next to a military base.. Seems their is renegades trying to take Japan back and a war is brewing... so they are all uneasy than throw a bunch of flying battleships in the mix and you got non-stop chaos. Very entertaining.. can't wait to see more.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-14, 04:52   Link #23
wao
OK.

I can safely say this is one of the most entertaining mech shows I've seen in a long while. Frankly speaking, I like this a lot - not just for its good quality in general, but I genuinely enjoyed watching it. It might not seem deep and it might seem a little confusing but it was a great ride.

Personally, I really like how we're practically thrown into the chaos - and that is how it should be!! When you're under attack from such fantastic enemies that have flying battleships and a princess that has wings on her legs, OF COURSE you'd be in a state of utter confusion! Everything rushes by so quickly, but I remember what happened.

There was nice animation - well, it's Sunrise and an OVA so you could expect that much, and nice use of colours IMO. The fact that the sparkly sparkly bits were multicoloured really didn't bother me. I liked the designs as well - detailed, and I liked how the characters looked, clean and eye-catching but not absurd. The art of course, is very lovely - great use of colours, and it goes very well with the animation colours.

Perhaps its because it's a low-quality raw, but I got a bit of a nostalgic feeling to the whole thing, too. It might be the storyboarding. The storyboarding IMO is really awesome - very exciting, and also full of interesting details. One bit I really liked was when the old guy was talking and those two guys sneaked off. It made you interested but didn't entirely distract you from the old guy either. The camera shots were also great - especially the human flying bits, they really were quite awesome... also the fireball bit. In fact, the flying-boots-with-music bit near the end really reminded me of Ghibli. That's always a good thing!

And even the characters are likeable and interesting - the great seiyuus also help, I can't help but be in awe at how good Jun Fukuyama is... I find the princess character very cool as well, she's not the usual Spunky Character type of person, she's got real confidence and she's quite aware of what's going on... like when the pilot and dude were arguing she was looking outside. Oh, and I have to say I absolutely loved that bit where the pilot said "This is our plane" and she pushed the guy's head smack to the window and made him look outside
I also liked the part where the main guy's two friends got off the ship with a ladder and one guy fell on the other, and that guy kind of pushed off the guy who fell on him. I just liked the way it was animated... it felt surprisingly real to me, and also perhaps a funny poke at all the yaoi fangirls out there.

I also like how the show doesn't take itself uber-seriously: alright, it might be just me, but I got a very comic vibe from some bits. It's fun. In a sense. Dramatic fun. So the kamikaze pilot (which I agree, was really weird) actually was really, really funny to me. I kind of laughed... even if that wasn't intended, who cares, I'm enjoying myself too much to bother.

Perhaps I enjoyed this show a lot more than usual because I came in not trying to expect anything out of it. I've had a great time watching this; it's a real pity that the next episode is coming in three months time! I'm actually interested in the story. Ahhh...
Old 2006-03-03, 01:13   Link #24
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Looking forward to Wings of Rean

I'm gonna wait til alot more eps are availiable before I watch it...I'll build a little anticipation and have more eps to watch...These reviews really have me excited as if a new Tomino series doesn't excite me enuff...I just finished watching KingGainer a few weeks ago and really liked Tomino's attempt at going against his mode of character-immersive mecha (Gainer was hist first mecha series that I've seen from him that focuses more indepthly on the mecha instead of the characters and plot)...So I don't really know what to expect or what atmosphere his newest mecha series will try and achieve...But the old dude is brilliant so i'm sure it'll be good...

What groups are doing it? The ep 1 that I dl from torrents@suki wasn't very visually pleasing so I decided to wait for another group...I'd need a link to watch it via the Bandai-netcast, but who knows if they sub the darn thing...

From what I read in NEWTYPE I was under the impression it was a full series, but I guess it's an OVA series which I find kinda dissapointing...How many episodes are planned?
Old 2006-03-03, 08:08   Link #25
Zappster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness
What groups are doing it? The ep 1 that I dl from torrents@suki wasn't very visually pleasing so I decided to wait for another group...I'd need a link to watch it via the Bandai-netcast, but who knows if they sub the darn thing...

From what I read in NEWTYPE I was under the impression it was a full series, but I guess it's an OVA series which I find kinda dissapointing...How many episodes are planned?
Most of your questions are answered here: http://animesuki.com/series.php/737.html

As for the groups, at this moment in time only mahou are doing it I think and from what I recall the reason why it "wasn't very visually pleasing" was because of the method of broadcasting it, at least that's what some of the mahou guys said when I was in their channel at the time it was released. Since it'll eventually be out on DVD you may get a more visually pleasing version if mahou decide to redo the episode using the DVDs. Hope that helps
Zappster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-28, 10:40   Link #26
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
Oh, man, episode 2 was absolutely off the hook. 8)

The pace is still maddening and they get straight into action. With episode 2 this series started reminding me a lot of the "Tenkuu no Escaflowne" (one of the best anime series ever), but without any interludes, just straight "main plot".

Also in comparison to Escaflowne, ep. 2 was a lot less "technological" and a lot more "magical". In fact, it all seems to be heading towards a more magical andventure, rather that "normal guy in parrallel world"-type of science-fiction.

Spoiler:

OK, let me say a few things here. Aura Battlers look amazing and move just splendidly. 3DCG looks very polished, even more so than in the previous episode with all the battleships.

I like the new characters, especially Lux's stepmom, Kodor (she is Sakomizu's second wife). She has a very interesting character design and a commanding presense. Some of the stuff was a bit funny, like Aesop's cell-phone working in Hojo (don't ask me how, it's just magic, I guess) and the continuing hilarity of kids piloting a next-gen fighter jet.

But, all in all, it was quite sattisfying and I think they've adapted to new surroundings rather fast. Still love the awesome ending song by Anna Tsuchiya. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-29, 00:12   Link #27
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO Send a message via Skype™ to Onizuka-GTO
Hey. its not bad! im glad you people kept being negative about it.

If not i would of gone in with high expectation, and be disappointed.

And yeah the ending song is good.
This is quite nostalgic to be honest, reminds me of...mmm....erm...the....bloke who got sent to a different dimension, and looks abit like Tenchi?...forgot the name of the anime..it had armoured techno bugs in it, and this woman who had a key stuck in her back that you could wind up......

anyway..nice first episode.

wish there was a higher quality source but oh well...shouldn't complain about official free stuff
Old 2006-04-29, 02:18   Link #28
wao
OK.

Waaargh! Why did ep 2 end where it did? It's so frustrating, I really enjoy this show and I really want to see more, ohwell..

But yeah, ep 2 was as hectic as ep 1 - and I must say the Aura Battlers really lookd awesome, it's an example of Good CG in use!

I suppose this show is less character-based but is more concerned with the stories, and the characters, while not ignored, don't get very much explanation or anything. Although you can't really get any development of characters when 2 eps took place in less than a day...
Spoiler:

Ahhh... and as usual, I love the designs...
Old 2006-04-29, 06:27   Link #29
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
This is quite nostalgic to be honest, reminds me of...mmm....erm...the....bloke who got sent to a different dimension, and looks abit like Tenchi?...forgot the name of the anime..it had armoured techno bugs in it, and this woman who had a key stuck in her back that you could wind up......
Dual. The only official Eva rip-off ever. Yet, it was supported by GAINAX, as far as i remember. 8)
Old 2006-04-29, 06:33   Link #30
wao
OK.

But am I the only one who finds this show REALLY fun? I genuinely felt very happy after watching it - just like the old days when I was first watching anime and would feel a sense of awesomeness after the ending credits... Even though nothing much has actually happened, there's just something about the pace and presentation and the characters that feels nostalgic (but not in the 70's-80's sense - I wasn't even born then!)... I guess that's Tomino magic, huh?

The fast pace makes me feel like it's actually a movie chopped up into small bits, but that's all fine with me.

I kind of like the music, too... it really enhances some scenes (for some reason I liked the bit when Lux and Aesop went into that nicely bizarre waterworld)
Old 2006-04-29, 08:30   Link #31
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Dual. The only official Eva rip-off ever. Yet, it was supported by GAINAX, as far as i remember. 8)
wrong. not dual.

im not talking about dual. I liked dual. it was a funny parody anime series, it was even parody by Tenchi GXP at the end.

anyway no it wasn't that....its like the male version of Escaflowne, one of the character was the male leads teacher who was later brought back with him to this other world, this women who's a magician was crazy powerful but every time this male teacher was around she'll fake distress just s he would come and save her
It was made around 1992-4, it was made before TENCHI MUYO!
...dammit its bugging me to hell.
i'll give anyone a cookie if they can tell me the name. dammit.

But yeah its similiar to this.

can't wait for for second episode.
Old 2006-04-29, 11:09   Link #32
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

El Hazard? Another great show. It's from 1995, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
But am I the only one who finds this show REALLY fun?
I like this show too, so you're not the only one. 8) And yes, the magical underwater world was loads of fun. The whole "different" feel of Hojo made episode 2 much better than the first for me. 8)
Old 2006-04-30, 00:36   Link #33
wao
OK.

Hm... did I hear it correctly or near the end of ep 2 did
Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-30, 01:09   Link #34
MarcusG
Remember Law of Ueki

Oh theres an episode 2 out. I gotta to go find it. Although episode 1 was a little crazy I still think that it has some hope in the future.
MarcusG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-30, 01:53   Link #35
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Hm... did I hear it correctly or near the end of ep 2 did
Spoiler:
Did he? I confess I missed that part. But they are definitely breaking conventions with that. How often do you see that kind of question in a beginning of a show (instead of the more usual end)? 8)))
Old 2006-04-30, 10:13   Link #36
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
El Hazard? Another great show. It's from 1995, though.

I like this show too, so you're not the only one. 8) And yes, the magical underwater world was loads of fun. The whole "different" feel of Hojo made episode 2 much better than the first for me. 8)

THATS THE ONE!!! EL HAZARD!!!!

*gives Mr prophet a cookie*

And yes ,Wao-chan i find this series really fun.

I think this anime has the early 90's kinda feel, its nice.

thos 90's animes always seem to last longer then modern episodes, maybe because they seem to contain more story telling element? oh well,

im tempt to watch the 2nd ep raw.....

Old 2006-07-02, 23:04   Link #37
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Woohoo! Wings of Rean is licensed. Good news! 8)

By Bandai Visual too. I am really surprised it's BV USA, but not BEI. After what BV did to Patlabor and the announcement of Gunbuster license, I couldn't be happier.

Now, do I really need to spell it out about Overman King Gainer? License it too, pronto!
Old 2006-07-02, 23:19   Link #38
aardvark

Quote:
Woohoo! Wings of Rean is licensed. Good news! 8)

By Bandai Visual too. I am really surprised it's BV USA, but not BEI. After what BV did to Patlabor and the announcement of Gunbuster license, I couldn't be happier.

Now, do I really need to spell it out about Overman King Gainer? License it too, pronto!
Actually King Gainer is already licenced by Bandai Entertainment, and all 6 DVDs are already out.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-27, 23:45   Link #39
molitar

Well can't wait to see more of this little series. I watched all of Aura Battler Dunbine from Netflix and it was a good show. Now I understand what is happening in Wings of Rean and can't wait to see more of this one.
molitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-05, 22:35   Link #40
wao
OK.

I just watched episode 3 raw since it finally appeared (althoguh the show's long over by now, isn't it...) and shucks, I am confused.

Spoiler:

Yaargh, I just watn to watch episode 4 and 5 now already...